How do we keep OBJ??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I've been in this boat for a while now, but wondering if there are other people coming aboard now? OBJ once again shows his dominance in the red zone where he is unstoppable, and seems to be developing more overall chemistry with Stafford. He showed his route running and explosion today, and even his arm!! All his production is coming while learning an entirely new system mid season, and having to develop chemistry with his QB on the fly. This can't be emphasized enough.

Im a huge Woods fan, and understand his importance to this team as a leader and what he's given us the last 4 years. But OBJ has obviously more talent and is healthy and a great fit. Can we keep both Woods and OBJ? Is that even possible cap wise? If not, isn't the better move to trade Woods and keep OBJ?

The Ramowl

Starter
I've always been a fan of Woods reliability and low profile, pure team player. But OBJ is showing the ability to play as a #1 and paired with Kupp it becomes a nightmare. He had crazy good hands and so far seems to have been of great character. It's a bit more risky, but I'd keep him over Woods.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No idea. But I have a theory that the salary cap is fake. And also that McVay might be an alien but I'm just kidding. Or am I.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cuts, restructures, and extensions. I'm sure it'll happen. Him and von Miller have to be priorities this offseason.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm sure the Rams will do everything to keep, OBJ, Von Miller and Sony Michel.

SJD is the most likely cap casualty and will probably net us a 5th.

The biggest off-season question is gonna be Big Whit/Noteboom as I'm unsure we can keep both unless Big Whit takes a big pay cut and we sign Noteboom to a longer deal with money pushed into future years to keep the 2022 cap under control.

But for real, I think the entire org is dreaming about next year with Kupp, OBJ and Woods with Akers and Michel in the back field. That'd be ridiculous.

Ellard80

Legend
once woods is back i just don't see it....

unless you think they going to push van jefferson to almost no targets.

Von miller however id certainly like to keep.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Odell is in his prime. And he's a level of player we won't sniff for a while due to no high draft picks. There is zero chance McVay lets that dude escape in FA. I just feel like they'll move whoever they need to in order to fit him, to include Woody.

As to a lot of the others I think some tough decisions get made.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
One thing we have going for us is this is truly the happiest I’ve seen him be after his second year. He’s having fun and feel appreciated, which I think is something he’s been missing

TexasRam

Legend
No way dude. I'm hittin it hard as F now. Gonna be a looooong night always sleep like shit after a big win like this. :fistbump1:
I hear you on that. I'm working nights so up anyways. But if not I would need a form of sedation hehe.

TexasRam

Legend
To me its all about what they want to prioritize. Mcvay being a pass happy guy may make OBJ a priority.

Maybe OBJ takes a hometown discount since we revived his career.

Checkmate

Ram HOF'er
Name
Shaun
I'm all for looking at trying to Keep OBJ but not at the expense of Woods. He is so vital to our run game success

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He's a goalline monster, how the Browns couldn't score TD with him is criminal.
Its insane. If you single him up he should score like 80%+ of the time. I guess Baker really couldn't get him the ball.

But what @Merlin has said recently that I really agree with is the type of receiver OBJ is vs Woods. Woods is timing based intermediate stuff which was perfect for Goff. But Stafford has always loved a WR that can win 1-on-1s. Highpoint, back-shoulder, etc. I think OBJ is more talented overall, that's my opinion, but more importantly he's just a better fit with our new QB. Especially with how dominant he is in the RZ.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Woods isn't going anywhere.

His dead money is pretty close to his salary, so even if the savings is actually savings, it'd be paying at least $13M for Woods to play somewhere else. Seeing as it's at most a matter of about $2M, I really think Woods will be welcomed back with open arms.

And yea, I think we're gonna really try to retain OBJ. He's made plenty of money and really, REALLY wants to win a Super Bowl. He loves this team and this offense.

He's been in a money situation in Cleveland and I don't think he's interested in going back to anything like that.

Based on how this team has integrated these players (OBJ, Von Miller, Sony Michel), I think every effort will be made to retain them.

LT will be a question... I think SJD is gonna be allowed to walk... and I think we'll be juggling a little in the secondary... but the big guys we got who are showing up now? Yeah, I don't see them going anywhere unless they want out after the season.