How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams will have 3 RB's involved in March's FA'cy. Sony Michel is sure trending towards NOT being a Ram due to very lean salary cap funds. FA Raymond Calais is injury prone & so is Buddy Howell.

Rams will have Two former starters returning Cam Akers (3rd season) & Darrell Henderson (4th season) both having major injury concerns :crying:attached to them. Another returning injured RB is Xavier Jones who tore his Achilles in his left ankle that required surgery.

The only other RB is 7th rd selection in 2021 Jake Funk. Jake Funk tore his hamstring in the Giants game & needed surgery. Since his return, he has been limited to just being active for 10 gms with only two rushes. He has been seen often on the injury lists since his return late this season.

Snead will have plenty of openings on his Training Camp Roster & is sure to be fully aware of what occurred to his RB room extremely early this season. Don't kid yourself it was in pitiful condition until he was forced to trade two draft selection assets to BB in New England for a RB who's NFL history was injury-riddled, damaged knee cartilage going back to high school & again in college. Sony was also known for having poor receiving skills along with being rather slow. But Sony always delivers on the field!

Appears to be the Rams just might want to seriously think long & hard about their RB situation & the not very sound & healthy RB cadre. I would find a way to keep Sony Michel until this RB room is not meeting in the rehab center or the training room with the dozen physical therapist working them over.:injury:

I'd like to trade Henderson for a draft pick, take his $1M in CAP savings and apply it towards whatever the Michel contract requires & draft another RB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I understand that for our 2022 CAP and the $208M overall amount. I also understand that the CAP should normalize somewhat going forward as increased profits are realized, seats are filled and ticket prices rise, that explains the likely yearly rise of $10M, but this still doesn't take into account those single year aberrations where TV network money is renegotiated and added to the bottom line, ... and aren't the new 4 network and Amazon Prime MNF contracts supposed to go into effect for 2023 ?
Yes, but the NFLPA also has significant back pay that will offset that in benefits/bonuses etc. It was just discussed on one of the pre-games, I did a brief search and cant find any new articles, most are dated prior to the cap announcement back in December

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like to trade Henderson for a draft pick, take his $1M in CAP savings and apply it towards whatever the Michel contract requires & draft another RB.
Again, like TE, we are lock step here. I think Sony was a stud but conveniently did enough to show we should keep him, but not enough for a team to want to break the bank on signing him. With Akers on his rookie deal a couple more years, throwing 5 mill at Sony is chump change for the RB room.
Maybe a team like Tennessee would throw a late round pick our way, he's a hometown kid, good change of pace for Henry

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seems a bit like picking Nits. I kept hearing about how good McVay and his staff is at developing talent. I guess that’s not true. But whatever. It’s not worth arguing about.
I feel like you're trying to create an argument and Im not sure why. What's the point of this strawman? Whoever said McVay and staff arent good at developing talent? Surely not me
Weird...
What I did say is that McVay doesnt bring guys to the team and have them learn from the bench. Nope. They play right away. Hopkins hasnt even gotten his uniform dirty in 2 seasons. Does not fit the McVay model one bit

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I feel like you're trying to create an argument and Im not sure why. What's the point of this strawman? Whoever said McVay and staff arent good at developing talent? Surely not me
Weird...
What I did say is that McVay doesnt bring guys to the team and have them learn from the bench. Nope. They play right away. Hopkins hasnt even gotten his uniform dirty in 2 seasons. Does not fit the McVay model one bit
There have been guys that don’t play in year one or two only to contribute later. And yes practice squad members and special teams players count because they are not starters on offense and defense. You are the one arguing that they play people right away. They do sometimes but developing later round picks is integral to the way they have traded draft picks for stars and filled in with late round picks and udfas.

Of course if a guy is ready immediately then he plays, but why wouldn’t you count UDFAs in that formula or guys that start on special teams.

I don’t get your point. They develop talent. Some guys learn on the job and others spend time on the bench and play special teams.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There have been guys that don’t play in year one or two only to contribute later
Not under McVay's watch, and not on offense. SJD red-shirted his rookie year. That's it. And he then went on to start every game from his 2nd season on, until he tore his pec this year.
Practice squad players are irrelevant to this discussion. They are flyers. Hopkins was a 4th round pick, which in Rams terms is a top draft pick. There's no comparison of a drafted player compared to the many UDFA who float around on Practice squads. Heck, that's where Hopkins belongs.
But saying that Hopkins is following the model of a McVay drafted player is an out and out mistruth. He's caught 1 pass in 2 years, and hasnt missed a minute due to injury. Forget starting, he only has dressed for 10 of 33 reg season games. And in those 10 games, only 5 games has he even taken snaps on offense.
There isnt a player even remotely close to that lack of playing time. And considering the Rams are down to their 4th TE, (he being 5th) its not like he was road blocked for PT
He's the outlier of all outliers

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'd personally trade Hopkins for a conditional seventh, if we can even get that. Hopkins is a pick I never understood (even Atwell is understandable to an extent.), and he's proven he's softer than a baby sea otter's ass.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, his $1M in savings will go towards the guy replacing him on the roster. Even a rookie will take up about $700K of that $1M... So reality is he doesn't save much because someone has to replace his roster spot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, his $1M in savings will go towards the guy replacing him on the roster. Even a rookie will take up about $700K of that $1M... So reality is he doesn't save much because someone has to replace his roster spot.

While that's true, I'll take what I can get and try to use the draft pick we receive wisely.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
While that's true, I'll take what I can get and try to use the draft pick we receive wisely.
True, I just wonder if he has much value?

One guy that could get traded IF they re-sign Miller, is Lewis.

A team might take a flyer on him based on upside. Maybe you don't get more than a 5th rounder, but might be worth it because if Miller sticks around on a two yr deal, that will bury Lewis and you still are developing Garrett.

Maybe Holmes would have interest?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
True, I just wonder if he has much value?

One guy that could get traded IF they re-sign Miller, is Lewis.

A team might take a flyer on him based on upside. Maybe you don't get more than a 5th rounder, but might be worth it because if Miller sticks around on a two yr deal, that will bury Lewis and you still are developing Garrett.

Maybe Holmes would have interest?

I still have hope for Lewis as a rotational player, and replacing both OBO & Lewis would require more resources than I fear we currently have.
If I had to guess, Hollins, Lewis & Garrett will become our primary rotation backing Von Miller & Floyd outside, ... with Howard, Earnest Jones, Reeder & a draft pick inside.
jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not under McVay's watch, and not on offense. SJD red-shirted his rookie year. That's it. And he then went on to start every game from his 2nd season on, until he tore his pec this year.
Practice squad players are irrelevant to this discussion. They are flyers. Hopkins was a 4th round pick, which in Rams terms is a top draft pick. There's no comparison of a drafted player compared to the many UDFA who float around on Practice squads. Heck, that's where Hopkins belongs.
But saying that Hopkins is following the model of a McVay drafted player is an out and out mistruth. He's caught 1 pass in 2 years, and hasnt missed a minute due to injury. Forget starting, he only has dressed for 10 of 33 reg season games. And in those 10 games, only 5 games has he even taken snaps on offense.
There isnt a player even remotely close to that lack of playing time. And considering the Rams are down to their 4th TE, (he being 5th) its not like he was road blocked for PT
He's the outlier of all outliers
I've said all along that I agree Hopkins sucks.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
True that but at least you would get rid of a proven always broken non healthy RB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
In regards to OBJ, o did see an article I think on CBS sports, where they feel he could get 15M a yr on the open market.

So if so then maybe he doesn't stay, but at least we get a high pick.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
In regards to OBJ, o did see an article I think on CBS sports, where they feel he could get 15M a yr on the open market.

So if so then maybe he doesn't stay, but at least we get a high pick.
do we get comp picks if he signs a big contract? I thought he needed to be here the whole season to count?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
do we get comp picks if he signs a big contract? I thought he needed to be here the whole season to count?
Not sure, but I believe so unless it has changed. I know Vonn Miller only qualifies for 5th rounder because he is a 10 yr vet, but they did say they would get a pick for him if he leaves. That was mentioned by the talking heads at the time of the trade.

When we traded for Fowler it was considered a good move because had he not re-signed they would get a comp pick.

So I assume we will, and I don't think its limited like the Miller pick since he isn't a 10 yr vet.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Not sure, but I believe so unless it has changed. I know Vonn Miller only qualifies for 5th rounder because he is a 10 yr vet, but they did say they would get a pick for him if he leaves. That was mentioned by the talking heads at the time of the trade.

When we traded for Fowler it was considered a good move because had he not re-signed they would get a comp pick.

So I assume we will, and I don't think its limited like the Miller pick since he isn't a 10 yr vet.
Hope we can keep him but if not a comp pick is good too

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hope we can keep him but if not a comp pick is good too

Market Value​

• 2 yrs, $21.3 mil
  • Avg. Salary: $10.7mil

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Miller's a 10-year-vet. If he leaves, the best the Rams could get is a 5th round comp pick in the 170s.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Miller's a 10-year-vet. If he leaves, the best the Rams could get is a 5th round comp pick in the 170s.
Yes but Snead can turn that into fifteen round 6 picks so...