Grob.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Are you concerned about GRob?

• Total voters

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
We have to remember the kid just now would be in his rookie season if you count years experience in college and he came from a "power running" school. They didn't throw much at all at Auburn. He's only 23. If he plays at an average NFL OLT clip this season, it bodes very well for the future.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I fully respect your post and your opinion, but please humor me and answer this one question:
If somehow we knew that GRob was going to play exactly how he played all of last season ... would you be ok with that?
Just assume that we magically knew he would play every game exactly the same as last season ... would you be worried then?
Wasn't asked of me but are we going to see the same progression he showed last season? He was getting better weekly at the end of the season.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Wasn't asked of me but are we going to see the same progression he showed last season? He was getting better weekly at the end of the season.

No. No progression. Just the way he played every game last season, he will play exactly the same this season. (in my crazy theoretic scenario).
So ... within that scenario ... would you be worried this season if he did not improve from last season?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. No progression. Just the way he played every game last season, he will play exactly the same this season. (in my crazy theoretic scenario).
So ... within that scenario ... would you be worried this season if he did not improve from last season?
Nope because we know rookies tend to hit their stride in year three. Plus I know he's worked with Bentley and we all knew, those some seem to chose to forget it, that GRob was a work in progress and he needed to be acclimated to the NFL game. That takes time he was drafted because he's a physical freak with a ton of potential. Now some seem to want to pull the plug on an investment before we realize our gains.

Quit forgetting he got better as last year went on, quit ignoring the work he did in the off season. And stop making snap arm chair GM decisions based on 5 days of mostly padless practices based on a few pic's without context. The one video that we have of him playing posted in a practice day thread showed him doing good. Let the man do his job and stop worrying about it IMO.

tempests

Hall of Fame
We have to remember the kid just now would be in his rookie season if you count years experience in college and he came from a "power running" school. They didn't throw much at all at Auburn.

Yes, but he's had NFL coaching the last three offseasons. Mentally he should be well ahead of any rookie.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Put him at Guard, end of story... He looks like a tackle from 1996.... today's tackles are leaner "looking" than he is, and logic tells me they are quicker on their feet to combat DEs and LBS that run 4.5 40s.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Cam Newton must be that special once in a decade because that mofo can throw and obviously run. In layman's terms.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
... That's why I'm not the bit concerned at all with Goff. We haven't even had a preseason game yet. He's on Cloud 9 right now with all the "pressure".

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I fully respect your post and your opinion, but please humor me and answer this one question:
If somehow we knew that GRob was going to play exactly how he played all of last season ... would you be ok with that?
Just assume that we magically knew he would play every game exactly the same as last season ... would you be worried then?

No. Because I don't get caught up in made up hypotheticals.

fearsomefour

Legend
My bigger concern with line is inside.
That said Grob was in over his head rookie year. Second half of year two was better.
The knock on him early was work ethic and prep work. Hard to know if that is totally true or if his pass block technique was so bad he just progressed slowly. Facing the best pass rushers in the league with great technique is tough....he has terrible technique.
We knew it was going to take time. I'm not overly worried about him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Nope because we know rookies tend to hit their stride in year three. Plus I know he's worked with Bentley and we all knew, those some seem to chose to forget it, that GRob was a work in progress and he needed to be acclimated to the NFL game. That takes time he was drafted because he's a physical freak with a ton of potential. Now some seem to want to pull the plug on an investment before we realize our gains.

Quit forgetting he got better as last year went on, quit ignoring the work he did in the off season. And stop making snap arm chair GM decisions based on 5 days of mostly padless practices based on a few pic's without context. The one video that we have of him playing posted in a practice day thread showed him doing good. Let the man do his job and stop worrying about it IMO.

Good points and totally agree. Just wonder why you don't think the same about Mo Alexander.Another good example of a stud UDFA player The Rams scouts found. Tim Barnes c…
--- He is not a name Ram fans have Ben talked about at all.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Why would we be okay if Grob is average? If he is not a Pro bowler then he is a disappointment. We drafted him to be one, and if he's not then it's a waste of a pick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good points and totally agree. Just wonder why you don't think the same about Mo Alexander.Another good example of a stud UDFA player The Rams scouts found. Tim Barnes c…
--- He is not a name Ram fans have Ben talked about at all.
Alexander was a 4th round pick not a UDFA. If the battle was for SS I'd have him in there in a heart beat. Just not sure either thumper, Mo or TJ have the cover skills to play the deep spot. I was never a Barnes fan but tbh he's probably the best we have on the roster at Center.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Alexander was a 4th round pick not a UDFA. If the battle was for SS I'd have him in there in a heart beat. Just not sure either thumper, Mo or TJ have the cover skills to play the deep spot. I was never a Barnes fan but tbh he's probably the best we have on the roster at Center.

Of course he wasn't a UDFA. He is worth a lot more than that. His value in the draft will be like you say in his 3rd year.
---HOW many years did it take Rodney McCloud to start ?? Your saying Randoloh is going to be a starter ??
He going to be lucky to make the team. The Rams brought in 2 other UDFA at the postion as well.

--- Yeah Barnes is playing well, & is just another example of The Rams bringing in a UDFA. Brett Jones a 4th rd pick did not make it. You just don't come into The NFL and start.
You doubt Mo Alexander why ?? Don't you know Greg Williams wants his Safties interchangable ?? TJ played FS at USC as well. --Mo knows Williams system very well. He is actually an extension of the coach. He is making reads and calls every play.Telling TJ were to go, or yelling out the coverage.
I would not want to be a WR going over the middle with those 2 guys behind me.WR's are going to hear foot steps.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Why would we be okay if Grob is average? If he is not a Pro bowler then he is a disappointment. We drafted him to be one, and if he's not then it's a waste of a pick.

This is a very good point here. If GRob was a third day draft selection or UDFA then waiting several seasons of prep to be an adequate or average starting OLT would be clearly understandable. But a second overall draft pick used to secure a starting OLT & what the Rams have presently is NOT what you spend highly valuable assets on & a 2nd overall draft selection is high high value! Look what the Rams paid of the first overall draft selection this past draft.

Fact is GRob has had serious problem understanding what his OL responsibilities are on many of the Rams offensive plays. The ones he gets right he does real good but those are far & few between plays. His physical abilities are off the charts for any OL'er. Moving GRob to OG does not resolve the problem here. Who here think that Boudreau needs GRob starting @ OLG? That's far from being a need with this OL. GRob issues will show up @ OLG just as they show up @ OLT. Truth is GRob has the physical abilities to be a great OLT in todays NFL. Can any member deny that.

My previous post fully documents what the Rams many efforts were to try to improvement in the play coming from the OLT post. Boudreau moved many starting OL'ers around in order to get GRob the right kind of assistance & help. That's directly on GRob. GRob needed full time direction coming from whomever the OLG is. This is where we need to see GRob greatly improve. This is his 3rd NFL training Camp at what time do most NFL OL'ers get to get this down? We will know more on GRob progress if we see Garrett Reynolds starting next to him when the season starts. You will get a clue there.

The reason for all this hope coming from many members here where they gladly point out that GRob did play better late into the season (still he was not close to consistent but yes it was better). Was that due to GRob's effort ???? or was it the efforts of other elements:whistle:? I was very please to see that GRob made the effort to attend special training this off season to refine his hand placement & technical side of his game but will that really make a lot of difference if he still does not know his responsibilities when the center makes the line calls?

No way to tell this early in camp but time will arrive soon enough where we will know if GRob has spent time learning his playbook & putting it into play when the ball is slammed into Goff's hands. Seems to me that if I had been a 2nd overall first round selection in the NFL draft & the team who selected me paid me over 21 million in guaranteed cap money & I had a poor performance history like GRob I would full in, balls to the walls on each & every chance to pancake his defensive player assignment. No other OL'er would showcase a higher effort in training Camp.

Fact is GRob as it stands from his past effort & performance will not make the Rams sigh him to a 5th yr extension like Brockers, Ogletree & Tavon Austin. It's highly probable GRob will hit the UFA market after the 2017 season IMO. Isaiah Battle or Rodger Saffold appears to be more likely to be our starting OLT after 2017 season than GRob. Maybe before............

Last edited:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This is a very good point here. If GRob was a third day draft selection or UDFA then waiting several seasons of prep to be an adequate or average starting OLT would be clearly understandable. But a second overall draft pick used to secure a starting OLT & what the Rams have presently is NOT what you spend highly valuable assets on & a 2nd overall draft selection is high high value! Look what the Rams paid of the first overall draft selection this past draft.

Fact is GRob has had serious problem understanding what his OL responsibilities are on many of the Rams offensive plays. The ones he gets right he does real good but those are far & few between plays. His physical abilities are off the charts for any OL'er. Moving GRob to OG does not resolve the problem here. Who here think that Boudreau needs GRob starting @ OLG? That's far from being a need with this OL. GRob issues will show up @ OLG just as they show up @ OLT. Truth is GRob has the physical abilities to be a great OLT in todays NFL. Can any member deny that.

My previous post fully documents what the Rams many efforts were to try to improvement in the play coming from the OLT post. Boudreau moved many starting OL'ers around in order to get GRob the right kind of assistance & help. That's directly on GRob. GRob needed full time direction coming from whomever the OLG is. This is where we need to see GRob greatly improve. This is his 3rd NFL training Camp at what time do most NFL OL'ers get to get this down? We will know more on GRob progress if we see Garrett Reynolds starting next to him when the season starts. You will get a clue there.

The reason for all this hope coming from many members here where they gladly point out that GRob did play better late into the season (still he was not close to consistent but yes it was better). Was that due to GRob's effort ???? or was it the efforts of other elements:whistle:? I was very please to see that GRob made the effort to attend special training this off season to refine his hand placement & technical side of his game but will that really make a lot of difference if he still does not know his responsibilities when the center makes the line calls?

No way to tell this early in camp but time will arrive soon enough where we will know if GRob has spent time learning his playbook & putting it into play when the ball is slammed into Goff's hands. Seems to me that if I had been a 2nd overall first round selection in the NFL draft & the team who selected me paid me over 21 million in guaranteed cap money & I had a poor performance history like GRob I would full in, balls to the walls on each & every chance to pancake his defensive player assignment. No other OL'er would showcase a higher effort in training Camp.

Fact is GRob as it stands from his past effort & performance will not make the Rams sigh him to a 5th yr extension like Brockers, Ogletree & Tavon Austin. It's highly probable GRob will hit the UFA market after the 2017 season IMO. Isaiah Battle or Rodger Saffold appears to be more likely to be our starting OLT after 2017 season than GRob. Maybe before............
And you could be right. Grob may be lazy, stupid, or both. In which case, the Rams may never completely be able to mask those problems. I firmly believe this season will provide a definitive answer as to his future in the NFL. Here's to hoping he is at least not too stupid to learn enough to improve because I think sooner or later you can somewhat fix lazy. I think we are in for a pleasant surprise.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think he already is way ahead of last year. I like the way he changed his stance.He starts off low in a powerful position .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I really doubt that