How do we approach the backup to Kyren Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Who is Jahmyr Gibbs 2/0 in this draft?
I like Bucky Irving for a quick ass back with some burners, but he's a bit smaller than Gibbs. I personally don't see anyone with Gibbs acceleration though, he's special in that regard.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Bucky Irving for a quick ass back with some burners, but he's a bit smaller than Gibbs. I personally don't see anyone with Gibbs acceleration though, he's special in that regard.
Serious tingling for Bucky! ~ El Chapo Jr

muggmeister

Rookie
Joe Mixon would be a great add at the right price.
Williams at 15-18 touches per game with Mixon receiving 10-12 touches would be just fine for me. No drop-off when Williams takes a breather and he might just last the entire season. But then again, the price must be right (cheap).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Williams at 15-18 touches per game with Mixon receiving 10-12 touches would be just fine for me. No drop-off when Williams takes a breather and he might just last the entire season. But then again, the price must be right (cheap).

Absolutely no to Joe Mixon. Impossible for me to root for a woman beater.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's a thought; how do we know what we have in Zach Evans? His performance in 2023? 9 rushes for 19 yards? He sucks right?

In college, at both TCU and Mississippi, when he got 12 carries or more (10 games), he gained 1328 yards (7.6) with 8 TD. In just 1 of those 10 games, he had an average less than 6.5 ypc. In the 7 games when he had less than 7 carries, he had 73 yards on 24 carries, less than 3.0 per. If he's the type of RB who 'needs' carries to be productive, then unless McVay wants a two headed monster back there, he's not the guy.

The Rams tendered Rivers, so he's probably the #2 anyway. Still wish they'd draft a RB again.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Here's a thought; how do we know what we have in Zach Evans? His performance in 2023? 9 rushes for 19 yards? He sucks right?

In college, at both TCU and Mississippi, when he got 12 carries or more (10 games), he gained 1328 yards (7.6) with 8 TD. In just 1 of those 10 games, he had an average less than 6.5 ypc. In the 7 games when he had less than 7 carries, he had 73 yards on 24 carries, less than 3.0 per. If he's the type of RB who 'needs' carries to be productive, then unless McVay wants a two headed monster back there, he's not the guy.

The Rams tendered Rivers, so he's probably the #2 anyway. Still wish they'd draft a RB again.
Strangely, if I recall correctly, Evans was the top rated back in the draft last year by PFF. Not sure why he wasn't given more carries, espeically in our last regular season game. Maybe he wasn't picking up our offense or was awful in pass protection? Not sure we can rely on him to back up Kyren next year, especially with Rivers being retained.

WestCoastRam

Legend

I'm a big believer in giving guys a whole offseason to start to make a judgement but I can't say I have high hopes for him. RB is one of the few positions that guys can hit the ground running (PUNS!) in the NFL and I was disappointed that with the injuries we had at RB, he wasn't able to carve out more of a role. We'll see this year. But not holding my breath.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Yeah, we signed street free agents rather then giving him the rock. Tells me his roster spot is certainly not assured this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Strangely, if I recall correctly, Evans was the top rated back in the draft last year by PFF. Not sure why he wasn't given more carries, espeically in our last regular season game. Maybe he wasn't picking up our offense or was awful in pass protection? Not sure we can rely on him to back up Kyren next year, especially with Rivers being retained.
PFF is fucking retarded if they had him anywhere near the top of the class. But either way for where we drafted him he was effectively a "high risk high reward" type pick. The dude does have some raw skills. Thing is this league requires so much on top of that for a player to excel, so in his case the history of BS with TCU and how things went down were good indicators of what to expect from the guy.

That aside he's still got a job until he doesn't. So if he can get his head on straight he does have the talent. Seems real unlikely though since they're gonna need to draft another depth back for that room just in case.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That does seem to be the rub. Royce Freeman sort of filled that role, but once Ronnie Rivers came back Royce became chopped liver to McVay.
I rewatched the wildcard game in Detroit…The Rams playcalling in the Red Zone were absolutely mystifying. When we were inside the 5…not one run…NOT ONE…you can say Williams was dinged up, but he ran his best in the 4th quarter. I had to laugh at Collinsworth because after a good 12 yard run, he said.” Now that’s the way Williams has been running the last seven weeks”..I screamed at the TV…McVay has only run him 7 or 8 times all game until now. Williams could have taken some of that pressure off of Staff. Hutchinson was lined up so wide at times, it was begging for an inside rush to slide by him and keep him honest. The fade routes to Kupp in the red zone were inexplicable…why were they thrown…is Coop known for his leaping ability?????

WestCoastRam

Legend
I rewatched the wildcard game in Detroit…The Rams playcalling in the Red Zone were absolutely mystifying. When we were inside the 5…not one run…NOT ONE…you can say Williams was dinged up, but he ran his best in the 4th quarter. I had to laugh at Collinsworth because after a good 12 yard run, he said.” Now that’s the way Williams has been running the last seven weeks”..I screamed at the TV…McVay has only run him 7 or 8 times all game until now. Williams could have taken some of that pressure off of Staff. Hutchinson was lined up so wide at times, it was begging for an inside rush to slide by him and keep him honest. The fade routes to Kupp in the red zone were inexplicable…why were they thrown…is Coop known for his leaping ability?????
Red zone has alway been McVay's kryptonite going all the way back to Washington.