How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You would still have 3 TEs on the roster, just cheaper options. You might bring Mundt back and if they're done with Hopkins, they'll bring another in through draft or UDFA. Mundt can block.

Right now I'm seeing :

TE1) Higbee
TE2) ?
TE3) Blanton
TE4) Hopkins

Blanton displaces Mundt
Hopkins is signed thru the end of 2023 and remains as cheap insurance unless he realizes an epiphany.
Draft a later round developmental TE for our Practice Squad.

Hopefully the Rams find the resources for a quality outside free agent TE2, besides re-signing OBj and shoring up the OL, this is the next best manner to improving our offensive production.
jmo.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Right now I'm seeing :

TE1) Higbee
TE2) ?
TE3) Blanton
TE4) Hopkins

Blanton displaces Mundt
Hopkins is signed thru the end of 2023 and remains as cheap insurance unless he realizes an epiphany.

Hopefully the Rams find the resources for a quality outside free agent TE2, besides re-signing OBj and shoring up the OL, this is the next best manner to improving our offensive production.
jmo.
Very much the most likely scenario.

When we're looking at places they may consider trying to save money, seems like a possibility.
It's also possible they extend Higbee and zero him out next year.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Very much the most likely scenario.

When we're looking at places they may consider trying to save money, seems like a possibility.
It's also possible they extend Higbee and zero him out next year.

I'm not sure it's the most likely scenario or the most financially feasible, although it is my favorite next step for the offense.
I'm thinking Higs plays out 2022 and becomes big time trade bait for 2023.
jmo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's no way Hopkins is on the roster next year other than practice squad.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I can easily live with the dead money hit so long as the trade compensation is right.
I think he is still worth keeping. Beckham, Kupp, and Jefferson, all have injury histories. Jefferson gets nicked up a lot for a guy that doesn't catch a ton of passes and Kupp takes a lot of hits. So the more the merrier and next yr they could be better than this yr so max out next yr.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wonder if Holmes would throw us a 6th for him? Maybe he liked him... or could trade up a round using him.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I think he is still worth keeping. Beckham, Kupp, and Jefferson, all have injury histories. Jefferson gets nicked up a lot for a guy that doesn't catch a ton of passes and Kupp takes a lot of hits. So the more the merrier and next yr they could be better than this yr so max out next yr.
Woods is coming off a torn ACL now.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

It could easily work out your way, although I believe an extremely talented TE2 would be infinitely more valuable than WR3 Woods when you have so many guys available off the bench like Jefferson, Atwell, Harris & Skowronek who are ready to make an impact. We both have our thoughts on this and I think they both have merit, but for the time being, I'll take the trade compensation if it's high enough.
As for Jefferson, 802 total yards with 6 TD's isn't bad for a part time gig.
jmo.

Last edited:

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
So his trade value isn't high...

Didn't Beckham tear his ACL?

That injury appears to no longer be a career killer.
Probably not as high. Woods prior to injury wasn't what OBj was prior to injury, or the same ago. Also, I just added Woods because you excluded him when you said the others had injury concerns.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So his trade value isn't high...

Didn't Beckham tear his ACL?

That injury appears to no longer be a career killer.
Good example, did anyone trade for Beckham after his ACL injury? Couple of years younger than Woods when injury happened, numbers dropped off once he returned and he ended up getting cut. So with that is mind, who wants to trade for a guy who's 30, makes about 14 mill per year and has only had success in 1 system? I suppose his value is higher if the Rams pay the 3.5 mill roster bonus, then he's only on the new team books for 10 mill in 2022, but still, does that make him worth a 5th or 6th rounder?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Probably not as high. Woods prior to injury wasn't what OBj was prior to injury, or the same ago. Also, I just added Woods because you excluded him when you said the others had injury concerns.
I didn't mention him because the idea was we just go with Beckham, Kupp, and Jefferson...not to mention Harris & Atwell who also got hurt.

So my point is the more bodies the better and you just don't save much by moving him this yr.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OBJ is one serious weapon for this Rams offense I would be extremely happy if OBJ were to remain with the Rams.

Here's an article from a person who does not like this......

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Right now I'm seeing :

TE1) Higbee
TE2) ?
TE3) Blanton
TE4) Hopkins

Blanton displaces Mundt

jmo.
It sure appears clearly to me Snead's 4th round draft selection TE from 2 yrs ago Brycen Hopkins is a total bust thus far with very little evidence that this player has any chance to be useful to this team. If the Ram's super small TE closet room & its size might have been bigger he would not be here this season. But BH is lucky due to the fact that this 2021 drafted TE Jacob Harris turned into being a much more valued large wideout than TE.

Then (another bit of luck for BH) Ram's #2 TE Jonny Mundt suffered a season-ending knee injury. Even though Mundt is a UFA & coming off that torn ACL he is sure to be an easy low-cost budget resign for the Rams in a month.

McVay likes Mundt, he developed him when both came here back in 2017. A resigned Mundt will cost less than Hopkins over $1 mil salary in the 2022 season. Hopkins has a post-June 1st 2022 release Dead Cap: $163K with a Cap Savings near $900K.

Finally, there's PS Kyle Markway from South Carolina he has been on 4 NFL since 2020. Markway was considered the best blocker in his class with a physical mentality. He was drafted in the same group as the fast quick BH. Markway was like Mundt not a productive receiver with very little talent to become one, however, KM is a serious blocker either at FB or In-Line!

I see the TE cadre this coming 2022 season in the OTA's as:

#1)- Tyler Higbee 29/7
#2)- Kendall Blanton 26/2
#3)- Johnny Mundt 27/5
#4)- Kyle Markway 23/1
#5)- 2022 3rd day draft selection.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
With the Rams history of patience in developing guys, I wouldn't be too sure. Certainly hasn't shown he deserves to be on the roster, but there's an investment there that the Rams may still hope to recoup from.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hav has been tremendous this year, his best year as a pro IMO. He was good last year too. We can't get rid of him he's our best lineman. Not sure why people suggest that.
Havenstein's destiny is to become our OL leader & most seasoned OL in place of the retired Andrew Whitworth. On top of that his 2021/2022 OL performance was even better than AW's this season. Big Rob will be 30 this year & will begin his 8th season ...all as a Ram!

Rob's 4yr $ 32 million contract (average $8 mill) sure looks like a super bargain to me @ this time. IMO Rob is getting better @ all phases of his game. His run blocking has always been in the top five but now his pass blocking has steadily improved so those smaller quicker ER's are not giving him trouble as much.

In less than a month, the Ram's top 3 under contract OL'ers will be Havenstein/ Evans/ Edwards. How would you feel if Bobby Evans :scream:was Ram's top veteran OL'er if Havenstein was not a Ram?

The only reason one might be in the trade Havenstien realm is the Rams have a boatload of RT's available:

Tremayne Anchrum
Bobby Evans
David Edwards
Alaric Jackson
Chandler Brewer
Max Pircher
Jamil Demby.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Rams will be losing free agents this year. Corbett, Allen, SJD, Williams.

They will want picks so maybe they trade a guy like Rapp, and Higbee? I don’t know if they could trade Woods contract but O’Connel could use Woods to help install his offense in Minnesota. If they keep Woods I’d be more concerned with signing Von Miller than I am Odell Beckham.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The Rams will be losing free agents this year. Corbett, Allen, SJD, Williams.

They will want picks so maybe they trade a guy like Rapp, and Higbee? I don’t know if they could trade Woods contract but O’Connel could use Woods to help install his offense in Minnesota. If they keep Woods I’d be more concerned with signing Von Miller than I am Odell Beckham.
I think the fate of Corbett and Allen is connected to what they do at LT. As INCREDIBLY improbable as it is.. if they rolled out Jackson as starting LT next year.. I think they'd keep both Corbett and Allen to increase stability in the rest of the line for that transition.
If they decide to pay Noteboom.. then there's a better than good chance they lose those two

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the Rams history of patience in developing guys, I wouldn't be too sure
What history of patience in developing guys? They play their rooks right away, especially those on the offense side of the ball. 0 offensive snaps in 2 years isnt developing, its just taking up space.