I have a different take on our defense.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Victor
Appreciate the post and point of view of the OP but I look at it totally differently. Basically a TD in the beginning of a game is worth the same amount as at the end. So saying the D comes up big is sort of forgetting that the D put the team in trouble in the first place by not getting the job done throughout the game.

perfectly said

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
However that might change because of 3 previous projected 2019 compensatory picks. Originally discussed earlier in this forum was the probability of 2 third round comp picks to be handed out to the Rams due to the UFA losses of Sammy & Trumaine. The bad news is Tru has only completed 4 full gms for the NYJ due to injuries. I would guess the Rams will get a 4th rd. comp pick instead of a 3rd rd'er in the end. We should hope that Tru is able to recover from the same long term injury he had with us & make the pro bowl;). Not going to happen:(....will be decided upon in late Febuary 2019.
Hey Boni, I had no idea the amount of games a player played in affected the Comp pick. I always thought it was only the contract he signed in FA. That definitely sucks

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hey Boni, I had no idea the amount of games a player played in affected the Comp pick. I always thought it was only the contract he signed in FA. That definitely sucks

The formula used to award compensatory draft picks, developed by the NFL Management Council, has never been publicly revealed. However, in the years since 1994 outside observers have been able to determine much of how the formula works, and have created projections in an effort to demystify how compensatory picks work, a prthatocess that has confused many an NFL fan.
https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Compensatory Picks:
  • These picks are determined at the league\'s annual meeting before the draft and are given to teams that in the previous year\'s free agency period have lost more or better free agent players than they gained.
  • This highly confidential formula, created by the NFL Management Council, is based on players\' salaries, playing time, post-season awards, and the net amount of free agents lost versus free agents signed.
  • The maximum amount of picks any team can gain is 4 and they cannot be traded.:thinking::headexplosion:
https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

Me either your not alone I just read that information off NFL.com site article.

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
The formula used to award compensatory draft picks, developed by the NFL Management Council, has never been publicly revealed. However, in the years since 1994 outside observers have been able to determine much of how the formula works, and have created projections in an effort to demystify how compensatory picks work, a prthatocess that has confused many an NFL fan.
https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Compensatory Picks:
  • These picks are determined at the league\'s annual meeting before the draft and are given to teams that in the previous year\'s free agency period have lost more or better free agent players than they gained.
  • This highly confidential formula, created by the NFL Management Council, is based on players\' salaries, playing time, post-season awards, and the net amount of free agents lost versus free agents signed.
  • The maximum amount of picks any team can gain is 4 and they cannot be traded.:thinking::headexplosion:
https://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

Me either your not alone I just read that information off NFL.com site article.
Freaking sucks:(
So after the Fowler trade I thought we would have a
1-1st
2-3rd
1-4th in the first 4 rounds.
Now it looks like
1-1st
1-3rd
2-4th. we need to stop trading away anymore picks lol.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The problem is, we don't have the personnel to run the 3-4, but we've been running it anyway.Also, last week, we were running a 4-2-5 for most of the game, and it didn't exactly stop KC from scoring either.
I believe that Wade's current defensive issues is ......NOT that we don't have enough defensive personnel to play the 34 but we have non playmakers in starting playmaking positions....i.e Deep/Free/High Safety Lamarcu Joyner & Weak side Interior LB Mark Barron.

I have agreed with you that our DL oozes 43 D playamkers;).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Freaking sucks:(
So after the Fowler trade I thought we would have a
1-1st
2-3rd
1-4th in the first 4 rounds.
Now it looks like
1-1st
1-3rd
2-4th. we need to stop trading away anymore picks lol.[/QUOT
Sure looks likely your right only 2 picks total for Thursday & Friday nights draft Once again Snead's action will heat up on Saturday with five selections.

I do feel good about what OLB/ER Dante Fowler Jr will do for Wade's Defense from this point on. Rams had to make that deal for that 3rd pick IMO. Wade's D just does not work without pressure coming from the exteriors of the DL.

The Rams need to try to keep UFA Fowler around next season IF possible:cautious:.

Last edited:

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Sure looks likely your right only 2 picks total for Thursday & Friday nights draft Once again Snead's action will heat up on Saturday with five selections.

I do feel good about what OLB/ER Dante Fowler Jr will do for Wade's Defense from this point on. Rams had to make that deal for that 3rd pick IMO. Wade's D just does not work without pressure coming from the exteriors of the DL.

The Rams need to try to keep UFA Fowler around next season IF possible:cautious:.
yup, hopefully he's willing to sign here

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I would certainly rather that they come up big before they've given up more than 30 points...

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
The defense has been frustrating, to say the least. Having said that, we have Aaron Donald who, knock on wood, makes the big boy plays when we need them the most. I hate that we put ourselves in crappy positions to begin with, but it's great to see that when the D needs to step up, I feel relatively good, despite giving up what seems to be 30+ a game...

I want to see some major improvements. And I think we'll start to see the defense get better with Talib back in the lineup. He's coming back in time for when we truly need him the most. Once we have that leader back, I think we'll start to see a more dominant defense, with players like Ebukam coming into their own. It'll be exciting to see.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
jacktheripper85,

You have a valid point, for sure.

In today's NFL, the top teams are putting up points. Living by the defense means dying by the defense--see jax.

How do you beat these offensive juggernauts? You get timely stops and TOs. See our game vs KC. See yesterday's steelers/broncos game.
...but there's one thing that works against ANY QB, any offense...get to the QB. Put him down and keep him down.
See Aaron Donald.

After our last victory vs KC, I'm less concerned with our defense as I was prior. If we keep getting TOs, and our offense DOESNT turn the ball over, we can beat anybody.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Our CBs are what's killing us but they've been going up against some really, really good QBs and receivers so it's hard to fault them too hard. I think everyone struggles against legends like Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Wilson, wunderkid Mahomes, especially considering they are almost all having some career best seasons.

Agreed that our defense has faced a murderer's row of offensive matchups. But that said the Rams' brain trust is undoubtedly as concerned as we are wrt how they have played, expecting a good unit and not getting it.

And they're going to address the personnel after this season. They don't need elite players at every position to have a top defense, they simply need to NOT have subpar performers scattered throughout the unit. If most of the 11 on the field are doing their jobs, the defensive call by this staff is going to get the job done more often than not. But the Rams have those subpar performers not doing their jobs scattered throughout the unit and it's affecting the entire unit's ability to play the call. And even worse, some of those guys aren't going to be capable of improvement.

I know getting Talib back boosts the secondary but I don't know if that will be enough. The run defense has been atrocious.

Yeah the run defense is not going to be fixed this season, or this playoffs. It is what it is, even though I do maintain some hope that our OLB can improve. We need defensive roster work at every level of the unit. NT, ILB, OLB, FS, CB. Not major work, as we do have some good pieces, but replacing the guys who cannot play the call is the key IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Couldn’t agree more - I would keep Suh, he has played well - but needs to be kept fresh. We should have resigned Cory when we offered him a starting role. Anyone watching last season might have guessed he was ascending

Since we were discussing this this weekend, I went out & found this information on DL'er Ndamukong Suh who will be 32 yrs old before the Rams 2018 season comes to a close.

Current Contract

• Free Agent: 2019
  • Avg. Salary: $14,000,000
  • NFL Rank: 63
  • DT Rank: 8

Market Value as a 2019 UFA.

• 3 yrs, $27,956,291
  • Avg. Salary: $9.4 million
  • NFL Rank: 159
  • DT Rank: 16
If I had any input with your suggestion on NT Suh being retained in 2019 or longer.... I might get on board with you IF the Rams were able to talk Jay-Z (Roc Nation Sports) Suh's agent & Suh to take a less $$ in the range of $16 million for 2 yrs contract to play the LDE position in the Wade Defense. This would keep him under contract until he is 34 yr old. I agree that he needs to be kept fresh, so I would pair him with our rookie DE John Franklin- Myers to rotate with. I believe those two would be a dynamic duo to cause havoc on the opposite side of Aaron Donald/ Tanzel Smart duo on the right. I do not want Suh starting @ NT anymore.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/ndamukong-suh-6511/market-value/

I would suggest that Wade return DL'er Brockers back to the nose, push to draft a talented legit NT in the 2019 draft that will not need to start as a Rookie. In addition get our current rookie NT 6-4 315 lb Sebastian Joesph-Myer into the rotation to see what he can offer in the future...or not.

If the Rams can afford to pay Suh $14 million a year as you believe I would prefer to go out & sign the Falcons 25 yr old UFA/ free agent Nose Tackle Grady Jarrett in place of Suh.(y)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/grady-jarrett-16863/market-value/

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Agreed that our defense has faced a murderer's row of offensive matchups. But that said the Rams' brain trust is undoubtedly as concerned as we are wrt how they have played, expecting a good unit and not getting it.

And they're going to address the personnel after this season. They don't need elite players at every position to have a top defense, they simply need to NOT have subpar performers scattered throughout the unit. If most of the 11 on the field are doing their jobs, the defensive call by this staff is going to get the job done more often than not. But the Rams have those subpar performers not doing their jobs scattered throughout the unit and it's affecting the entire unit's ability to play the call. And even worse, some of those guys aren't going to be capable of improvement.

Yeah the run defense is not going to be fixed this season, or this playoffs. It is what it is, even though I do maintain some hope that our OLB can improve. We need defensive roster work at every level of the unit. NT, ILB, OLB, FS, CB. Not major work, as we do have some good pieces, but replacing the guys who cannot play the call is the key IMO.
I think the rams have the talent to stop the run. It's just want to.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If this was Fisher's offense paired to Wade's defense you probably wouldn't even want to watch the product on the field. You could say that Wade has been short changed, but he really was given some talent at secondary, though the entire defense still lacks the same priority of turnover and replacement that we've seen on the offensive side of the ball, which I'm fine with because the result has the Rams outscoring their opposition.

What I don't agree with is the notion that Wade is holding back some plays/fronts in order to surprise the opposition, which is a interesting, because I had been considering that notion for a while. I think his plan was to acquire corners who can play tight coverage right off of the line, getting consistent pressure on the quarterback with his star players. And that's the elephant in the room, with Donald, Suh, Brockers and now Fowler, we haven't gotten the pressure. I don't think the league allowing offensive holding more helps the Rams strategy attacking the interior.

My thought is that you really want to keep Suh and Donald at 3 tech. So I guess you try out a traditional space eating nose tackle to help support that run defense because our inside line backers would mesh better with a traditional 3-4 space eating 1 tech. How much of the game does he spend in 4-2-5 anyway? The problem isn't really the DL so much as it is the linebackers not really working well with what we have. 4-3 would be great with a thumping linebacker that can shed blocks, and 3-4 would be great if we had OLBs that were a serious threat with outside pressure. So, yeah the addition of Fowler really has me wanting to see Franklin-Myers.

I just don't think he's really holding anything back. If anything, a good defense, just like McVay's adjustments on offense, should be perpetually pushing the edge for what works or doesn't against different teams, and I don't see that happening. As always, the factors are everywhere. Peters really hasn't lived up to expectations, Talib was injured, the interior rush is being held and the outside rush isn't getting it done either.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My thought is that you really want to keep Suh and Donald at 3 tech. So I guess you try out a traditional space eating nose tackle to help support that run defense because our inside line backers would mesh better with a traditional 3-4 space eating 1 tech. How much of the game does he spend in 4-2-5 anyway? The problem isn't really the DL so much as it is the linebackers not really working well with what we have. 4-3 would be great with a thumping linebacker that can shed blocks, and 3-4 would be great if we had OLBs that were a serious threat with outside pressure. So, yeah the addition of Fowler really has me wanting to see Franklin-Myers.

I think they need to just take an impact player end of round 1, best player/fit on the board, and I pray it's on the defensive side of the ball. If it's a NT who can kill it in run/pass so be it. Or a top-notch cover corner prospect, or an ILB with strong run/pass range, etc. I've come to the opinion that FS, specifically a guy who can switch it up from deep middle or box play, is the biggest addition we could make for this defense, but it doesn't really matter.

Just replace the dudes who aren't executing their jobs.

Most important thing for the Rams the rest of the season and into the playoffs is the development of the young players who do have upside. Defensively that is only Littleton, Ebukam, Johnson and Fowler (who is only 24, just sucks that he's a FA after the season). Maybe even Obo can start to show enough to dress down the stretch which would be valuable because it would help Les prioritize needs on that side of the ball.

Looking at the offense they're not only a great unit but their young guys who are stepping up now make that side of the roster look ridiculously good. Higs & Everett coming on hard and fast. JRey arriving too. Goff already a top 5 signal caller and still hasn't peaked. Havenstein primed for his first Pro Bowl. OL depth rookies that enabled cutting of a vet RG earlier this year. I mean damn.

Defense requires more draft capital this next offseason IMO. That on top of a couple key FA signings to eliminate those subpar roster parts.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Most important thing for the Rams the rest of the season and into the playoffs is the development of the young players who do have upside. Defensively that is only Littleton, Ebukam, Johnson and Fowler (who is only 24, just sucks that he's a FA after the season). Maybe even Obo can start to show enough to dress down the stretch which would be valuable because it would help Les prioritize needs on that side of the ball.

I'd also include John Franklin-Myers in that category. He's probably going to be Brockers' replacement (as much as I hate to say it, given that Brockers is my favorite player on the Rams...but then again, I liked Quinn, Sims, Long, Laurinaitis, and Hayes as well...and Brockers has clearly taken several steps back.)

Would love to draft Dexter Lawrence with our first round pick.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
If the Rams can afford to pay Suh $14 million a year as you believe I would prefer to go out & sign the Falcons 25 yr old UFA/ free agent Nose Tackle Grady Jarrett in place of Suh.(y)
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/grady-jarrett-16863/market-value/

I do not know anything about Jarrett, but it would make sense to sign a vet. Totally agree, this has to be a top priority if we are going to ask our DL to penetrate rather than hold the line. I really like your idea on rotating Suh and Myers (and signing Suh to a team friendly contract) - Where do you see Brockers next year? I dare say this, but he looks better suited to the 4:3 - he is a good player, no doubt and team captain, but hasn't made much of an impact this season

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If our D just started tackling better and mobbing the ball like they did last year, our run defense suddenly, drastically improves.

Better tackling, less confusion in the secondary and an emerging outside pass rush - thats how Wade AND MCVAY will tune this D up for January.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I do not know anything about Jarrett, but it would make sense to sign a vet. Totally agree, this has to be a top priority if we are going to ask our DL to penetrate rather than hold the line. I really like your idea on rotating Suh and Myers (and signing Suh to a team friendly contract) - Where do you see Brockers next year? I dare say this, but he looks better suited to the 4:3 - he is a good player, no doubt and team captain, but hasn't made much of an impact this season
Ref Grady Jarrett....He is a rare NT who can perform his duties against the run & pass @ high degree of effectiveness. He had very good game against our interior OL in the playoff gm. If he departs Atl he will be a top UFA free agent.

On Rookie DE JFM, He is looking like a probable starter @ the LDE post(5 tech) where Brockers starts now. I suspect that DE Morgan Fox (IR'd) will be the leading prospect to back him up in 2019. Tanzel Smart is a pure 3 tech DT. So with Ethan Westbrooks no longer under contract UFA Smart will replace him to back up Donald.

Brockers next yr?...DE Michael Brockers has not been able to get much pass rush pressure from that LDE post as I expected. Right side OL'ers have won the majority of battles thus far this season. MB has only 1 sack going into wk#12. However MB AT times he is still somewhat effective in the run D. MB lost over 20 pounds from last season to help him @ that LDE post. MB is near 6-6 305 lbs. I still believe that Brockers can be a Wade type NT. But Rams must prepare for a new NT.

I see Brockers returning to the NT post for his final season under contract here in LA. MB will earn $11 million again next season. MB might put back on some muscle & lbs. for next season. At this point in time Sebastian Joseph-Day will back up the NT post. Rams will be forced to use one of their top 4 picks on a NT.

I would hope that Wade during the bye made plans for a change up where he will flip Brockers & Suh (LDE / NT posts) often from this point on. Keeping he the opponent's OL always off balance as to where Suh lines up. Another change I hope to see this Sunday....since he now has real bona fide pass rushers in OLB'ers Fowler & rookie Og Okoronkwo healthy ......Wade will turn loose rookie DE Franklin-Myers to rotate in heavy @ that LDE post. Thus keeping both Brockers & Suh fresh to stop the run into the playoffs.

Last edited: