How is Cook still getting playing time???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fully admit I was wrong on Cook, but to say that Kendricks is an upgrade is just not true.

I wasn't trying to say Kendricks is an upgrade.

But it's generally agreed here that he is a more complete player.

That, and he is paid commensurate for his production.

Something that would be very hard to defend when it comes to Cook.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wasn't trying to say Kendricks is an upgrade.

But it's generally agreed here that he is a more complete player.

That, and he is paid commensurate for his production.

Something that would be very hard to defend when it comes to Cook.
I think they're both over paid and for what its worth, Kendricks cap hit is 5 mill this year and Cook 8 mill.
Like I said, to me its Rosie vs Roseanne

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The thing that is so surprising to me is that Cook really was doing well in camp.
I have to believe that he has had something affecting his play.

I'm cautiously optimistic that we see an improvement in his play after the bye.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook:
Contract: 5 yr(s) / $35,100,000 Signing Bonus $5,000,000 Average Salary$7,020,000 Guaranteed:$16,000,000 Free Agent:2018 / UFA

Kendricks:
Contract: 4 yr(s) / $18,500,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary$4,625,000 Guaranteed:$10,000,000 Free Agent:2019 / UFA

Not sure how your analogy might fit these numbers... but one is certainly uglier than the other... I'll leave it up to Rams fans to decide which is the ugliest.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
What does "Wtg" stand for, Rabid?
Rams43, you speak the truth. You were lambasted for your correct assessment of Cook. I agreed with you then and agree with you now. He needs to be benched.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me, I just don't see how any tight end is really going to be able to cause a mismatch unless he can least run block in play action, if not effectively pass block as well. Why? Because then the team has to decide if they should put a linebacker or safety on him. If he can't effectively run block against a safety or corner, and catch against a linebacker, then he'll really never be a mismatch.

So with Cook, we have an Ok receiver and a less than stellar blocker that we're paying 7 million a year for? It may well be some of the lowest hanging fruit come next year when they're looking to improve the team through personnel changes.

Find the seams they say, but if the defense is only giving us enough time for the quick underneath stuff, our receivers may never reach those seams between the zones, whether they be tight end or wide receiver.

I mean, with Austin and Gurley, maybe you do look at two blocking tight ends as you can easily motion either one of them as a receiver and get your mismatch that way.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some more comparisons…

Cook:
2013 started 13 games 51 recpts for 671 yards 5 TDs
2014 started 16 games 52 recpts for 634 yards 3 TDs

Kendricks:
2013 started 13 games 32 recpts for 258 yards 4 TDs
2014 started 14 games 27 recpts for 259 yards 5 TDs

I’ll make up a stat:
Cap dollars per TD

Cook:
2013: $800,000
2014: $2,032,892

Kendricks:
2013: $288,139
2014: $268,923

Again, not saying Kendricks is all world… but he hasn’t cost us much (even with his new contract). He has more TDs for close to half the price.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams43, you speak the truth. You were lambasted for your correct assessment of Cook. I agreed with you then and agree with you now. He needs to be benched.
Yeah... if you were not on board with Cook when they acquired him, your opinion tended to get washed out.

He still has potential and he could still become a player worthy of his contract... so, we'll see.

iced

Not quite sure how anyone thinks Kendricks isn't an upgrade over Cook. Its not hard to simply look at their strengths and skill sets. Kendricks may not have cooks "athletic" ability (while kendricks is still very athletic himself), however athleticism doesn't equate to anything if you give up on routes, drop balls, and can't or won't block.

Both have issues with their hands, but Kendricks is by far a better blocker, and quite frankly gives better effort imo. Both of them are notorious for their stone hands, but I'd rather have a guy that can be counted on to block vs a guy who can't/won't or is bad at it.

Kendricks has been a big part of run blocking, and if we plan to give the ball to Gurley a lot, Kendricks would seem to be the better fit offensively.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cook:
Contract: 5 yr(s) / $35,100,000 Signing Bonus $5,000,000 Average Salary$7,020,000 Guaranteed:$16,000,000 Free Agent:2018 / UFA

Kendricks:
Contract: 4 yr(s) / $18,500,000 Signing Bonus - Average Salary$4,625,000 Guaranteed:$10,000,000 Free Agent:2019 / UFA

Not sure how your analogy might fit these numbers... but one is certainly uglier than the other... I'll leave it up to Rams fans to decide which is the ugliest.

I said Cap Hit, which ultimately is what matters most, or what affects team most.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/lance-kendricks/
2015 Cap hit 5.6 mill
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/st.-louis-rams/jared-cook/
2015 Cap hit 8.3 mill

They arent being paid that drastically different.

Which of course isnt my point, I dont see why Kendricks is getting such a pass when his play has been poor.
His blocking has been awful and he's dropped his share

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks has been a big part of run blocking, and if we plan to give the ball to Gurley a lot, Kendricks would seem to be the better fit offensively.
I dont know where this comes from. If you watch the 2nd half of the Packers game it is actually Cook who is making some key blocks for Gurley, not Kendricks

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think they're both over paid and for what its worth, Kendricks cap hit is 5 mill this year and Cook 8 mill.
Like I said, to me its Rosie vs Roseanne

Dang, I don't think there's enough tequila in the world. :eek:

iced

I dont know where this comes from. If you watch the 2nd half of the Packers game it is actually Cook who is making some key blocks for Gurley, not Kendricks

Disagree

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap3000000554311/Rams-Todd-Gurley-with-55-yard-run

^ Kendricks seals the back end, Cooks isn't even on the field.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap3000000554950/Todd-Gurley-highlights

1st play - Kendricks gets the key block from the FB position that allows Gurley to get some yardage, Cook not on the field.
2nd play - the big run, already touched on it
3rd play - Kendricks once again with a good lead block, Cook off the field
4th play - Cooks running a half assed route into flat, not blocking.

View: http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap3000000549940/Todd-Gurley-highlights

1st play - screen to gurley
2nd play - Kendricks Seals off the edge allowing gurley to burst open for a good gain, Cook just runs a route to the outside
3rd play - Cooks off the field, Harkey and Kendricks blocking. Kendricks blocks his guy as gurley cuts back
4th play - Cooks throws his shoulder at a guy while Gurley runs the opposite way. This big run was set up by barnes and browns blocks, but we've seen this one covered plenty of times.
5th play - Kendricks in running a route away from the play, cook off the field. Great blocking by Tavon for this run
6th play - Cook from the FB position, doesn't really "Block" anyone, the fake to austin and the traffic/clutter has more of an impact on the play than cook did.

Gotta disagree with ya man - I see Kendricks being a lot more effective in the running game than Cook ever is, and rarely have they used him to block (which i think should speak volumes). If you look at these 10 plays - they really only asked him to block twice for gurley, and definitely prefer kendricks blocking to cook.

Not sure where you've seen Cook look good blocking