Interesting Fanpost from Hogs Haven

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
Respectfully disagree about about average, especially considering the surrounding circumstances. Trading up for "potential" is potentially a disaster waiting to happen, IMO.
And sticking with a player whose greatest ability is unavailability is an even greater disaster because there's a track record. Fool them once, shame on you. Fool them three times, shame on the Rams.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Teams get desperate. Buffalo is going to be one. They traded away their first pick for next year and the QB they just drafted last year they've already demoted. They are going nowhere unless they get a different QB. For them it makes sense to go high risk because they don't have many other options to fix their QB position. They could be a really good team if they just had a QB. Offensive weapons, two good RBs, a good OL, and a solid defense.
Buffalo is going to be one purely because they forced the pick of a QB when the talent didn't warrant the pick. Not a path I want to see our Rams take.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Can't rely on him lasting a season though, that's the problem. Give Sam a new team with a new OC and I'm sure he could be very decent.
That's true, but there's always teams like that. Hell the Skins are doing it right now, they're relying on RGMe to be healthy and not be a locker room cancer at the same time. I think they'd take a shot on him and his ability rather than stay with their own oft injured cancer.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
My point exactly. The devil you know or the devil you don't? Sam has proven he is capable of playing at the NFL level, no one in the draft has. Anyone drafted has the potential of injury.

What good is someone who's injured with a huge cap salary?

Honestly I'm not having a go at you here, but I simply can't understand how you wouldn't pull the trigger on first round trade for a QB who's proven he can't stay healthy?

Each to their own I guess :)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Buffalo is going to be one purely because they forced the pick of a QB when the talent didn't warrant the pick. Not a path I want to see our Rams take.
I doubt if we do pick a QB we would, Snead and Fisher are infinitely superior to Whaley and Marrone. For one, Snead isn't forwarding dirty links to the entire NFL..

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't want the Rams to force a QB that isn't worth the pick, either. I'm not putting my eggs in Bradford's basket on his current contract, though, and I REALLY don't see why he'd ever agree to restructure.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
That's true, but there's always teams like that. Hell the Skins are doing it right now, they're relying on RGMe to be healthy and not be a locker room cancer at the same time. I think they'd take a shot on him and his ability rather than stay with their own oft injured cancer.

I think he's in trouble there. If gruden is still coach, and RG3 doesn't perform these next 6 games, I think he's traded

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Got it. So if a team trades for him, they take on his 13 mill salary and take the cap hit on the entire amount unless THEY restructure it?
Bradford only has 1 year remaining on his contract, so by 'restructure', i'm assuming you mean 'extend' ? By extending his contract the Rams could reduce Bradford's 2015 CAP hit, but there remains the injury risk going forward.
If we trade Bradford, his new team will take over his salary and the Rams would only assume his 'dead money' CAP hit of $3.5mil. If we were to cut Bradford, we could re-sign him for a smaller salary, but we still take the 'dead money' hit to the CAP. Also, if cut, he can negotiate with any team in the NFL, so that gets risky if we hope to re-sign him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe so. The Rams would have to do what they call a "sign and trade"
Wait, what?
He's already under contract for 2015, they wouldnt have to sign him. That's what would make him trade eligible.
Im thinking it would be a "trade and sign"

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I think he's in trouble there. If gruden is still coach, and RG3 doesn't perform these next 6 games, I think he's traded
I feel the same way, it's very obvious RG3 has worn out his welcome in Washington, and the feeling is mutual. Nobody likes him there and he doesn't like anybody there. Question just becomes who do they trade him for and what do they get for him. I doubt they trade QB for QB, since no team with a QB is gonna trade for him. That means they'll have to give to a desperate team, which means they'll be out of a QB with Cousins being exposed and all, but will they even have enough? I doubt they'll take RG3 up front, so they'll have to throw in incentive, will they have the picks or players necessary to get a QB out of anybody or even be able to draft one in this weak class?

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Bradford has never wronged me. I do not wish any evil on him, such as a trade to DC.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bradford only has 1 year remaining on his contract, so by 'restructure', i'm assuming you mean 'extend' ? By extending his contract the Rams could reduce Bradford's 2015 CAP hit, but there remains the injury risk going forward.
If we trade Bradford, his new team will take over his salary and the Rams would only assume his 'dead money' CAP hit of $3.5mil. If we were to cut Bradford, we could re-sign him for a smaller salary, but we still take the 'dead money' hit to the CAP. Also, if cut, he can negotiate with any team in the NFL, so that gets risky if we hope to re-sign him.
The dead money is there no matter what. I got it. What I was saying is that if the Rams trade him, the team that gets him is now on the hook for a 13mill salary AND 13 mill cap hit. So they would have to extend/restructure whatever to alleviate taking that hit themself?
Seems like a lot of risk for a team to take, trading for Sam and that big number. No guarantee Sam extends.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
My point exactly. The devil you know or the devil you don't? Sam has proven he is capable of playing at the NFL level, no one in the draft has. Anyone drafted has the potential of injury.

Bradford can play at an NFL level, granted, but can he do it for a whole season?
I know injuries can happen to anybody, but they have happened to Bradford. Multiple times.

Personally I'd like for the Rams to get a QB I don't have to compare to the devil at all.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Wait, what?
He's already under contract for 2015, they wouldnt have to sign him. That's what would make him trade eligible.
Im thinking it would be a "trade and sign"

So we can't restructure and trade if a team is interested? If that is the case, nobody will trade for him. BUT there are idiot GMs out there...

Not that I'm not a fan of Bradford, but I would take my chances on another QB and an older veteran backup if I was another team.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Give us Cousins and your 1st round pick, deal.

I can understand why you would like their pick, but Cousins is of zero use to me...A decent back-up can be had for less than him, I'm sure...Contrary to what a lot of people were going ape-shit about, Cousins is nothing more than a decent back-up ib my eyes...

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
What good is someone who's injured with a huge cap salary?

Honestly I'm not having a go at you here, but I simply can't understand how you wouldn't pull the trigger on first round trade for a QB who's proven he can't stay healthy?

Each to their own I guess :)
I simply think that Bradford, in spite of injury, has more talent than anyone available by way of draft or trade. His salary has already been accounted for so even if we can't work out an incentive based extension, IMO he is still the best option.

BigRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Bradford can play at an NFL level, granted, but can he do it for a whole season?
I know injuries can happen to anybody, but they have happened to Bradford. Multiple times.

Personally I'd like for the Rams to get a QB I don't have to compare to the devil at all.
He's done it twice under historically bad circumstances.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Depends on the level of desperation they get to, at this point I don't think they're in full on panic mode, so offers would probably be 4th maybe, 3rd. They'd have to give something of merit since he's still an asset to the Rams, so Fisher won't let them walk away with Bradford giving up only two 7s, but they won't oversell for Bradford with his history unless they're simply too desperate to say no. If things continue to fall apart in Washington though I could see them giving up a 2nd to get him in full on panic and regroup mode. Especially for a QB, panic mode is pretty much a godsend for people trying to ship QBs. Especially with a weak free agent QB market and draft.

I could see them starting at a 5th, with a 3rd being the absolute ceiling.

I just don't see a team trying to trade for Bradford when they could potentially get him without giving up any picks at this point. It would be nice if somebody tried though, more picks are always a good thing.