How is Cook still getting playing time???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he has had 169 yards receiving this year. at this rate he will end up with 541 yards for the year. yuck.

worse, his last 3 weeks he has caught 5 out of 15 targets for 37 yards. those are abominable stats.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

he has had 169 yards receiving this year. at this rate he will end up with 541 yards for the year. yuck.

worse, his last 3 weeks he has caught 5 out of 15 targets for 37 yards. those are abominable stats.

Pretty sure there is not a guy on this team projecting well in our passing game; QB, WR, RB, or TE.

None.

Let's see how that changes as the season plays out.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pretty sure there is not a guy on this team projecting well in our passing game; QB, WR, RB, or TE.

None.

Let's see how that changes as the season plays out.

i doubt that they will be worse than this. let's just say the stats back up what our eyes can see.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I think I said that! I also said that Cook's here because of the contract, he's not producing and neither was Pead! If Pead was a scapegoat to stir the team up, it didn't work on Cook! Dumb contract move and I hope they don't do those guarantees anymore! Not my money, it is my team to bitch about!

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I'd agree but when I watched Locker throwing the ball, I rationalized that the reason was that Locker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (which he couldn't). I have to wonder if the real reason was the effort I personally think I see now with Cook. Some guys are all talent and little effort.

Hahaha thats true, Locker was terrible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Well that's also the 2nd highest total on the team, and 2nd highest catch total

Im fine with with sitting Cook but people lose me when they suggest Kendricks is a better alternative. He is deplorable in pass pro and has had his drop issues.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I'm not talking about getting rid of Cook. I'm saying sit him and Britt both to send a message to them and the entire team that we need full effort.

I think these guys are plenty capable but are not working hard to win plays. There is no way that the DB caused Cook's initial drop - at least no way it should have. Cook needs to win those plays and come down with it. He was bobbling that ball before the defender got a hand in. He high pointed it and got both hands on the ball. Just no excuse for not coming down with that ball. I could see if he really got popped or if the defender made a really strong move in there - but none of that happened. Sorry but so what if there is a defender there. Most of the time there will be. The problem is that he didn't give the effort to win that play. Much like Britt is looking lethargic out there on most of his routes. They simply don't appear to be working hard enough to win the play. Others are at least working hard or at least that is my impression from watching the team play.

I hate calling out players but it just seems very obvious to me. I am not blaming Cook for the loss but I'm not seeing him helping to win games with his play.
I think Britt is playing hurt, I see your point on Cooks effort on his catches, but his blocking has been better I think.

I doubt Fish sits him either way though

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Well, we got Cook until the end of this year. He could easily be cut next year. I wouldn't mind to see one of our second round picks go to a complete TE that particularly excells in blocking. There is lots of time for him to earn that money, though. The short comings of the offense are wide spread.

Kendricks is being being paid what he's worth far as I'm concerned.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Does anyone know why he stopped his route on the Pick 6 Foles threw? I can't help but think that just would have been an incomplete pass otherwise.

I thought that initially too. When you watch it in slow motion, he is looking around for the hole in the zone and he sits there, that's why I think he stopped. Who knows what Foles was thinking but he was probably thinking that Cook would continue running............ mis-communication.
Believe me, I'm not standing up for Cook, I don't think he belongs on the field. I was re-watching that play because I thought it was Cook's fault. I ended up (in my own mind) excusing him from the blame.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well that's also the 2nd highest total on the team, and 2nd highest catch total

Im fine with with sitting Cook but people lose me when they suggest Kendricks is a better alternative. He is deplorable in pass pro and has had his drop issues.

Cook has the same sort of drops issues and I shudder to think of him in pass pro. Not sure why you'd put Kendricks or Cook in pass pro anyways.

Is Kendricks a better alternative? Personally, I say yes. Not because he's a world beater but because you know the sort of effort he'll give you from down to down.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Cook has the same sort of drops issues and I shudder to think of him in pass pro. Not sure why you'd put Kendricks or Cook in pass pro anyways.

Is Kendricks a better alternative? Personally, I say yes. Not because he's a world beater but because you know the sort of effort he'll give you from down to down.

That bit right there is what I like to see from players - at least look like you want to be playing :boxing:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
At this point I would consider a change at starting TE. The issue is Lance Kendricks has been MIA thus far too. Harkey is key to the running game but we do know that when given the opportunity Cory will give a much better effort. They could look towards getting Justice Cunningham a call up to perform some of the heavy lifting of Harkeys role in run blocking. Then use Harkey and Kendricks in place of the present starting Ram TE who's performance thus far this season has been A sorry lump of :poop:.

What I have seen from Cook I could care less if I See him on the field again.:unsure:(n)

Last edited by a moderator:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

Cook is a $2M talent with $4M more in potential upside. Yep.

That's the problem with this entire offense. 2/3rds of the starters are potential instead of production. The playoff window has been wide open the last two years with Cardinals QB injuries, 9ers overall suckiness, and the Seasuckers struggles this year. And we still have to hear about patience and potential. Right now I'd be willing to start 3 wideouts with Harkey as a FB/TE hybrid. I think we could run just as well, and certainly pass better.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kendricks is being being paid what he's worth far as I'm concerned.
I agree.

A more complete TE who is more reliable and paid far less than Cook.

Sure, he'll drop a pass or two... but I believe he's had far more crucial catches than the highly paid Cook has... doesn't take plays off and can actually block.

Didn't he catch a crucial ball against Seattle? ;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Watch the all 22 of run blocking and tell me who is better. Cook made some big blocks for Gurley
I was pumped for Cook and have been supporting the guy. This year he has been awful no doubt, but it boggles my mind that folks are pointing to Kendricks as an upgrade. He has gotten worse each year he's been here

Heck, sign Bayer off of San Diego practice squad and pair him with Harkey. That would be an upgrade.

Deciding who is better between Cook and Kendricks is like deciding who is hotter, Rosanne Barr or Rosie O'Donnell

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has gotten worse each year he's been here
Without Kendricks, the Rams are likely 1-4... possibly worse since losing that game could have thrown them into a downward spiral.
Cook probably would have dropped that pass. :LOL:

Kendricks has made a lot of crucial catches... Cook? Lots of crucial drops.

If you're just looking at stats, yeah... Cook looks better.
If you're actually watching games, you know who's been more clutch.

With 53 seconds left, the Rams tied the game at 31 after Seahawks defensive back Dion Bailey -- the replacement for holdout Kam Chancellor -- stumbled on Lance Kendricks' 37-yard touchdown catch.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400791550

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without Kendricks, the Rams are likely 1-4... possibly worse since losing that game could have thrown them into a downward spiral.
Cook probably would have dropped that pass. :LOL:

Kendricks has made a lot of crucial catches... Cook? Lots of crucial drops.

If you're just looking at stats, yeah... Cook looks better.
If you're actually watching games, you know who's been more clutch.

With 53 seconds left, the Rams tied the game at 31 after Seahawks defensive back Dion Bailey -- the replacement for holdout Kam Chancellor -- stumbled on Lance Kendricks' 37-yard touchdown catch.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=400791550
Couldnt disagree more.
Cook has sucked this year, but his upside is much higher.
Kendricks has had his share of drops too, but for some reason, all is forgiven.
And that quote is classic btw, "after Seahawks defensive back Dion Bailey -- the replacement for holdout Kam Chancellor -- stumbled on Lance Kendricks' 37-yard touchdown catch". Kendricks is often left alone, because hes not a threat.
He cant block for crap either.
I fully admit I was wrong on Cook, but to say that Kendricks is an upgrade is just not true.
At all.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that it is entirely possible that our '16 starting TE is not yet on this roster.

He might be currently playing on Saturdays.

Reportedly a bumper crop of TE's in this next draft.

I think Cook has just 11 games remaining to impress the hell out of his coaches and shut up his many critics.

Or else...