Hav Was at RT today, Brown at RG

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I expect Havenstein to eventually start at RT and have a solid season.
I completely agree! Some people seem to forget, ( if I remember correctly) I think Havenstein gave up maybe one sack his entire rookie year, there has to be some talent there!!(y);):D

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Is anyone surprised when offensive rookies like Havenstein, Gurley, Austin, GRob etc...showed promise early on and then stagnated or in some cases disintegrated under Fisher's offensive staff? Not me.
It's been a pattern. Not a whole lot of offensive progression the last five years. Individually or otherwise.

I expect Havenstein to eventually start at RT and have a solid season.

Rob was dealing with injuries.

Tavon improved every year in total production. Last season was weird when everyone underperformed.

Greg's issues were penalties.

I think TGII got a little ego last year. It's shows with how he's approaching this season vs. last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only guy saying this...Not that your prospective is wrong....Just curious....Why would the left side, the most experienced side, have MORE trouble in a scrimmage? Did Whitworth play? Why would Jamon and Rob be switched one day after the scrimmage if they performed as you say?
I want to see how Rob Havenstein, Gerald Everett, and John Johnson perform on Saturday. I've always liked Saffold....sinceI saw him pregame in Arizona....one of our leaders in 2012...loud guy...boisterous...rah-rah type. Grown ass man....power player...of all the lineman, I'm least concerned about him.

My question is whether the Chargers were running stunts and gap blitzes/looks. Doing that would probably have exceeded what these guys have experienced so far in camp in this scheme. Also McVay mentioned they would be ready on Weds to handle some of the things the Chargers were doing. Just never heard anyone in the media ask that obvious follow-on question as to WHAT the Chargers did that they needed to adjust to.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
hmmm....this is interesting.

Only guy saying this...Not that your prospective is wrong....Just curious....Why would the left side, the most experienced side, have MORE trouble in a scrimmage? Did Whitworth play? Why would Jamon and Rob be switched one day after the scrimmage if they performed as you say?
I want to see how Rob Havenstein, Gerald Everett, and John Johnson perform on Saturday. I've always liked Saffold....sinceI saw him pregame in Arizona....one of our leaders in 2012...loud guy...boisterous...rah-rah type. Grown ass man....power player...of all the lineman, I'm least concerned about him.

Well I went to practice yesterday. I watched the offensive line first. Pace Murray looks like a keeper. Didn't see Donnal which has stood out at the lack of depth there.
Brown is not real strong with his legs.He has a heck of a left punch though. I seriously think he is a better fit at RT. --The reason is he has quick feet. He has a good grip & won't get called for holding. He is smart off the ball & won't be bull rushed from outside.
Roger Saffold just needs adjustments. They were going against Ingram & Bosa I believe ?? He just had a tough last few reps at the end. -- Innthe 2 minute drill The Rams looked real sharp.

Everett has man hands !! He caught a ball with a defender draped all over him.
He kept in bounds as well. He was catching the ball all over the place.
--Saturday Higbee missed a couple passes. He heard it from me.I know that.
Truth though is he is working hard & getting better each day. He was making plays at the end of Saturday & again yesterday. He looks solid. Everett is going to be a weapon for sure.

I don't like Big Rob as a tackle . He stands up to straight out there. He is a power guy that has a real nice stance at guard. McVay is just dotting his i's & crossing his T's . It was already in place as he says.Cross training as you could say.
These 5 guys are the starters. Sullivan can hit. He real can pack a punch. A veteran leader. Saffold & Whit are studs.
Your right about Saffold he was all business yesterday. Looks really good. He will do a lot better Wednesday against the Chargers.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess was Bosa and Ingram were lined up over
-----------Whitworth and Saffold ----------- like this

Bosa and Ingram probably both abused ate Saffold for lunch heads up or on stunts.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That's good to hear about Pace Murphy.....I still remember Williams almost getting some QB killed...Like he wasn't even trying.
Brown is not real strong with his legs.
I thought Brown looked terrible last season...after all the hype of his first year...I also thought a guy I liked, Wichman, played awful too. I don't know what happened but I assumed those two had decent to above average power in their lower bodies....Then all the plays with them getting ran over...knocked down...some times on their backs....sheesh.
I don't like Big Rob as a tackle . He stands up to straight out there.
Big Rob is another guy that just made me lose all faith in keeping our QB healthy....again...on the ground too much...getting blown back...His position is more critical at RT since it's a direct line to the QB's throwing arm....in his line of sight. It's the main reason I didn't see the need to trade G-Rob B4 putting on pads....Maybe we can grab Brandon Albert with NO MONEY$$$$$$ ahahahahahahahahaha!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some of the earlier OL plans have not worked out as expected. Not a real big issue for me when we have a Kromer instead of a Boudreau. I never thought this proposed original OL lineup was set. More time Kromer has with OL cadre he will figure it out.

Initially way before the OTA's began there were several OL moves planned besides the main additions of 2 former All Pro caliber OL'ers LT/OC being signed.

#1-3rd yr starter @ LT being flipped to starting RT.
#2-2nd yr starter @ RT being moved inside to starting RG.
#3-2nd yr starter @ RG Cody Wichmann demoted to reserve depth OG posts.
#4-Open competition for the OC post between 4 OL'ers (Sullivan/Rhaney/Blythe/Eldrenkamp).

The #1 "Flipping Plan"of GRob to start @ RT failed. Not Kromer's fault that was all on GRob!o_O Rams made the very best decison in this matter & it appears to be a very good one(y). Now this loss of a planned RT did have an effect on the RT reserves. The top reserve RT Andrew Donnal injury/surgery late last season while starting @ RT has spent this off season in a rehabbing event. Thus in OTA's Jamon Brown step in the vacancy. The the recent knee injury last week will continue to keep AD out of practice @ the RT post. Not Kromer's fault here either.

Now #2 we have Kromer looking @ a fix this week & has moved into a fall back plan of looking @ our 2015/2016 RT starter Havenstein back @ RT with Brown getting a look see back in RG post where Brown has had failed previously to win a starting position. This insert Brown back into competition with #3 Cody Wichmann. Wichmann has ended up being our starter his first 2 season over Brown. #4 plan has worked up well enough.

Do not underestimated Pace Murphy getting a chance @ RT post.

nighttrain

Legend
Bonifay said,
"Now #2 we have Kromer looking @ a fix this week & has moved into a fall back plan of looking @ our 2015/2016 RT starter Havenstein back @ RT with Brown getting a look see back in RG post where Brown has had failed previously to win a starting position. This insert Brown back into competition with #3 Cody Wichmann. Wichmann has ended up being our starter his first 2 season over Brown. #4 plan has worked up well enough.

Do not underestimated Pace Murphy getting a chance @ RT post."

really like these last two
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay said,
"Now #2 we have Kromer looking @ a fix this week & has moved into a fall back plan of looking @ our 2015/2016 RT starter Havenstein back @ RT with Brown getting a look see back in RG post where Brown has had failed previously to win a starting position. This insert Brown back into competition with #3 Cody Wichmann. Wichmann has ended up being our starter his first 2 season over Brown. #4 plan has worked up well enough.

Do not underestimated Pace Murphy getting a chance @ RT post."

really like these last two
train
Me too:D. College 4.0 GPA! Last season this was the open headline on Pace Murphy..... "serious underdog case"
"Pace Murphy, assuming he is actually a real person, is going to need a miracle to break Jeff Fisher's mean/strong mold for offensive linemen".

Pace Murphy was given zero (0) chance to make the roster....not much was said around here as he quickly by passed OT Darrell Williams & OT Isaiah Battle in TC. Pace saw action in the Rams offense in the finale two games of 2016 @ RT. Saw extensive action in game #16 against AZ. Murphy's performance was better that the rest of the OL in that game. Bottom line was he show'd out as a classy very clean technician.

Time will tell but he may well be able to play all five OL positions.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Some of the earlier OL plans have not worked out as expected. Not a real big issue for me when we have a Kromer instead of a Boudreau. I never thought this proposed original OL lineup was set. More time Kromer has with OL cadre he will figure it out.
Buffalo Bills/Aaron Kromer run game was the league's best for 2 straight years (2015-2016) . It's one thing to lead the league in rushing, but to do it in back-to-back ... Only two other teams have pulled it off in the last 20 years

fearsomefour

Legend
Rob was dealing with injuries.

Tavon improved every year in total production. Last season was weird when everyone underperformed.

Greg's issues were penalties.

I think TGII got a little ego last year. It's shows with how he's approaching this season vs. last year.
In his best year, year before last I believe, Tavon (including kicks) averaged a score every 10 touches.....and had several kicks called back on flags.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
In his best year, year before last I believe, Tavon (including kicks) averaged a score every 10 touches.....and had several kicks called back on flags.

Yup, he had some offensive plays called because of flags too.

But, but...contract. Let's trade him.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I have always thought the O-Line should be Whitworth - Saffold - Sullivan - Brown and Havenstein anyway! And it might even be better IF they flipped Saffold and Brown!

I thought Saffold played his best ball at RG. Havs and Saffold on the right side could be a solid combo while the LG has the opportunity to develop and learn while playing between 2 solid vets. If I had to coach up the weaker guard, I'd sure as heck want him next to Whitworth over anybody else on this roster.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I thought Saffold played his best ball at RG. Havs and Saffold on the right side could be a solid combo while the LG has the opportunity to develop and learn while playing between 2 solid vets. If I had to coach up the weaker guard, I'd sure as heck want him next to Whitworth over anybody else on this roster.
Saffold can play both OT & OG posts if need be. I prefer Saffold @ LG due to the larger vacancy behind Andrew Whitworth. If Whitworth goes down who will protect the blind side of Goff? I am not an advocate of Saffold @ RG. RS can also play RT like he did all OTA/TC & pre season last season. I know for a fact it's best @ this time to keep RS left & prepared just in case...playing next to AW will help with that. We have read that Kromer has been getting the reserve OT's (Murphy/ Donnal/ Williams) plenty of reps @ LT post when they give AW a day off.
Could Pace Murray (over Donnal) fit as a swing tackle?
Murphy might end up being a better swing OT than Donnal. However Donnal has NFL starting experience @ LG/RG/RT over the last 2 seasons & is better playing on the right side.

I do not see Murphy as a future LT in the NFL. But he might be our only & best @ swinging OT @ this time. With the tinkering ongoing still on the right side I would keep Donnal ready to be inserted @ either of those 2 right side posts if needed first. As discussed last month here....the Rams will have to make a serious investment in a legit future LT in the 2018 draft!

I see our reserve OL'ers this way: #6- Andrew Donnal RT/RG/LG, #7- Pace Murphy LT/RT, #8- Cody Wichmann LG/RG, #9-Austin Blythe OC #10- Jake Eldrenkamp OC/LG

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Could Pace Murray (over Donnal) fit as a swing tackle?

I think they both make it
Saffold can play both OT & OG posts if need be. I prefer Saffold @ LG due to the larger vacancy behind Andrew Whitworth. If Whitworth goes down who will protect the blind side of Goff? I am not an advocate of Saffold @ RG. RS can also play RT like he did all OTA/TC & pre season last season. I know for a fact it's best @ this time to keep RS left & prepared just in case...playing next to AW will help with that. We have read that Kromer has been getting the reserve OT's (Murphy/ Donnal/ Williams) plenty of reps @ LT post when they give AW a day off.
Murphy might end up being a better swing OT than Donnal. However Donnal has NFL starting experience @ LG/RG/RT over the last 2 seasons & is better playing on the right side.

I do not see Murphy as a future LT in the NFL. But he might be our only & best @ swinging OT @ this time. With the tinkering ongoing still on the right side I would keep Donnal ready to be inserted @ either of those 2 right side posts if needed first. As discussed last month here....the Rams will have to make a serious investment in a legit future LT in the 2018 draft!

I see our reserve OL'ers this way: #6- Andrew Donnal RT/RG/LG, #7- Pace Murphy LT/RT, #8- Cody Wichmann LG/RG, #9-Austin Blythe OC #10- Jake Eldrenkamp OC/LG

Bonifay - you've always had a good grasp on the offensive line.

I totally agree with you. Right now I think The Rams are hurting depth wise.

The Starting 5 are already in place , however that will look like. I actually think Kromer has it right with Jamon Brown at RT. After Monday's practice I'm really impressed by John Sullivan, Roger Saffold place in between He & Whit is cool.

Donnal I don't think practiced ? Pace Murray had his left side wrapped up a bit ? Looks like he is playing through a shoulder injury. Whichmann has experience.Those 2 centers seem to be the only else worth anything.

Blythe doesn't stand out.
Eldrenkamp looks good.
Alex Kozan or Michael Dunn??
Williams has to go for sure .

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think they both make it Bonifay - you've always had a good grasp on the offensive line. I totally agree with you. Right now I think The Rams are hurting depth wise.
The Starting 5 are already in place , however that will look like. I actually think Kromer has it right with Jamon Brown at RT. After Monday's practice I'm really impressed by John Sullivan, Roger Saffold place in between He & Whit is cool.
Donnal I don't think practiced ? Pace Murray had his left side wrapped up a bit ? Looks like he is playing through a shoulder injury. Whichmann has experience.Those 2 centers seem to be the only else worth anything.

Blythe doesn't stand out.
Eldrenkamp looks good.
Alex Kozan or Michael Dunn??
Williams has to go for sure .
Thanks, I do try to hold up my daily assignment here in ROD land:LOL:.

Your such a lucky fan being able to see with your own eyes just what is going on with this OL up close. Thus far this early season all I can do is digest what I get from reading the reports posted by my wonderful fellow Ram fans. I will have to rely on what others see...as I know from experience each of us see things differently. My big opportunity comes with Saturdays first pre season game. to see just whats happening in that OL. I understand your concern over the OL depth. Rams moved a lot of OL'ers around in this OL in the off season.

Rams & Kromer sent/ dispersed 2 former young starters (Barnes/GRob). In addition Rams did the same to 2 reserves before TC began (Rhaney/Arkin). That's four OL'ers gone & its depth bench there. 1 was entering his 6th season 2 others were entering their 4th & the last had been in & around the NFL for 4 yrs. Around 15 yrs worth of some type of NFl experience. Rams replaced these four with 5 OL'ers only 1 of them has any NFL experience & that's Blythe. The other 4 are UDFA rookies with zero experience.

Hindsight, I feel positive about 3 of the OL'er sent packing. However I was always against the Tim Barnes release. He was never a favorite here. Barnes was signed by the 9ers. I have continued to follow Barnes & he began TC as the #4 depth but has already past former Ravens center Jeremy Zuttah & moved up the depth charts @ OG posts too. We will see if he can overtake 1st team Daniel Kilgore.

I posted earlier that this team would not have done this if they were not very pleased with the core reserve cadre unit which consists of Andrew Donnal/Cody Wichmann/Pace Murphy. From what you have reported 2 of the 3 above are injured now:eek:. Both are OT's. So we may get a reason why Havenstein is getting work @ OT;). That leaves just 1 listed reserve OT available & uninjured Darrell Williams who has had 2 back to back seasons on the IR. I should mention UDFA rookie Micheal Dunn here because he was a long time starter @ LT for Maryland. Dunn's #no is 73. But the Rams have him now listed as a reserve LG.

The other rookie UDFA's Eldrenkamp/Kozan/Collins are interior OL'ers.
Good chance the Rams pick up a roster cut for the OL after they get down to 53.
I would agree with you strongly here on this(y)

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I completely agree, Fanotodd! But we don't get paid the "Big Bucks" for making those decisions and won't get fired If we're wrong! I hope we don't have to scream " I told you so!" this season!