Grob.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Are you concerned about GRob?

• Total voters

TexasRam

Legend
I personally don't think Grob's problems have to do with lack of learning or laziness.

I think Grob's issue is he is doesn't have the instincts to play the LT position.

HellRam

Starter
I personally don't think Grob's problems have to do with lack of learning or laziness.

I think Grob's issue is he is doesn't have the instincts to play the LT position.

This is something that's considered by very few. However their is evidence to suggest this very well may be a legit possibility. Both Jake Mathews and Tyler Lewan had faster time's in the cone drill and shuttle. Everyone fell in love with Robinson's 40 time because of his size. Unfortunately for Robinson the LT position is becoming more and more of a quick twitch position. And Robinson may never be that.

I do believe Robinson could be the best Guard in the NFL. He even looks the part more at Guard then Tackle.

We will have answer's what Robinson will become this season IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Before camp started I wasn't really worried about him, figured the progress he made late last year would continue and then some after another camp. But I gotta admit that practice I attended the other day shook me up a bit. He wasn't bad, but he was up and down and I watched him solely quite a bit in the scrimmage.

It was really the same as what we saw in games last year: when the end speed rushes wide around him he struggles to move out to intercept in space. I am pulling for the guy bigtime, but yeah I'm starting to wonder if the negative takes I've heard on him were more accurate than I wanted to believe.

One thing's for sure though: Snead learned his lesson with OL after taking GRob. He's gone with seasoned guys with loads of snaps from polished programs since that pick and it's hopefully going to all pay off this year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This will be the definitive year for GRob. I think he will prove to be a good player this year, and will improve every year. I also believe that if he struggles this year, that it could be detrimental to his confidence. Hoping for the best. He is a talented human being.

TexasRam

Legend
Before camp started I wasn't really worried about him, figured the progress he made late last year would continue and then some after another camp. But I gotta admit that practice I attended the other day shook me up a bit. He wasn't bad, but he was up and down and I watched him solely quite a bit in the scrimmage.

It was really the same as what we saw in games last year: when the end speed rushes wide around him he struggles to move out to intercept in space. I am pulling for the guy bigtime, but yeah I'm starting to wonder if the negative takes I've heard on him were more accurate than I wanted to believe.

One thing's for sure though: Snead learned his lesson with OL after taking GRob. He's gone with seasoned guys with loads of snaps from polished programs since that pick and it's hopefully going to all pay off this year.

If I had to put my money on something in the offseason it would be on Grob struggles continuing. I am not a Debbie downer and I don't like being negative. Seriously, I stuck by Bradford and others when people stopped believing.

But, its just with Grob, I watch every game replayed in slow mo paying close attention to every snap of the Olineman and everything I saw on film last year showed Grob completely abused on most plays with the quick juking DE's.

Grob can manhandle in the run game now. Don't get it confused. But he is not a natural pass protector and years away from even being serviceable at it. I hope he proves me wrong. Please prove me wrong. But my money says it aint happenin.

A55VA6

Legend
We have to remember the kid just now would be in his rookie season if you count years experience in college and he came from a "power running" school. They didn't throw much at all at Auburn. He's only 23. If he plays at an average NFL OLT clip this season, it bodes very well for the future.
I agree!

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Well if Grob won't do well at LT, there's always Isaiah Battle. Fisher got him in the supplemental draft for insurance.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Grob needs to develop into a pro bowler in my opinion. Think of the Rams defense if we had just took Mack instead. Crazy good!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well if Grob won't do well at LT, there's always Isaiah Battle. Fisher got him in the supplemental draft for insurance.
Yes Snead & Fisher did spend some assets on a OLT a year after drafting Greg Robinson. Their first LT found in 2015 was signed UDFA Darrell Williams who made the 53 player roster & was a pleasant surprise rookie who played as a rookie much in pre season & later worked himself into the third swing OT role before being injured starting for the injured Havenstein & Donnal. Then there's the Isaiah Battle drafting who was far behind the OL cadre in 2015.

These two youngsters do provide INSURANCE if Robinson goes "Total Fail Mode". They also have a 3rd LT 2016 UDFA Pace Murphy from Northwestern State thus far in camp. But Fisher/Boudreau back up at starting left tackle has always been Rodger Saffold since Fishers arrival. Its my opinion that seeing Saffold working the starting OT position (moved from the interior posts )may not be all due to the Havenstein injury:thinking: reason.

I surmise that Boudreau has learned from early last season when Robinson performance @ OLT was in a dead fall heading for "Total Fail Mode". Boudreau had to move way too many OL'ers away from their better positions early in the season to try to savage & fix Robinson sacrificing major chunks of OL continuity. A situation many members seemed have all but forgot. Boudreau has four OLT's now that can make the 53 player roster. Now that serious GRob insurance(y).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You doubt what? Could you elaborate a little?

REALLY ?? YOU ACTUALLY ARE SAYING THIS IS FACT. ???

----Fact is GRob as it stands from his past effort & performance will not make the Rams sigh him to a 5th yr extension like Brockers, Ogletree & Tavon Austin. It's highly probable GRob will hit the UFA market after the 2017 season IMO. Isaiah Battle or Rodger Saffold appears to be more likely to be our starting OLT after 2017 season than GRob. Maybe before............

Well maybe if he plays the way he has in the past that could be fact.There is no way to know that because Hreg Robinson is already playing at a higher level than he did last season. There is very little chance he will regress to that level either.
--I'll give you he is a slow learner,but he was a young 21 year old. He what I would call a Pure Southern Boy. Yes sir no sir type.
Greg Robinson has shown an excellent work ethic ,& a guy that wants to get better.He holds himself accountable for his play,& has a great future ahead of him.

--What I've seen from Greg Robinson is a kid that like to get physical . RAM FANS can get excited about Greg Robinson. Orlando Pace just got inducted into the Hall of Fame !!! He brought the name of Pancake as a house hold term.
I'll tell you right now this kid is going to be a Pute Mauler. He has a Nasty side to him. He will be a Man amongst boys as he ages.I just saw a video of Quinn beating around the edge,& then he would have just mauled him if he continue'd with the play. I've seen him get called for penalties just because of his size. He is country strong & loves to finish a DE or LB off. He can get to the 2nd level as well.He does have excellent speed for a man his size.

---I seriously doubt The Rams don't extend Greg Robinson for his 5th year.Maybe they even find a way to extend his contract for a longer term.
You also have also stated in the past about how Roger Saffold can not be counted on. Now your putting him as the future LT ??? Isahi Battle is a nice player to mold. I'll even add Williams is very young as well with a lot of upside.
I just don't think Greg Robinson comes even close of failing. Fisher was willing to sacrifice wins for giving Greg Robinson his experience. 2017 he will be a top 5 LT !! Not a guy on waivers.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You doubt what? Could you elaborate a little?

Greg Robinson is no Jason Smith !!Nit even close.

Greg Robinson when his career is over will be in considered one of the best they have ever had.

Call me crazy "-). This guy is still very young and is only going to get better.

--He also is no Tre Mason. This guy has an excellent work ethic & values .

A career at LT last 10 plus years. He is only coming into his 3rd year. He was a red-shirt Sophmore at 22 years old coming into The NFL playing the 2nd hardest postition to learn.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have been very concerned since the day they drafted him. I was concerned then because I could not find one play in which he was asked to pass block on an island.....not 1! Even the run blocking schemes looked very high schoolish.

I hate to be negative because the future looks so bright but this guy scares the crap out of me, especially with a new franchise QB in the fold.

I hope my opinion changes after seeing the first preseason game, because we need this guy to be good.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Ok, yeah just no to Saffold as or future left tackle :)

If it gets to that point where they move Robinson to guard, which was as someone stated the original plan to bring him along slowly, great point. But if it gets to that point, I really have no hope in Saffold holding out for long, much less being the planned starter in 2017.

I mean to me it really is circular logic that leaves me hoping that they don't really roll the dice on Saffold as a starting LT, as fans we all still feel singed on the Jake Long experience, emotional as that argument may seem I admit.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Greg Robinson is no Jason Smith !!Nit even close.

Greg Robinson when his career is over will be in considered one of the best they have ever had.

Call me crazy "-). This guy is still very young and is only going to get better.

--He also is no Tre Mason. This guy has an excellent work ethic & values .

A career at LT last 10 plus years. He is only coming into his 3rd year. He was a red-shirt Sophmore at 22 years old coming into The NFL playing the 2nd hardest postition to learn.

I just dunno about GRob anymore, So Ram.

I was a big supporter of the pick. And I advocated patience as he grew into his position.

But let's face it. He has not met the expectations of a #2 overall. This year is a crossroads year as to his Ram future, IMO. He needs to step up in a big way to justify the Ram decision to extend at approx $12 million for '17.

No, he's not a Jason Smith. But he sure as hell hasn't been an Orlando Pace, either.

Excellent work ethic? Not really, at least prior to this past offseason. Too many reports of him avoiding the film room. Little interest in developing technique as shown by coaches, choosing instead to rely on his physical gifts. That doesn't sound like a player with superior work ethic to me.

I do give him props for offseason work with Bentley. But will that translate into on field results? It better.

My bottom line? This will be GRob's 3rd year. It better be a damned good one if he wants that Ram extension. They would still have him under contract for '17, just in case he blows it up like they did with Barron. The Ram brain trust are gonna have a quality LOT for Goff and Gurley. One way or another. Hopefully, GRob convinces them this year that he is that man. But if he doesn't...

I think then that the Rams move on.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

If it gets to that point where they move Robinson to guard, which was as someone stated the original plan to bring him along slowly, great point. But if it gets to that point, I really have no hope in Saffold holding out for long, much less being the planned starter in 2017.

I mean to me it really is circular logic that leaves me hoping that they don't really roll the dice on Saffold as a starting LT, as fans we all still feel singed on the Jake Long experience, emotional as that argument may seem I admit.
I would agree with you fully the "... have no hope in Saffold holding out for long," My position has not changed at all the last few months.

However if Saffold does remain healthy:cautious: :notsure: & there is a repeat of the 2015 season performance by Robinson this 2016 season ....Saffold would be the first OL IMO to replace Robinson ..until he is injured again. Then that might bye enough time to get either Battle or Williams ready for the task of being the future starting OLT for this Ram team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just dunno about GRob anymore, So Ram.

I was a big supporter of the pick. And I advocated patience as he grew into his position.

But let's face it. He has not met the expectations of a #2 overall. This year is a crossroads year as to his Ram future, IMO. He needs to step up in a big way to justify the Ram decision to extend at approx $12 million for '17.

No, he's not a Jason Smith. But he sure as hell hasn't been an Orlando Pace, either.

Excellent work ethic? Not really, at least prior to this past offseason. Too many reports of him avoiding the film room. Little interest in developing technique as shown by coaches, choosing instead to rely on his physical gifts. That doesn't sound like a player with superior work ethic to me.

I do give him props for offseason work with Bentley. But will that translate into on field results? It better.

My bottom line? This will be GRob's 3rd year. It better be a damned good one if he wants that Ram extension. They would still have him under contract for '17, just in case he blows it up like they did with Barron. The Ram brain trust are gonna have a quality LOT for Goff and Gurley. One way or another. Hopefully, GRob convinces them this year that he is that man. But if he doesn't...

I think then that the Rams move on.

This Saturday will be a big test.Inthink he will have a solid game.Orlando Pace came into camp late & held out a couple times.Along with an injury. I see a couple pro bowls in Greg Robinsons future.
He has not earned his wage as a #2 pick over all. That part I can not argue.

DickersonGurley

Naga...nagunnaposthereanymore
Name
Faulk
If grob is average then I'll be fine. Havenstein brown and saffold are the blue chip lineman on this teamatter anyway. That said, I expect Robinson to be an above average tackle eventually
Ok, your killing me. I fully expect Grob to be a Pro Bowler in 2 years, just not sure if it's at Guard or Tackle. I love Havenstein, but to call him blue chip is not fair to the colt blue. Havenstein had a really good year for a rookie, and he's obviously a gamer, but he's not blue chip.

How many 1st rd LT have stepped in and been great from year 1? Now consider although Grob played LT he's like a June Jones QB coming out of Hawaii and stepping into a starting role. He literally did not even practice or get taught 50% of what 95 % of Other Left Tackle get in College. So take the couple of years it takes most LT to get it, and then add on a year or 2 for his horrific college pedigree. I think the Rams just need to see steady improve,went, because the guy is a BEAST, he's a worker, he's got everything you dream about, just NEVER did most of this stuff. Worse case he's moved to Guard and dominates. I'm not worried about GRob as much as I am worried about or WR's

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, your killing me. I fully expect Grob to be a Pro Bowler in 2 years, just not sure if it's at Guard or Tackle. I love Havenstein, but to call him blue chip is not fair to the colt blue. Havenstein had a really good year for a rookie, and he's obviously a gamer, but he's not blue chip.

How many 1st rd LT have stepped in and been great from year 1? Now consider although Grob played LT he's like a June Jones QB coming out of Hawaii and stepping into a starting role. He literally did not even practice or get taught 50% of what 95 % of Other Left Tackle get in College. So take the couple of years it takes most LT to get it, and then add on a year or 2 for his horrific college pedigree. I think the Rams just need to see steady improve,went, because the guy is a BEAST, he's a worker, he's got everything you dream about, just NEVER did most of this stuff. Worse case he's moved to Guard and dominates. I'm not worried about GRob as much as I am worried about or WR's
Yeah my bad. I think I meant blue collar lol. I just meant they go to work in the trenches and do the ugly stuff. We will see on Robinson though

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Jake Long just signed with Baltimore.

-/Saffold is going to be fine. He is not going to be the LT though at just about any cost.