Hav Was at RT today, Brown at RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rich Hammond‏Verified Rich_Hammond

Basically just a walk-thru practice for Rams today. Many veterans didn't participate. One item of note: J. Brown at RG, Havenstein at RT

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ingram & Bosa gave Brown fits.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Curious to know how both of them handled it mentally. I'm generally critical of shuffling linemen out of their comfort zone after Boudreau/Fisher's fiasco but I have faith that this staff knows what they're doing in terms of O-line development

Ram65

Legend
I was going to say "Wow"

We will have to find out more before making judgement. On a day of practice like today they could just be messing around.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I was going to say "Wow"

We will have to find out more before making judgement. On a day of practice like today they could just be messing around.

McVay said they already had this in place last week. From depth & seeing what might be the best fit. He called it a contingency plan .

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Abbott.jpg

"I thought you said Havensteins at Guard and Browns at Tackle?!! Who's at Center?"

"Sully's at center. Rogers at guard..."

"But you said Brown is at guard!!"

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ingram seem to come in over the guards, however, he did line up on the right side quite often so maybe McVay saw enough and wants Havenstein back at RT. Seems Brown always seem to struggle with pass protection and that is why I was shocked he was being considered at Tackle.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Posted this in another thread from the chargers reporter

Eric D. Williams ESPN Staff Writer
I don't know if the Rams blocked Melvin Ingram one time today.

He must have been correct with the moving of Hav and Brown today.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
AR-170809614.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Offensive line coach Aaron Kramer leads his squad across the field during the Los Angeles Rams' training camp at UCI in Irvine, CA on Tuesday, August 1, 2017. (Photo by Kevin Sullivan, Orange County Register/SCNG)

Rams may make changes to offensive line

By Rich Hammond,

IRVINE >> For most of the offseason, the Rams believed they had discovered the correct mix on their offensive line. Now, with less than five weeks until the regular-season opener, they want to verify.

In a brief, breezy practice Sunday afternoon at UC Irvine, the Rams switched up their line and flipped Jamon Brown, who went to right guard, and Rob Havenstein, who went to right tackle. Coach Sean McVay indicated the Rams would explore that new look at practices throughout this week.

“Just like we always do, we’re really just trying to figure out the best combination, in terms of how we want to do things,” Coach Sean McVay said after practice. “I think we feel really good about what Jamon and Rob have done on that right side, but with Rob’s history playing tackle and Jamon’s history playing guard, we also want to have contingency plans in place, if one of them were to go down.”

It’s not really a new look. Brown and Havenstein have played the bulk of their respective NFL careers at guard and tackle, respectively, and in one of the Rams’ most productive offensive games last season, at Detroit, they started next to each other in those roles.

It is, however, a departure from the Rams’ offseason program, when things appeared to be settled.

The first domino fell in March, when the Rams signed veteran left tackle Andrew Whitworth. That sent oft-maligned Greg Robinson to right tackle, which sent Havenstein to right guard.

Then, after the Rams demoted (and later traded) Robinson, they moved Brown, a former part-time starter at guard, to right tackle. It was a curious choice, given that Havenstein had thrived at right tackle as a rookie in 2015, but the Rams seemed pleased with the development of both players at new positions.

There’s a chance that this only is a short-term experiment, but given that the Rams open their preseason schedule Saturday against Dallas at the Coliseum, it’s an interesting time to experiment. The Rams practice Monday, have an off day Tuesday, then scrimmage against the Chargers on Wednesday.

“This was something we had talked about as a staff last week,” McVay said. “We just didn’t want to make that move before the practice (against the Chargers on Saturday), but I think we’ll get an opportunity over the next couple days to explore those guys playing guard and tackle, and see how they do when we practice against the Chargers on Wednesday.

“So I think it will give us an opportunity, as we’re moving closer to the season, to find that best mix.”

The Rams certainly need some continuity and stability before their Sept. 10 season opener against Indianapolis. The middle and left side of the line seem settled, with Whitworth, left guard Rodger Saffold and center John Sullivan,

McVay said Sunday’s change had nothing to do with Saturday’s scrimmage, in which the Chargers’ defensive front had some success. In fact, most of that damage was done by Chargers defensive end Melvin Ingram, who lined up against the left side of the Rams’ line.

“They have a lot of good rushers,” McVay said of the Chargers. “The biggest thing is, now that we’ve seen a few things they do, we’re ready to adjust if they give us the same thing (on Wednesday). I think it was a great opportunity to test some of our guys up front, with the way that they attacked us, and it was great to go up against a different defense and discuss some things.”

[www.dailynews.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams still tweaking right side of offensive line

Alden Gonzalez

IRVINE, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Rams, less than a week away from their first preseason game, are experimenting with the makeup of their offensive line. Rob Havenstein has spent almost the entire offseason transitioning to right guard, with Jamon Brown seemingly locking down the job as the starting right tackle near the end of the offseason program. But Havenstein and Brown switched positions during a light practice from UC Irvine on Sunday, each of them returning to the spots they played most frequently in the NFL.

Rams coach Sean McVay said he and the coaches have been talking about toying with a switch for the past week or so and wanted to wait until after Saturday's joint practice with the Los Angeles Chargers to implement it.

They'll test it out for another day or two, with no promises thereafter.

"We’re just trying to figure out the right combination in terms of how we want to do things," McVay said. "I think we feel really good about what Jamon and Rob have done in that right side, but with Rob’s history playing tackle and Jamon’s history playing guard, [we] also want to have contingency plans in place if one of them were to go down."

Brown, listed at 6-foot-4 and 330 pounds, played both tackle positions at Louisville, but was used mostly as a guard by former coach Jeff Fisher in his first two years in the NFL. Havenstein, 6-foot-8 and 328 pounds, was a right tackle at Wisconsin and in his first two years in the NFL, performing a lot better as a rookie than he did as a second-year player.

Havenstein's move to guard was initially made at least in part to accommodate Greg Robinson, who was moving from left tackle to right tackle after the acquisition of Andrew Whitworth. Robinson was ultimately dealt to the Lions for a 2018 sixth-round pick, but Havenstein remained at right guard and Brown continued to get first-team snaps at right tackle -- until Sunday.

"We’re just continuing to find whatever that best mix is for our five guys up front," McVay said. "Really, with the exception of [left guard Rodger Saffold], [center John Sullivan] and Whitworth, [the left tackle], all those guys are kind of moving around as we continue to find the best way to get those five coordinating up front.”

[www.espn.com]

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Makes me wish we drafted Forrest Lamp. Brown sounds completely incompetent in pass protection. Fingers crossed he will stabilize at some point.

bdfitz

UDFA
sounds like they found out both can run block from either position and neither pass pass block worth shite..oh great

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
sounds like they found out both can run block from either position and neither pass pass block worth shite..oh great
Havenstein was injured in 2016 but prior to that in 2015 allowed one quarterback pressure from his Right Tackle position.

When Havenstein is healthy he's a very good pass blocker.

Brown is not a bad pass blocker at Guard in my opinion but has been inconsistent possibly due to his injury history there as well.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Ingram and Bosa give everybody fits.

I think Brown could still get in the groove at RT.

I didn't see this thread until after I posted on the TC thread, but I would like to reiterate here that Brown did not look good (to my untrained eye at least) during the pre season games last year. Of course he followed that up w/ a bad season but since everybody was bad last year, I'm not gonna rail on him that much. I remember him playing a great 1rst game in the opener vs Seattle in 2015, but he got hurt about midway thru the season and has not really impressed that much since.

Havs, OTOH, had a stellar rookie season by not committing a single penalty or allowing a single sack. Health was an issue for him last year I believe so I'm giving him a mulligan.