Is Mannion the best QB on the roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
@Dxmissile and I maybe the only posters here who think that Mannion is better than Goff.
Regardless of that, the majority of NFL fans are casual fans that only watch the games. These casual fans will turn on Goff in a heartbeat if he starts playing anything like he did last year. I would imagine you will start to hear Mannion chants from the stands. If Goff has two really bad games to start the season, I hate to say it, but there is a QB controversy. Just my opinion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@Dxmissile and I maybe the only posters here who think that Mannion is better than Goff.
Regardless of that, the majority of NFL fans are casual fans that only watch the games. These casual fans will turn on Goff in a heartbeat if he starts playing anything like he did last year. I would imagine you will start to hear Mannion chants from the stands. If Goff has two really bad games to start the season, I hate to say it, but there is a QB controversy. Just my opinion.
That's very true. I'm inclined to give Goff a chance though I want to see him do good I'm not expecting a lot of wins I just want to see legitimate improvement from him. I won't be calling for Mannion in the regular season no matter what I'm go let the coaches make that decision if it comes to that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is or is that not clear. It's the fact that when he does something positive it's not positive to you and others but in correlation with Goff it's different
So you cant talk about Mannion without tearing down Goff.
Got it

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you cant talk about Mannion without tearing down Goff.
Got it
Name one thing I said that's tearing down Goff bro you can't. I don't say Goff sucks I don't say Goff isn't a NFL QB I don't tear down Goff if you too sensitive to hear criticism about somebody that's not you, that's on you. Talking about I'm making stuff up. Show me where I'm tearing down Goff. When he was stinking up the place last year I didn't say anything

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name one thing I said that's tearing down Goff bro you can't. I don't say Goff sucks I don't say Goff isn't a NFL QB I don't tear down Goff if you too sensitive to hear criticism about somebody that's not you, that's on you. Talking about I'm making stuff up. Show me where I'm tearing down Goff. When he was stinking up the place last year I didn't say anything
I thought the subject was Mannion?
"What have Goff done?? Absolutely nothing"

JRobinson

MiLB
Bro you just wasted your time and thoughts on responding so why respond.?

As for as 2 different coaching staffs 1 didn't want to play Goff and I would bet that some didn't even want to draft a Qb so now they have to save face and see if that pick works out no one wants to be the franchise that traded up for a qb and that qb don't work out. I'm all for Goff getting his fair share because last year he didn't get it, but make no mistake that if Goff goes out there and perform like he did last year he is out

Ans:
1. Responded because its unfortunately a top thread right now.

2. Who cares is who drafted who when? There are no allegiances here. The fact of the matter is that Manion is not starting. Has he started over a healthy Goff? Ever? No. Until changes are actually made, or a statement is made in a press conference, this conversation is moot. Hence, the previous post.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is that tearing down Goff no ohh ok
Yeah, saying he's done absolutely nothing is a real term of endearment...
At least its not making up stuff that other people said...
Back to Mannion, he's definitely better than Orlvosky so there's that

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, saying he's done absolutely nothing is a real term of endearment...
At least its not making up stuff that other people said...
Back to Mannion, he's definitely better than Orlvosky so there's that
That's true

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's true
To the extent that maybe Sean only needs to play a series or two on Thursday, its not like his job is in question.
I know it isnt fair to the WR who are trying to make the team, but I think that ship has sailed

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To the extent that maybe Sean only needs to play a series or two on Thursday, its not like his job is in question.
I know it isnt fair to the WR who are trying to make the team, but I think that ship has sailed
That was my thinking too I don't think you risk Goff even though I want him to play but I don't think you need to risk Mannion either. I think McVay and Co already know which receivers are locked in, this will be a game for Coons to redeem himself so we can shop him to the bucs for a draft pick lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Anyone else ever notice that threads seem to go south after about the 4th or 5th page? :fighting:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
No, or he would be starting. This coaching staff didn't draft Goff , and I think mcvay knows alot more then we do. Week 1 is Goffs 8th nfl start, look at Derek carrs first 10 games and you will see struggled but once they gave him weapons he got alot better. I'm not judging Jared until this season is over

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The answer is still no, ultimately.

If Goff gets injured and Mannion goes in, I want him to play as best that he can. Mannion looks decent against back ups and against future Walmart employees....I worry that he will be a large, not very mobile target, with a slow release QB versus star DE's in the NFL. We have to see how good Goff is over the course of this season, because he has qualities of a franchise QB and a MUCH higher ceiling than Mr Mannion. (IMHO).

bluecoconuts

Legend
I would bet that some didn't even want to draft a Qb so now they have to save face and see if that pick works out no one wants to be the franchise that traded up for a qb and that qb don't work out

You're probably right that some members of the staff last year didn't want to draft a QB... There were rumors that the Rams were split on who to take, Snead wanted one QB Fisher wanted the other.. Well apparently Snead won that argument, hence why he's still here and Fisher isn't. That would actually explain why Fisher refused to play Goff or set him up to succeed, he did the exact same thing in Tennessee when they drafted Vince Young against Fisher's wishes.

But that was last year and we don't have that staff anymore other than Snead, Fassel, and some lower guys that don't have much influence, so I don't think they're that worried about the Goff pick. McVay could have opened it up to a competition, in fact early on he signaled he was open to it (you jumped all over that I believe).... And then he spent more time with them and Goff was named the starter early on, and that's been the end of that. It's pretty likely that McVay evaluated both of them while he was getting settled in and going up and down the roster (as was his job) and he knew who he wanted. If he wasn't sold on Goff that was the time to make a change, this year is the year for him to try someone else. If he's not trying someone else then that should say who he liked more. The fact that a few weeks ago we heard that the Rams weren't happy with any of their QB depth behind Goff, if that's true, says what McVay thinks. It could be simply that Mannion isn't a scheme fit, he's someone that was billed as being perfect for a run heavy offense, a good game manager that can get into a rhythm and do some good things, perfect for that Fisher offense (and I think he was a Fisher pick)... McVay is running a different offense that needs a different type of QB. Look at the three QB's on the roster... You have Goff, a pocket passer who can excel in a pass heavy offense... Orlsovsky a (bad) pocket passer that is comfortable in a pass heavy offense (Connecticut ran a spread offense when he was there), and Mannion a game manager that can excel in a run heavy offense. He's got skills, which is why he's our backup, but McVay might not see him as a scheme fit, but without any other alternatives, he'd rather him than someone else backing up Goff.

Goff isn't starting due to politics or the team not wanting to embarrass themselves (we fired Fisher in the middle of the season last year, we're past that point), he's starting because he's the best QB on the roster.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I think our WR corps is all set, the only question will be if Thomas can be healthy and shine enough in practice to earn a spot over Cooper in week 4 when he returns.. We're probably set on TE as well, or at least our top 2... With Hemmingway out for a while, Harkey is safe... I don't think we keep 4 and there's a pretty decent gap between Harkey and the rest. Running back probably isn't set though, but that doesn't rely as much on the QB.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You're probably right that some members of the staff last year didn't want to draft a QB... There were rumors that the Rams were split on who to take, Snead wanted one QB Fisher wanted the other.. Well apparently Snead won that argument, hence why he's still here and Fisher isn't. That would actually explain why Fisher refused to play Goff or set him up to succeed, he did the exact same thing in Tennessee when they drafted Vince Young against Fisher's wishes.

But that was last year and we don't have that staff anymore other than Snead, Fassel, and some lower guys that don't have much influence, so I don't think they're that worried about the Goff pick. McVay could have opened it up to a competition, in fact early on he signaled he was open to it (you jumped all over that I believe).... And then he spent more time with them and Goff was named the starter early on, and that's been the end of that. It's pretty likely that McVay evaluated both of them while he was getting settled in and going up and down the roster (as was his job) and he knew who he wanted. If he wasn't sold on Goff that was the time to make a change, this year is the year for him to try someone else. If he's not trying someone else then that should say who he liked more. The fact that a few weeks ago we heard that the Rams weren't happy with any of their QB depth behind Goff, if that's true, says what McVay thinks. It could be simply that Mannion isn't a scheme fit, he's someone that was billed as being perfect for a run heavy offense, a good game manager that can get into a rhythm and do some good things, perfect for that Fisher offense (and I think he was a Fisher pick)... McVay is running a different offense that needs a different type of QB. Look at the three QB's on the roster... You have Goff, a pocket passer who can excel in a pass heavy offense... Orlsovsky a (bad) pocket passer that is comfortable in a pass heavy offense (Connecticut ran a spread offense when he was there), and Mannion a game manager that can excel in a run heavy offense. He's got skills, which is why he's our backup, but McVay might not see him as a scheme fit, but without any other alternatives, he'd rather him than someone else backing up Goff.

Goff isn't starting due to politics or the team not wanting to embarrass themselves (we fired Fisher in the middle of the season last year, we're past that point), he's starting because he's the best QB on the roster.

McVay runs essentially the same offense that Mannion ran in college. I think McVay wanted to name Goff the starter early to give him more confidence and allow him to take a leadership role which I actually applaude, as far as the rumor that the Rams didn't like the depth at qb I found that to be hilarious because if they didn't like their depth they would have tried harder to get a guy other than Dan O, I even hit up allbright on twitter, I wonder what he think of his source now. I think he's starting because McVay promised Snead and Co that he was going to do everything he can for Goff to be successful right now until we see Goff in action in the regular season that promise still stands but now it's on Goff to produce