How is Cook still getting playing time???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
52dyqr.jpg

FRO

Legend
We have one above average offensive player and that's our RB. There is no need to have a TE out there who can't block and isn't that great in the passing game outside of a game or two a year. Better off putting Kendricks and Harkey out there.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone know why he stopped his route on the Pick 6 Foles threw? I can't help but think that just would have been an incomplete pass otherwise.

not sure but what i'd like to know is why foles threw it to him in the first place. he was way short of 1st down, i think it was a 3rd down play, there were 3 packers defenders bearing down on him. why not just throw it into the ground near him? that int was more on foles than cook. if foles was smarter about it cook stopping wouldn't have come into play.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Know what's kinda funny?

Previously, I had suggested that Fisher sit Cook for a series, or two.

Just to send a message and make a statement to the rest of the team.

And I got lambasted for my trouble.

I still think it would be a good move. I mean, what would we be losing, exactly?
Awesome you can toot your own horn Wtg. People didn't lambast you they disagreed with your line of thinking which is their right.

TexasRam

Legend
Cook is horrible. Can't run block can't pass block, not that he even tries.

Drops key balls. Runs short of the 1st down marker constantly, not that it matters since he can't catch.

Bonehead penalties.

Seriously I was done with him 2 weeks ago and have to watch this horror flick every week kill the offense.

He is the poster child for the rams offense. Get him out.

TexasRam

Legend
Cook is not a football player. That is the problem.

It's like trying to fit a peg in a square hole. It just don't work.

Requirement for a football player:

Toughness
Passion
Attitude
Football IQ
Hard worker

Cook doesn't meet the requirements of a football player.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
Right now the receiver store shelves are empty...One more guaranteed season for Cook and then if there is no improvement cut him loose. He does get open from time to time. I think if the O-Line could pass block we would all be loving on Cook and Foles today; and the Rams would be 4-1. :thinking:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

This made me chuckle because while this dude is pretty jacked up he has NO idea how to throw a punch and if he actually hit someone in the head he could end up breaking his own wrist.

If he got into a fight and did what he is doing in this avi he'd get knocked out.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Cook is not a football player. That is the problem.

What was/is the job he was hired to do. It was not and never be blocking. He was brought here for the seam routes & out running LBs and safeties. Foles does not throw those well because of his piss poor footwork. Have you seen a seam routes this year? NO!!!
am routes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How many drives have stalled due to him dropping a pass, missing a block, getting a bonehead penalty, etc? I'm not sure there's a net positive with him in the lineup....not in most games anymore at least.
Sounds like an excellent analytic-type stat to be sure....
I don't believe Cook is holding this offense back...He does seem to be part of the collective problems however....

V3

Hall of Fame
Sounds like an excellent analytic-type stat to be sure....
I don't believe Cook is holding this offense back...He does seem to be part of the collective problems however....
I don't think he's the only issue. I'd say the biggest issue is the O-line. Then comes the WRs/TEs not getting separation, drops, missing blocks, etc.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I watched the last game real time, haven't gone back and re watched it and I probably won't unless I need help loosening my stomach to take a dump:headexplosion:

From what I saw though, he was blocking fairly well this game. I know for a fact he sealed the edge on a couple of plays where the RB or WR wouldn't have gone anywhere if he wasn't there doing his job.
The guy isn't playing up to his contract, but we can say that about a lot of guys on the offense. For all of Kendrick' strengths he hasn't exactly had sure hands this season either.

We just have to keep working on it. It's like the offensive line - everyone is ready to scrap it but WTF were we really expecting out of this line. Two rooks, a center in his first starting role, a second year guy who is still raw and an oft injured guy who is supposed to be our vet leadership.

We just gotta roll with what we have fellas, no miracles walking in the doors. Man up and execute like the other 31 teams.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Just watched the condensed version on NFl.com.

Cook had no drops (only two drops were by Britt in the first half and Quick in the second half). The 5 targets to Cook were 1) contested ball on 3rd down where the DB made a good play, 2) a screen play with Foles under pressure threw the ball behind him & into the ground 3) the pick six ball were it appeared to me that Cook was trying to the right thing and squat on the crossing route due to zone coverage 4) the PI penalty and 5) the 3rd down catch he made right after the Quick drop. He also had some good blocks on a couple of Gurley's big runs.

You may want to watch again. The first pass, your giving credit to the DB? The DB had nothing to do with the incomplete pass. It hit Cook right in the hands and he straight DROPPED it. The DB didn't get a hand on the ball, or on cooks hands. No excuse. And the pick 6, that if Cook finished his route, at worst would have been incomplete. He was leading Foles and Foles put the ball where he anticipated Cook was going to be. Where he SHOULD have been. But his lazy ass, decided to stop, and watch the pick 6 happen. And many times, he gave up on a block way too early when a big play was in sight. The guy is lazy, and selfish.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Some stats.

Jared Cook has a 60% catch percentage, good for 44th (a tie) of 62 TEs who've played 25% or more of their team's snaps. His 4 dropped passes puts him in sole possession of first place in that category (4 others with 3). As big and athletic as Cook measurably is (combine 4.5 40, 23 rep bench, 41 inch vertical, 123 in broad...!!!!!), it's dumbfounding that he doesn't come down with more 50/50 balls. As a previous poster mentioned, it seems like he never catches a ball when the defender is near him. I don't ever remember saying: "wow, I can't believe Cook came up with that catch, the defender was all over him". That's the frustrating most thing.

Cook's pass blocking is mostly a non-issue because he never pass blocks. The bad part about that, nobody will ever be fooled into thinking he's lined up in-line because he'll be pass blocking and then sneak out, like Harkey and Kendricks do.

Re: run blocking, I was a little surprised by PFF rankings, which had him as the 14th best run blocking TE of those 62.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Also on another drop he wasn't even looking at the QB as the ball was being delivered.

Not a good blocker, not physical, bad hands. Exactly what are his strengths?

He's not got bad hands. He has the odd concentration drop that comes at the wrong time and lets everyone pile on him. His strengths are his height, weight speed combo that make him a nightmare to cover, and a good catch radius. He's not playing well and I understand why people have had enough of him.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
You may want to watch again. The first pass, your giving credit to the DB? The DB had nothing to do with the incomplete pass. It hit Cook right in the hands and he straight DROPPED it. The DB didn't get a hand on the ball, or on cooks hands. No excuse. And the pick 6, that if Cook finished his route, at worst would have been incomplete. He was leading Foles and Foles put the ball where he anticipated Cook was going to be. Where he SHOULD have been. But his lazy ass, decided to stop, and watch the pick 6 happen. And many times, he gave up on a block way too early when a big play was in sight. The guy is lazy, and selfish.

My opinion... your dreaming. That was a late bad pass.

Re: run blocking, I was a little surprised by PFF rankings, which had him as the 14th best run blocking TE of those 62.

Like I said earlier he has been blocking way better than we give him credit for A receiving TE that is better than the top 60% in blocking. RARE.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion... your dreaming. That was a late bad pass.

Like I said earlier he has been blocking way better than we give him credit for A receiving TE that is better than the top 60% in blocking. RARE.

I know. Too bad he isn't receiving much these days.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

No. If you listen to Fisher's Presser the next day, he said that Cook was supposed to sit down in that zone. That was the play that Roger sustained his shoulder injury. Datone Jones split the double and got pressure, Foles couldn't step into the throw and rather than take the sack tried to throw around the pressure and made a poor throw.

THAT one was on Foles. It looked upon first look totally to be on Cook. I sure took it to be that way. But Fish was clear that Cook was supposed to sit in that zone. Now, one could argue that Cook's definition of "sitting in a zone" needs to be redefined because sitting in triple coverage isn't exactly the best way to get open in zone coverage. That said, it was what it was. The play just happened as it happened and Cook actually ran it as designed. If you believe Fish. I do because if he's lying, he throwing his QB under the bus for no reason and no way I see him doing that.