Is Mannion the best QB on the roster right now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
After Saturday's second half performance is it time for Mannion to get the nod to start while Goff comes up to speed?

"Mannion undoubtedly made some good plays on Saturday, helping engineer the Rams’ fourth-quarter comeback victory over Dallas. The quarterback played the entire second half, completing 18 of his 25 passes for 147 yards, three touchdowns, and an interception."

I know it wasn't against the 1s but after a game like this I think it is time for him to get a pre-season start to see if he is ready for that level.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
No. Based on last week? Yeah, sure. But overall? No.
I don't understand what you are saying either he is or he isn't.

I don't see Case putting up better numbers and Goff is not ready to make that jump yet.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a decent game but he nearly threw two pic sixes also . He's not the answer

fearsomefour

Legend
No way of knowing.
Playing vs 4th and 5th stringers is not a true test. He has measurables for sure.
Playing on Sunday vs a startin defense that has had time to get a book on him and prepare to face him....totally different thing.
Keenum is the best player at the position now probably by a decent margin. He had shown the ability to be solid on Sunday, to read a D to get the ball out on time ect.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I feel like comparing QBs in a single game in different situations with different set of players on the field is pretty much comparing apples to oranges.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
First preseason game against 3rd and 4th stringers? I think I'd taper down the expectations. It was good in that he gave us hope the backup position could be solidified. But I'm not ready to move him past Keenum or Goff. I think it was clear Goff has the upside and Keenum has the experience.

On another note, Higbee needs more looks to see if he's the real deal. Spruce needs to be put in sooner for the same reason. We could have a couple steals there.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Loved seeing Mannion have success, but come on. I can't remember any impressive throws, all he did was dump the ball to Spruce, Green, etc. and they were able to run through the Dallas scrubs. Didn't even Chase Reynolds have a TD? Shows how silly preseason "winning" is... If people think an offense of Mannion dumping the ball to Chase Reynolds is Super Bowl bound, well, not sure what to say to that. Mannion was basically the same as Keenum -- which is no surprise, it's what a lot of people have been saying in the frustration that Mannion didn't get any live reps last year in the garbage games. But that says more about the limits of Keenum than Mannion. Until we see Mannion attack the downfield tight windows that define passing success in real NFL games, Goff is the only hope for a legit QB on the roster -- not his fault his WRs can't catch yet.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I don't understand what you are saying either he is or he isn't.

I don't see Case putting up better numbers and Goff is not ready to make that jump yet.

If you want to judge based off his stats in last week's game, then he is the best QB, but I wouldn't start him over Case or Goff just because he had a nice performance against the Dallas backups.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Mannion can get some time versus 1s and prove that he is on par with Keenum that would allow the Rams to consider trading Keenum. We all know Goff is going to get the nod eventually do we really need 3 QBs when two of them are back up caliber guys keeping a spot warm for Goff?

RamsCardsJazz

Starter
Last year, he is the one I wanted them to draft. I was honestly hoping he was going to be able to compete for the starting job this year, but then the trade happened (which I absolutely did not like). Unfortunately now, we will really ever know what we have in Mannion. His performance against the Cowboys numbers 3's does not mean a whole lot, but it was encouraging. I wish he would get to play with the 1's, but I am guessing that is not going to happen.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is a good problem to have, Keenum showcased he's classic game manager, Goff showcases the upside and why he was drafted where he was and Mannion showcased that he has grown by leaps and bounds from last season....Should be able to get a better barometer against the Chiefs this Saturday as they are a superior defense to the defenseless Cowboys.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Loved seeing Mannion have success, but come on. I can't remember any impressive throws, all he did was dump the ball to Spruce, Green, etc. and they were able to run through the Dallas scrubs. Didn't even Chase Reynolds have a TD? Shows how silly preseason "winning" is... If people think an offense of Mannion dumping the ball to Chase Reynolds is Super Bowl bound, well, not sure what to say to that. Mannion was basically the same as Keenum -- which is no surprise, it's what a lot of people have been saying in the frustration that Mannion didn't get any live reps last year in the garbage games. But that says more about the limits of Keenum than Mannion. Until we see Mannion attack the downfield tight windows that define passing success in real NFL games, Goff is the only hope for a legit QB on the roster -- not his fault his WRs can't catch yet.

Idk Gruden sure saw some impressive throws like that 4th down throw to spruce or before that the big 3rd down conversion throw he threw over the middle to spruce when he got hit. Im not sayjng he is ready to be the starter but i always said that him and Goff have similar arm talent and i think Mannions is better. If we didnt trade the farm for Goff i would be asking for a 3 way competition but since we did i want Goff to succeed. I just have a sneaky suspicion that we already had our Qb.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Mannion can get some time versus 1s and prove that he is on par with Keenum that would allow the Rams to consider trading Keenum. We all know Goff is going to get the nod eventually do we really need 3 QBs when two of them are back up caliber guys keeping a spot warm for Goff?

We do need 3 we already know what happened the last time we only kept 2 qbs

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Thats exactly how i feel. You have Mannion locked up for the near future at very reasonable price, you already know what you have in Keenum and while i understand starting him it wouod be wise to give Mannion more reps since he will eventually be your number 2.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We havent seen Goff do that yet either though.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think this is a good question and I would say yes, we need all 3 right now given so much uncertainty. Plan A is Goff to be able to not just manage games but have the talent to actually win games as a QB if the need arises. Plan B is the game manager, known quantity mediocrity from Keenum. Hopefully the Rams are still shooting for Plan A in game 1. Might as well give Mannion a chance to prove he could be a Plan A type, plus nice to see he is showing he can be Plan B. But right now I don't see any return in a trade that would be worth getting rid of either of them, do we really need a 7th round pick or something?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
It looks like we have a decent problem this year in the QB room.

I refuse to put a ceiling on Mannion. They say what separated Peyton Manning from the average QB was the preparation. The freekish work he put it.

Mannion may be the best option for starting this year, with Case backing him up. Goff developing as 3rd stringer, climbing to two at some point.

I haven't quite forgiven Keenum's part in the loss an San Fran to end the year last year. Right or, mostly wrong placing the blame on him, there's a bad taste of "mediocre".

An improved Mannion is a good problem to have.