I believe in Keenum! Too early to judge Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
It's a win-win situation for Fisher and the Rams. Keenum starting. Goff sitting.

1. If Keenum wins, why change?
2. If Keenum loses, put the kid in, he can't do worse and can only get seasoned earlier.
3. If Keenum is injured, it's a needed move and nobody can criticize starting CK over Goff to start the season off.
4. If Goff starts and they lose.....or worse he gets pummeled with regularity while losing.....he could develop Marc Bulger syndrome.

The bottom line is this: The Rams don't have to win in 2016. I (and we) want to win. Everybody wants Fisher to want to win. And he says "no 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 this year". They have to win once Goff is entrenched as the starter.
My exact stance. Said so about week ago.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a win-win situation for Fisher and the Rams. Keenum starting. Goff sitting.

I really have to disagree. It's a lose-lose.
1. Keenum wins but Goff comes in later and looks better - "Why didn't you play Goff earlier?"
2. Keenum loses but Goff comes in and looks good - "Why did you hurt our season by not playing Goff?"
3. Keenum wins and Goff spends the season on the bench - "Why did you give up all that for Goff?"
4. Keenum loses and Goff looks bad - "Why did you give up all that for Goff?"

No matter what he's losing unless Keenum plays outstanding football and makes people forget about Goff.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
1. Keenum wins but Goff comes in later and looks better - "Why didn't you play Goff earlier?"
2. Keenum loses but Goff comes in and looks good - "Why did you hurt our season by not playing Goff?"
3. Keenum wins and Goff spends the season on the bench - "Why did you give up all that for Goff?"

No matter what he's losing unless Keenum plays outstanding football and makes people forget about Goff.

Glass half-empty kind of guy I see. I prefer Goff to start but I'm going with what @PARAM said: It's win-win for me if the best Case (pun-intended) scenario happens

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'Mon Man! how can you say this ^^^ learning the play book, the audibles, reading defenses? Film room studies? practice field? If the coach thought he was ready I am sure he'd put him in. Be patient, it's going to happen.
It's very easy to say. Personally for me and a lot of people feel that you learn by doing not by watching. You can show me a video on how to properly butter toast. But until you get the toast butter and a knife in front of you you haven't really learned how to do it.

Now secondly that thinking on your part isn't honest. Do you think he's not going to get the same film study week in and week out as the starter? Hell the study will be better for him and more personalized as they'll be going over things he did! Sorry but you just reinforced my opinion that it's better for Goff to start right now.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame

jrry32 you and I both know that people will never forget about him.. Jared Thomas Goff is going to be a legendary Los Angeles Rams quarterback and the sooner he starts the quicker he will take ownership of this team.

Hopefully Fisher caves in and starts the kid before the month of September ends...

640x400-160827_RamsBroncos_Social_026.jpg

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
That's not caving, that would be starting him when Fisher believes he's ready.

I'm not entirely disputing your comment Riverum... I agree Goff isn't ready to start as of today 08/29/2016 but Fisher's ready might be when the Rams are for example 3-5 after 8 games... I'm hoping Fisher caves earlier than he wants to because I'm on board with the live bullets are much better for teaching than film study and clip board holding.

If Case K is barely average and the Rams are still winning, Fisher's observation of ready may be a lost season for Goff. If that makes any sense. If not than we agree to disagree.. No worries River.....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
If he starts him Week 1, does that mean Goff is ready?

As i've said a number of times, outside of a QB injury forcing the issue, Goff will start when Coach Fisher believes he is ready. If that happens to be Week 1, 2 or week 8, i'm good with the decision.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As i've said a number of times, outside of a QB injury forcing the issue, Goff will start when Coach Fisher believes he is ready. If that happens to be Week 1, 2 or week 8, i'm good with the decision.

That's circular logic.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Going in reverse order, #4 should get him fired.
#3 That's called planning for the future while winning now. Who can pizz and moan about that?
#2 Depends on how long he lets Keenum lose. 4 games into the season @1-3. If Goff looks good we should still be a playoff team. (Personally, I don't think the leash on Keenum is much longer than that).
#1 Keenum wins, Goff comes in later and looks better......a playoff spot. Who's going to pizz and moan about that?

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Then the trade should never had been made if Keenum is good enough to start and win . That's why us fans have no faith in Fisher . It's just hard to believe that Keenum can do better than the 7-9 that we're accustomed too.

I disagree. As much as I like Goff, the trade was made to improve the Team, not just now but for the future. This team is ready to compete now! I'm not willing to lose games with a rookie QB making mistakes.

A 7-9 QB you describe went into Seattle last year and helped guide the Rams to a win with some great plays. Case Keenum is the best driver of the Rams offense NOW....... If he falters and Goff has shown improvement, then the keys can be passed to Goff at that time.

Here is a question for everyone in general that wants Goff to start now : How many games are you willing to lose in 2016 with a rookie QB (Goff) learning on the job?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

1. If Keenum wins, why change?
2. If Keenum loses, put the kid in, he can't do worse and can only get seasoned earlier.
3. If Keenum is injured, it's a needed move and nobody can criticize starting CK over Goff to start the season off.
4. If Goff starts and they lose.....or worse he gets pummeled with regularity while losing.....he could develop Marc Bulger syndrome.

The bottom line is this: The Rams don't have to win in 2016. I (and we) want to win. Everybody wants Fisher to want to win. And he says "no 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 or 10-6 this year". They have to win once Goff is entrenched as the starter.
Going in reverse order, #4 should get him fired.
#3 That's called planning for the future while winning now. Who can pizz and moan about that?
#2 Depends on how long he lets Keenum lose. 4 games into the season @1-3. If Goff looks good we should still be a playoff team. (Personally, I don't think the leash on Keenum is much longer than that).
#1 Keenum wins, Goff comes in later and looks better......a playoff spot. Who's going to pizz and moan about that?

That's kind of the way I see it, now it's true I was one of the very first to advocate Goff over the other guy, that being said considering the offense he came from and the ensuing learning curve, I felt they weren't going to rush him

Luck, Winston... They came from more of a pro style offense in college, the dual
Threat guys? They always seem to shine earlier.

They will ride CK as long as they can this season, anything past 2-3 games under 500 my guess is the timeline will obviously be moved up

Memphis Ram

Legend

I find it hard to believe that anyone (with the possible exception of yourself I guess) would even care why Goff didn't play earlier if Keenum wins. In fact, in this example I'd assume that most would believe he may have looked better later partly because he wasn't rushed into action and got more time learning and watching Keenum.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not entirely disputing your comment Riverum... I agree Goff isn't ready to start as of today 08/29/2016 but Fisher's ready might be when the Rams are for example 3-5 after 8 games... I'm hoping Fisher caves earlier than he wants to because I'm on board with the live bullets are much better for teaching than film study and clip board holding.

If Case K is barely average and the Rams are still winning, Fisher's observation of ready may be a lost season for Goff. If that makes any sense. If not than we agree to disagree.. No worries River.....

Again, I don't believe Fisher and the word cave are appropriate, I mean really, who is he caving too ? A few fans with strong opinions ? I hope Fisher is better than that. Fisher likes his job, I don't think he'll let the season slip away with Goff on the bench if Keenum isn't getting the job done, so i'll be as surprised as anyone if we get to the BYE under .500 and Goff isn't in the game. Keenum was two wins out of two starts for Houston in 2014, he was 3 - 2 last season for the Rams, but most here believe had Gurley played in that final game of the season, Keenum would have finished 4 - 1. Keenum is not an automatic out, he has a few skills. Now, those skills aren't what Goff offers once he's prepared to start, but he can take the lumps and win while Goff gets completely, or as near as possible, up to speed. jmo.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Maybe its cuz I've always been a learn better while doing than while watching kind of guy, but I just dont get the whole sitting Goff til hes ready crap. No matter how long he sits hes going to have struggles in his first 5-10 games. Aaron Rodgers is widely considered one of, if not the best, qbs in the league and he sat for 3 years behind a 1st ballot HoFer, and even he struggled early.

In his 1st year as a starter not only did he have his worst statistical year, but he also had a stretch of 9 ints in 9 games, including 6 games in a row with at least 1 int. And thats with sitting 3 years behind a far superior QB than keenum, and playing in 7 games during those 3 years.

Point is, it takes time to adjust to the NFL as a QB, whether you start week 1 or sit behind a HoFer for 3 years. I say play the kid and let him get some real experience and work out the kinks early so come playoffs hes ready to kick some ass

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Here is a question for everyone in general that wants Goff to start now : How many games are you willing to lose in 2016 with a rookie QB (Goff) learning on the job?

I would not put myself in the start Goff at all cost group, however my answer is zero, I am willing to accept zero losses while he learns if Keenum is healthy and could have managed the game to a win. (Of course we'd never know for sure)