Hav Was at RT today, Brown at RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think they wanted to take a long look at Brown at RT because of his feet. He's got pretty good feet so I understand why they went that route.

That said I do think a lot of people here were big fans of Hav from day one and the way he played his rookie season. Felt all along his injury last year set him up for problems, but you know the way I look at it I trust this staff to find that best mix. It might still end up being Brown outside, so whatever.

For myself, I really like Brown and Havenstein next to each other on the right side. I think once they settle in it's going to be a really nice look for us.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Well....a couple of things..

as someone pointed out..the move of Hav to guard was initially done to move Robinson to RT... with Robinson gone.. right now maybe Hav is the better option at RT.... Jamon Brown did not play well last year..and really.... for how long has Jamon played well in the NFL period.... a couple games??

one thing I'd like to see... I know they like Eldrenkamp.... he's a solid option as a back up center..but lets look at him at RG too...

don't be surprised if when we start playing preseason game.... one of these other guys take Brown or maybe even Hav's job...

and we need to look at the waiver wire too...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
GASP!

One of the best pass rush duo's in the NFL had a good scrimmage against our right side of the OLine when they can't go full tilt blocking? Truly something to crap our pants about :)

TexasRam

Legend
I like a coach that can quickly make adjustments when something doesn't work. It takes humility and a commitment to getting things right.

I said it from the beginning. Brown wont be able to play tackle at the NFL level. Switching him there was just a bad idea. But at least they are not being stubborn and quickly moving to plan B.

At the end of the day, we are a guard short of a good pass blocking line.

I said in the offseason that we need 3 new offensive lineman. They got 2. If Sully and Whitty hold up we should be fine. But that RG spot is going to be problematic and I don't base that off one scrimmage, Brown has graded out pretty poorly in his time with the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Ingram seem to come in over the guards, however, he did line up on the right side quite often so maybe McVay saw enough and wants Havenstein back at RT. Seems Brown always seem to struggle with pass protection and that is why I was shocked he was being considered at Tackle.

Not surprising. We have seen Brown struggle in pass protection for two years now. I couldn't believe that so many here were behind the decision.

Maybe we should call him little GRob.

I know it is not fair to him but Fisher raised the expectations for Brown calling him a future All Pro at guard.

Again, another athlete that doesn't have a football brain. I ultimately blame Fisher, but I would love to know Boudreau's input too.

So that 'all in' Oline draft was pretty much a bust, if they think Havenstein wasn't good at ORT, and Brown isn't either then they didn't get a true starter from the bunch, unless Rob moves back inside eventually, when Brown is replaced. The drafting for the offensive side of the ball is a mirror image of Fisher's offensive knowledge. Now, I am really hoping that rumors of Fisher being forced to draft Goff are true.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The article clearly states that the bulk of the Ingram/Bosa rush was from the Whit/Saffold side of the line. Should we get rid of them? Honestly, I like Hav at RT better than Brown. I was confused when they made that switch originally.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that we should take a deep breath. At least some of us. Lol.

Look, we've got one of the premier OL coaches in the game.

He's tinkering in camp. Alert the media!

I was surprised at the initial flip of Hav and JB, too. But Kromer has forgotten more about OL player development than I'll ever know. Plus, he sees the practices, the meetings, the look in the player's eye, etc.

I have confidence that our RG position will be at least adequate this season, one way or another. Kromer has proven his abilities time and again and this season will be no different.

Asst coaches like Kromer and Wade are worth their weight in gold. Situations like this are where they earn their money. This new coaching staff is competent. We're not used to that, are we?

I recommend trying to relax and just observe how Kromer handles this.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brown has not been good in two years.
Not good in the left side or the right side.
Not good preseason.
Not good in regular season.
So, here we are. I, of course, am pulling for the guy but he had 100 miles to go to be a passable lineman. It's why I suggested Austin Howard after he was cut. Old and injured, yes, but at least he has shown an ability to play solid RT at times.
I think the staff needs to commit in regards to Hav. He either the RG....which likely means finding a RT or move him to RT and find a RG.
Either way commit a position to him and work him up.
Guys can improve but so far their (Snisher) O line draft has been a total bomb.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donnal isn't practicing right now per McVay and is expected to be out at least a week.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
That is interesting.
I have always thought the O-Line should be Whitworth - Saffold - Sullivan - Brown and Havenstein anyway! And it might even be better IF they flipped Saffold and Brown!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
the Rams switched up their line and flipped Jamon Brown, who went to right guard, and Rob Havenstein, who went to right tackle. Coach Sean McVay indicated the Rams would explore that new look at practices throughout this week.

“Just like we always do, we’re really just trying to figure out the best combination, in terms of how we want to do things,” Coach Sean McVay said after practice. “I think we feel really good about what Jamon and Rob have done on that right side, but with Rob’s history playing tackle and Jamon’s history playing guard, we also want to have contingency plans in place, if one of them were to go down.”
I guess this^^ pretty much explains everything! It sounds like just a temporary switch, maybe!(y);):D

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure the coaching staff looked at big Rob's tape last year and weren't impressed. Hopefully last year was injury-related and Hav can get back to his rookie form at RT. I don't believe he was ever a fit at guard... too tall and too slow. And why aren't Donnal and Cody Wichmann in this mix for starting guard and tackle? We drafted FOUR o-lineman in the same year and none of them can start? I believe Donnal is hurt at the moment, but what a terrible draft!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I have always thought the O-Line should be Whitworth - Saffold - Sullivan - Brown and Havenstein anyway! And it might even be better IF they flipped Saffold and Brown!
I've thought of that as well.
I'll trust Kromer on this, though.
I rely like the reports about the coaching that's being done by Kromer, Wit and Sullivan. There's reason for optimism.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I'm sure the coaching staff looked at big Rob's tape last year and weren't impressed. Hopefully last year was injury-related and Hav can get back to his rookie form at RT. I don't believe he was ever a fit at guard... too tall and too slow. And why aren't Donnal and Cody Wichmann in this mix for starting guard and tackle? We drafted FOUR o-lineman in the same year and none of them can start? I believe Donnal is hurt at the moment, but what a terrible draft!

Umm, both Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown are the starters. The other 2 are depth guys. It's pretty status quo.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I was thinking "uh oh" too, but McVay said it was part of the plan all along to try switching them back, not a response to the Chargers' scrimmage. I'm really hoping someone of quality gets cut by another team before the season starts, hopefully a vertical (or big randy target) receiver too but that's less likely.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Maybe we should call him, (Brown) little GRob.

Why would you want to insult the man like that?

And he was simply a third-round project that they felt they could convert to Guard.
He was also not the second pick in the entire draft where we passed on Lewan and Matthews.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Don't you think some of are overreacting? Calling Him Little Grob, or already presuming he's a failure. They haven't even played a game yet. Teams switch up their config all the time, like coach said. It's a contingency plan. So please put down your drinks and take a breather fellas.