Grob.........

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Are you concerned about GRob?

• Total voters

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I saw him struggle with a speed rush the other day then turn around and stone the DE. So I have to admit concern is creeping in, even while I think he could be in for a strong year.

Gonna watch him heavily vs the Cowboys. And pray.
I'm not so sure about This^, The Cowboy's "D" SUCKS!

RamWoodie

Legend
Not worried about GRob! It's taking some time, ...but I think he can be All-Pro, but at the very least a solid starter!

This is probably the first season in a long time I had NO WORRIES about the OLine!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The reality is college players are not ready for the NFL, some positions the learning curve is greater than others. For O linemen, especially LT's, its a bigger gap than other positions. For NFL teams, that makes it a bigger crap shoot. They have to go by what scouts "predict" an OL ceiling is. Look at other NFL teams and you see that a lot of them are having the same problems fielding a decent OL. Same with WR's, they just aren't taught in college what they are expected to do in the NFL. Fans are just going to have to get used to the idea that top draft picks are not ready to play day one, and that one training camp isn't enough for them to learn a massive play book and all the complicated plays. Some may never learn. Look how long its taken Brian Quick. GRob is progressing, its going to take reps for him to become instinctive. He's stlll getting new looks he's never seen before, and he's going to get fooled.

The sad fact is, over the last five or six years, major colleges have been changing they way they play football, spread offenses, where offensive linemen don't even put a fist on the ground, simplified play books, simplified plays, (everyone go deep, I'll throw it to ever is open). Its unrealistic to excpect a guy like GRob, who came from Auburn, where he never put a fist on the dirt, never got taught the art of pass blocking, to learn all of that in one or two seasons.

I call BS - the dude Nick whatever from Cowboys made the pro bowl his rookie year.
Your right about GRob learning LT.2nd hardest position to learn. GRob is a slow thinker as it is.Add he was 20-21 when drafted.He was also a Red Shirt Sophmore,only playing 2 seasons.
You can't compare him to Brian Quick.Alphonse Jerries was the only WR that was better than him in hindsite.TY Hilton who knew. Randell from LSU , Is a toss up.The Rams were in desperate to draft a WR. The 49er took Jenkins in first round.Then they took the RB from Oregon ahead of I. Pead.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This is a great point.

I love GRobs athleticism but so far he just looks like an athlete playing football. Using such a valuable pick on a guy who may not reach his potential until his contract is up never makes sense to me.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Average will not cut it. He has to be better than good. Besides the Center position, LT is extremely important for the success of the O-Line. If he can't protect our QB's backside we are doomed no matter who is at QB. This is a big year for him. Time for G-Rob to step up and prove it.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
My point is, drafting college players is more and more a crap shoot.
Very true. When the NFL had the league in Europe, all players, especially O-Lineman, played a bunch before regular season camps started. Now these guys don't have much "real time" to get ready playing in the NFL. Colleges play more no huddle fast paced football which is not the case with most NFL Teams. I remember G-Rob saying that Auburn had only 6 running plays which required a zone blocking scheme, and their passing game was "quick" so he did not have to maintain his block for a long period of time. With NFL QBs taking 5 and 7 step drops lineman need to hold their block much longer. This has been a difficult transition for him. I hope with all his off-season workouts, he will take a huge step in pass protection. I know he can maul anyone in the run game, its how he handles the passing game which is still a question mark.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still have some concerned. Why did GRob get better late into the 2015 season? This question should have a few different takes flying in here for the more detailed fans......

The bad & the ugly

Grob opened is 2nd NFL season as a assigned starter @ OLT. GRob opened the season with four games next to another young OL'er & a rookie Jamon Brown. Brown looked real good for a rookie in those 4 games but GRob's play was dismal & going down hill fast. GRob plain & simple had very little clue what his blocking assignments' were from play to play. Boudreau emergency solution was to moved (what many here in this forum think is Rodger Saffold best playing position @ ORG) to start next to GRob so Saffold could convey verbally direct GRob what his block was each play. In addition Boudreau flip Brown to the right side a side he had not played in since his arrival @ Louisville in college. Plus Brown had never played the right OG post. Should I mention also that Brown is left hander.

This GRob solution caused some big issues in continuity in Game 5 against the Packers. Saffold was injured @ OLG early & was placed on the IR. The rookie Andrew Donnal replaced Saffold @ OLG & was manhandled most each & every play. Even Rhaney saw some action @ OLG but faired even worse. Meanwhile Brown was having issues himself with the new side & new starting post & had a bad game too. So the solution to help GRob resulted in continuing bad play now from 3 OL posts. After the bye wk 6 Boudreau inserted the veteran Garrett Reynolds to start @ OLG next to GRob.

With Garrett Reynolds next to Grob the Rams went on to win the next two games & were sitting @ 4-3 going into the Viking game week 9. Havenstein was unable to start due to a lower leg injury the Viking game. Forcing Boudreau to move & flip start Garrett Reynolds to ORT post thus leaving GRob without direction. Once again rookie Andrew Donnal was inserted next to GRob as a starter. This was Andrew Donnal's first official start even though he had played in relief of the injured Saffold back in wk 5. The left side Duo of GRob & Donnal turned into one big mess. GRob missed assignment after assignment. Donnal was tossed around like a rag doll. The Rams went on to loose this important Viking game & ripped off 5 straight looses in a row. Donnal was not activated the following week 10 due to his play.

Wk 10 against the Bears Boudreau badly needed Reynolds back @ OLG next to GRob. Havenstein still badly injured & who was hardly able to walk started @ ORT so Grob could get his direct on field supervision from Reynolds. During this game ORT Havenstein injured himself more severely & went out . Swing OT Darrell Williams replaced Havenstein @ ORT. Soon afterwards both starting ORG & ORT Brown/Williams were lost for the season (IR) on the same play. Reynolds was inserted in @ ORT for the injured Havenstein & Williams. Both Demetrius Rhaney & Cody Wichmann finished the game @ starting OG's. Rams lost 37 to 10.

Wk 11 against the Ravens Boudreau once again returned Garrett Reynolds back next to GRob @ OLG. Andrew Donnal now received the starting assignment for replacing Reynold's who replace Williams who replaced Havenstein @ ORT in wk 10. Cody Wichmann took over for Jamon Brown for the rest of the season @ ORG. By half time starting ORT Donnal suffered a badly grade 3 knee sprain & never dressed for another Ram game in 2015. Reynolds once again was moved away from GRob from the left side & inserted back @ ORT. Demetrius Rhaney was inserted next to GRob. The Rhaney GRob left side performance was just plain bad. Boudreau even flipped Wichmann over to the left side for a series at times next to Grob. But Rhaney's size @ ORG was way too much to overcome. Boudreau also had several new back ups Erik Kush/Brian Folkerts interior Ol'ers & Isaiah Battle swing OT. Rams lost this game. Wk 12 GRob was still without his personal play by play on field supervisor Garrett Reynolds who had to start @ ORT for the sill injured Havenstein. Rhaney was given his 1st NFL start @ OLG this week. Rams lost this game.

The Good

Wk 13 Rob Havenstein returned to start @ ORT thus giving Boudreau the opportunity to insert Garrett Reynolds back over to the left side with GRob @ OLT. The Right side of Wichmann & Havenstein began working well. This is about the time we begin to see GRob becoming more consistent with his blocks with many fewer whiffs occurring from the left side. Tim Barnes seems to be less worried & stressed which helped greatly on his making good line calls & the 5 player OL working together for the most part for the first time in the 2015 season.

In conclusion, I know I have been hard on GRob in this post but its how I saw it. Now... I do not have a real positive opinion on GRob as a future star @ OLT by himself. But I do think that if GRob is teamed with a good solid heady veteran LG who is willing to assist GRob early this season with understanding the proper OL calls & many quick reads before the play begins .....it will greatly assist him as he learns to be a solid OLT in the NFL. GRob might then have a very good successful season. But as I read some of the reports of the 9-6 practice it looks like GRob is not looking good at all.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll wait to be concerned or comforted until I see him in live action. What I've heard about him out of training camp however, has been encouraging.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Very concerned.he is getting his ass beat religiously in camp.

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/8/5/12391460/los-angeles-rams-training-camp-aug-5-practice-recap

• OL? I made on emphasis to keep my eyes on the “big uglies“ today. Man, I wish I did not because I came away so disappointed. One reason the offensive line is not improving might be because they do a lot of nothing. The entire group just stood as other position groups took part in their respective drills. When they did begin their drills, they were a bit lackadaisical.
  • Greg Robinson was the main culprit. He gave minimal effort during the first part of OL drills. During one-on-ones against the defensive line, GROb was easily pushed back. During 11-on=-11s, he wouldn’t finish his blocks, just barely pushing off the defender, but still allowing him to get past him. It really was awful watching this cat today.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I wanted Matthews that year. I love GRobs athleticism but so far he just looks like an athlete playing football. Using such a valuable pick on a guy who may not reach his potential until his contract is up never makes sense to me. Ron Bartell and Brian Quick are good examples. But, that doesn't mean that I don't see the potential, or root for them, because a Ram is a Ram, is a Ram.

This team needs GRob to start looking like he can one day become the guy that was worth the second overall pick in the draft.

I wanted the Rams to try to move back and try to get Lewan or Matthews. Either of those guys looked more NFL ready. Then they made G Rob learn to play guard while Long was still playing on two legs. I think Snead and Fisher got blinded by the concept that they could coach up Robinson to match his athletic ability.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't think the lines are going 100% on every play...I have very lil worries due to the incrememntal improvement Grob shows in every game...he's getting better...that's all we can hope for.

I won't judge his performances until I see a preseason game...probably against Denver, cause Dallas DE's sux.

Ramzee

Rookie
So far I haven't seen anything at camp to suggest GRob is a whole new GRob. Seems like a lot of the same old to me. I've watched him pretty extensively during camp so far in great detail.

He's very dominant on some plays. The Rams will focus TGII behind him a lot this year in the run game, effectively. He's going to be ok in pass pro but he's going to have his lapses still. He's no O Pace and I doubt he ever will be, when it comes to consistency but he does have the talent to be dominant in the league against some of the leagues best rushers. No doubt. Unfortunately he's going to give up some plays now and again. Even against lesser talent.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Not worried at all. Especially from tweets during what I have now dubbed "annoying cliche season."

"Looks good."

"Looks the part."

"Struggles"

"Overwhelmed"

"Turning heads"

"Raising eyebrows"

"Getting boners" (wait, what?)

These tweeting "pundits" are seeing things from a distance, not next to him, not knowing what is being said b/w coach and player, not studying the practice film, not reviewing what happened during the day.

Again, not worried about him now, and not even during preseason. If on Monday night he keeps getting beat by Deforest Buckner, then I'll start to worry. I doubt that happens, tho.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I wanted the Rams to try to move back and try to get Lewan or Matthews. Either of those guys looked more NFL ready. Then they made G Rob learn to play guard while Long was still playing on two legs. I think Snead and Fisher got blinded by the concept that they could coach up Robinson to match his athletic ability.
Was that not the plan?

On or about the time of the drafting of OT Greg Robinson in may of 2014 ....Snead was just one year away from signing all pro OLT Jake Long to a four yr contract to start @ OLT for seasons to come. Snead had also resigned Rams past four yr starting OT Rodger Saffold to start on the right side either @ ORT or maybe ORG. They also had found out that OT Barksdale was good enough to start. after his 2013 season. There were certainly no issues @ OT on the horizon for the Rams team @ OT.

The problem for Snead was he needed OG's. Early in 2014 the Ram roster of OG's was Davin Joseph, Brandon Washington & Barrett Jones. None of those three OG's are active in todays NFL. So IMO Snead & Fisher has a plan for the drafting of Robinson in order for him to learn to be an NFL OL'er & the first step was to spend his first several years playing OLG. In fact that how the plan started off in 2014. GRob was the swing back up to Saffold & Long. But injuries & declining play took its toll Long, Saffold, Joseph & Wells forcing the green inexperienced GRob into earlier action than was ever planned for.

When the opportunity presents itself I will quickly be looking to ID who Boudreau lines up @ OLG with GRob in these pre season games.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
The O line was pretty good against the Seeahwks in week 16...Gurley had 85+ I believe....the Rams threw the ball a bit, not too many sacks....they should 'upgrade' from there.....shouldn't they? Young, tough, run blocking line with very, very few 7 step drops will allow them a chance in most games.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Not worried about him at all. He showed a lot of progress towards the end of the season and he's still young. Hell, it's hard to find average LTs in this league. Now if you're looking for him to live up to that #2 pick, I don't know what to tell you, but at this point that shouldn't be the concern.

Sportsed

Pro Bowler
For me, my biggest concern for GRob is how he fares against speed rushers, especially on 3rd and 7+ yds. He has been late or sometimes early (false starts) out of his stance. That consistency of getting off quickly at the snap count, not allowing those blow-by qb sacks/hits, would be my biggest area of concern. It's tc now so maybe he's not going 100%, but even the ps games I'll be looking to see if he's improved there. Think he's going to play at a pro bowl level in the run game this year------especially with Gurley running behind him. Greg has all the tools to be a very good ot in the league and it will show this year.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Not worried at all. Especially from tweets during what I have now dubbed "annoying cliche season."

"Looks good."

"Looks the part."

"Struggles"

"Overwhelmed"

"Turning heads"

"Raising eyebrows"

"Getting boners" (wait, what?)

These tweeting "pundits" are seeing things from a distance, not next to him, not knowing what is being said b/w coach and player, not studying the practice film, not reviewing what happened during the day.

Again, not worried about him now, and not even during preseason. If on Monday night he keeps getting beat by Deforest Buckner, then I'll start to worry. I doubt that happens, tho.

I fully respect your post and your opinion, but please humor me and answer this one question:
If somehow we knew that GRob was going to play exactly how he played all of last season ... would you be ok with that?
Just assume that we magically knew he would play every game exactly the same as last season ... would you be worried then?