How do we approach the backup to Kyren Williams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If I am seeing this correctly, only Kyren Williams and Zach Evans are under contract for 2024... So, the Rams need to add some running backs.

I assume we might toss a draft pick at the position in the mid/later rounds, perhaps an UDFA, plus a more established low-tier FA... sort of like Freeman was in 2023.

Thoughts?

Add Running Back to the positions that need some resources this offseason. We fall off a cliff after Kyren and I'm not convinced Zach Evans is anything special. He certainly hasn't stood out with his opportunities.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I believe Ronnie Rivers is an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, so I would expect him on the Training Camp roster.

Really like Royce Freeman for his size and power-running skills but I'm not sure that's something McVay values. Think the nature of the position is that there are always veterans available for the league minimum.

Finally, I don't think it's a bad idea to use a late-round-pick on a RB most seasons. So many solid, useful backs are selected in the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. Seems like a good investment.

Love Williams but not sure about his durability. Had the Rams won the Wild Card Game, not sure he would have been available for the next game.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
A runningback I've always liked and he's a free agent is D'Onta Foreman. Not sure cap wise if he's feasible.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think we should draft a RB2. I like Marshawn Lloyd and Dylan Laube as prospects for Day 3. If the Rams are willing to invest a Day 2 pick, I'd look at Blake Corum and Tre Benson.

Haden

Kurt Warner for President
Name
Dave
Boy, the days of high round RB picks are sure gone. A RB on Day 3 would be swell.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That round 5-7 range should be able to cover it. Just keep Les away from the "high upside" adventure selection and get a back who can handle the carries when called on. Don't need a home run hitter just a good solid runner who can move the chains and is willing in pass pro.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Draft an RB every year. I may be the biggest Kyren fan on here but even I will admit the position doesnt require a "workhorse" any more. 1 minute he could be RB1, next he could be riding pine.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Cody. Schrader. In the fifth.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Devin Singletary might be a good fit in McVay’s offense but could be a little too pricey Sportrac is guessing 5.3 for 3 years. He is only 26 and seems to be den ent in the passing game.

Zack Moss is another on a BIG list of free agents that could be a fit.

Without seeing what FA might bring, I don’t expect a lot in the period before the draft, it’s hard to predict where they might pick someone up. Dylan Laube didn’t play in a top conference but he has decent size and has been good un the passing game. Walter Football has him listed as #10 going in round 3-5.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I wouldn’t mind seeing them get someone who’s a more physical runner, the kind that hurts defenders when they try to tackle him. Let him spell Kyren once in a while, deliver some pain, and then put KW back in when the D is softened up.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Zach Evans might show improvement in year two. But it would be a risk to rely on him. He's got the measurables but he was unimpressive in his limited opportunities. Rivers is a restricted free agent. Probably wouldn't be hard to bring him back. He seems similar to Kyren in his running style. I agree it would be a good idea to draft one or sign one in free agency.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn’t mind seeing them get someone who’s a more physical runner, the kind that hurts defenders when they try to tackle him. Let him spell Kyren once in a while, deliver some pain, and then put KW back in when the D is softened up.
Yes. If only McVay agreed with that sentiment.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yes. If only McVay agreed with that sentiment.

That does seem to be the rub. Royce Freeman sort of filled that role, but once Ronnie Rivers came back Royce became chopped liver to McVay.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Zach Evans might show improvement in year two. But it would be a risk to rely on him. He's got the measurables but he was unimpressive in his limited opportunities.

So he's perfectly set up to be Kyren 2.0!
Maybe? Could happen (again).

Rams definitely should upgrade the RB room. Maybe one of these FA RB's looking for a big payday/2d contracts gets frozen out and has to scramble to get on a team. Maybe draft one of those mentioned above.
Just upgrade, baby.