How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What history of patience in developing guys? They play their rooks right away, especially those on the offense side of the ball. 0 offensive snaps in 2 years isnt developing, its just taking up space.
Nick Scott, Bobby Brown, Ernest Jones, Ernest Brown, Kendall Blanton....but I agree with you about Hopkins
Interesting stuff here from Keyshawn this morning. He says he talks to OBJ pretty frequently and OBJ wants to stay in LA. Hints at taking less money as well.

View: https://youtu.be/9qZkeXq-sXU

Odell would be a prime target for endorsement deals. He's a big name with young people. He'd make up the lost money easier there than in many other cities. Plus if he's low on cash one of his rich friends like LeBron could help out I'm sure:p

MachS

Hall of Fame
Odell would be a prime target for endorsement deals. He's a big name with young people. He'd make up the lost money easier there than in many other cities. Plus if he's low on cash one of his rich friends like LeBron could help out I'm sure:p
Yea for sure man this has to be a factor in his decision. He'll make a shit load on endorsements. I think it will really help to resign Von as well and keep them together since they're so close. We've worked some crazy cap magic the last few years but this off-season will be interesting no doubt.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yea for sure man this has to be a factor in his decision. He'll make a shit load on endorsements. I think it will really help to resign Von as well and keep them together since they're so close. We've worked some crazy cap magic the last few years but this off-season will be interesting no doubt.
I've been saying the Rams need to draft DBs, but if we see some Online men go via FA we may see one of the taken early. They have a center and Tackle in reserve but I'm not convinced about guard.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The Rams have several guys they may want to re-sign, but none are more important than Von Miller, OBj & Noteboom. While in 2022 we face a tight CAP, 2023 will be a far different story with all the network money pouring in with the new TV contracts, that as well as Amazon likely forking out a fortune for ESPN's Monday Night Football.
Long term contracts to any of our players will cut the Rams 2022 CAP hit while pushing the bigger hits down the road to when the NFL overall CAP has grown exponentially, so I'm not seeing any real desperation in re-signing the big 3. It's those 2'nd level guys like Allen & Corbett that could hurt us if they hold out for more than their worth, and being that these guys start on the same unit, they have some leverage since our interior OL depth isn't great, although Coleman Shelton does offer a small buffer. The Rams should be able to manipulate the CAP in their favor one way or another as Demoff has proven his value over the years.
jmo.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I've been saying the Rams need to draft DBs, but if we see some Online men go via FA we may see one of the taken early. They have a center and Tackle in reserve but I'm not convinced about guard.
'early' seems kind of relative. Rams don't figure to have a pick in the top-100.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nick Scott, Bobby Brown, Ernest Jones, Ernest Brown, Kendall Blanton....but I agree with you about Hopkins
"Especially on the offensive side of the ball" I said.
Blanton was undrafted, and has been a practice squad guy. He's not an example of patience by McVay, he's an example of perseverance.
Still and all,
Nick Scott- as a rook, active in all 16 games, played almost every ST snap. In limited play on D had couple tackles for loss
Bobby Brown- Active in 11 games (and counting) while getting snaps on D in 8 games
Ernest Jones? Why is he on the list? Started 7 games, active in 15. Thats a rook who is getting involved
Ernest Brown? Same as above. Why is he on the list? He was cut, currently on PS.

Now compare that to Brycen Hopkins?
Ballyhoo'd rookie that the Rams had big plans for. Only dressed for 5 games in both 1st and 2nd years. Liability on ST, saw those snaps disappear. Has only 1 target in 2 years. Was #3 on TE depth chart in 2nd year until Mundt got hurt. They opted to play 1 TE until Higbee got dinged up and gave the snaps to Harris and Blanton over him. Patience has to include progress.
There's no pattern of patience that McVay has demonstrated which remotely resembles Hopkins career. Its mind boggling actually. Im thinking they have a lot respect for his dad or something

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I remember hearing Aqib Talib talk about coming to LA. He said that even though he played here for a short while, the exposure of being in a massive market paid dividends to his post-playing career. He talked about the opportunities he has now calling games came from being in Los Angeles.

That’s not something a player like OBJ would discount. Why the hell would someone who is young, rich, and has a model girlfriend say to themselves, “LA was cool, but let me now go to Green Bay, Wisconsin” lol. Of course he wants to stay.

He has proven himself to be a dedicated player on the field for the Rams, and we should keep him.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While in 2022 we face a tight CAP, 2023 will be a far different story with all the network money pouring in with the new TV contracts, that as well as Amazon likely forking out a fortune for ESPN's Monday Night Football.
We wont see the increase in 2023 like we will see this year as the cap is hitting its ceiling of 208 mill and likely will be returning to its more normalized 10 mill per year increase

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I didn't mention him because the idea was we just go with Beckham, Kupp, and Jefferson...not to mention Harris & Atwell who also got hurt.

So my point is the more bodies the better and you just don't save much by moving him this yr.

You forgot Skowronek.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
"Especially on the offensive side of the ball" I said.
Blanton was undrafted, and has been a practice squad guy. He's not an example of patience by McVay, he's an example of perseverance.
Still and all,
Nick Scott- as a rook, active in all 16 games, played almost every ST snap. In limited play on D had couple tackles for loss
Bobby Brown- Active in 11 games (and counting) while getting snaps on D in 8 games
Ernest Jones? Why is he on the list? Started 7 games, active in 15. Thats a rook who is getting involved
Ernest Brown? Same as above. Why is he on the list? He was cut, currently on PS.

Now compare that to Brycen Hopkins?
Ballyhoo'd rookie that the Rams had big plans for. Only dressed for 5 games in both 1st and 2nd years. Liability on ST, saw those snaps disappear. Has only 1 target in 2 years. Was #3 on TE depth chart in 2nd year until Mundt got hurt. They opted to play 1 TE until Higbee got dinged up and gave the snaps to Harris and Blanton over him. Patience has to include progress.
There's no pattern of patience that McVay has demonstrated which remotely resembles Hopkins career. Its mind boggling actually. Im thinking they have a lot respect for his dad or something
They are all examples of patience and development. Even Ernest Jones. They waited until he felt he was ready. Do you really think the Rams aren’t all about development? They literally talk about it all the time. So does Jourdan.

But like I said I agree about Hopkins. It was a bad pick. Seems like a miss.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We wont see the increase in 2023 like we will see this year as the cap is hitting its ceiling of 208 mill and likely will be returning to its more normalized 10 mill per year increase

Are you saying that the NFL has a 2023 CAP ceiling in place & those network contracts will be meaningless to its future rise ?
I believe the only TV contract that affects the 2022 CAP was the Amazon Prime continuation with Thursday Night Football.

I don't think I'm properly understanding your post.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You forgot Skowronek.
Yeah, I think he can help. Might be more of an H-Back/ TE combo. Will be interesting how they use him, could make some plays if they can get him on a LB at times.

However if he ends up being a #2 because of injuries, then we're in trouble.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Are you saying that the NFL has a 2023 CAP ceiling in place & those network contracts will be meaningless to its future rise ?
I believe the only TV contract that affects the 2022 CAP was the Amazon Prime continuation with Thursday Night Football.

He is saying between 2021 and 2022, the cap jumped significantly because of Covid lowered it in 2020.

In 23' it will return to the $10M per yr increase that it has averaged in the past.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They are all examples of patience and development. Even Ernest Jones. They waited until he felt he was ready. Do you really think the Rams aren’t all about development? They literally talk about it all the time. So does Jourdan.

But like I said I agree about Hopkins. It was a bad pick. Seems like a miss.
You're showing guys that are getting in and playing right away, which is the McVay way. Hopkins doesnt even dress for games.
They're not remotely the same thing.
And again, I specifically said offensive players.
Of course there is patience and development of players, and that isnt exclusive to rookies. Hopkins however isnt following a pattern of patience that other players have followed. Patience and development by actually playing is more like what they follow in Rams land.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He is saying between 2021 and 2022, the cap jumped significantly because of Covid lowered it in 2020.

In 23' it will return to the $10M per yr increase that it has averaged in the past.

That part is fine for 2022, but how does the the new network money which is supposed to go into effect in 2023 not get added to the $10M+ average rise ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The players and owners agreed on a max cap # for 2022, a ceiling. And that # is going in to play. It is the single highest year over year increase in the history of the league. By all accounts that I have heard, the cap will normalize in 2023 to more of the standard year over year increase.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The players and owners agreed on a max cap # for 2022, a ceiling. And that # is going in to play. It is the single highest year over year increase in the history of the league. By all accounts that I have heard, the cap will normalize in 2023 to more of the standard year over year increase.

I understand that for our 2022 CAP and the $208M overall amount. I also understand that the CAP should normalize somewhat going forward as increased profits are realized, seats are filled and ticket prices rise, that explains the likely yearly rise of $10M, but this still doesn't take into account those single year aberrations where TV network money is renegotiated and added to the bottom line, ... and aren't the new 4 network and Amazon Prime MNF contracts supposed to go into effect for 2023 ?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
You're showing guys that are getting in and playing right away, which is the McVay way. Hopkins doesnt even dress for games.
They're not remotely the same thing.
And again, I specifically said offensive players.
Of course there is patience and development of players, and that isnt exclusive to rookies. Hopkins however isnt following a pattern of patience that other players have followed. Patience and development by actually playing is more like what they follow in Rams land.
Seems a bit like picking Nits. I kept hearing about how good McVay and his staff is at developing talent. I guess that’s not true. But whatever. It’s not worth arguing about.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They won't keep Michel. I mean you have Akers out all yr and he comes back and is getting 85% of the touches.

I'm unless its a cheap deal, he will move on.
The Rams will have 3 RB's involved in March's FA'cy. Sony Michel is sure trending towards NOT being a Ram due to very lean salary cap funds. FA Raymond Calais is injury prone & so is Buddy Howell.

Rams will have Two former starters returning Cam Akers (3rd season) & Darrell Henderson (4th season) both having major injury concerns :crying:attached to them. Another returning injured RB is Xavier Jones who tore his Achilles in his left ankle that required surgery.

The only other RB is 7th rd selection in 2021 Jake Funk. Jake Funk tore his hamstring in the Giants game & needed surgery. Since his return, he has been limited to just being active for 10 gms with only two rushes. He has been seen often on the injury lists since his return late this season.

Snead will have plenty of openings on his Training Camp Roster & is sure to be fully aware of what occurred to his RB room extremely early this season. Don't kid yourself it was in pitiful condition until he was forced to trade two draft selection assets to BB in New England for a RB who's NFL history was injury-riddled, damaged knee cartilage going back to high school & again in college. Sony was also known for having poor receiving skills along with being rather slow. But Sony always delivers on the field!

Appears to be the Rams just might want to seriously think long & hard about their RB situation & the not very sound & healthy RB cadre. I would find a way to keep Sony Michel until this RB room is not meeting in the rehab center or the training room with the dozen physical therapist working them over.:injury: