Got a chance to watch Sam's 1st 3 series

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MrMotes

Starter
It's perfect for Sam because he has a great offensive coach and a ton of talent around him, particularly on the line and skills positions, in a system that he'll thrive in because of how fast paced it is. I don't think the playbook or the offense was too complex for Sam while he was here.

I thought Kelly was an egomaniac who dumped his best players.

Sam did seem to struggle with McDaniels offense his 2nd year, had to give up making the line calls...

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's perfect for Sam because he has a great offensive coach and a ton of talent around him, particularly on the line and skills positions, in a system that he'll thrive in because of how fast paced it is. I don't think the playbook or the offense was too complex for Sam while he was here.

I disagree. In the Rams offense the QB controls everything on the field. He needs to know protections, he has the freedom to check in and out of plays. Unlike the Mike Martz system which was crazy complex. Kelly's system takes all of that away from the QB and it is a true spread college offense built around the zone read option. The very play that got people upset last week when Bradford got hit.

The Rams attempted to run this offense with Shotty as its base in 2013 but were forced to junk it

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Those were some beautiful passes..

But really tho, I love Sam, but does the dude EVER do leg day? Look at those twiggish legs.
Leg days suck. I don't blame him. :snicker:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Those were some beautiful passes..

But really tho, I love Sam, but does the dude EVER do leg day? Look at those twiggish legs.
To be fair, does any QB who isn't a fancy running QB have legs worth looking at?

The Manning brothers in particular look so top heavy it's a surprise they haven't toppled onto themselves yet.

FRO

Legend
I thought Kelly was an egomaniac who dumped his best players.

Sam did seem to struggle with McDaniels offense his 2nd year, had to give up making the line calls...
Everybody struggled under McDaniels. The lockout really screwed us.

Athos

Legend
I just wonder how these QBs seem to defy physics with all that top heAvy weight.

In a perfect world, I'd model my QB on Big Ben.

Much thicker lower half.

FRO

Legend
Disagree - I don't think Schotty knew how to run it, let alone design it.
That and the fact that Austin wasn't ready for a big offensive role. Our best receiver was Austin Pettis, think about that.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
compared to Al Saunders or Schotty though, it's simpler. I'd also bet having shurmur there with him is a help
Yeah, but being simpler doesn't mean it's not complicated.

In fact I'd go as far to say that Schotty's was over complicated if you take into the accounts that even on the Jets there was complaints about how complex it was and how players were getting left behind.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
image.jpg

FRO

Legend
Yeah, but being simpler doesn't mean it's not complicated.

In fact I'd go as far to say that Schotty's was over complicated if you take into the accounts that even on the Jets there was complaints about how complex it was and how players were getting left behind.
Even Fisher's comments after he left. The first thing Fisher wanted to do is simplify things.

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Oh and I do agree he is finally with a top notched offensive guy. When he was with the Rams I always said why is Fisher bringing in these scrubs to work with Bradford. You get the best coaches when your QB has that kind if arm talent.

Still though even with that I think overall he should have showed better and ultimately I believe he's not elite.

I guess we will find out either way here

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Disagree - I don't think Schotty knew how to run it, let alone design it.
But he did design it. It's not his job to run it. That's what position coaches are for. The problem was that they couldn’t block it up front, and the receivers were leading the league in drops over that span while Bradford was getting pummeled. And per another post, they didn't junk the spread attack so they could run the ball more due to Bradford's ineffectiveness. They still passed the ball a lot more than they ran it. They simply pulled it in and went with more 12 and 13 personnel groupings for better QB protection. There was also the limitations discovered with having Richardson as the primary back. Once teams discovered they could shut that down with minimal effort, all focus turned to the QB and the pressure ramped up considerably. That's why they looked effective week one, but not so much right after it. All teams needed was that one week of film to know Richardson posed no threat.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Seemed like Sam was rolling the with 14 tds 4ints after 7 games in 2013...He was REALLY rolling last preseason, some of his best work as a Ram IMO....so he's just picking up were he left off...Still say, when they run the read-option for a game or 2, versus a serious pressure D, then tell me his stats