Jared Cook?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Report: Jared Cook in Green Bay, set to sign with Packers
Posted by Darin Gantt on March 28, 2016, 8:52 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptaymgy1zjkwytgynwmwnmuxyza3ytbhmdm0ntcznthm-e1418818364832.jpeg
AP
The Packers under General Manager Ted Thompson are known for their patient approach to free agency, with patient a euphemism for what seems like open disdain.

But they may be close to making their annual move.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, former Rams tight end Jared Cookis in Green Bay and is set to sign.

The Packers brought Cook in for a visit two weeks ago, kicking the tires on a guy who was once a high-profile free agent signing (getting a five-year, $35 million deal from the Rams). But his production dipped, and the Rams cut him in February before the move to Los Angeles.

Since he was released, he wouldn’t count against the Packers in the compensatory pick formula, which is part of the way they do business. And he’s shown in the past he can be a weapon, and would give them someone to pair with Richard Rodgersas targets for Aaron Rodgers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Packers to sign tight end Jared Cook
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000648322/article/packers-to-sign-tight-end-jared-cook

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15082273/jared-cook-sign-contract-green-bay-packers

Stop the presses: Green Bay has ventured into the free-agent market. The Packers are expected to sign veteran tight end Jared Cook to a one-year $3.6 million deal, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday. Cook, who is in Green Bay at the moment taking a physical on a deal that was agreed to last week, would contest for the No. 1 spot on the team's depth chart and provide a consistent receiving threat for Aaron Rodgers.
Despite the fact that tight end Richard Rodgers was second on the team in receptions last year with 58 (for 510 yards and eight touchdowns), Green Bay was hoping for some additional help to open up the middle of the field. Andrew Quarless played in just five games last year before landing on injured reserve. He is currently a free agent.
Cook, 28, comes to Green Bay after three solid seasons in St. Louis. Since 2013, Cook logged 142 catches for 1,786 yards and eight touchdowns. The former Titan was a third-round draft pick back in 2009. We made a joke about the Packers in free agency at the beginning of this post and hope it was taken that way. For anyone who follows along on Twitter, we were excited about a piece by the Acme Packing Co. about Ted Thompson in free agency, and why he takes far more flack than he deserves. The Packers are a homegrown organization and prefer to operate that way. The post does a nice job of explaining why.

What Thompson does do is linger in free agency and strike when the time is right. Richard Rodgers is a good tight end, but pairing him with a quick, rangy, vertical player can only make him better. The Packers suffered at times last year due to their struggle to find consistent, reliable help.Cook should go a little ways toward fixing that problem.

What Thompson does do is linger in free agency and strike when the time is right. Richard Rodgers is a good tight end, but pairing him with a quick, rangy, vertical player can only make him better. The Packers suffered at times last year due to their struggle to find consistent, reliable help.

Cook should go a little ways toward fixing that problem.

What Thompson does do is linger in free agency and strike when the time is right. Richard Rodgers is a good tight end, but pairing him with a quick, rangy, vertical player can only make him better. The Packers suffered at times last year due to their struggle to find consistent, reliable help.

Cook should go a little ways toward fixing that problem.
What Thompson does do is linger in free agency and strike when the time is right. Richard Rodgers is a good tight end, but pairing him with a quick, rangy, vertical player can only make him better. The Packers suffered at times last year due to their struggle to find consistent, reliable help.Cook should go a little ways toward fixing that problem.

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Packers suffered at times last year due to their struggle to find consistent, reliable help.Cook should go a little ways toward fixing that problem.

For the first time in his career, Cook will be reliable? I mean, I'm sure he'll have some big plays. But a reliable receiver? Not so much

Ram Man

Rookie
Cook will be the Packer's 2nd TE behind Richard Rogers. When I judge a player I always factor in his contract as part of the evaluation. That's why I HATED Cook on the Rams. He has the size and speed to be an elite TE. Never played well for the Rams. It's early but the initial numbers on his contract with the Packers are 1 year at $3.6M. If true, that may be reasonable for him given the expectation that he'll play better this year. Reasons for the expectation of improved performance:
1. Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball instead of Nick Foles, etc.;
2. Packers prolific offense that sustains drives will result in playing against tired defenses;
3. defenses will pay no attention to Cook as the Packers should be a formidable set of offensive weapons; and
4. with a 1 year contract Cook will be in a contract year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
For the first time in his career, Cook will be reliable? I mean, I'm sure he'll have some big plays. But a reliable receiver? Not so much
Well they repeated it 3 times in the article maybe it is an incantation to make sure it stick????:sneaky:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Will be watching him in Green Bay for sure. I'm very curious about his production there with Rodgers and a legit #1 WR on the field in Jordy Nelson.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Will be watching him in Green Bay for sure. I'm very curious about his production there with Rodgers and a legit #1 WR on the field in Jordy Nelson.
Yep Mojo, you need to have one of the best QB's in the NFL that can embed the pigskin up Jared posterior so it remains on Jared body & a seriously legit #1 deep threat @ WR to clear out all those DB who can throw a fist on the football for Jared Cook to be surrounded with to be worth his TE roster spot. I think Jared is a minus to any team unless you have such a duo as the Pack to make Jared a consideration. Sure says a lot about what I think Jared brings to the NFL in his play.:palm:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No the fans were just being fans there is no right or wrong about it and revisionist history is easy. You'll learn more as you get older.

This isn't revisionist history. I've already posted the thread and proved it isn't. This isn't a case of hindsight. Many of the people on this forum wanted Cook gone at the time.

There is right and wrong. The fans were right.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I'll be the first to say Cook is close to or over 1,000 yards with Rogers.
A real offense and QB makes a big difference. Drops or not.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
This isn't revisionist history. I've already posted the thread and proved it isn't. This isn't a case of hindsight. Many of the people on this forum wanted Cook gone at the time.

There is right and wrong. The fans were right.
Yes, jrry it is revisionist history, it did not happen, it was someone's pipe dream after they we made because he didn't do something they thought he should, it was nothing more than a a rant. Now he is gone to a team that has more weapons, they are paying him less (why couldn't the Rams get that deal?) and he will be in a better position to succeed. Hopefully they will replace him with someone who can at least replace his production, they are already limited and losing anyone on this offense is a problem.

But I get it, you want to be vindicated this too shall pass.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
In his defense, when you get targeted 6 times a game and : 2 sail way over your head and 2 hit the ground 5 feet in front of you, it's hard to get in any kind of rythm. He was probably surprised any time he had a catchable ball. I know he's a pro and should have caught them all, but I won't be surprised if he has a good year.

Ram Man

Rookie
Hopefully they will replace him with someone who can at least replace his production...

That's the sad part. There is nobody on the roster that can replace his terrible production. They signed no free agent to replace him. If some on these boards get what they want the Rams will trade their picks this year to move up in the draft to get a QB. If that happens, the Rams will not have a draft pick this year to use on a TE good enough to help next year.

Sad.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Aaron Rodgers throws with his left hand, it will still be the best QB Cook has gotten to play with in the NFL

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I'll be the first to say Cook is close to or over 1,000 yards with Rogers.
A real offense and QB makes a big difference. Drops or not.
Sure he'll drop a lot - but he'll also catch a lot. Glad he's gone but wouldn't be surprised if he completely annihilates the numbers he put up here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
hat's the sad part. There is nobody on the roster that can replace his terrible production.
I don't know. If they expand Kendricks' role a little, he could easily match what Cook was doing.

5fIpqr8.jpg

Nzx0LWr.jpg
-- Jared Cook (best season)
ptrCBjx.jpg
-- Lance Kendricks (best season)