How do we approach the backup to Kyren Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Traits:

1. Excellent field vision
2. Explosive burst w/ elusiveness
3. Runs w/ power w/ proven ability to catch passes
4. Proven durability
5. Timed speed in the 4.5 range

With the evolved run attack McVay uses in his current run attack these are the traits they would want in their RBs. Top end speed, is no longer a concern. They are looking for another Sony Michel type of RB who can pass block and move the chains. RBs like these can be found in most rounds with the 5th round being most likely in this draft.

McVay's current pass attack is geared to get chunk intermediate yardage. It's a modified ball control type of attack and the RBs are complimentary. The pass threat backs the LBs off enough to allow the OL to open holes for the RBs to get chunk yardage. I really like this offense in its current form.

I think his WRs will evolve as well. Look at Kupp, Nacua, and Robinson all over 6' tall (big targets with good length) built for winning contested receptions, with 4.5 type speed. This is why I would expect them to package Atwell in a trade this season. I think just like Sean's RBs have evolved so has his passing game. Atwell is no longer a scheme fit IMO.

This is why I think McVay's current pass attack has altered the QB type he needs. It is a better fit for more QBs. Nix and McCarthy type of QBs are now what he's looking for. Being able to move through progressions quickly, making good decisions, and passing with accuracy and velocity out to the mid zones is a must. Penix is probably the best at reading defenses and throwing with accuracy at all levels, but I see him going in the top 6 or 7 to the Seahawks who will probably package Smith to move up inside the top 10.

The bottom line is that both the type of RB as well as WR needed in this evolved offensive scheme has changed since last season's bye. It's why they used Rivers instead of Freeman, and Evans is still in the mix. Quickness and power counts for more than top end speed in McVays new run attack.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We've only seen Kyren for 22 games. I don't think we even know for sure what we have in Williams. I want them to draft another RB but drafting RBs often is a theory I like. And it's one that has been mentioned by many fans and media alike. What we've seen from Kyren is encouraging. If you look at the top yards per game RBs in Rams history, he's top 10. Really top 8 as the top 2, CJ Anderson and Greg Hill (who I thought was going to be a force in 1998) played just 2 games each. Looking at TDs per game and discounting Hills 2 TDs per game average, Greg Bell (0.91) had the best percentage. Dickerson (0.86), Gurley (0.79) and Jackson (0.69) were right behind him. Forget KW's lost rookie year and he averaged 1 TD per game on the ground this year. We realistically can't expect that to continue but if he's in that Bell to Jackson area.....and he stays healthy, which is his biggest question mark.....we won't see a lot of the #2 RB. Still finding one in the draft to compete for #2 with Evans would be smart. I like the kid from Notre Dame, Estime and I heard an interview with an impressive kid on Sirrius but I forget his name. He overcame being a ward of the state at age 5. I wish I could remember his name.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Williams is already injury prone and he has almost no tread on his tires. He's a great RB but I am not sure we can count on him to be available consistently. We need a capable backup.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Can he pass block well - that seems to be the requirement for McVay. That and character/leadership.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
^^that’s my day three RB right there.
That's the kid I heard interviewed. Ra'Mahn (Ray) Davis. I didn't know he was just 5'8" but 220 is packing a lot of umph into that frame. He sounded like an extremely grounded kid with a positive outlook on working hard.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I don’t want anything to do with Mixon on this team.

One vet RB guy who is likely to be cut that I wouldn’t mind picking up as a backup - AJ Dillon. Won’t cost much at all. Solid guy who is a good in pass protection and short yardage guy.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
There is no comparison between Dillon and Mixon in terms of who is the better player. To my knowledge he has acted professionally since joining the league. If so, are there still character concerns? He is relatively young and has plenty of tread left

I doubt it happens but considering the Bengles would be on the hook for his remaining contract he would be a high impact player for relatively little money. As for character, we have close relationships between the teams so that stuff would be discussed I am sure

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Another huge trait for me with a RB coming in, balance. Invaluable in a RB. Kyren has excellent vision and balance.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Another huge trait for me with a RB coming in, balance. Invaluable in a RB. Kyren has excellent vision and balance.
Oops, phone issue - wrong reply.
There is no comparison between Dillon and Mixon in terms of who is the better player. To my knowledge he has acted professionally since joining the league. If so, are there still character concerns? He is relatively young and has plenty of tread left

I doubt it happens but considering the Bengles would be on the hook for his remaining contract he would be a high impact player for relatively little money. As for character, we have close relationships between the teams so that stuff would be discussed I am sure
why would Mixon want to come to the Rams at this point in his career to be a backup to Kyren? That’s what he’d basically be here. I’m sure he’d want an opportunity to showcase himself for the most money.
I’m looking for someone to simply be depth that will cost little so we can utilize that cap space elsewhere. Basically a better version of Ronnie Rivers

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
If Cody Schrader from Missouri University is available, the Rams should run to the podium and announce his name.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
There is no comparison between Dillon and Mixon in terms of who is the better player. To my knowledgewoul he has acted professionally since joining the league. If so, are there still character concerns? He is relatively young and has plenty of tread left

Joe Mixon would be a great add at the right price.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Oops, phone issue - wrong reply.

why would Mixon want to come to the Rams at this point in his career to be a backup to Kyren? That’s what he’d basically be here. I’m sure he’d want an opportunity to showcase himself for the most money.
I’m looking for someone to simply be depth that will cost little so we can utilize that cap space elsewhere. Basically a better version of Ronnie Rivers
An opportunity for a ring is one reason. Also most teams don't seem to be overpaying for backs or relying on a bell cow system anymore. Mixon and other running backs see this and based on how FA works out for him, he may or may not be an option. He'd be an awesome add though but who knows what happens there.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If Cody Schrader from Missouri University is available, the Rams should run to the podium and announce his name.
Doesn't seem very fast or to have a great burst to me that would translate to the NFL. Great college career though. I'd personally pass on him.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
I don’t want anything to do with Mixon on this team.

One vet RB guy who is likely to be cut that I wouldn’t mind picking up as a backup - AJ Dillon. Won’t cost much at all. Solid guy who is a good in pass protection and short yardage guy.
This^

He is invisible too often for my taste. Honestly, don't know if that's play calling or a disappearing act as I do think he has talent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Doesn't seem very fast or to have a great burst to me that would translate to the NFL. Great college career though. I'd personally pass on him.

Schrader won't test fast, but he's got exceptional vision, power, and is a fantastic and versatile third down player. For a late fifth? Absolutely.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Schrader won't test fast, but he's got exceptional vision, power, and is a fantastic and versatile third down player. For a late fifth? Absolutely.
I watched the highlights and I'm honestly meh on him. Not saying I'm an expert or anything, but I just don't find him that impressive. If we draft him in the 5th, I won't necessarily poop on it either as anyone taken there obviously has warts to their game.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I watched the highlights and I'm honestly meh on him. Not saying I'm an expert or anything, but I just don't find him that impressive. If we draft him in the 5th, I won't necessarily poop on it either as anyone taken there obviously has warts to their game.

I've watched his games. He was the straw that stirred the drink for Mizzou's offense - and this is with Luther Burden III (potential top-five pick next year), Theo Wease (who will be at least a mid-round pick next year, if not a late second day pick), and a slew of other talented receivers who would be starters at other schools (of course, I don't believe that Brady Cook is an NFL-caliber quarterback, so I'm not biased).

He's not as insanely fast as Tyler Badie, but he didn't need to be in order to be successful; his vision in finding any hole was top-notch, his pass-protection was solid, and he ran a lot of complicated routes for Mizzou (see Tennessee, where he became the first player in SEC history to have over 200 rushing yards and over 100 receiving yards).

If there was a gun to my head, would I pick him over KAD or Rakestraw? Hell no, but he's going to be a solid pro in the league.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I've watched his games. He was the straw that stirred the drink for Mizzou's offense - and this is with Luther Burden III (potential top-five pick next year), Theo Wease (who will be at least a mid-round pick next year, if not a late second day pick), and a slew of other talented receivers who would be starters at other schools (of course, I don't believe that Brady Cook is an NFL-caliber quarterback, so I'm not biased).

He's not as insanely fast as Tyler Badie, but he didn't need to be in order to be successful; his vision in finding any hole was top-notch, his pass-protection was solid, and he ran a lot of complicated routes for Mizzou (see Tennessee, where he became the first player in SEC history to have over 200 rushing yards and over 100 receiving yards).

If there was a gun to my head, would I pick him over KAD or Rakestraw? Hell no, but he's going to be a solid pro in the league.
We'll agree to disagree here. I just don't see it. I could be wrong and if we happen to draft him, like anyone else we draft that I may me meh on, I hope they prove me wrong.