How do we approach the backup to Kyren Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
There are 3 traits I look for in a running back. In no particular order:
1) vision.
2) vision.
3) vision.

KW is the only back with those traits currently on the roster. Draft another in the round 3 to 5 range. No more "I can run fast into a wall" types. I want the back that finds and attacks empty space. The special guys. Too much to ask?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Estime will blow up the combine and run a sub 4.5 40
He’ll be a 2nd rounder imo

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
There are 3 traits I look for in a running back. In no particular order:
1) vision.
2) vision.
3) vision.

KW is the only back with those traits currently on the roster. Draft another in the round 3 to 5 range. No more "I can run fast into a wall" types. I want the back that finds and attacks empty space. The special guys. Too much to ask?
And I think you can pick out the special backs at the combine more than most positions. If one of those guys are still there at the end of the 3rd, I'd hate to pass on that guy.

Ram65

Legend
I believe in the NFL you need two really good backs. Williams has been great when healthy but, he does get hurt.

I don't know many college players except, Estime. He would make himself and Williams a 1A 1B running back punch. There might not be enough carries to keep them both happy. I imagine he is a high pick. The Rams need to pick at least one RB if not two if they go for later-round picks.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I agree with the Cody Schrader idea!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I see him staying because they kept him on the roster all season.
It's all projection with him right now, because, as you said, he hasn't shown anything.

I just think he's got some talent.
He'll get a spring and training camp. Not sure more than that.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
My personal belief isn’t that you need a “change of pace” but rather have fresh legs that doesn’t require you change what you’re doing on offense. Give me a back with vision that can pass block and pick up chunk yards and I’m good.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
I see him staying because they kept him on the roster all season.
It's all projection with him right now, because, as you said, he hasn't shown anything.

I just think he's got some talent.
McVay’s not going to play a running back that isn’t proficient at pass protection. That’s what kept Evans on the sidelines. He’s going to have to figure it out or he won’t be on the roster in 2024. McVay obviously likes something about him or he would not be on the 53 man roster. Running backs can be found in the latter rounds. Isiah Pacheco for the Chiefs was a 7 th round pick who outplayed their 1st round pick from a few years ago.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know this guy played safety, but he also played running back and is a fluid pass catcher. He's also a Sr. Bowl standout. - Sione Vaki

He could be a real multifaceted weapon for McVay..

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I know this guy played safety, but he also played running back and is a fluid pass catcher. He's also a Sr. Bowl standout. - Sione Vaki

sounds like a player that would be great on Special Teams alone, sign me up.

dang

Legend

What Round? Dont see him as a 3rd rounder. We don’t have a 4th round pick (yet). Probably gone by the 5th.

WestCoastRam

Legend
McVay’s not going to play a running back that isn’t proficient at pass protection. That’s what kept Evans on the sidelines. He’s going to have to figure it out or he won’t be on the roster in 2024. McVay obviously likes something about him or he would not be on the 53 man roster. Running backs can be found in the latter rounds. Isiah Pacheco for the Chiefs was a 7 th round pick who outplayed their 1st round pick from a few years ago.
I suspect it's far more than pass protection keeping Evans on the sideline.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What Round? Dont see him as a 3rd rounder. We don’t have a 4th round pick (yet). Probably gone by the 5th.
Right now he’s projected to go on day three. I don’t know if he did enough at the Senior Bowl to get him into day 2. He sounds like a McVay type of player.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Draft one every year! I would be trying to recreate the 2007 Chargers RB depth chart. 3 highly talented backs that all bring something different to the team.

dang

Legend
Rams will definately draft another RB. Right now they don’t have a 4th round so been eyeballing R5 prospects. Maybe someone like C Schrader/MO or Johnson/WA.?

Last edited:

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve

I wonder if Sony Michel can be coaxed out of retirement? He was a good runner and an above average blocker. He helped us in key plays in the super bowl run.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbHfLzj3T4I

And they should be able to get him on day three of the draft.

He has a better than average chance to go to the Rams I'd think.

:bullseye: Kentucky have been running a pro style offense courtesy of Liam Coen so he should be a quick study in camp.

:bullseye: He fits the type of back McVay likes in some ways, not totally a passcatchy type at 220 though so offers some change of pace.

:bullseye: He showed well Senior Bowl week, prior to a hamstring injury, which checks that Les Snead box.

Some highlights:

View: https://twitter.com/lvrgfootball/status/1752507467001405669

View: https://twitter.com/ConnorJRogers/status/1753128458668900477

View: https://twitter.com/Monty4033/status/1752824243786506689

View: https://twitter.com/NickPenticoff/status/1752801294371176899