Isaiah Battle waived

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
M
People thinking our FO is bad because of a 5th round potential backup who didn't pan out how they wanted him to after 58 days was released.... People need to relax. 99% chance he clears waivers and he joins the PS and has his redshirt year just like they had planned. Why is this such a massive deal?
Man, I don't know. The kid has potential, but was clearly outplayed. Fans should be happy that we would cut him, to keep someone better, regardless of draft status. I think this regime, has always showed that.

Open competition. Play good and stick, flash potential, and get a chance, as he will on our PS. I have no problem with the chance we gave him, or the outcome. If he would have played better, he'd still be on the roster. He might make the roster some day. Story not over. Don't sleep on D. Williams, good story. Might end up being a factor, later this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rotoworld's sounding a little salty. Also we lack depth at every position? Even DE, DT and RB?

Sounds like one of our friends at Roto is a little assblast about the cuts.

that ain't nothing compared to this one.

Austin Davis - QB - Free Agent
Rams waived QB Austin Davis.

A 2014 folk hero fill-in for Sam Bradford, Davis was exposed as a mistake-prone backup after only a couple of starts, but is vastly better than 2015 third-rounder Sean Mannion, who has made the team. The Rams would apparently rather try to save face than keep the best 53 players. In a quarterback-starved league, Davis should latch on as someone else's No. 3 fairly quickly. The Rams have also waived/released TE Alex Bayer, S Christian Bryant, TE Justice Cunningham, DT Marcus Forston, CB Montell Garner, S Jacob Hagen, DE Martin Ifedi, FB Zach Laskey, DE Matt Longacre, LB Marshall McFadden, WR Daniel Rodriguez, DT Louis Trinca-Pasat and OG Brandon Washington.

haha, rotoworld is the pits when they give their opinion. just provide the updates bozos. nobody cares for your analysis.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
that ain't nothing compared to this one.

haha, rotoworld is the pits when they give their opinion. just provide the updates bozos. nobody cares for your analysis.

That is some BS commentary. Even if Davis is better than Mannion - at the moment - teams do this all the time.

What league does that guy normally cover? :huh:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I bet that person from Rotoworld is a regular on reddit.com/r/stlouisrams. I've seen juvenile commentary like that often there.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I think the fact that we have the Eagles 2nd round pick next year the FO wasn't really concerned about losing a 5th.That 5th probably gets cut it just got accelerated by a year.

So why even use the pick then??

What a waste of a pick. You pick a guy to redshirt him and then cut him six weeks later? lol.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So why even use the pick then??

What a waste of a pick. You pick a guy to redshirt him and then cut him six weeks later? lol.

I am kind of surprised too. No doubt they have structured his bonus to clear waivers and if someone picks him up, they have to keep him on their 53 man roster.

It's a gamble.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

How long do they have to keep a player on their team if they pick them up on waivers?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame

How long do they have to keep a player on their team if they pick them up on waivers?

Until they replace them with someone else I'd think - they have to go into the 53 so it is perhaps a bit unlikely that someone will pick him up - but I woudn't be too surprised.

Just really seems like a waste of a pick but perhaps we'll get to practice squad him in which case it won't be a total waste.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Once on the practice squad, if a team wants to sign one of your players the team has the option to promote to prevent it.

Perhaps a couple months down the road he'll be ready for a roster spot should that happen.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I like the gamble on Battle! He is clearly a year away from being a NFL tackle but if they'd waited until next year's draft he would go much higher than in the 5th round. If that were even an option since he declared for the supplemental?
Snisher is rolling the dice on being able to keep him stashed on the PS until they need him or next year, which ever comes first.

Smart move!

Big Willie

Starter
Per roto:

Rams waived OT Isaiah Battle.

The Rams saw fit to use a fifth-round pick on Battle on July's Supplemental Draft, but have cut the cord after only 58 days on the roster. It's a completely inexcusable waste of resources from a team that lacks depth at almost every position. Coach Jeff Fisher/GM Les Snead have routinely proven to have no idea how to best manage an NFL roster in the 21st century. The Rams will undoubtedly try to stash Battle on the practice squad, but he might not make it through waivers.
Surely Battle is not the first fifth round pick to get cut after being drafted. He may be the first to get cut a year before he is "technically" drafted.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So let me get this straight, the Rams drafted battle in the supplemental draft because they planned on red shirting him for2015. Now he's cut, will likely be on the PS and be around next year. Where was the outcry to the plan when he was selected? All makes sense to me.

Big Willie

Starter
I am kind of surprised too. No doubt they have structured his bonus to clear waivers and if someone picks him up, they have to keep him on their 53 man roster.

It's a gamble.
Plus a team that picks him up will have to rely on his college tape as from what I have seen he does not have any quality preseason tape.

FRO

Legend
So let me get this straight, the Rams drafted battle in the supplemental draft because they planned on red shirting him for2015. Now he's cut, will likely be on the PS and be around next year. Where was the outcry to the plan when he was selected? All makes sense to me.
I was against using a supplemental pick on the guy. The supplemental draft hasn't panned out at all and is smart to avoid. He could easily be picked up now and over the course of the year if on the practice squad teams can go after him. If we are all honest with ourselves you don't want 5th round picks that aren't good enough to make the 53. Is it the end of the world? No, but as of right now it doesn't look like a wise use of a draft pick, we haven't been good enough to be this loose with future assets.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was against using a supplemental pick on the guy. The supplemental draft hasn't panned out at all and is smart to avoid. He could easily be picked up now and over the course of the year if on the practice squad teams can go after him. If we are all honest with ourselves you don't want 5th round picks that aren't good enough to make the 53. Is it the end of the world? No, but as of right now it doesn't look like a wise use of a draft pick, we haven't been good enough to be this loose with future assets.

Seems to me that a 5th round pick seems to be a more of an asset to you than most.

Once on the practice squad, if a team wants to sign one of your players the team has the option to promote to prevent it.

Perhaps a couple months down the road he'll be ready for a roster spot should that happen.

Another note (if I'm not mistaken), any player signed off another team's practice squad has to be kept on that team's active roster for at least 3 regular season games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But it'll look wise if/when he clears waivers and is able to be developed properly. I think it was smart to put a price tag on him as he goes through the system, and that strategy should pay off. I agree about the supplemental draft not being a talent pool you can tap for instant stars, and that's why they threw a 5th at it. I mean, what are the odds that our 2016 5th rounder is going to pan out and be any better? That's just a chance you take with those late round picks. For every successful 5th rounder people can cite, I can probably cite 100 that are now working at GNC or are personal trainers at GOLDS. So, "future assets" is probably a stretch, all things considered.

How many of us wanted Harvey Unga years ago? *raises hand*
What's that cat doin' now?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Did Battle do anything while with the Rams?

Thanks V3 for asking the prefect question here.

Yes Battle let himself get beat out of his reserve OLT spot by a more prepared, more mature & more NFL ready 6-5 307 pound UDFA from tropical south Fl. Who had 29 starts @ OLT in college & awards. Who came from another country, becoming an American & learning to live in the greatest country in the world where dreams yet can come true with hard work. I am glad Darrell Williams is a Ram.

FRO

Legend
Look I am in agreement that a guy drafted in the 5th most likely will bust. The asset I'm talking about is trade value. It allowed us to move up in the second round in 2014 to get the player we really wanted. In 2012 we got a 5th round pick to move down in the draft. So if you want to move up in the draft a 5th round pick is an asset. I have also outlined some veteran starters that have been traded for less. I just don't understand the logic that wasting a 5th round pick is no big deal. It's not a franchise killer. In the whole scheme of things it's minor. I understand all of that. I also understand there is a solid chance battle is back with us next year and makes the 53. I understand all of that. I guess am unreasonable and want more return on investment.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look I am in agreement that a guy drafted in the 5th most likely will bust. The asset I'm talking about is trade value. It allowed us to move up in the second round in 2014 to get the player we really wanted. In 2012 we got a 5th round pick to move down in the draft. So if you want to move up in the draft a 5th round pick is an asset. I have also outlined some veteran starters that have been traded for less. I just don't understand the logic that wasting a 5th round pick is no big deal. It's not a franchise killer. In the whole scheme of things it's minor. I understand all of that. I also understand there is a solid chance battle is back with us next year and makes the 53. I understand all of that. I guess am unreasonable and want more return on investment.

Everybody would like each pick, regardless of round to come in and contribute from day one. That's just not realistic though. Everybody would love a Pro Bowler from 5th round picks who are so dominant they're on ESPN daily. That's just not realistic. It gets thrown around every year at the draft and a week after we all seem to forget it but the draft isn't for this year, we draft these guys to develop. How often do we hear we don't know a guys true value until his 3rd year . And while it's great that a guy like Williams was able to come in and show more in their rookie camps than Battle it doesn't mean that Battle is a failure. It simply means we found an exceptional UDFA in Williams. Just because after training camp the guy isn't where you'd hope doesn't mean he won't provide a return on his investment. An investment which by your own admission and we all agree was minimal.

We've all rooted for the Rams through a bad 10 year stretch. And fact is back in the Spagnola/Linehan days a guy like Battle drafted in the 5th round may have been needed to come in and contribute from day one. Thank God we're not in those days anymore. There is talent on this roster, the level is absolutely open for debate. It's hard though to not let emotion and past disappointments cloud our knee jerk reactions on cut down day.