Hav Was at RT today, Brown at RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think that we should take a deep breath. At least some of us. Lol.

Look, we've got one of the premier OL coaches in the game.

He's tinkering in camp. Alert the media!

I was surprised at the initial flip of Hav and JB, too. But Kromer has forgotten more about OL player development than I'll ever know. Plus, he sees the practices, the meetings, the look in the player's eye, etc.

I have confidence that our RG position will be at least adequate this season, one way or another. Kromer has proven his abilities time and again and this season will be no different.

Asst coaches like Kromer and Wade are worth their weight in gold. Situations like this are where they earn their money. This new coaching staff is competent. We're not used to that, are we?

I recommend trying to relax and just observe how Kromer handles this.

For sure. This change is about depth. If you understood cross over where player have to learn other positions in case of injury. Plus your making sure that it is a true fit by changing them up. They have already done both anyways.

I think you will see different rotations , especially when preseason starts they will need different looks to see what they have moving forward.

This is just being proactive!!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One item of note: J. Brown at RG, Havenstein at RT

Ingram & Bosa gave Brown fits.
In what world was this not expected??? Two poor pass protectors....switch positions...and remain poor pass protectors. I knew the right side would look like hell....damn near get someone hurt....and neither of those guys is as good as G-Rob.

I'm generally critical of shuffling linemen out of their comfort zone
We've already seen the movie where Brown plays LG for weeks and the last rehearsal he's switched to RG....Man....And I don't care how much Kromer knows...if he's doing this shit, he's clueless. Brown is a guard at the NFL level...Havenstein can ONLY play RT.....again...I'm smarter than you syndrome at work.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
We've already seen the movie where Brown plays LG for weeks and the last rehearsal he's switched to RG....Man....And I don't care how much Kromer knows...if he's doing this crap, he's clueless. Brown is a guard at the NFL level...Havenstein can ONLY play RT.....again...I'm smarter than you syndrome at work.

I have to agree here. I really like Brown at G and Havenstein is fine at RT. I never understood moving Havenstein to RG. Forget the fact that its harder for Goff to see over him in the middle, but I never understood the reasons.....I heard the reasons, but I didnt understand it because I just dont see it.

You have to let go of the GRob stuff though lol. Although he showed some flashes last year he is not better than either Brown or Havenstein and the fact it appears he is not committed to his craft only makes the move of getting rid of him look better. He is having trouble beating out a guy who is coming back from hip surgery and the reviews out of Detroit have not been glowing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here is quite--
Brown said “cross training” at several positions gives the Rams flexibility.Havenstein agreed.

Me and Jamon are open to any way we can help,” Havenstein said.

Ram65

Legend
McVay said Sunday’s change had nothing to do with Saturday’s scrimmage, in which the Chargers’ defensive front had some success. In fact, most of that damage was done by Chargers defensive end Melvin Ingram, who lined up against the left side of the Rams’ line.

I wish this was verified 0ne way 0r the 0ther. Still not sure where Ingram lined up. If he was beating Whitford I think someone would have mentioned it earlier.

“Just like we always do, we’re really just trying to figure out the best combination, in terms of how we want to do things,” Coach Sean McVay said after practice. “I think we feel really good about what Jamon and Rob have done on that right side, but with Rob’s history playing tackle and Jamon’s history playing guard, we also want to have contingency plans in place, if one of them were to go down.”

Rams coach Sean McVay said he and the coaches have been talking about toying with a switch for the past week or so and wanted to wait until after Saturday's joint practice with the Los Angeles Chargers to implement it.

Let me be the first to ask.

McVay talks a good game but, does he give any real information?

It's a good idea to see what happens. Rookie year Hav was very good at RT. Still have five weeks to figure it out. There almost always seems to be injuries so why not be better prepared. Just weird timing after the Charger scrimmage.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You have to let go of the GRob stuff though lol. Although he showed some flashes last year he is not better than either Brown or Havenstein and the fact it appears he is not committed to his craft only makes the move of getting rid of him look better. He is having trouble beating out a guy who is coming back from hip surgery and the reviews out of Detroit have not been glowing.
Never....LOL

Here is quite--
Brown said “cross training” at several positions gives the Rams flexibility.Havenstein agreed.

Me and Jamon are open to any way we can help,” Havenstein said.
What are they supposed to say, this moving around sux for cohesion, continuity, and whatevers....coach is clueless....naw, you can't...you toe the company line and say you'll do whatever....

Moving players around isn't bad...moving young players that have struggled isn't the greatest either....let the guys get settled at their best positions...so they can perform to the best of their ability....or fuck around and get somebody hurt...like the QB

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yeah, Lamp is going to do very well this year.

So because Lamp got injured in the Chargers camp, the same thing would have happened the same way if he was drafted by us? Makes perfect sense

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Never....LOL

What are they supposed to say, this moving around sux for cohesion, continuity, and whatevers....coach is clueless....naw, you can't...you toe the company line and say you'll do whatever....

Moving players around isn't bad...moving young players that have struggled isn't the greatest either....let the guys get settled at their best positions...so they can perform to the best of their ability....or freak around and get somebody hurt...like the QB

I think your on the right page in one sense. Don't get the QB hurt.

I think in the preseason you might move guys around because of the lack of depth right now.
Big Rob was placed at RT last season game one with only a week to prepare .

It is night & day this season. Big Rob is going to be the man in the middle. He looks a lot better than Saffold.

--I'll add this as well. Jared Goff on his snap count was excellent. For a guy not taking many snaps from center, to giving a hard count was impressive . The Offensive didn't make there regular false starts , but to do just the opposite.
--For that Inthink the Offensive Line is in tacked together.
They are a very cohesive , unit that is only going to get better. It is not comfortable to change positions for sure , but better prepare for it know than later.
--Greg Robinson is lucky they only count to less than 3 . It's good to know the Offensive scheme inside & out. There are 4 preseason games left .

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So because Lamp got injured in the Chargers camp, the same thing would have happened the same way if he was drafted by us? Makes perfect sense

Well from what I saw both Gerald Everett & John Johnson look good.

Jamon Brown looked good as well. What did you see Saturday. I saw the Left side having the trouble against the Chargers.
Jamon Brown is holding his own.

--The best thing I saw on Saturday was Jared Goff & The OFFENSIVE Line stay discipline and draw the Chargers offsides. A far cry from years past !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I wish this was verified 0ne way 0r the 0ther. Still not sure where Ingram lined up. If he was beating Whitford I think someone would have mentioned it earlier.

Let me be the first to ask.

McVay talks a good game but, does he give any real information?

It's a good idea to see what happens. Rookie year Hav was very good at RT. Still have five weeks to figure it out. There almost always seems to be injuries so why not be better prepared. Just weird timing after the Charger scrimmage.

I Noticed Saffold & the 2nd team getting beat all day long. From my stand point , I though Jamon Brown did well.
Was surprised to hear Brown was getting beat at all ??

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Umm, both Rob Havenstein and Jamon Brown are the starters. The other 2 are depth guys. It's pretty status quo.

I understand, but I'm not sure we can label either of these guys "starters" at this point. Nor am I sure they would start on any other team. I'm still hopeful, however. And let's not forget Wichmann or Donnal either. My post was about all four o-lineman that were drafted that year.

HellRam

Starter
I was never a big Robinson fan but I always thought he would make a decent Guard, heck the best he ever played IMO was when he was playing Guard to start his rookie season. The Rams should have had GRob compete with Brown for that RG position. That said I do understand why the Rams moved on from him.

When its all said and done I think Hav will be RT come week 1. Hopefully he's back to his rookie year form only better.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I understand, but I'm not sure we can label either of these guys "starters" at this point. Nor am I sure they would start on any other team. I'm still hopeful, however. And let's not forget Wichmann or Donnal either. My post was about all four o-lineman that were drafted that year.

Considering they are starting on an NFL team, yeah I think that qualifies.

Both these guys dealt with injuries last year, but were decent as rookies.

2 starting linemen, 2 backing them up (as of now) all in the same class. Hopefully they all get better.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is anyone surprised when offensive rookies like Havenstein, Gurley, Austin, GRob etc...showed promise early on and then stagnated or in some cases disintegrated under Fisher's offensive staff? Not me.
It's been a pattern. Not a whole lot of offensive progression the last five years. Individually or otherwise.

I expect Havenstein to eventually start at RT and have a solid season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well these guys are starters, unless injury . It is very obvious Whit,Saffold,Sullivan,Brown,& Big Rob

I don't like Big Rob at RT at all . He stands up to straight in his stance. He is better in a power position.
Jamon Brown doesn't have the power , but has good balance

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

So because Lamp got injured, and the Rams have great luck with injuries, you think he wouldn't be injured if he was drafted by us? I can't even bring myself to sarcastically say that makes perfect sense.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
So because Lamp got injured, and the Rams have great luck with injuries, you think he wouldn't be injured if he was drafted by us? I can't even bring myself to sarcastically say that makes perfect sense.

Every player in the NFL has the high potential of being injured. Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, JJ Watt, Rob Gronkowski, Adrian Peterson, etc have all missed significant time to injury but that still doesn't make them bad draft decisions.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
It is night & day this season. Big Rob is going to be the man in the middle. He looks a lot better than Saffold.
hmmm....this is interesting.

Well from what I saw both Gerald Everett & John Johnson look good.

Jamon Brown looked good as well. What did you see Saturday. I saw the Left side having the trouble against the Chargers.
Jamon Brown is holding his own.
Only guy saying this...Not that your prospective is wrong....Just curious....Why would the left side, the most experienced side, have MORE trouble in a scrimmage? Did Whitworth play? Why would Jamon and Rob be switched one day after the scrimmage if they performed as you say?
I want to see how Rob Havenstein, Gerald Everett, and John Johnson perform on Saturday. I've always liked Saffold....sinceI saw him pregame in Arizona....one of our leaders in 2012...loud guy...boisterous...rah-rah type. Grown ass man....power player...of all the lineman, I'm least concerned about him.