It looks like Blythe gets the start over Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Do you have a position in mind because I don't see Brown being used at any other position on the starting unit other than RG.
Yes ......in relieving Rodger Saffold @ LG when needed. If Jamon Brown is going to be our top reserve then he should get some time in working more than just one post. Get Brown up to par @ being a swing OG & now were going places. If Blythe does continue as the 2018 season starter @RG with Rob Havenstien....& Saffold is not signed to a new contract in 6 months then he has a place to play IF he signs back with us. JB played 2 full season his last 2 yr in college on the left side plus he began his Ram career starting @ LG back in 2015.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Yes ......in relieving Rodger Saffold @ LG when needed. If Jamon Brown is going to be our top reserve then he should get some time in working more than just one post. Get Brown up to par @ being a swing OG & now were going places. If Blythe does continue as the 2018 season starter @RG with Rob Havenstien....& Saffold is not signed to a new contract in 6 months then he has a place to play IF he signs back with us. JB played 2 full season his last 2 yr in college on the left side plus he began his Ram career starting @ LG back in 2015.
I can understand your line of reasoning, and that very well may be the way it turns out.
But I'm leaning towards another possibility, where Brown now being expendable, especially since we have Blythe under contract for a couple of yesrs, will be let go. I'm also of the opinion that Saffold will be resigned considering that Havenstein, Blythe, Allen, and Noteboom could probably use some stabilizing experience on the line.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PFF graded Blythe very highly this week . Not sure why we would switch from him.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-week-3-sunday-standouts-offense

G Austin Blythe, Los Angeles Rams, 83.7 Overall Grade
One of the men keeping Goff clean against the Los Angeles Chargers pass-rush was right guard Austin Blythe. Blythe did not surrender a single pressure in 38 pass-blocking snaps and was one of three Rams offensive linemen to accomplish that feat. He was also very effective in opening lanes for Todd Gurley, recording a run blocking grade of 77.2.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Chargers two starting NT's Brandon Mebane & Darius Philon are tough run blockers. Mebane has always tore the Rams OL up. Both are around 6 ft tall. Mebane has been party'ing for 12 yrs now @ around 315 lbs & the other @ 305lbs. Hard to move those 2 Nose Tackles around in a tight small box.

Yesterday was an excellent task for our new dinky OG & while Blyhte has some rough moments & he may not score any highlight reels, he passed the test in keeping Goff upright & unmolested to get the ball out & get out of the game with only a few sore spots. OG Jamon Brown saw action in Special Teams yesterday & I am sure he will begin to get mixed back in the offense but it may not be @ RG. ;)

Blythe is solid...even if he ends up providing depth..he's been a great find for us.....

but Jamon really played well last season.... and I was doubting he would going into last year...but he really showed a lot...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Blythe is solid...even if he ends up providing depth..he's been a great find for us.....

but Jamon really played well last season.... and I was doubting he would going into last year...but he really showed a lot...
I would have no issues with the Rams making a major effort in keeping this OL as is together as long as possible. That means the offering of two good size contracts to Rodger Saffold & Jamon Brown. We are seeing & reaping the rewards in our offense due to this OL. As we all know its all starts up front.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Early NFL Season Breakout Stars We Didn't See Coming
Los Angeles Rams OG Austin Blythe

By Paul Kasabian September 26, 2018

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...on-breakout-stars-we-didnt-see-coming#slide56 of 8
  1. 26a76781de2bbef5f602c9fbb1ffac64_crop_exact.jpg

Picked in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts, interior lineman Austin Blythe lasted just one year with his first team, playing in eight games and earning one start. He landed with the Los Angeles Rams the following year and still didn't see much playing time, starting just one game and playing 19.07 percent of snaps.

However, Blythe became the Rams' starting right guard when the NFL suspended guard Jamon Brown two games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

The third-year pro took advantage of his opportunity, as he excelled as part of a Rams offense that accounted for 60 of the team's 67 points through two weeks.

Blythe received much praise for his efforts. Cameron DaSilva of Rams Wire said Blythe was "better the past two weeks than Brown was at any point last season." Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register called him "superb" through two weeks.

Even Brown admitted (via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN) that Blythe "played well the first two weeks" and "that he earned and deserved every right to continue to keep that up."

Blythe started Week 3 and once again acted as one-fifth of a dominant offensive line. In a 35-23 Rams win over the Los Angeles Chargers, the team rushed for 4.9 yards per carry, and quarterback Jared Goff completed 29 of 36 passes for 354 yards and three touchdowns. He was only sacked once.

The Rams look unbeatable right now, and Blythe has played an important role on that front.

James Otto

Starter
I saw him get beat and manhandled on more than one play...I thought at the time(s) "Brown wouldn't have got used that way." No matter, I like Blythe..

Blythe is graded at 83.1 by PFF, #1 guard in the entire NFL. Only given up 1 pressure all season.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prime example of another thread started today. Blythe was the highest rated lineman on PFF’s highest rated line and it’s not good enough for some. He opened some holes for Gurley to run through that even some of us could have run through for touchdowns! Yet it’s not good enough because a very good lineman got the best of him once or twice. According to pff we should bench Saffold not Blythe. Maybe Kromer and McVay aren’t that smart after all.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I can’t see why we wouldn’t offer Blythe an extension towards the end of the season if Blythe stays playing lights out.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is why coaching matters.

Would Blythe be his current self in Indy? Prolly not.

Ram65

Legend
Early NFL Season Breakout Stars We Didn't See Coming
Los Angeles Rams OG Austin Blythe

By Paul Kasabian September 26, 2018

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...on-breakout-stars-we-didnt-see-coming#slide56 of 8
  1. 26a76781de2bbef5f602c9fbb1ffac64_crop_exact.jpg

Picked in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL draft by the Indianapolis Colts, interior lineman Austin Blythe lasted just one year with his first team, playing in eight games and earning one start. He landed with the Los Angeles Rams the following year and still didn't see much playing time, starting just one game and playing 19.07 percent of snaps.

However, Blythe became the Rams' starting right guard when the NFL suspended guard Jamon Brown two games for violating the league's substance-abuse policy.

The third-year pro took advantage of his opportunity, as he excelled as part of a Rams offense that accounted for 60 of the team's 67 points through two weeks.

Blythe received much praise for his efforts. Cameron DaSilva of Rams Wire said Blythe was "better the past two weeks than Brown was at any point last season." Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register called him "superb" through two weeks.

Even Brown admitted (via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN) that Blythe "played well the first two weeks" and "that he earned and deserved every right to continue to keep that up."

Blythe started Week 3 and once again acted as one-fifth of a dominant offensive line. In a 35-23 Rams win over the Los Angeles Chargers, the team rushed for 4.9 yards per carry, and quarterback Jared Goff completed 29 of 36 passes for 354 yards and three touchdowns. He was only sacked once.

The Rams look unbeatable right now, and Blythe has played an important role on that front.
Blythe is graded at 83.1 by PFF, #1 guard in the entire NFL. Only given up 1 pressure all season.

Looks like Blythe keeps his job. The pass blocking keeping Jared upright is a big deal. Good to have Brown ready just in case.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
He is just such a sound technician. He isn't the biggest or most athletic dude but he is really fun to watch block.

He understands how to gain leverage and just take a player out of the play. Has displayed some good balance and ability to get to the second level.

There was a play against the Chargers in which Mebane (I think that's who it was) actually threw Blythe out of his way. Sullivan put a chip on him as Blythe regained his balance then reengaged with Mebane and took him out of the play.

Gurley's TD against the Chargers Blythe had an incredible block and he was way excited then I saw every oline player go over and congratulate him.

Exciting times!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes it would be a good suggestion but for now the Rams will have Austin Blythe here playing for our team until 2020.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/austin-blythe-19202/

Well, through the Super Bowl after the 2019 season. So one more season than Brown and Saffold.

It'll be interesting to see which needs the team prioritizes in the draft. As good as the draft was, I think we're seeing that relying on 6th rounders means that they don't always work out, at least as fast or as fully as the team would like.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I saw him get beat and manhandled on more than one play...I thought at the time(s) "Brown wouldn't have got used that way." No matter, I like Blythe..
Blythe played brilliantly - #1 guard PFF 83.1 Overall Grade.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blythe played brilliantly - #1 guard PFF 83.1 Overall Grade.
*shrugs....Some like grades like that..My eyes saw our guy getting rag dolled, and I didn't like the look. To each his own

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ughhhh.
Even that was better than having to choose between Goldberg and whoever couldn't beat out Goldberg.
Christ, back when I did my OL reports, on every play. Every series Greco was in, we scored, every time Goldberg was in, we sucked, and the next week the battle of the Guards ended with....Goldberg winning the starting spot. Seriously bad coaching.

Blythe has been great. Keep him in there.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor