It looks like Blythe gets the start over Brown

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, it's likely that Brown can use a week of practice after taking a few weeks off. So stick with Blythe this week.

However, it's a short week next week, and chances are somebody will be beat up while Brown will be fresh, so I could see him playing in week 4.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
I like the move , guys been playing well no need to take him out .

More depth!!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jeff Fisher and Paul Boudreau have a conversation in the offseason after Jeff Fisher takes the job;

Fisher;
"Paul, you are still the best offensive line coach in the NFL can you come work for me?"

Boudreau;
" Sure Jeff, you know that my specialty is building O lines from scratch".

Fisher;
" That's fantastic because I decided to not have any continuity at all on the o-line and ditch everybody except of course our best O-lineman, Jason Smith".

Boudreau;
"This is fantastic because I know where a bunch of fantastic o linemen that have been scrapped from teams that we could use to put together an O line.
The only thing we need is an under sized, overrated Center who needs a knee operation. Do you have anybody in mind?"

Fisher;
"As a matter fact, I think Scott Wells is available.

Boudreau;
Great, let's sign him!
We'll pair him up with Quinn Ojannaka, Kevin Hunter and our great draft pick Rok Watkins".

Fisher;
Excellent. I'm so glad we fixed that problem.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Fisher deserves a lot of grief but Wells and Jake Long's persistent injuries really put them behind the 8-ball when it came to developing an oline.

Add to that the failure of Greg Robinson (scouting/couching) and even a magician couldn't have made a good oline out of what we had.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Jumbo lineup with Blythe, Brown, Havenstein forming the right side of the line.

Report Rob as Eligible. This would be a nightmare in the redzone, assuming that Rob can catch. 6 foot 8 BIG bodied dude running a little route on a play action play.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It’s amazing we have 6 starter-quality OL. McSneed are outplaying the league. There may be some strategic value to keeping Blythe as a backup, since he is our next up C while Brown could only replace a guard. Not even sure how well Brown would even do at LG.... And Sully’s already slightly dinged.

A55VA6

Legend
Blythe has been fantastic. He's playing at a really high level, so I'm glad the Rams are rolling with him.

…..

Legend
To be fair....those linemen are a close brotherhood. Blythe is playing up to the level of his brothers, as it should be. Its good to know that vets Sully, Whit, and Saffold can improve the youngsters like Brown, Blythe and Havenstein. I'd bet the communication between these guys is at an elevated level.

jmo

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair....those linemen are a close brotherhood. Blythe is playing up to the level of his brothers, as it should be. Its good to know that vets Sully, Whit, and Saffold can improve the youngsters like Brown, Blythe and Havenstein. I'd bet the communication between these guys is at an elevated level.

jmo
So you golfing during the game tomorrow? (thinks of last year :sneak:....)

…..

Legend
So you golfing during the game tomorrow? (thinks of last year :sneak:....)

naaaw mannnnnn///////I'd rather watch the coach of the year, the offensive player of the year, and the defensive player of the year. We didnt have that special circumstance last year!

actually I'm working rotating shifts and this is my weekend to work.......but I have Verizon so I should get the game on my phone!!!:yay:

and btw...my game sucks. So its an excuse to drink beer and wear nice pants. :sneaky:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Fisher deserves a lot of grief but Wells and Jake Long's persistent injuries really put them behind the 8-ball when it came to developing an oline.

Add to that the failure of Greg Robinson (scouting/couching) and even a magician couldn't have made a good oline out of what we had.
Except Jeff Fisher let everybody know that he had final say on football operations.
He knew Scott Wells needed a knee operation.
He knew Jake Long ended the prior 2 years in a row on IR.
He went with a super project in Greg Robinson when Matthews, was also available.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
There may be some strategic value to keeping Blythe as a backup, since he is our next up C while Brown could only replace a guard.
That is a really good point.

It prevents them from having to activate all three backups.
Allen for the center.
Brown for the guard.
Noteboom for the tackle.

Unless they go with Brown to back up the guard and tackle position and activate Allen for the center-guard.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s amazing we have 6 starter-quality OL. McSneed are outplaying the league. There may be some strategic value to keeping Blythe as a backup, since he is our next up C while Brown could only replace a guard. Not even sure how well Brown would even do at LG.... And Sully’s already slightly dinged.
Is he the backup center or is that Allen? Allen is also active on game days and the Rams depth chart on their site lists him as the #2 center.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Brown is solid.
His weakness as a pass blocker has certainly improved. But, it is still a weakness.
Brown is a player who has improved noticeably every year in both his pass blocking and is run blocking and his understanding his assignment on the play.

He is also HUGE and as a former tackle, versatile.

I could see them wanting to re-sign him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brown is a player who has improved noticeably every year in both his pass blocking and is run blocking and his understanding his assignment on the play.

He is also HUGE and as a former tackle, versatile.

I could see them wanting to re-sign him.
Maybe.
Couldn't really argue against it.
Saffold would be the priority I would think unless they have an alternative (Noteboom) at LG for a year or two.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe.
Couldn't really argue against it.
Saffold would be the priority I would think unless they have an alternative (Noteboom) at LG for a year or two.
I do think that this draft was an attempt to be able to set aside money for contracts they handed out this year.

If only two of the three players we drafted, (at this point it looks like Noteboom and Allen) end up starting they're going to save a lot of money.

fearsomefour

Legend
I do think that this draft was an attempt to be able to set aside money for contracts they handed out this year.

If only two of the three players we drafted, (at this point it looks like Noteboom and Allen) end up starting they're going to save a lot of money.
Being able to land a starting LT in the third round would be rather amazing. Noteboom did nothing but impress this preseason.
Allen looked solid as well.
Now that Havenstein is signed having options....Saffold, Brown, Allen, Blythe....to set the middle of the line makes a huge difference.
The depth situation seems much better this year than last.

Ram65

Legend
Nice to have to make a decision next week. Keep Blythe this week and let Brown get back to practicing. I'm sure how it plays out down the road. Blythe on the bench gives the Rams a little more versatility.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Is he the backup center or is that Allen? Allen is also active on game days and the Rams depth chart on their site lists him as the #2 center.
When Blythe was starting, Allen was definitely the backup center because I don't see them shifting two players over 1 injury.
Now that Brown is back he will definitely be a game-day active but it will be interesting to see who the other one, (or 2) is.

My guess is they definitely slide Blythe over or bring him off the bench rather than the rookie Allen as the backup center.

Last edited: