Hav Was at RT today, Brown at RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Havenstien was a really good RT as a rookie and struggled last year due to injuries. I don't understand why they didn't plug him at RT immediately and let him get back to rookie form. I understand they were going to move Robinson to RT, but at least Havenstien produced in the league. Why bump him for an unproven Robinson? The good news is it appears they smartly reversed it and in enough time to build chemistry, unlike Fisher who changed the OGs right before the season.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
One thing I've noticed about Pace Murray Murphy.

For every year of his career, High School, Small college, UDFA, to making our final 53.

HE HAS ALWAYS EXCEEDED EXPECTATIONS.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Its Friday now & it appears since the changing of the Goff Guard last Saturday on the right side of the OL where Havenstein & Brown exchanged working posts.....late yesterday our HC stated this change was still under review ........

The old Ram fan thinks this change appears to be trending from questionable to probable that Rob Havenstein will be our starting RT & Jamon Brown will be our RG. Anyone else see this trending differently? Baring any injury of course.:bueller:

If I said from all of the reports thus far...... that Rob Havenstein looks to be able to perform & can play both RG & RT posts efficiently . I have seen no negative reports of big Rob having the problems here...its Jamon Brown. ;) am I right or wrong?

Big Rob may be a very good RG as Kromer first saw it & planned but the current problem is ongoing @ RT where Jamon has been working. Is Jamon the weak link here in our OL? Or is Jamon a much better NFL OG than RT? If a better RT gets healthy lets say like Donnal or Murphy will Havenstein return to RG? or remain @ RT?

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Greg's issues were penalties.
Yes, that was ONE of his problems.

It shows a lack of concentration and an inability to learn and just general brain farts.

Another one of his problems was his uncanny ability to imitate a subway turnstile.

Meanwhile the two tackles they didn't take, Matthews and Lewan, are rated by most pundits as top 10 tackles.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
(Darrell) Williams has to go for sure .
He really impressed Fisher and Boudreau in Camp but was injured almost immediately after coming off the bench.
Not good.

He may have looked good to Fisher and Boudreau because we are so thin at that position.

We are not as thin now. Especially talent-wise.

Yeah. I would call Darrell Williams a bubble player for sure.

Pace Murphy is my dark horse candidate. Donnal makes it, IMO.

If Williams stays healthy maybe he makes it to the practice squad. I think he's still eligible.

Thank goodness we aren't in the isolation we used to be with Fisher and the same old coordinators.

McVay already brought us Sullivan and Kromer is way more up on players in the league than Boudreau was.

If somebody falls in the final cuts from another team I think these guys will recognize that player and grab him if they could upgrade the thinness on our O line.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Its Friday now & it appears since the changing of the Goff Guard last Saturday on the right side of the OL where Havenstein & Brown exchanged working posts.....late yesterday our HC stated this change was still under review ........

The old Ram fan thinks this change appears to be trending from questionable to probable that Rob Havenstein will be our starting RT & Jamon Brown will be our RG. Anyone else see this trending differently? Baring any injury of course.:bueller:

If I said from all of the reports thus far...... that Rob Havenstein looks to be able to perform & can play both RG & RT posts efficiently . I have seen no negative reports of big Rob having the problems here...its Jamon Brown. ;) am I right or wrong?

Big Rob may be a very good RG as Kromer first saw it & planned but the current problem is ongoing @ RT where Jamon has been working. Is Jamon the weak link here in our OL? Or is Jamon a much better NFL OG than RT? If a better RT gets healthy lets say like Donnal or Murphy will Havenstein return to RG? or remain @ RT?
Personally, I'm betting that Havenstein returns to his Rookie form and plays great at RT!!(y);) JMHO

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Its Friday now...
.....Rob Havenstein will be our starting RT & Jamon Brown will be our RG. Anyone else see this trending differently? Baring any injury of course.:bueller:
I don't think that is just coach-speak that McVay mentioned that they want to try both of those players in those positions in case an injury happens.

The whole line may have to be reshuffled if Saffold or Whitworth are injured.

Nothing wrong with getting some tape on these guys in camp to see how they're moving at different positions.

They also have two healthy players to get tape on in Brown and Havenstein.

That was not the case last year as both of them were nicked up.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Meanwhile the two tackles they didn't take, Matthews and Lewan, are rated by most pundits as top 10 tackles.
I wanted the Rams to take Lewan. Not only is he a good player, which is the important factor, but I went to high school with his mom so I might have had an inside track to tickets! :sneaky:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't think that is just coach-speak that McVay mentioned that they want to try both of those players in those positions in case an injury happens.

The whole line may have to be reshuffled if Saffold or Whitworth are injured.

Nothing wrong with getting some tape on these guys in camp to see how they're moving at different positions.

They also have two healthy players to get tape on in Brown and Havenstein.

That was not the case last year as both of them were nicked up.
If we loose our starting LT for any length of time it would mandate two immediate changes in the OL Saffold would shift left to LT, there are no real prospects on this roster thus forcing a change in the starting LG. Pace Murphy & Andrew Donnal might be considered emergency game day back ups.

Kromer has a much better back up cadre @ LG. Cody Wichmann or Andrew Donnal would be ready to fill in with out too much of a drop off. Both are in their 3rd season with the Rams. Even back up OC Austin Blythe could fill in @ LG as an emergency game day reserve.

Fact is Kromer has assembled a large versatile OL unit here @ this time.As you pointed out Kromer has this versatility thing covered very well.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I wanted the Rams to take Lewan. Not only is he a good player, which is the important factor, but I went to high school with his mom so I might have had an inside track to tickets! :sneaky:
So. Answer the important question.

Was she hot?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
So just spitballing here;

The coaches have to come up with every contingency and also figure out who to make Gameday actives based on their ability to play different spots on the O-line.

One thing is I hope that Eldrenkamp can beat out Blythe, as Blythe seems to have hit his ceiling.

Yes. A injury to Whitworth would more than likely mean a shift of Saffold over to Left Tackle.

Kromer would then have to decide if it would be better to bring Brown in as the Left Guard or Havenstein.

Brown having played there before or Havenstein as the RG starter.

Personally I've always had a "next man up" philosophy on the O line to keep continuity.

Slide Saffold over and bring in Wichmann or Donnal at Left Guard.

Next man up on the right side as well.

I'm pretty sure they haven't figured out the right side entirely yet and with the injuries to Donnal, I'm pretty sure they haven't zeroed in on the backups yet either.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
So. Answer the important question.

Was she hot?

giphy.gif

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If we loose our starting LT for any length of time it would mandate two immediate changes in the OL Saffold would shift left to LT, there are no real prospects on this roster thus forcing a change in the starting LG. Pace Murphy & Andrew Donnal might be considered emergency game day back ups.

Kromer has a much better back up cadre @ LG. Cody Wichmann or Andrew Donnal would be ready to fill in with out too much of a drop off. Both are in their 3rd season with the Rams. Even back up OC Austin Blythe could fill in @ LG as an emergency game day reserve.

Fact is Kromer has assembled a large versatile OL unit here @ this time.As you pointed out Kromer has this versatility thing covered very well.

I think Kromer put Pace Murray at LT before moving Roger Saffold . Roger is not moving to a tackle position at all.In fact I think Donnal might even be the LT ?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think Kromer put Pace Murray at LT before moving Roger Saffold . Roger is not moving to a tackle position at all.In fact I think Donnal might even be the LT ?
If so that would be a very big change for Rodger. Rodger has been the back up LT since 2013 season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If so that would be a very big change for Rodger. Rodger has been the back up LT since 2013 season.

Hopefully we won't find out , but Roger Saffold I think is stay as a guard at this point with The Rams.