I have a different take on our defense.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd love to replace Joyner with either Earl Thomas or Tyrann Mathieu.

Earl Thomas would be my first choice because of how good he would be for Peters, but yeah, I'd be good for Mathieu also because the Honey Badger is all over the place.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I know that it’s natural for fans to want to resist allowing their favorite players to get away.

But here’s the thing. In this salary cap world and with the talent on this roster, something’s gotta give. Sacred cow players that underperform are a vanishing breed.

About Brockers. I’ve been a fan since he was drafted. But, unless he has an injury that we don’t know about, his play has slipped considerably this year. And that’s despite playing with AD and Suh, mind you. If healthy, he should be feasting. He’s a possible, not likely, but possible trade candidate, IMO.

About Suh. I’m beyond disappointed with his effort and “want to”. Looks like a man just wanting to cash those Kroenke paychecks. A goner, IMO. Sickening to think what might have been.

About Barron. His best days are behind him and his salary is a killer. Color him gone, one way or another.

About Joyner. No need to explain, is there? Another goner.

About Fowler. Iffy, I think. Entirely depends on his impact in the remaining games plus playoffs. I make him 60-40 to be extended.

About Ebu. As a starter he’s still too early to call. He had a fabulous game vs Chiefs, but it WAS just the one game. I suspect that it was a confidence thing previously that held him back. Too much thinking rather than just playing? Remaining games will tell the story. I’m cautiously optimistic.

About Peters. An enigma to me. Thought he was gonna have a slam dunk All Pro year under Wade alongside Talib and behind that DL. Now, I have to say he’s in a contract year in ‘19, unless he catches fire in our remaining games.

The above are 7 player question marks, some more questionable than others. Seems like a high number for a 10-1 team, doesn’t it?

Point is, don’t be surprised if Snead/McVay/Phillips decide to make wholesale D changes next offseason. In fact, I expect it.

Rams are now a very popular destination for FA’s and we will have some decent picks come draft time.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
We dont know what he is dealing with, if anything. We are not in the loop on what goes on with these guys other than what we see on our TVs. We might think we deserve to know their real injury issues or the things going on in their private lives, but we don't and the teams and players dont owe us that.
There is not any Tavon-esque attitude towards Brockers here obviously, but I have seen several posts already targeting Brockers as a guy we should/will move away from rather than extend.
Do we need a true NT in Wades D? Maybe, but I seem to remember MB losing weight to play at DE because we needed more there, not because he wasn't a capable NT.
This being Brockers last season as a Ram was being floated last season and now with a thus far seemingly subpar season and some extra attention and frustration towards the Defense, the most disgruntled fans start looking for "over-paid under-performers" to replace, as if its that easy.

Not that any of what we discuss plays into what the team actually does or will do but... I still get uncomfortable.
To me you keep guys like Michael Brockers as long as he can play at a price the team can afford.

I do not think he is dealing with anything - other than scheme fit - Brockers has and could be a beast against the run, but remains an enigma rushing the passer. In this scheme, for me, he needs to play NT, but is best suited to the 4:3

I should make myself clear, I like MB a lot and hope he has a better finish to the season, closing down my view in the process. If not, I expect him to be traded to a 4:3 team in need of a dominant 'inside' presence and 'team captain' capable of affecting the locker room culture - i.e. one of the weaker and more desperate teams in the league

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-stats-to-know-for-all-32-nfl-teams-entering-week-13

Over the last two seasons combined, Aqib Talib has allowed 0.56 yards per coverage snap, which is the lowest rate for all cornerbacks.

Have we had a coverage sack this season? Talib should, I hope, make the whole defense tick again

It has been tough recently, but we looked like a top ten defense before our two leading CBs went down with injuries

The turf at the coliseum has proved more difficult to overcome that many of our opponents!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not think he is dealing with anything - other than scheme fit - Brockers has and could be a beast against the run, but remains an enigma rushing the passer. In this scheme, for me, he needs to play NT, but is best suited to the 4:3

I should make myself clear, I like MB a lot and hope he has a better finish to the season, closing down my view in the process. If not, I expect him to be traded to a 4:3 team in need of a dominant 'inside' presence and 'team captain' capable of affecting the locker room culture - i.e. one of the weaker and more desperate teams in the league

I agree with you when you said that MB needs to play the NT position in the Wade's scheme. MB best value to this team now is at the Nose. Suh & Franklin-Myers could really have a serious impact play the 5 tech post side with ER/OLB'er Dante Fowler playing to their left.

I also see your point that MB best playing position may have been inside in a 43 D. Thus his trade value might get the Rams some mid round draft pick, but that near $11 milion 2019 cap hit will give most all NFL teams major pause to pay up any selection of the first 2 days of the 2019 draft. So I see little value in trading MB unless it's to get the Ram 2019 cap some relief.

The biggest issue if you let UFA NT Suh walk, then trade the Rams previous 3 season starter @ NT in the 43 Williams defense & let the starting NT in 2017 & main back up NT in 2018 UFA Ethan Westbrooks walk too ......this defense will have a HOLE in the middle of its DL that can be see from the space station. Rams have basically nothing there @ NT left.

Their will be a few real good NT's entering free agency in March .i.e. Grady Jarrett who will cost you near $15 mil a season, the well traveled Sheldon Richardson who will be close to $9 to 10 mil a season, The next tier NT types will be Darious Philon, Rodney Gunter, Damion Square or Tyler Davison...this cadre will all get some big contract this off season.

Rams have some serious cap funds tied up in the defense in 2019. A half dozen starters make up alone a total $64 million cap hit for:
#1-DT-Donald/$17.1 mil:bow:
#2-DT-Brockers/$10.75 mil:notsure:
#3-LB-Barron/$9.6 Mil:poop:
#4-CB-Peters/$9.0 mil:help:
#5-CB-Talib/ $8.0 mil :cautious:
#6-CB- NRC/$6.0 mil:thinking:

Only one of the 6 is playing excellent @ the moment. My plan would start now this week with the rotation of Suh/ Brockers & rookie Joesph-Day all getting snaps in the game with the Lion with the regular defense @ NT. Plus giving Rookie DE John Franklin-Myers a good solid amount of snaps @ 5 tech post.

Doing this to see if older vet Suh can create more destruction & havoc from the edge along with younthful Franklin-Myers. Wade's has enough DL'ers who can play NT to keep them fresh in the rotation taking on the HD double blocks (Brockers/ Westbrooks/ Jospeh-Day/ mix in a light amount of Suh too) . Lest see what we got in this DL to go into the playoffs with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Brockers is out of position yes. Last year they tried him at nose and it didn't work. So they moved him to DE and he looked like his old self.

This year Suh took his DE spot and Brockers is once again out of position. He isn't a Nose Tackle. I'd rather see Suh at Nose right now.

Next year say bye to Suh and move Brockers back to DE. Then draft or sign a Nose Tackle.

The Broncos traded for Snacks Harrison this fall and their run defense suddenly improved. The Rams need a true Nose Tackle to tie up Olinemen and prevent holes from opening.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brockers is out of position yes. Last year they tried him at nose and it didn't work. So they moved him to DE and he looked like his old self.

This year Suh took his DE spot and Brockers is once again out of position. He isn't a Nose Tackle. I'd rather see Suh at Nose right now.

Next year say bye to Suh and move Brockers back to DE. Then draft or sign a Nose Tackle.

The Broncos traded for Snacks Harrison this fall and their run defense suddenly improved. The Rams need a true Nose Tackle to tie up Olinemen and prevent holes from opening.

2017 Wade started rookie Tanzel Samrt @ NT. When Smart failed he then went to NT Tyrunn Walker & later settled on 6-4 267 lbs DE Westbrooks to end the season starting NT.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-camp-michael-brockers-defense-wade-phillips/

I recall that the Brockers move was planned very early in 2017. But if you have information saying differently that Brockers did not work out playing the nose I am very interested in reading it. I believe that Brockers had a great best season ever in 2017 playing the 5 tech DE post for Wade. Brockers played the 5 tech post in 2017 @ 326 pounds. This 2018 season he came into TC @ 302 pounds. I have no ideal why Brockers has had an off season thus far with Suh playing next to him. Strange. Maybe it was the below paragraph report?

Brockers has had many ER/OLB'er playing to his left since 2018 OTA's/TC & Pre season. First was Morgan Foz to go down @ the end of OTA's with a ACL injury. Juan Price, Marcus Martin, Brian Womac, Garrett Sickels, Ryan Davis, Justin Lawler, Treven Young all lined up & played to the left of Brockers. When the season open up Dom Easley started next to Brockers the first 3 until he injured his knee. Then the still unhealthy Matt Longacre took over & his back was not the same Longacre was done after 7 starts. Og Okoronwko was still not healthy so the big trade was made for Dante Fowler to pair with Brockers on that left wing of the DL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
2017 Wade started rookie Tanzel Samrt @ NT. When Smart failed he then went to NT Tyrunn Walker & later settled on 6-4 267 lbs DE Westbrooks to end the season starting NT.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/20...-camp-michael-brockers-defense-wade-phillips/

I recall that the Brockers move was planned very early in 2017. But if you have information saying differently that Brockers did not work out playing the nose I am very interested in reading it. I believe that Brockers had a great best season ever in 2017 playing the 5 tech DE post for Wade. Brockers played the 5 tech post in 2017 @ 326 pounds. This 2018 season he came into TC @ 302 pounds. I have no ideal why Brockers has had an off season thus far with Suh playing next to him. Strange. Maybe it was the below paragraph report?

Brockers has had many ER/OLB'er playing to his left since 2018 OTA's/TC & Pre season. First was Morgan Foz to go down @ the end of OTA's with a ACL injury. Juan Price, Marcus Martin, Brian Womac, Garrett Sickels, Ryan Davis, Justin Lawler, Treven Young all lined up & played to the left of Brockers. When the season open up Dom Easley started next to Brockers the first 3 until he injured his knee. Then the still unhealthy Matt Longacre took over & his back was not the same Longacre was done after 7 starts. Og Okoronwko was still not healthy so the big trade was made for Dante Fowler to pair with Brockers on that left wing of the DL.

You don’t remember Brockers starting out at Nose last year then moving over?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

yeah, he bulked up to almost 330.

This year, he's down to 305.

I know Wade like penetrating DL, but he did have Sylvester Williams. He's listed as being 6'3" and 313, but he played heavier than that. AD, Blockers and Suh are all 3Ts that can play 5T and both Suh and AD can play wider although it's weird...AD prefers to be closer to the QB, even if it means the double team.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I don't think Brockers moved because he want good as a NT. I thought it was because the DE next to him was planning terrible against the run so they moved Brockers. That helped the run defense go from abominable to only really bad. That's just my faulty memory though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think Brockers moved because he want good as a NT. I thought it was because the DE next to him was planning terrible against the run so they moved Brockers. That helped the run defense go from abominable to only really bad. That's just my faulty memory though.

I thought it was both.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Rams D might not be that bad when allowed to catch their breath between Rams two minute scoring drives