Isaiah Battle waived

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well a 5th round pick is a valuable asset. He very well could be on the practice squad all year and go into camp next year and it will be all good. It is a risky maneuver though.

Define Valuable? How many 5th rounders contribute to their teams success in this league? How many 5th rounders play more than 2-3 years and I mean actually play?

I think you are overstating valuable. The Eagles just cut their 5th rounder from last year, Jalen Watkins. It happens all the time. I only question why they took him to begin with since they hadoso many young tackles. I assume it was the fact that they knew OL is the key this year so they just chose to carpet bomb that position to make sure they come out with a quality line with some depth. Camp just sorted out the position.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Here we have a raw underclassmen with character concerns who was selected in the 5th round of this year's supplemental draft and got beat out for a roster spot on a team not known for having a strong OLine (to date).

Again, I would be shocked if another team claims him. He'll probably be on the practice squad by noon tomorrow.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
Define Valuable? How many 5th rounders contribute to their teams success in this league? How many 5th rounders play more than 2-3 years and I mean actually play?

I think you are overstating valuable. The Eagles just cut their 5th rounder from last year, Jalen Watkins. It happens all the time. I only question why they took him to begin with since they hadoso many young tackles. I assume it was the fact that they knew OL is the key this year so they just chose to carpet bomb that position to make sure they come out with a quality line with some depth. Camp just sorted out the position.
I mentioned it in a previous post how it's a valuable trade piece if anything. Moore and Levitre were both traded for 6th rounders. We used a 5th round pick to trade up for Joyner. We aren't good enough to throw away any sort of asset.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Sio Moore was traded for a 6th round pick. He is a young talented LB. we traded a 5th round pick for Brandon Lloyd. 5th round picks can be good trade chips. If Battle was so far off that he couldn't make a roster spot, a 5th round pick is too rich of my blood to use.
Sio was injured all the time, hasn't lived up to his hype and was at odds with his team because of it. Brandon Lloyd was a prima donna who didn't want to go anywhere but with his bestie Josh Mac, thus giving the Rams an unusually high amount of leverage. The last time Lloyd was traded he fetched a third. Their stock dropped vastly because of their circumstances. 5th and 6ths aren't usually going to merit that much return.

A 5th in a supplementary draft isn't too bad for a guy to wait in the wings and try again next year.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Lotta overreaction to this. I mean, it's not like there haven't been duds in the supplemental. Not everyone is Josh fucking Gordon. You've got Terrelle Pryor, Harvey Unga, Josh Brent, Jeremy Jarmon, Paul Oliver, etc. Maybe they're trying to sneak him through waivers, or maybe he told Fisher to go fuck himself. I'm kinda waiting to hear the story before I make up my own though.

V3

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but it's definitely a better pay out than 5th rounders usually merit to begin with. One you get into the last three rounds imo you're hoping for good depth, not too many guys in our league that are stellar players come from that round.

Not a hard pick to part ways with for a turnover like that.

I don't see Washington going for another hotheaded prima donna while they're embroiled in the soap opera of the year with RG3. Adding more fuel into a fire like the one Gruden's got on his hands is probably the last thing they wanna do.
Did Battle do anything while with the Rams?

FRO

Legend
Sio was injured all the time, hasn't lived up to his hype and was at odds with his team because of it. Brandon Lloyd was a prima donna who didn't want to go anywhere but with his bestie Josh Mac, thus giving the Rams an unusually high amount of leverage. The last time Lloyd was traded he fetched a third. Their stock dropped vastly because of their circumstances. 5th and 6ths aren't usually going to merit that much return.

A 5th in a supplementary draft isn't too bad for a guy to wait in the wings and try again next year.
Moore missed 6 games in two years. Had 90 tackles last year. He will contribute to this team. Again it's not the end of the world, but you expect a 5th round pick to make the team.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Did Battle do anything while with the Rams?
Not particularly, but Fisher has been known for years as a prima donna whisperer. See: Pacman Jones, lots of his guys have left his fold and immediately became league laughingstocks.

Gruden has not had so much luck, his own team is literally focusing all it's hate on RG3 and he just can't seem to stop that guy from doing even more stupid things. I can imagine what things Battle could get up to with a coach he could see as somebody he could walk over.

FRO

Legend
Lotta overreaction to this. I mean, it's not like there haven't been duds in the supplemental. Not everyone is Josh freaking Gordon. You've got Terrelle Pryor, Harvey Unga, Josh Brent, Jeremy Jarmon, Paul Oliver, etc. Maybe they're trying to sneak him through waivers, or maybe he told Fisher to go freak himself. I'm kinda waiting to hear the story before I make up my own though.
I'm on the negative side of the debate, but I've mentioned numerous times that this isn't the end of the world. That being said with the poor returns in the supplemental draft and the fact Battle was so raw, I think it's totally legitimate to question using a 5th on this kid.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Per roto:

Rams waived OT Isaiah Battle.

The Rams saw fit to use a fifth-round pick on Battle on July's Supplemental Draft, but have cut the cord after only 58 days on the roster. It's a completely inexcusable waste of resources from a team that lacks depth at almost every position. Coach Jeff Fisher/GM Les Snead have routinely proven to have no idea how to best manage an NFL roster in the 21st century. The Rams will undoubtedly try to stash Battle on the practice squad, but he might not make it through waivers.
This guy obviously Doesn't have a clue about what the Rams roaster looks Like now,or looked like before Snisher!!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Moore missed 6 games in two years. Had 90 tackles last year. He will contribute to this team. Again it's not the end of the world, but you expect a 5th round pick to make the team.
Not particularly, 5th rounders get booted from teams all the time. They're no more expected to make it than 6th rounders, usually all the guaranteed talent is off the board by 4 at the latest.

Not sure where this metric is coming from, almost everyone seems to think of 5-7 to be the dead zone and most coaches have absolutely no problem cutting ties with 5th rounders. Besides you can't hit on everything, I can't see how this is any worse than not hitting on a 5th rounder normally.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lotta overreaction to this. I mean, it's not like there haven't been duds in the supplemental. Not everyone is Josh freaking Gordon. You've got Terrelle Pryor, Harvey Unga, Josh Brent, Jeremy Jarmon, Paul Oliver, etc. Maybe they're trying to sneak him through waivers, or maybe he told Fisher to go freak himself. I'm kinda waiting to hear the story before I make up my own though.
The same people mad we took Battle in the supplemental would be mad if somebody else had taken him and he made a 53 man elsewhere. This is exactly the type of pick the Rams should be making with late rounders, high upside gambles.

FRO

Legend
Not particularly, 5th rounders get booted from teams all the time. They're no more expected to make it than 6th rounders, usually all the guaranteed talent is off the board by 4 at the latest.

Not sure where this metric is coming from, almost everyone seems to think of 5-7 to be the dead zone and most coaches have absolutely no problem cutting ties with 5th rounders. Besides you can't hit on everything, I can't see how this is any worse than not hitting on a 5th rounder normally.
Be curious to see how many 5th round rookies got cut this weekend. Look the guy may stay on the practice squad, come in next year and make the squad. I just think it's risky and we aren't good enough to get zero return on a 5th round pick.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
You have got to be effing kidding me. Why did they draft a guy for a "redshirt" year if they didn't plan to keep him?
The NFL and opinions change every day!
The Rams had a lot of talent to look at this preseason. and I don't envy the task they had in making these Cuts!!
Personally I would have found a way to keep Battle & TRINCA-PASAT on the roaster! But I'm just one Fan!

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Be curious to see how many 5th round rookies got cut this weekend. Look the guy may stay on the practice squad, come in next year and make the squad. I just think it's risky and we aren't good enough to get zero return on a 5th round pick.

Didn't Seattle cut a 4th rounder?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm on the negative side of the debate, but I've mentioned numerous times that this isn't the end of the world. That being said with the poor returns in the supplemental draft and the fact Battle was so raw, I think it's totally legitimate to question using a 5th on this kid.
Had to use something to get a look though. Kinda hyped up going into the supplemental, so do you think they could have gotten him with a 6th instead?