I have a different take on our defense.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jacktheripper85

Starter
I’ll probably take some heat for this but here goes. Granted our defense hasn’t played up to our expectations based on the acquisitions we made in the off season but I look at defensive play a little differently. There are “stats” and then there is “how does your defense play during big moments in a game”.

Everyone always touts Rex Ryan’s and Greg Williams defenses, however do you ever notice over the years that when their defenses need to make a key stop during the game the other team just marches down the field and scores?

One thing I will say about our defense this year is yes- they have given up a lot of yardage and some big plays, however, everytime we need a big stop or a turnover they have come up big time.

With all the scoring in the Saint game when we needed them to make key stops they did and gave the offense a chance to take the lead with a drive at the end of the game.

Same in the KC game. Everytime KC had a chance to go up by 2 scores the D came up with a huge turnover and then made 2 critical stops to end the game.

So although we would all like to see more “shutdown “ performances, this D shows up when it has too and they have done it against some of the top QBs in the league. I’ll take that any day. Just my 2 cents.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I’ll probably take some heat for this but here goes. Granted our defense hasn’t played up to our expectations based on the acquisitions we made in the off season but I look at defensive play a little differently. There are “stats” and then there is “how does your defense play during big moments in a game”.

Everyone always touts Rex Ryan’s and Greg Williams defenses, however do you ever notice over the years that when their defenses need to make a key stop during the game the other team just marches down the field and scores?

One thing I will say about our defense this year is yes- they have given up a lot of yardage and some big plays, however, everytime we need a big stop or a turnover they have come up big time.

With all the scoring in the Saint game when we needed them to make key stops they did and gave the offense a chance to take the lead with a drive at the end of the game.

Same in the KC game. Everytime KC had a chance to go up by 2 scores the D came up with a huge turnover and then made 2 critical stops to end the game.

So although we would all like to see more “shutdown “ performances, this D shows up when it has too and they have done it against some of the top QBs in the league. I’ll take that any day. Just my 2 cents.
The Rams defense has definitely come through in big situations. I still think this defense can start to gel once Talib comes back.

Things have just been weird this year. You have 4 key players underperforming from what they did last year. Joyner, Johnson, Barron, and Brockers to an extent. So at every level of the defense you have guys underperforming. That’s definitely not good.

Peters is definitely not performing at his best, but I also think that he doesn’t fit with what Phillips is trying to do. I think Talib’s return will allow Peters to perform at a higher level.

I think next year things will come together for Wade. An upgrade at Safety, LB, and CB will be really beneficial to what scheme he wants to run. There will be potentially a lot of money coming off the books at the end of this year on the defensive side. Suh, Joyner, and Barron alone will be over $30 million.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Things have just been weird this year. You have 4 key players underperforming from what they did last year. Joyner, Johnson, Barron, and Brockers to an extent. So at every level of the defense you have guys underperforming. That’s definitely not good.

I have to disagree with you on Johnson, I think he is having a good year. Wade is a great coach and never shows his hand until crunch time.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, the Rams have not stopped the run for the most part of the year and again, hopefully, when Talib comes back, they will get back to the defense all of us witnessed in the first three games, however, that is a major concern as the teams in the playoffs will try to run on the Rams. I have concerns that Suh IMO has not been playing up to expectations, Brockers has also been quiet and Mark Barron has made very few plays.

Again with the bye and adjustments all of us hope Talib coming back galvanizes the defense, but when do the Rams actually stuff the run? Most of the time, if they hold the opposition to 3-4 yards that's considered a win and that is why I'm concerned.

As to key stops @jacktheripper85 is correct, but against the Saints, when you score 35 points you should win and I understand the NFL is about offense, but until I see improved play from the likes of Suh, Brockers & Barron I will be holding my breath every time our defense is on the field.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I think Suh has been gassed and less effective lately. I think our bye comes at the perfect time.

With Fowler now in the mix, and Talib back, I believe our defense will hit their stride at just the right time.

This is a defense of playmakers:
  • Donald. The game wrecker. He makes big plays in big moments.
  • Ebukam. It was nice to see his awakening Monday night. Once guys see what they can do like that, it gives them that extra belief in themselves. They then set their own bar higher.
  • Littleton. Whether special teams or defense, he has a nose for the ball and the big play.
  • Fowler. Now that they may have to play him more honest with Ebukam, Fowler will be coming off the edge and making big plays and disruptions.
  • Peters. Despite his erratic play this year, Marcus Peters is capable of making big plays and has a few still in him for this year.
  • Johnson. I think he has played well. That stop on Hunt near the goal line was huge. He makes big time plays.
  • Talib. He will be the glue.

We have players on defense that are being dismissed by pundits. Come playoff time, watch out.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I have to disagree with you on Johnson, I think he is having a good year. Wade is a great coach and never shows his hand until crunch time.
After looking over stats, PFF rankings, and highlight reels I would have to agree with you.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Why does everyone think Peters play will improve when Talib comes back to hold his hand? I get that Talib will get the #1 WR and Peters the other side, but Peters is Peters and that ain't going to change. Given his history so far this season, QB's and DC's are going to target him with the same results.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Why does everyone think Peters play will improve when Talib comes back to hold his hand? I get that Talib will get the #1 WR and Peters the other side, but Peters is Peters and that ain't going to change. Given his history so far this season, QB's and DC's are going to target him with the same results.

Because peters won't be stuck on an island against a no.1 WR. He'll probably play more man zone which he is better at. I don't think talib will solve all of our problems but he'll at least make sure guys are lined up correctly

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Really, I think it is more about how Wade uses him. He can be a really good CB, but he needs to be covered by a safety to let him play his style. It is a huge mistake to trust him on an island when the game is on the line. Everyone can see it and I think Wade has been stubborn and that play in NO is on Wade. Peters got torched all game and yet he was still single covering Thomas at the end.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter

To play Devils advocate ; You did not provide enough context for your example. If you use the 2015 Rams defense as an example, they held teams to an average of 20.6 points per game. They may have given up a late TD in a game, but that means they had held the opponent to approx 14 points through 3.5 Qtrs. The Rams offense was pathetic and couldn't muster 20 points per game on average. In 2018, the Rams offense is averaging almost 35 points per game. So, what if the Rams offense was scoring only 24 points per game? What would the conversation be? Stopping a team from scoring a TD late in 4th Qtr after the opponent has already scored 35 is fine on its own. If your team is doing it every week, and then relying on your offense to score more than what you are giving up is not a recipe for a Championship.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well, the Rams have not stopped the run for the most part of the year and again, hopefully, when Talib comes back, they will get back to the defense all of us witnessed in the first three games, however, that is a major concern as the teams in the playoffs will try to run on the Rams. I have concerns that Suh IMO has not been playing up to expectations, Brockers has also been quiet and Mark Barron has made very few plays.

Again with the bye and adjustments all of us hope Talib coming back galvanizes the defense, but when do the Rams actually stuff the run? Most of the time, if they hold the opposition to 3-4 yards that's considered a win and that is why I'm concerned.

As to key stops @jacktheripper85 is correct, but against the Saints, when you score 35 points you should win and I understand the NFL is about offense, but until I see improved play from the likes of Suh, Brockers & Barron I will be holding my breath every time our defense is on the field.

Let's hope that with this bye Wade can find the time to review & make a decision where he wants to tinker with his major flaws in his current defense. As you pointed out our run & pass defense are far from running smooth. It's like the Rams defense is a 2018 Rolls-Royce Wraith with a 624-hp Ghost’s V-12 engine, sure looks great on the sideline however when started up & put on the road only 6 cylinders are fully operation the other 6 are constantly envolved in misfiring's.

Wade will get one all pro corner & a sure leader on the field back into action next weekend. Yes there wil be some rust to knock off but this will be big for the back seven. Get you big lead dog in his top throne seat ....now Peters moves back to #2 which will assist the young inconsistant Peters in staying focused. NRC will now see more of the field covering the slot's again this is a major plus here. 4th & 5th Corners Sam Shields & Troy Hill will not start & will return to relief moments which bumps previous dressed corner Dom Hatfield & Darious Williams back to street clothes & out of uniforms. So I see this above transition to be a serious upgrade in this secondary going down into the playoffs.

So IF we are to beat the Saints in NO this secondary can do it IF the run :sleep::sleepz::shocking::sick: defense begin to do its job for the first time.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I'd like to see examples before getting on board with a generalization that broad.

I'm also not clear why you would use two games where the defense was a complete sieve to illustrate how it comes up big when it needs to.

The offense won the Chiefs game. The defense got torched. Big stops? Are you sure about that? The defense got FIVE turnovers yet still gave up 51 points. It might be the worst performance by a defense I've ever seen from a Rams team. Ever. The guy who closed out that game was Hekker.

Against the Saints the offense clawed it's way back into the game and tied it only to see the defense fuck it up and give up a FG and then a huge 70+ yard pass play to put the game out of reach. They coughed up TEN points. So this defense let the Saints march down the field and score.

Against the Packers it was a late game play by AD that closed it out along with the ST fumble recovery. The defense had let the Packers take the lead in the 4th. He won that by himself.

Don't forget the holding call versus the Seahawks that killed a drive and pushed them out of FG range that would have given them the lead late in the game. The defense let them drive and they went from deep in their territory to the Rams 35.

Against the Broncos the defense let them back in the game late and the game was clinched by the ST's getting the onside kick with a bit of time on the clock. Otherwise the Broncos could have taken the game to OT since the defense gave up ten points in the 4th quarter.

Outside of the first three weeks this defense has been complete shit and the team would have 5-6 wins if it wasn't for the spectacular offense and the job Goff is doing to put points up. There is no way around it, the defense is giving up yards in the air and on the ground and giving up first downs at a rate that is terrible. I see no hope for the playoffs unless Goff has a Warner Version 2008 playoff run.

I'm concerned that this year and it's fantastic offense is going to go down the tubes because the defense can't stop anyone.

RamWoodie

Legend
The Rams defense has definitely come through in big situations. I still think this defense can start to gel once Talib comes back.
Talib coming back brings leadership we know...BUT...a player has to learn from his own experiences too. Not saying I'm glad Talib is out either. My point is these young LBs, CBs and safeties are learning from experience against some of the better QBs in the league. Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, and Mahomes. They run sophisticated offenses with deceptive sets, which can only hone them into better players mentally.

IT'S GONNA PAY OFF...wait and see!!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So IF we are to beat the Saints in NO this secondary can do it IF the run :sleep::sleepz::shocking::sick: defense begin to do its job for the first time.

If we play them again and our defense ONLY takes away Thomas, we will win the game. They have other weapons, but if you remove Thomas they won't hang with what our offense will do to their defense.

jjab360

Legend
Our CBs are what's killing us but they've been going up against some really, really good QBs and receivers so it's hard to fault them too hard. I think everyone struggles against legends like Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, wunderkid Mahomes, especially considering they are almost all having some career best seasons.

They feasted against some of the lesser QBs earlier in the season, though, and I think they'll fall around statistically average-slightly above average by the end of the season giving how easy the schedule looks after the bye.

It'll probably be shootouts by the time playoffs roll around assuming we'll be facing off against Brees and (hopefully) Mahomes/Brady. It'll be about who can get that last score at the end of the game. The one thing I think we can say definitively at this point is that our O will give us a chance no matter who we go up against.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The Rams defense gave up 21 points in the 4th quarter against the Chiefs.

That kind of performance will get you beat 99 out of 100 times.

I will not be surprised when drastic personnel and coaching changes on the defensive side are made in the offseason.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I keep waiting for the defense to gel... but it’s not clicking as you’d expect looking at the personnel.

It does feel to me, like @jacktheripper85 says, the big plays are there... and I honestly think those kind of plays are massive in the playoffs...

But, I’d like to see us reel in the points allowed. We need to improve there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to see examples before getting on board with a generalization that broad.

I'm also not clear why you would use two games where the defense was a complete sieve to illustrate how it comes up big when it needs to.

The offense won the Chiefs game. The defense got torched. Big stops? Are you sure about that? The defense got FIVE turnovers yet still gave up 51 points. It might be the worst performance by a defense I've ever seen from a Rams team. Ever. The guy who closed out that game was Hekker.

Against the Saints the offense clawed it's way back into the game and tied it only to see the defense freak it up and give up a FG and then a huge 70+ yard pass play to put the game out of reach. They coughed up TEN points. So this defense let the Saints march down the field and score.

Against the Packers it was a late game play by AD that closed it out along with the ST fumble recovery. The defense had let the Packers take the lead in the 4th. He won that by himself.

Don't forget the holding call versus the Seahawks that killed a drive and pushed them out of FG range that would have given them the lead late in the game. The defense let them drive and they went from deep in their territory to the Rams 35.

Against the Broncos the defense let them back in the game late and the game was clinched by the ST's getting the onside kick with a bit of time on the clock. Otherwise the Broncos could have taken the game to OT since the defense gave up ten points in the 4th quarter.

Outside of the first three weeks this defense has been complete crap and the team would have 5-6 wins if it wasn't for the spectacular offense and the job Goff is doing to put points up. There is no way around it, the defense is giving up yards in the air and on the ground and giving up first downs at a rate that is terrible. I see no hope for the playoffs unless Goff has a Warner Version 2008 playoff run.

I'm concerned that this year and it's fantastic offense is going to go down the tubes because the defense can't stop anyone.

wow. i don't even know where to start. you have completely missed the point of his post.

he's not saying the d has played well. he's saying when the team needs it the d makes a play to win the game.

chargers - after losing talib and peters the d makes enough stops for the rams to win fairly comfortably.

vikings - after getting torched the first 3 quarters the d steps it up in the 4th and gets to cousins a few times and gets the strip sack to end the game.

seafucks - the d forces a punt at the end and the offense closes out the game.

broncos - the d does enough to keep the broncos in check. there a 1% chance of regaining an onside kick nowadays.

packers - the d forces a 3 and out at the end of the game which sets up the winning fg for the rams

saints - the only game the d doesn't show up at the end.

seafucks - the d stops the oompa at the death, an incompletion on 4th down.

chiefs - 2 interceptions at the death.

how can you turn all that around to all that content in your post?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I keep waiting for the defense to gel... but it’s not clicking as you’d expect looking at the personnel.

It does feel to me, like @jacktheripper85 says, the big plays are there... and I honestly think those kind of plays are massive in the playoffs...

But, I’d like to see us reel in the points allowed. We need to improve there.

My fear is this is what the defense is going to be the rest of the year and into the playoffs.

I know getting Talib back boosts the secondary but I don't know if that will be enough. The run defense has been atrocious.

This defense has looked good against the Raiders, 49ers, Cardinals, good until late against the Broncos. Those teams are all below 500, the Raiders, Cardinals and 49ers are all 2-8 and the Broncos are 4-6. A combined 10-30 record.

Every other game saw the offenses move the ball pretty well to at will and score a lot. Against other teams they have given up 23, 31, 31, 27, 45, 31 and 51 points.

We can hope Talib's return will help, but the pass defense while not great hasn't been the Achilles heel on this defense. They have had only two games where they really did a nice job. Every other game has been either just OK or not very good at all. 4 games have been horribly bad. The scary things is it has been getting worse for the most part over these last handful of weeks.
(edit.......meant the run defense here)

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
wow. i don't even know where to start. you have completely missed the point of his post.

he's not saying the d has played well. he's saying when the team needs it the d makes a play to win the game.

chargers - after losing talib and peters the d makes enough stops for the rams to win fairly comfortably.

vikings - after getting torched the first 3 quarters the d steps it up in the 4th and gets to cousins a few times and gets the strip sack to end the game.

seafucks - the d forces a punt at the end and the offense closes out the game.

broncos - the d does enough to keep the broncos in check. there a 1% chance of regaining an onside kick nowadays.

packers - the d forces a 3 and out at the end of the game which sets up the winning fg for the rams

saints - the only game the d doesn't show up at the end.

seafucks - the d stops the oompa at the death, an incompletion on 4th down.

chiefs - 2 interceptions at the death.

how can you turn all that around to all that content in your post?

I understand his point and I replied as I did because I think it's an exaggerated point. It's not fair to say the defense is pulling out games. IMO the defense is putting the offense on the spot way to often. Thankfully Goff and the O have responded in splendid fashion.

Goff has four game winning drives/4th Q comebacks. In 11 games. Those could/would be in some cases losses with just "good" QB play or just a "good" offense. He has been Mr. Clutch.

To me the idea that the defense has picked it up at the end of games to allow the Rams to win is not accurate.

When someone says to me "well I'm hoping (insert whatever here)" my response is always the same. Hope is always a bad plan. That seems to be the feeling about Talib returning.

And again, I am concerned that in the playoffs it'll be the teams undoing because pretty much ever team with a shot to get into the post-season has a goor or excellent rushing attack.