How do we approach the backup to Kyren Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We should definitely grab one, whether that's in FA or the Draft.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
I predict Zach Evans will not make the 53-man roster next year.

He barely even got any touches in the meaningless final game vs. SF. I don't think McVay and the staff think he has what it takes to be a pro.

I've watched every touch he's had in both pre and regular season, and Evans just doesn't show any fire to him.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wouldn’t mind seeing them get someone who’s a more physical runner, the kind that hurts defenders when they try to tackle him. Let him spell Kyren once in a while, deliver some pain, and then put KW back in when the D is softened up.

That does seem to be the rub. Royce Freeman sort of filled that role, but once Ronnie Rivers came back Royce became chopped liver to McVay.
I don't get it. Royce freeman ran for over 4 yards a carry last year and looked like a stud running hard into defenders. What is the problem with Freeman... can he not block? We know he doesn't catch much but there are ways to utilize him.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I predict Zach Evans will not make the 53-man roster next year.

He barely even got any touches in the meaningless final game vs. SF. I don't think McVay and the staff think he has what it takes to be a pro.

I've watched every touch he's had in both pre and regular season, and Evans just doesn't show any fire to him.
I see him staying because they kept him on the roster all season.
It's all projection with him right now, because, as you said, he hasn't shown anything.

I just think he's got some talent.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We should definitely grab one, whether that's in FA or the Draft.
I like to pair him with somebody he is familiar with in Audric Estime. What is your evaluation on Estime?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
There is a bunch of backs in this draft that would be nice back ups for Kyren. Personally, I would not sign one in FA as you can get a young cheap back for a later round pick that could hit the floor running (and save that cap). I really like the RB class personally. I don't think we should touch one until at least the 4th round, so the guys I'm listing below are projected in that area or lower.

MarShawn Lloyd (4th) - Personally, I'm a big fan. I think he is a stud in the NFL. Size, speed, footwork, pass catching. Could us some pass pro improvement

Ray Davis (4th) - Similar to Lloyd in my eyes, all around back. Same as Lloyd, not sure how good his is at pass pro.

Dillion Johnson (4th) - This guy could be a stud and is less of a receiving back but has shown better pass pro then others.

Braelon Allen (5th) - Big bruising back who is also super athletic. Honestly could be a steal in the 5th.

Will Shipley (5th) - Smaller then the guys above and really not great at pass pro, but all around receiving back that fights for yards.

Jase McClellan (7th) - Tough runner with some speed. IMO, at least as good as Evans.

Dylan Laube is a guy I need to watch a bit more of to have a good idea about him, but several trusted guys like him on here.

Any of those guys appear to be very nice back ups to Kyren and able to shoulder the load if he gets dinged up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like to pair him with somebody he is familiar with in Audric Estime. What is your evaluation on Estime?
Can't speak for others but I'd like another back to have some speed and especially some short area burst. Estime is a good back but doesn't really have that from my understanding.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is a bunch of backs in this draft that would be nice back ups for Kyren. Personally, I would not sign one in FA as you can get a young cheap back for a later round pick that could hit the floor running (and save that cap). I really like the RB class personally. I don't think we should touch one until at least the 4th round, so the guys I'm listing below are projected in that area or lower.

MarShawn Lloyd (4th) - Personally, I'm a big fan. I think he is a stud in the NFL. Size, speed, footwork, pass catching. Could us some pass pro improvement

Ray Davis (4th) - Similar to Lloyd in my eyes, all around back. Same as Lloyd, not sure how good his is at pass pro.

Dillion Johnson (4th) - This guy could be a stud and is less of a receiving back but has shown better pass pro then others.

Braelon Allen (5th) - Big bruising back who is also super athletic. Honestly could be a steal in the 5th.

Will Shipley (5th) - Smaller then the guys above and really not great at pass pro, but all around receiving back that fights for yards.

Jase McClellan (7th) - Tough runner with some speed. IMO, at least as good as Evans.

Dylan Laube is a guy I need to watch a bit more of to have a good idea about him, but several trusted guys like him on here.

Any of those guys appear to be very nice back ups to Kyren and able to shoulder the load if he gets dinged up.
As a Clemson fan I'd stay away from Shipley especially with the way McVay changed the blocking and running scheme last year. He's a back I think McVay would have gone for a couple years ago but not any more. Just my 2 cents on him.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can't speak for others but I'd like another back to have some speed and especially some short area burst. Estime is a good back but doesn't really have that from my understanding.
Anyone that you like in the draft?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Braelon Allen to me is a great option in the 5th. Good overall speed and has the quick burst to get separation and can maintain a good speed. Think his underwear olympics numbers will be faster than smaller backs. Plus he's a monster at short yardage and will only be 20 in his rookie season.

@den-the-coach was typing that out while you asked :)

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Mcvay needs to be smart w this. Williams is great but I'm not sure about the tread on the tires.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Pretty sure Rivers won't cost much to bring back. He's not a big bruiser type like Freeman. But he does run with toughness. And he's quicker. Being built lower to the ground doesn't hurt either.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I like that idea!!! Dude always moves forward. Like Kyren. I would think he could be had late on day two or early on day three.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I thought Royce Freemen was a good change of pace back and he's a big dude. But obviously, I trust in McSnead more than my own opinions.