Got a chance to watch Sam's 1st 3 series

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speedr@m

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But he did design it. It's not his job to run it. That's what position coaches are for. The problem was that they couldn’t block it up front, and the receivers were leading the league in drops over that span while Bradford was getting pummeled. And per another post, they didn't junk the spread attack so they could run the ball more due to Bradford's ineffectiveness. They still passed the ball a lot more than they ran it. They simply pulled it in and went with more 12 and 13 personnel groupings for better QB protection. There was also the limitations discovered with having Richardson as the primary back. Once teams discovered they could shut that down with minimal effort, all focus turned to the QB and the pressure ramped up considerably. That's why they looked effective week one, but not so much right after it. All teams needed was that one week of film to know Richardson posed no threat.

well the problem wasn't just they couldn't block for it...(yes that was part of it) but they couldn't run out of it and the yes the QB was not able to execute from it.

Coach Veneturi - broke it down as it was occuring in 2013 and it certainly wasn't just the oline. They junked the entire thing after the back to back emobarassments in Dallas and at home against the 49ers. The offense then took off when running 21 as a base grouping (using the HBack as the FB). It was in this offense that Sam began to thrive and up until perhaps one of his best days as a pro against the Panthers vaunted defense... of course this is the game in which he got hurt and never played another down in a real game for the Rams again

Speedr@m

Rookie
I'm definitely seeing how it's a more qb friendly system. It has receivers who run good routes and catch the ball. Also has an offensive line that gives the qb time to go through some progressions.

did you watch the clips? what progressions... it was first read and throw. Its Oklahoma all over again

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
well the problem wasn't just they couldn't block for it...(yes that was part of it) but they couldn't run out of it and the yes the QB was not able to execute from it.

Coach Veneturi - broke it down as it was occuring in 2013 and it certainly wasn't just the oline. They junked the entire thing after the back to back emobarassments in Dallas and at home against the 49ers. The offense then took off when running 21 as a base grouping (using the HBack as the FB). It was in this offense that Sam began to thrive and up until perhaps one of his best days as a pro against the Panthers vaunted defense... of course this is the game in which he got hurt and never played another down in a real game for the Rams again
Isn't that pretty much what I just said though?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
did you watch the clips? what progressions... it was first read and throw. Its Oklahoma all over again
I think you're the one who didn't watch the clips. In the replay of the Sproles TD you can literally see him turn his head and go through his progression. I don't know what you saw.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Huh? His first and second throws in that clip are to his second read.

FRO

Legend

If I could build a time machine I would tell Sam to not scramble against the Panthers. He was playing the best football he has ever played. I think we could have made the playoffs last year with a healthy Bradford. If he can stay healthy he will be an absolute star in the Philadelphia system.

Speedr@m

Rookie
Even Fisher's comments after he left. The first thing Fisher wanted to do is simplify things.

yep... people like to get caught up on some of this stuff because if you say something is simple they take it as a diss of Sam or if you say its a better fit because its simple they take that as a diss too

but QBs have differnet strengths and weaknesses and some systems fit some QBs better than others. That thing that Brady runs under McDaniels in New England is very compex. What Warner and Fouts ran in that Coryell system is complex, the system in place with Scott Linehan in Dallas is complex.

The Chip Kellys system not so much... doesn't mean its less effecitive right? Its just a different system that leans more on the coach calling the plays.

That = Great for Sam Bradford because he can think more about just throwing football and less about the other stuff

Last edited:

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
Besides your obvious PD-ish hate, it's the doesn't haven't it mentally ridiculous comment that exposes you.

Then again we all have our opinions, but you really do seem to be a little over the top, I'm pretty sure 14-4 TD/Int ratio is average in your book.

exactly. cruddy oline, brandon gibson and mike simms-walker, the best of the lot was oft-injured Amendola, who isn't all that good in NE.

sam was always regarded as smart. but he was injured too often and Rams oline and skill players were average or worse (to be kind)

besides, Foles is our QB. And he played well last night. If Sam does well, good for him, but it does nothing for Rams. But, there will always be those who just make up things like "doesn't have it mentally" and try and troll to start trouble.

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
Some of these "obvious PD-ish haters" also were in the draft RG3 camp. I wonder if the new troll was an RG3 guy?

As for the systems, Sam ran a West coast system, then the same system as Brady, then the Coryell system under Shotty and now the Kelly system. No coach or player ever question Sam's smarts.

Now, RG3 . . . he's basically rolled up and lost his job (again) to Cousins.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That thing that Brady runs under McDaniels in New England is very compex
That thing is the Erhardt-Perkins system and has been around in NE long before McDaniels. McDaniels almost screwed it all up in early 2012, if you don't remember. And Bill O'Brien was actually a guy who helped it to evolve with none other than Chip Kelly. O'Brien arranged a meeting between Belichick and Kelly while Kelly was at Oregon, and 3 meetings later, the Patriots went to their up-tempo game and they still have elements of Kelly's design in it to this day.

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
don't think the playbook or the offense was too complex for Sam while he was here.

It wasn't. It was Sam teaching the others the McDaniels offense in 2011 during the lockout. In 2010 (Rams were 7-9 from 1-15) he was praised by Shurmur for his smarts. And same thing by Shotty.

This accusation is simply trolling.

Speedr@m

Rookie
If I could build a time machine I would tell Sam to not scramble against the Panthers. He was playing the best football he has ever played. I think we could have made the playoffs last year with a healthy Bradford. If he can stay healthy he will be an absolute star in the Philadelphia system.

yep FRO... that injury was devasting for Sam but IMO more importanly to the Rams. Think about Quick, Givens, and Austin the retardation of their development by that injury. Look at Givens this summer streaking down the field with those passes and running under them. We did not have a QB once Bradford went down to get our WRs the ball. The same for Britt last year. So often he was running deep wide open but Davis and laughably Hill (stunned how weak his arm was) could not get them the ball Do you rememeber the 3rd and 21 pass that went for 30 from Sam to Britt last preseason. I was thinking finally... if Bradford can just saty on the field we have the young explosive weapons to finally start scoring some points.

We don't need Aaron Rodgers but we do need a QB who can make a few plays when things break down, can be clutch when we really need something to happen, and can stay on the field and show leadership

My hope is we have that now in Foles

Last edited:

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
That thing is the Erhardt-Perkins system and has been around in NE long before McDaniels. McDaniels almost screwed it all up in early 2012, if you don't remember. And Bill O'Brien was actually a guy who helped it to evolve with none other than Chip Kelly. O'Brien arranged a meeting between Belichick and Kelly while Kelly was at Oregon, and 3 meetings later, the Patriots went to their up-tempo game and they still have elements of Kelly's design in it to this day.

100% right. Sam did well last night because for first time in career he's playing behind Pro Bowl linemen. Peter, Kelce, Johnson, and two new guards. And he has a great outlet in Sproles and the WRs didn't drop any.

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
total BS.

I watch the game and they were not all "first reads". Try offering evidence and try not to troll.

FRO

Legend
100% right. Sam did well last night because for first time in career he's playing behind Pro Bowl linemen. Peter, Kelce, Johnson, and two new guards. And he has a great outlet in Sproles and the WRs didn't drop any.
It's going to be a good case study. I argued with so many people about the supporting cast. I can't wait to be proven wrong or right with him on the Eagles.

Speedr@m

Rookie
It wasn't. It was Sam teaching the others the McDaniels offense in 2011 during the lockout. In 2010 (Rams were 7-9 from 1-15) he was praised by Shurmur for his smarts. And same thing by Shotty.

This accusation is simply trolling.

trolling lol hes not even a Ram anymore and now thats trolling... if you disagree just say that and then back it up with some reasoned opinion. I didn't say Sam wasn't smart. If you cant disagree with someone without the name calling please stay out of the thread because some of us are trying to have a discussion and until you came along the conversation was going just fine

Last edited:

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
It's going to be a good case study. I argued with so many people about the supporting cast. I can't wait to be proven wrong or right with him on the Eagles.
it was injuries and the supporting cast.

jmyb53

UDFA
Name
Ricardo
trolling lol hes not even a Ram anymore and now thats trolling... if you disagree just say that and then back it up with some reasoned opinion. I didn't say Sam wasn't smart. If you cant disagree with someone without the name calling please stay out of the thread because some of us are trying to have a discussion
I did not call you a name. I identified your actions as trolling. And I wasn't the first one to notice it.

Last edited:

Speedr@m

Rookie

Why did Braford have 16tds and 2ints in 4 preseasons with the Rams? Why did he have 14tds and 4ints with the Rams in 2013 if he had no weapons and no oline?

Can someone explain that? He goes 10 or 10 and 3 tds in Philly and he does that because for the first time he has weapons?

lol wow