Hill to start at QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Walter

Rookie
I say props to Fischer for not being stubborn and doing what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. Sometimes people stand behind their decisions too a fault. I really think a strong leader is able to say, F it, that didn't work and lets try something else. Just my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think this is less about thinking the team is going to jump from scoring 17 points a game to 31 with Hill in there it is more about being efficient. The Arizona game could have been much different if the team managed even a couple of FGs in the second half and took possessions away from Arizona by controlling the clock better with first downs.
I also would not be surprised to see another change late in the season, the last couple of games, if the Rams dont notch a bunch of wins, no matter how well Hill plays. Whether that is Keenum or going back to Davis (after he has had a month to watch film and hopefully learn). Another loss or two and this season officially becomes about next year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I can't believe that ppl are ragging on Fisher for changing course. What would have been irresponsible would have been to refuse to continue to evaluate the position. You don't make the decision for the week 10 starting anything in week 3.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He threw the same int that Davis has thrown 2 times now I'm pretty sure. All three balls picked by the underneath defender if I recall it right.

Rewatch. Hill was very good. Every pass he threw was accurate except for the interception and i believe that was the play right after he was injured and his last pass of the game.

Other than that throw, he controlled the game, hit every receiver except one that ran the wrong route and overthrew Quick on an 8 man blitz where it appeared to me he was throwing it away without drawing the intentional grounding call.

After studying Hill's only play time again, I'm 100% sure this is the right move. Dude was very good.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I say props to Fischer for not being stubborn and doing what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. Sometimes people stand behind their decisions too a fault. I really think a strong leader is able to say, F it, that didn't work and lets try something else. Just my opinion.

And that's a legitimate POV, I don't blame Fisher for making a change if he thinks it is what is indicated , I do blame him for laying the trap for himself he did TWICE.
IMO if you want wiggle room you have to create it and two times he has left himself none and yeah I'm not unaware that coaches say things they don't fully believe are true to set a players fears at ease / take pressure off them.
I'm not advocating any of the we must fire this guy stuff,but my confidence in the ability to put stock in what he says has to change , and I don't for an instant believe Fisher doesn't now has two QB's if those same words come out of his mouth will KNOW it's just a temporary expression and has no meaning beyond that moment , I am surprised that a coach with as much experience as Fisher has ,he is still capable of painting himself in a corner that way.
Hill may come in and play outstanding football,OTOH he is going up against a team that played in the SB last year that is far better on defense than they were last year and I would not be at all surprised to see Davis finish the game .

I will watch and hope for the best but we are facing not just an offensive juggernaut but a defense some believe is as good as their offense .
I have no idea which of our QB's really does give us the best chance to win this game , but I do know which one I would bet real money had the better chance to withstand the punishment that defense can inflict .

I don't doubt the coaches have all said "if we lose this game 9-7 is the best we can get to so mathematically the season is dependent upon winning 6 straight " I can't in my most optimistic moments expect 6 straight.
SO for all intents and purposes winning this game is a must .
I have always picked the Rams in my picks because I've never wanted to be in the position to have a rooting interest in them losing . Won't start now

Big Game

Living The Dream
I like Davis and what he brought to the team. I think NFL defensive coaches just finally caught on how to rattle the kid. And its pretty much the same they do to any rookie QB mix up the coverage and send blitzes at him.

Lately Davis has failed to see the blitz or stand in the pocket. So I can see why Fisher made the change.

Hopefully Shaun Hill can play well and lead this team to more victory's. I would still love to finish with at least and 8-8 record.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Rewatch. Hill was very good. Every pass he threw was accurate except for the interception and i believe that was the play right after he was injured and his last pass of the game.

Other than that throw, he controlled the game, hit every receiver except one that ran the wrong route and overthrew Quick on an 8 man blitz where it appeared to me he was throwing it away without drawing the intentional grounding call.

After studying Hill's only play time again, I'm 100% sure this is the right move. Dude was very good.

I wasn't knocking his play. I was just pointing out that coincidentally both QB's have thrown the same pass and been picked off. But I did rewatch the play just to be sure. Very similar plays. Both Qb's were flushed and ran to their right then made bad throws into coverage. Hill had a little more on his throw.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I wasn't knocking his play. I was just pointing out that coincidentally both QB's have thrown the same pass and been picked off. But I did rewatch the play just to be sure. Very similar plays. Both Qb's were flushed and ran to their right then made bad throws into coverage. Hill had a little more on his throw.

And the defender made a hell of a catch too.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had a concern about Davis arm strength from the beginning, thought that his throws outside the hash, outs to the sideline, took awhile to get there, and were begging to be pick 6'd
Coincidentally, it seemed like he started to struggle when those routes were taken out of the game plan.
Now with Hill, and I havent seen enough of him to say, does he have the arm strength to make that throw?
As someone else alluded to, whether it was result of the injury or not, thats the throw that got picked vs Minnesota

Walter

Rookie
And that's a legitimate POV, I don't blame Fisher for making a change if he thinks it is what is indicated , I do blame him for laying the trap for himself he did TWICE.
IMO if you want wiggle room you have to create it and two times he has left himself none and yeah I'm not unaware that coaches say things they don't fully believe are true to set a players fears at ease / take pressure off them.
I'm not advocating any of the we must fire this guy stuff,but my confidence in the ability to put stock in what he says has to change , and I don't for an instant believe Fisher doesn't now has two QB's if those same words come out of his mouth will KNOW it's just a temporary expression and has no meaning beyond that moment , I am surprised that a coach with as much experience as Fisher has ,he is still capable of painting himself in a corner that way.
Hill may come in and play outstanding football,OTOH he is going up against a team that played in the SB last year that is far better on defense than they were last year and I would not be at all surprised to see Davis finish the game .

I will watch and hope for the best but we are facing not just an offensive juggernaut but a defense some believe is as good as their offense .
I have no idea which of our QB's really does give us the best chance to win this game , but I do know which one I would bet real money had the better chance to withstand the punishment that defense can inflict .

I don't doubt the coaches have all said "if we lose this game 9-7 is the best we can get to so mathematically the season is dependent upon winning 6 straight " I can't in my most optimistic moments expect 6 straight.
SO for all intents and purposes winning this game is a must .
I have always picked the Rams in my picks because I've never wanted to be in the position to have a rooting interest in them losing . Won't start now
I agree with and share your optimism weekly. I always thought Fischer painted himself in a corner regarding the quarterback. That is in regards to Bradfords health and plan for a backup. This will of course be a difficult week,

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He's admitted he's played poorly many times. This week I didn't read his press except to notice he said he wasn't keeping his eyes downfield.
He's admitted that he has played poorly in specific games, just like I hope Hill would if he had. That's all. That doesn't make my opinion that he's still the better option overall hard to support.

Why would you believe Fisher after the wink and QB change after saying he was starting Hill?
Fisher's credibility with me isn't completely shot, but his mishandling of this didn't help.

That said, I'm sure he's sleeping just fine on his mattress full of money without caring what some jerk named Boffo thinks. ;)

Rambition

Rookie
In other words, under thrown ball when under pressure. Same as AD. I agree that we need to change, and that Hill is the better option Sunday, but let's not start excusing things already. Hill did throw an awful int, plain and simple.
didn't see them as all that similar; guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the hill interception. at any rate, here's hoping hill has a solid game and the rams upset the broncos at home.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I can't believe that ppl are ragging on Fisher for changing course. What would have been irresponsible would have been to refuse to continue to evaluate the position. You don't make the decision for the week 10 starting anything in week 3.
didn't see them as all that similar; guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the hill interceptionI. at any rate, here's hoping hill has a solid game and the rams upset the broncos at home.

Couldn't figure blue font....count me stipido.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My point is, we don't know anything that happened except Fisher decided to make a change for some reason. I tend to think that whatever that reason is, his goal is to better the team.
At the end of the day, This^ is all that matters! I don't want a coach that's afraid to make a change when necessary! Fisher has never been that type of coach!!

lasvegasrams

Rookie
This move proves we are picking a QB in the draft in the top two rounds. Austin Davis is not our future. That's what this move says to me.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Side point: If I were Fisher I'd have Keenum dressed and ready to play in case Hill goes down. There is no sense in going back to A Davis as a starter, ever.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

I have really only read people rag on Fisher telling the kid he wouldn't have to look over his shoulder. For me it's not about the change it's about blowing smoke up a players ass. If he is not confident in a player enough to stick with them through thick and thin. Maybe he shouldn't tell them he is.

I don't have a problem with the decision that Hill gives the Rams a better chance at winning otherwise.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Side point: If I were Fisher I'd have Keenum dressed and ready to play in case Hill goes down. There is no sense in going back to A Davis as a starter, ever.
I truly doubt Davis is being demoted to third string. If Fisher has lost THAT much faith in him, they might as well cut him. I don't think that's the case.

The way Fisher did this IS going to come back to bite him if they have to put Davis back in though, whether it's because Hill is hurt or sucks worse.