I believe in Keenum! Too early to judge Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I don't think Goff wins fewer games than Keenum if they both start 16 that's the whole thing. This narrative people are pulling out that Keenum won us games at the end of the year is simply false and lazy box score thinking. The defense and Gurley won us games. If Keenum truly was the QB to win games he could have won the week 17 game in SF. I honestly believe that even through the bumps a rookie QB will go through he will contribute more towards the Rams winning games in 2016 than Case Keenum could.

Interesting points. So, you say Goff could contribute more to the offense even subtracting his probable turnovers than Keenum? I hope you're right. After viewing many 11-on-11 sessions in Irvine the past few weeks and the 3 preseason games, I see a big difference between the two. I hope the "Bumps" you describe are few and far between regarding Goff.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I respect that. I'm coming from a perspective that I have seen both Keenum and Goff run the offense in practice and in the 3 preseason games and there is big difference between the 2.
I understand your point about the offensive production in the Seattle game, but that TD to Britt was huge!

Yea but that's our starting QB. Him throwing a TD in a game is the bare minimum of what should be expected.

That's my problem. We need something more if we want an offense that will average 20+ points per game. We need a spark.

Interesting points. So, you say Goff could contribute more to the offense even subtracting his probable turnovers than Keenum? I hope you're right. After viewing many 11-on-11 sessions in Irvine the past few weeks and the 3 preseason games, I see a big difference between the two. I hope the "Bumps" you describe are few and far between regarding Goff.

Difference is that Goff is going to keep getting better. Keenum is Keenum. He's not a rookie anymore. This is just who he is. I didn't see a big difference between the two in the third preseason game. I see the difference shrink by the week. The more experience Goff gets, the better he gets. And that will result in him surpassing Keenum in quick order imo. But you can't substitute real game experience.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
It's also circular logic.;)

Goff's ready to start because Fisher is starting him. Fisher is starting Goff because he's ready. It's circular. Fisher could start Goff even if he's not ready. But your logic here is that no matter when Fisher starts him, he's ready. Because Fisher will only start him when he's ready.

Third base!

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. As much as I like Goff, the trade was made to improve the Team, not just now but for the future. This team is ready to compete now! I'm not willing to lose games with a rookie QB making mistakes.

A 7-9 QB you describe went into Seattle last year and helped guide the Rams to a win with some great plays. Case Keenum is the best driver of the Rams offense NOW....... If he falters and Goff has shown improvement, then the keys can be passed to Goff at that time.

Here is a question for everyone in general that wants Goff to start now : How many games are you willing to lose in 2016 with a rookie QB (Goff) learning on the job?
If Keenum is that good they should have used the two 1st , two 2nd , and the 3rd they gave away to improve the team . My worry is that if he can't beat out Keenum it doesn't look good .

Bruce2980

Starter
Keenum was a step away from throwing three pick sixes this preseason while everyone talks about the one Goff almost threw in Denver. Keenum doesn't have the arm, it effects not only his non existent deep pass, but the short and intermediate passes as well. If Keenum plays, just hand the dam ball off, no point in throwing it for three or four yards, and watch it get dropped, especially on third down, when Gurley can run for 60. They ran Eric Dickerson on third and long, and against the Cardinals on year it was third and forever, he ended up being just inches short, Gurley can do it too.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I just had a 400 yard game with Case Keenum in Madden.

Eat it, haters.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If Keenum is that good they should have used the two 1st , two 2nd , and the 3rd they gave away to improve the team . My worry is that if he can't beat out Keenum it doesn't look good .

Keenum isn't that good. But he played better than Foles after Foles was speared by Matthews. That's why he was the #1 going into the off season. Clearly, the Rams knew he wasn't the long term answer so they pulled off the huge deal to get Goff. Apparently Goff hasn't grasped enough to give us a better chance to win than Keenum. Today. Right now.

It's been 1 month. 30 days. And the angst and worry is....to be honest....extremely premature.

Many fans are jumping the gun big time.....

"Why didn't we play him from the start of preseason with the 1's?"
"Why can't he beat out the pedestrian Case Keenum?"
"Why did they give up so much to get this kid?"
"This is terrible, how embarrassing for the Rams.....look at Dak Prescott!!"
"This does not look good"

Chill people!! Seriously, it's been 30 days!! The hand wringing and angst is unsettling. But it is understandable to some degree. The Rams have sucked for over a decade and fans are worried that isn't going to change anytime soon. I'd go so far to say, they expect failure. Relax. Take a breath. The Rams season doesn't start for another 13 days. Or 50% of what has passed since camp started.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I really have to disagree. It's a lose-lose.
1. Keenum wins but Goff comes in later and looks better - "Why didn't you play Goff earlier?"
2. Keenum loses but Goff comes in and looks good - "Why did you hurt our season by not playing Goff?"
3. Keenum wins and Goff spends the season on the bench - "Why did you give up all that for Goff?"
4. Keenum loses and Goff looks bad - "Why did you give up all that for Goff?"

There is nothing wrong at all with Keenum winning tons of games this season and Goff sitting a year. Goff will get the job next year with tons of experience about how everything works, and with all the #1 snaps in next year's camp.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is nothing wrong at all with Keenum winning tons of games this season and Goff sitting a year. Goff will get the job next year with tons of experience about how everything works, and with all the #1 snaps in next year's camp.

If I thought that was likely to happen, I wouldn't advocate for Goff to play. Keenum is just like the other QBs who have made us a consistent 6-7 win team over the past few years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our HC seems to feel differently. I'll trust that he knows when his QB is ready, not fans from a forum.
I don't. For the better part of 10 years rookie QB have been starting right away and playing well. If Goff is the exception than either he wasn't worth his draft position or he wasn't brought to speed correctly.
Cant have it both ways

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a win-win situation for Fisher and the Rams. Keenum starting. Goff sitting.

1. If Keenum wins, why change?
2. If Keenum loses, put the kid in, he can't do worse and can only get seasoned earlier.
3. If Keenum is injured, it's a needed move and nobody can criticize starting CK over Goff to start the season off.
4. If Goff starts and they lose.....or worse he gets pummeled with regularity while losing.....he could develop Marc Bulger syndrome.

The bottom line is this: The Rams don't have to win in 2016. I (and we) want to win. Everybody wants Fisher to want to win. And he says "no 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 this year". They have to win once Goff is entrenched as the starter.
You have this all backwards
If the Rams don't have to win in 2016, then there is absolutely no reason to start Keenum

Athos

Legend
Fisher just handles QBs poorly.

If you want a REAL competition to see how QBs run the offense, you give them both multiple series with the 1s. Goff didn't get much time at all with the 1s in real game action. Kinda fucking silly to judge him off the garbage depth at OL and WR/rookies.

Should run Goff out there with Gurley, Britt, Tavon and the starting O-Line.

I don't get it.

Bruce2980

Starter

If I were the owner and If Keenum won tons of games for the LA Rams this year, then I would view the trade up for Goff as a stupid wasted move and Fisher/Snead would be fired since they have no idea what they are doing.
Goff starts and starts soon!

Ramatik

Starter
It's very easy to say. Personally for me and a lot of people feel that you learn by doing not by watching. You can show me a video on how to properly butter toast. But until you get the toast butter and a knife in front of you you haven't really learned how to do it.

Now secondly that thinking on your part isn't honest. Do you think he's not going to get the same film study week in and week out as the starter? Hell the study will be better for him and more personalized as they'll be going over things he did! Sorry but you just reinforced my opinion that it's better for Goff to start right now.

That's a fine Analogy Old School. Heh

Let's see how it holds up to another profession like.... say, Brain Surgery. Just get in there and fix stuff! That's the best way to learn!

Hmmm, how many years do you have to study? How many fake heads will you have to work on? How many times will you have to sit on the "bench" and watch it being done before you get to put your hands into somebody's skull?

Okay that's two extremes. I think Quarterback in the NFL may be somewhere in the middle of Buttering a piece of Toast and Brain Surgeon.

But the money being made for skills that most people don't have is certainly closer to the top end of the scale.

:)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you saying surgeons of all walks don't do the actual work on cadavers? I'd say working on a cadaver and actually seeing what the surgery entails is a hell of a lot more on hands of a training than holding a clip board and watching a football game from the sidelines. Also prop's on comparing being a QB to a brain surgeon or a guy in the kitchen at Denny's buttering toast. :D

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's a thought concerning a QB learning from sitting on the bench. How many games did Warner start before taking over for Green in 1999? Rodgers didn't start a game his first 3 years. He got into 7 games that were already lost (3) or won (3) and 1 where Favre was injured (a 37-27 loss). He had a 93.8 QBR (28-13 TD-INT 4000 yards) the first year he was the #1. Sitting and watching didn't hurt either of those 2 guys. Surely Goff isn't going to be sitting long unless Keenum really surprises and plays over his head or unless Goff is a total lug nut and can't learn the offense (which he isn't). There really isn't an urgency to get him in there before he's ready. He can't even call all the plays in the huddle yet. There's still almost 2 weeks until game 1 and even if he doesn't start until week 3, that's practically a month of practice and study.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's a thought concerning a QB learning from sitting on the bench. How many games did Warner start before taking over for Green in 1999? Rodgers didn't start a game his first 3 years. He got into 7 games that were already lost (3) or won (3) and 1 where Favre was injured (a 37-27 loss). He had a 93.8 QBR (28-13 TD-INT 4000 yards) the first year he was the #1. Sitting and watching didn't hurt either of those 2 guys. Surely Goff isn't going to be sitting long unless Keenum really surprises and plays over his head or unless Goff is a total lug nut and can't learn the offense (which he isn't). There really isn't an urgency to get him in there before he's ready. He can't even call all the plays in the huddle yet. There's still almost 2 weeks until game 1 and even if he doesn't start until week 3, that's practically a month of practice and study.

Kurt Warner started 52 games between the Iowa Barnstormers and the Amsterdam Admirals prior to starting for the Rams. There's an idea maybe we should send Goff over there. Or hey we can have him sit behind our HoF QB the last few years he's in town. Hmmmm Can we get the aforementioned Warner away from NFLN for a couple years to have Goff learn behind him?

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Nobody is saying he's going to sit for 8 games, 12 games or all season. At least I haven't heard that. So why all the angst? What, if we don't win the first 3 games we've blown our obviously good Superbowl chances? Losing has affected fans in a manner that they can't see past the present. It's all about Goff being the QB going forward into the future. If he's not ready, he has to sit. If we were desperate.....Shaun Hill or Austin Davis or Nick Foles under center, then I could see the rush. Keenum can direct the offense, though nobody is mistaking him for Dan Marino or Brett Favre. Can Goff direct the offense as of today?