How is Cook still getting playing time???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Cook has regressed. For all the criticism the past few seasons, he would still come up with catches and provide a big play or two. He's not doing much of anything positive this year. Hopefully he turns it around soon. I'm cautiously optimistic he will. Cook went from a frustrating yet useful "he is what is" player to a huge liability, with seemingly no explanation.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I hope one change that's made while we're on a bye is that we just make Cook inactive. Let's go into the games with Kendricks and Harkey, and screw Cook.

We're watching the game yesterday, and my brother, my dad and I all were cursing Cook.....for the 3rd straight game. My fiancée says "why does he still play? You guys seem to really not like him..."

What an astute observation - why the HELL is this guy still playing? I typically don't criticize coaches, but I can't get this one. The ONLY possible explanation was that he is Foles favorite guy. I really hope they just bench him going forward. On 3rd and longs, let's get Tavon, Quick, Stedman, Britt and Benny on the field - that would be our best possible "sure passing situation" combo. On 1st and 2nd downs, have either Kendricks or Harkey or both.

Coach...please please please bench or deactivate this guy.

Cook is the reason for the pick six, he stopped his route. He dropped must catch throws right to him. He actually dropped his one good catch and had to pin it to his stomach.

Please...don't get me started. :mad:

I don't hate the guy, chatted with him in TC and he was as cool and humble as can be. Called me sir and thanked me. I've been a supporter of him because of what he was doing in TC and thinking he just needed a QB.:icare:

I would Pead him right now. Trading block for a left tackle. Move Robinson to guard. No hesitation.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I would Pead him right now. Trading block for a left tackle. Move Robinson to guard. No hesitation.

O-line talent is at a premium right now around the league. Nobody is giving us a starting calibre LT for Jared Cook. And that is even if he if he is playing to his level from the past two seasons. With how he is playing right now? Many teams would not even take him for free given his cap hit.

We're stuck with him. All we can do is try to figure out how to make him in a viable weapon. Albeit an inconsistent one.

RamzFanz

Damnit
O-line talent is at a premium right now around the league. Nobody is giving us a starting calibre LT for Jared Cook. And that is even if he if he is playing to his level from the past two seasons. With how he is playing right now? Many teams would not even take him for free given his cap hit.

We're stuck with him. All we can do is try to figure out how to make him in a viable weapon. Albeit an inconsistent one.

OK, Cook, a ham sandwich, and 3 draft picks.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
OK, Cook, a ham sandwich, and 3 draft picks.

giphy.gif

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Exactly. Just don't throw to him on 3rd down. Nothing good has happened this season throwing to him in 3rd down.

RAMBUSH

Starter
Know what's kinda funny?

Previously, I had suggested that Fisher sit Cook for a series, or two.

Just to send a message and make a statement to the rest of the team.

And I got lambasted for my trouble.

I still think it would be a good move. I mean, what would we be losing, exactly?

More like Rambasted ! Ha Ha!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cook is the reason for the pick six, he stopped his route. He dropped must catch throws right to him. He actually dropped his one good catch and had to pin it to his stomach.

Please...don't get me started. :mad:

I don't hate the guy, chatted with him in TC and he was as cool and humble as can be. Called me sir and thanked me. I've been a supporter of him because of what he was doing in TC and thinking he just needed a QB.:icare:

I'm with you...but I did listen to Fisher's press conference from yesterday and he said it was not Cook's fault - he said Cook did the right thing by sitting down in the zone.

After cooling down a bit, Cook didn't play too bad in this game...the others though....

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Have to believe that Coach plays Cook because he's his guy and he cost so much! Not saying it's a double standard but Pead is gone because it didn't cost to release him! No guaranteed contract anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I watched the last game real time, haven't gone back and re watched it and I probably won't unless I need help loosening my stomach to take a dump:headexplosion:

From what I saw though, he was blocking fairly well this game. I know for a fact he sealed the edge on a couple of plays where the RB or WR wouldn't have gone anywhere if he wasn't there doing his job.
The guy isn't playing up to his contract, but we can say that about a lot of guys on the offense. For all of Kendrick' strengths he hasn't exactly had sure hands this season either.

We just have to keep working on it. It's like the offensive line - everyone is ready to scrap it but WTF were we really expecting out of this line. Two rooks, a center in his first starting role, a second year guy who is still raw and an oft injured guy who is supposed to be our vet leadership.

We just gotta roll with what we have fellas, no miracles walking in the doors. Man up and execute like the other 31 teams.
I'm not talking about getting rid of Cook. I'm saying sit him and Britt both to send a message to them and the entire team that we need full effort.

I think these guys are plenty capable but are not working hard to win plays. There is no way that the DB caused Cook's initial drop - at least no way it should have. Cook needs to win those plays and come down with it. He was bobbling that ball before the defender got a hand in. He high pointed it and got both hands on the ball. Just no excuse for not coming down with that ball. I could see if he really got popped or if the defender made a really strong move in there - but none of that happened. Sorry but so what if there is a defender there. Most of the time there will be. The problem is that he didn't give the effort to win that play. Much like Britt is looking lethargic out there on most of his routes. They simply don't appear to be working hard enough to win the play. Others are at least working hard or at least that is my impression from watching the team play.

I hate calling out players but it just seems very obvious to me. I am not blaming Cook for the loss but I'm not seeing him helping to win games with his play.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Have to believe that Coach plays Cook because he's his guy and he cost so much! Not saying it's a double standard but Pead is gone because it didn't cost to release him! No guaranteed contract anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't personally buy into that. I think a coach looks at match-ups, ability, skill, all kinds of things when deciding who to play. I just don't buy that he gives two craps about how much they are paying a certain player or where they drafted him. Why would Benny be getting more playing time than Tre now that he is healthy? Simple fact is that Cook SHOULD be a match-up nightmare. He's just not living up to that right now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just find it peculiar that Fisher says that if Pead made any more mistakes, it was his own fault. Why doesn't the same logic apply to Cook?
If he wasn't one of Fishers Titans I feel like he would have already lost his job but due to the contract he signed and being one of Fishers favorites his job security probably isn't even in question.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Didn't like the signing at all that offseason, paid big money for a ex-titan that never did anything much. I've probably said this a million times - he had identical stats to Kendricks his last year in TEN vs Kendricks last TE1 year in STL. Made no sense to me paying him that much money.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Didn't like the signing at all that offseason, paid big money for a ex-titan that never did anything much. I've probably said this a million times - he had identical stats to Kendricks his last year in TEN vs Kendricks last TE1 year in STL. Made no sense to me paying him that much money.
I'd agree but when I watched Locker throwing the ball, I rationalized that the reason was that Locker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (which he couldn't). I have to wonder if the real reason was the effort I personally think I see now with Cook. Some guys are all talent and little effort.

Irish

Starter
The only way Foles and the O line are responsible for Cook's drops and lazy route running and perceived apathy is if on every route Greg Robinson is riding piggy back style on his back while Jamon Brown and Nick Foles take turns punching him in the junk through his routes.

Some guys look the part, and some guys are the part. Its pretty obvious which one Jared Cook falls into.

maximus

Rookie
The offense would look better with a reliable TE. Watching Eiffert killing the SeaHags, man what a difference. A TE like that is a must

Debacled

Starter
My biggest issue, well two of them actually, are his effort on plays that don't come to him quick enough and his hands this year.

The guy is playing like he has oven mits on. Being as big as he is he shouldn't be dropping or not coming up with so many contested balls. He has a 41 inch vert, he is tall as all get out. USE IT.

If we re-watch the game, and most of the receivers are guilty of this, it seems they have a clock running into their head and if the ball isn't heading their way quick they just kinda jog it out. Not sitting in a zone type playing, literally letting off the gas and watching. Heaven forbid someone break a play and need downfield blockers, because they won't be in gear.