I have a different take on our defense.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ellard80

Legend
I’ll probably take some heat for this but here goes. Granted our defense hasn’t played up to our expectations based on the acquisitions we made in the off season but I look at defensive play a little differently. There are “stats” and then there is “how does your defense play during big moments in a game”.

Everyone always touts Rex Ryan’s and Greg Williams defenses, however do you ever notice over the years that when their defenses need to make a key stop during the game the other team just marches down the field and scores?

One thing I will say about our defense this year is yes- they have given up a lot of yardage and some big plays, however, everytime we need a big stop or a turnover they have come up big time.

With all the scoring in the Saint game when we needed them to make key stops they did and gave the offense a chance to take the lead with a drive at the end of the game.

Same in the KC game. Everytime KC had a chance to go up by 2 scores the D came up with a huge turnover and then made 2 critical stops to end the game.

So although we would all like to see more “shutdown “ performances, this D shows up when it has too and they have done it against some of the top QBs in the league. I’ll take that any day. Just my 2 cents.

I made a similar thread a couple weeks ago.

They have been good in big moments... that being said improvements still need to happen.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand his point and I replied as I did because I think it's an exaggerated point. It's not fair to say the defense is pulling out games. IMO the defense is putting the offense on the spot way to often. Thankfully Goff and the O have responded in splendid fashion.

Goff has four game winning drives/4th Q comebacks. In 11 games. Those could/would be in some cases losses with just "good" QB play or just a "good" offense. He has been Mr. Clutch.

To me the idea that the defense has picked it up at the end of games to allow the Rams to win is not accurate.

When someone says to me "well I'm hoping (insert whatever here)" my response is always the same. Hope is always a bad plan. That seems to be the feeling about Talib returning.

And again, I am concerned that in the playoffs it'll be the teams undoing because pretty much ever team with a shot to get into the post-season has a goor or excellent rushing attack.

i can't disagree with anything you say here. nobody is happy with the way the d is playing now.

and i can say the op wasn't saying the d is pulling out games. just that when the team needs them to make a stop at the end they usually oblige. and if a team has a d that can do that they will usually win. of course without this offense the rams wouldn't win shit.

they're the complete opposite of william's d. they play well all game then give up a game winning td.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will not be surprised when drastic personnel and coaching changes on the defensive side are made in the offseason.
Okay some off the top of my head thoughts on your comments........:thinking:

Some indepth review of the overall effectiveness & performance of the following coaches:
#1-Safeties coach- Ejiro Evero
#2- DL Coach Bill Johnson
#3- CB's Coach- Aubrey Pleasant (McVay's buddy)

Some changes I would consider NO future 2019 contracts with the below defensive players:

UFA DL'er Ndamukong Suh $14 mil.
UFA LB'er Matt Longacre $1.7 mil.
UFA Lb'er Dom Easley $1.9 mil.
UFA LB'er Ramik Wilson
UFA FS Lamarcus Joyner $11.3 mil.
UFA CB Troy Hill

Release the following Ram defensive players:
ILB- Mark Barron cap costs close to $20 mil for 2019/2020 season

I would consider short term budget contracts on the below defensive players:
UFA DL'er Ethan Westbrooks Reserve
UFA CB Sam Shields Reserve
UFA MLB Bryce Hager Reserve
RFA FS Blake Countess Reserve
ERFA CB Kevin Peterson Reserve
ERFA DE Morgan Fox Reserve

I would make it a priority to sign good term contracts to the following 2018 Ram defensive players:
UFA ER Danta Fowler to start
RFA ILB Cory Littleton to start in place of Mark Barron
:headexplosion:

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The problem is, we don't have the personnel to run the 3-4, but we've been running it anyway.

Also, last week, we were running a 4-2-5 for most of the game, and it didn't exactly stop KC from scoring either.

jacktheripper85

Starter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wow. i don't even know where to start. you have completely missed the point of his post.

he's not saying the d has played well. he's saying when the team needs it the d makes a play to win the game.

chargers - after losing talib and peters the d makes enough stops for the rams to win fairly comfortably.

vikings - after getting torched the first 3 quarters the d steps it up in the 4th and gets to cousins a few times and gets the strip sack to end the game.

seafucks - the d forces a punt at the end and the offense closes out the game.

broncos - the d does enough to keep the broncos in check. there a 1% chance of regaining an onside kick nowadays.

packers - the d forces a 3 and out at the end of the game which sets up the winning fg for the rams

saints - the only game the d doesn't show up at the end.

seafucks - the d stops the oompa at the death, an incompletion on 4th down.

chiefs - 2 interceptions at the death.

how can you turn all that around to all that content in your post?

Thanks for backing me up and I might add that even in the Saint game the defense made a stop on the drive before Peters got burnt and gave the offense a chance to take the lead. Again, I’m not saying we are playing stellar defense the entire game but I challenge anyone to say that they haven’t made the stops when they’ve had to.

The best analogy I could give regarding how I look at our D is that if our offense only put up 17 points in a game I think the D would give up less. Football is a game of intensity and with an offense like ours I’m sure the defense relaxes a little bit but no one can argue the facts that every time we’ve needed a crucial stop this year the defense has stepped up. You can’t go 10-1 against the QBs we’ve played if your defense doesn’t step up in crucial spots.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
they're the complete opposite of william's d. they play well all game then give up a game winning td.

Agree with this.

IMHO, 2018 Rams’ D has a knack for playing crappy for most of the game, then coming up big in a clutch situation near the very end.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I wanted to make a thread about this exact thing but was too lazy. For all the hate the defense gets, they have stepped up when needed in every game (saints aside). Im not sure if its just them only playing their absolute best when they need to, Wade playing a softer/more beatable D earlier in the game and save the good stuff for the end when its needed, or something else entirely, but whatever it is it gets the job done. The offense is great enough to put the defense in a situation where they can end the game with a stop and they've done that most of the time. Sure a blowout win would be nice, but ill take a key stop late in the game rather than early in the game any day of the week. plus in the end, a win is a win

TheTackle

Pro Bowler

Some indepth review of the overall effectiveness & performance of the following coaches:

Some changes I would consider NO future 2019 contracts with the below defensive players:

UFA LB'er Ramik Wilson
UFA CB Troy Hill

I would make it a priority to sign good term contracts to the following 2018 Ram defensive players:

Couldn’t agree more - I would keep Suh, he has played well - but needs to be kept fresh. We should have resigned Cory when we offered him a starting role. Anyone watching last season might have guessed he was ascending

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A few things to also consider.... They have played a long list of great QB's and or great offenses. Thus far they have seen Rivers, Wilson (twice), Cousins, Rogers, Brees, and Mahomes.

So 7 of their 11 games involved top level QBs. Few teams have dealt with that.

Also because of the pressure the Rams offenses put on teams, the opposing teams are throwing the kitchen sink at the Rams D as they know that they have to score. So the Rams are seeing agressive offenses.

The one major issue though is the rushing defense as Seahawks have exploited. However it seems Philips is not too concerned about that based on the alignments of their fronts and how they seem to be rushing the passer on every play. Thus they tend to get gashed on the ground, yet make a big play when needed in the passing game.

So to me if they can tighten up the run D and Talib can solidify the coverage on the backend, they should be in decent shape for the playoff run. Especially is Ebukam continues to play at a higher level.

We shall see I guess.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to add a question in here. We seem to have a potent, high powered offense. We can score quickly and efficiently from anywhere on the field. Is our defense spending more playing time during the games. Is our offense actually hindering them as the game goes along? Just a question.

I was thinking about the poor offense of 2015, and how that defense must have spent a lot of time o the field due to three and outs. However, this team scores pretty quickly causing our D to come back out on the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'd like to add a question in here. We seem to have a potent, high powered offense. We can score quickly and efficiently from anywhere on the field. Is our defense spending more playing time during the games. Is our offense actually hindering them as the game goes along? Just a question.

I was thinking about the poor offense of 2015, and how that defense must have spent a lot of time o the field due to three and outs. However, this team scores pretty quickly causing our D to come back out on the field.

Looks like we rank 5th in offensive time of possession.

31:07 Average per game

So, the defense isn’t on the field a disproportionate amount.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/average-time-of-possession-net-of-ot

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere

UFA LB'er Ramik Wilson
UFA CB Troy Hill

I'd agree with those personnel moves. Other than some OL depth and a new backup QB the offense does not need attention which leaves plenty of draft positions and FA $ for this defense.

I suspect the defense's performance in this year's playoffs will determine the fate of the defensive coaching staff.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

UFA LB'er Ramik Wilson
UFA CB Troy Hill

Simply an outstanding post, Bonifay.

As a results oriented person, I particularly resonate with your suggestion of putting coaches Johnson, Evero, and Pleasant under the microscope. For the obvious reason that play in their respective 3 areas has been underwhelming. Perhaps Wade should be looking into the mirror, too. Yeah, I said it. No one is above being self examined.

My compliments on your long list of players to keep, extend, or let go, as well. Nicely thought out and all seem sensible moves to me.

Looks like a big draft and FA coming up on D, huh?

Malibu

Pro Bowler
Why does everyone think Peters play will improve when Talib comes back to hold his hand? I get that Talib will get the #1 WR and Peters the other side, but Peters is Peters and that ain't going to change. Given his history so far this season, QB's and DC's are going to target him with the same results.
Disagree he is currently traveling all over the field. If he plays the left side for the most part the defense will do better. I am not saying everything will get better with Talib back that would be irresponsible to say.

I have seen several posts that says we did so much better the first three games well look who we played. SD was without Bosa so they were hampered. But we will be better.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Appreciate the post and point of view of the OP but I look at it totally differently. Basically a TD in the beginning of a game is worth the same amount as at the end. So saying the D comes up big is sort of forgetting that the D put the team in trouble in the first place by not getting the job done throughout the game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
At least our defense knows how to make a play at crunch time, unlike the Panthers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd agree with those personnel moves. Other than some OL depth and a new backup QB the offense does not need attention which leaves plenty of draft positions and FA $ for this defense.I suspect the defense's performance in this year's playoffs will determine the fate of the defensive coaching staff.
Agree with you on the offensive... QB & LT would be my two top needs The issue is the LA Rams will go into the 2019 Draft with only four picks due to Sneads trades.

Snead Deals that traded off 3 picks for the 2019 Draft:
*traded 2nd rd. selection for KC's CB Peters.
*traded 3rd rd. selection for Jax. ER Fowler. Note: If the Rams do receive a 3rd rd compensatory pick it would go to Jax.
*traded 7th rd selection in 2019 in the NYG Ogletree deal.

However that might change because of 3 previous projected 2019 compensatory picks. Originally discussed earlier in this forum was the probability of 2 third round comp picks to be handed out to the Rams due to the UFA losses of Sammy & Trumaine. The bad news is Tru has only completed 4 full gms for the NYJ due to injuries. I would guess the Rams will get a 4th rd. comp pick instead of a 3rd rd'er in the end. We should hope that Tru is able to recover from the same long term injury he had with us & make the pro bowl;). Not going to happen:(....will be decided upon in late Febuary 2019.

IMO this is close to what Sbead will have ( 8 picks) to address our needs next season:
#1 rd pick
#3rd rd pick
#3rd Comp Pick for Sammy Watkins
#4th rd pick
#4th rd Comp pick for Trumaine Johnson
#5th rd pick
#6th rd pick
#7th rd Comp pick for Cody Davis
Couldn’t agree more - I would keep Suh, he has played well - but needs to be kept fresh. We should have resigned Cory when we offered him a starting role. Anyone watching last season might have guessed he was ascending
So you see Suh being worth his $14 million cap cost hit & again in 2019? If Suh does return I would not put him @ NT I would flip Brockers with him. I believe Suh would be more productive @ LDE post. My top Ram big $$ UFA priority would be Ol'er Rodger Saffold to protect Goff.

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Agree with you on the offensive... QB & LT would be my two top needs The issue is the LA Rams will go into the 2019 Draft with only four picks due to Sneads trades.

Snead Deals that traded off 3 picks for the 2019 Draft:
*traded 2nd rd. selection for KC's CB Peters.
*traded 3rd rd. selection for Jax. ER Fowler. Note: If the Rams do receive a 3rd rd compensatory pick it would go to Jax.
*traded 7th rd selection in 2019 in the NYG Ogletree deal.

However that might change because of 3 previous projected 2019 compensatory picks. Originally discussed earlier in this forum was the probability of 2 third round comp picks to be handed out to the Rams due to the UFA losses of Sammy & Trumaine. The bad news is Tru has only completed 4 full gms for the NYJ due to injuries. I would guess the Rams will get a 4th rd. comp pick instead of a 3rd rd'er in the end. We should hope that Tru is able to recover from the same long term injury he had with us & make the pro bowl;). Not going to happen:(....will be decided upon in late Febuary 2019.

IMO this is close to what Sbead will have ( 8 picks) to address our needs next season:
#1 rd pick
#3rd rd pick
#4th rd pick
#5th rd pick
#6th rd pick
So you see Suh being worth his $14 million cap cost hit & again in 2019? If Suh does return I would not put him @ NT I would flip Brockers with him. My top Ram UFA priority would be Ol'er Rodger Saffold to protect Goff.

We have plenty of space to sign both. Suh will be hard to replace. Agreed, I cannot understand why he is the NT, it hasn’t worked and he has looked better at End. We need a real NT in the worst way, to my mind. Saffold is playing at all-pro level, so on that basis, we have to keep him

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
#1 rd pick
#3rd rd pick
#4th rd pick
#5th rd pick
#6th rd pick

We are TOTALLY FUCKED.

Just ONE 6th rounder??!!??!!??!!??

There goes ANY chance at a dynasty.

I hope Snead can find a way to flip the #1 and two #3's into some 6 rounders. If he doesn't he should give back his salary and publish an apology on social media and endure a public flogging.

I fucking HATE that guy.

:neener: