Goff's weight?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
I will check out if the cheerleaders filled out any . You guys let me know how Geoff is looking , I will wait to see how he throws ..

Ram65

Legend
I was looking at the press conference, before this thread, and wondered if Goff bulked up. One of the few knocks against him was his lack of weight and muscle for his height. Remember they found out Jared had trouble with enzymes breaking down protein. Why wouldn't a Rams fan wonder about his workout/weight after the offseason? Article from last year.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-shapes-up-jared-goff-and-carson-wentz-042716
Meet the fitness guru who shapes up Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
041816-NFL-Jared-Goff-PI-4.jpg

foxsportsApr 27, 2016 at 4:22p ET
Heard of Ryan Flaherty?

My hunch is you probably haven’t, but he’s about to have a unique distinction. After Thursday’s NFL Draft, the 33-year-old former Utah State wide receiver-turned-strength/speed coach will have trained the top two overall picks in each of the past two drafts. Last year it was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. This year, Flaherty’s proteges are Cal’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz.

The first time I’d met the Southern California-based coach was in early 2014. I spent a lot of time around Prolific, Flaherty’s training center for my book "The QB" as he worked with Johnny Manziel and his Texas A&M teammate Mike Evans. The big wideout would soon become Flaherty’s first Top 10 draft pick after he clocked a 4.53 40 and vertical jumped 37 inches while weighing 231 pounds at the NFL Combine.

People can diminish how much these pre-draft training camps help these players (I suspect some are rolling their eyes thinking about a QB running a 40), but Flaherty’s work, especially with Goff is noteworthy.

The former Cal star whose accuracy, field vision and pocket presence have many scouts raving did have one big issue that had drawn some skepticism: how sturdy his frame is and how well it will hold up in the NFL game.

When Goff arrived at Prolific early this winter, he measured at 6-4, 205 pounds, which isn’t much heavier than what he weighed when he arrived at Cal three-plus years ago. One of the first things Flaherty did after Goff showed up was put him through a 2000-panel blood test. The process is conducted through Flaherty’s nutritionist who then ships the player’s blood work in a dry ice box back to the East Coast. About a week later, Flaherty learned of some very interesting results.

Turns out, Goff has an enzyme deficiency that didn’t allow him to break down proteins. Typical nutrition sources where athletes load up to add bulk and muscle didn’t work for Goff, which finally explained why no matter how much he ate, he didn’t seem to be able to fill out. His body didn’t process red meat. Every college athlete chugs whey protein shakes, but they didn’t work for Goff either. Nothing seemed to.

"We had to adjust his diet and implement probiotics and get him on amino acid supplements," Flaherty said. "He’s eating lots of lean chicken, turkey and fish. Working on his diet was the big unlock for him.

"We saw big changes in Jared. The biggest thing was seeing advances in his strength."

According to Flaherty, Goff set personal records in every lift or strength test he’s done. When he first showed up, he could do a back deadlift of 330 pounds for five reps. After five weeks, that went up to 495 pounds for five reps. Beyond that, Goff’s weight now is close to 220, up almost 15 pounds, and done so while cutting about three percent body fat.

These guys check all the boxes in terms of work ethic, always being on time, studying film and doing the extra stuff.

Ryan Flaherty

Flaherty, who also has trained Russell Wilson the past two years, adds that Goff has the best footwork in the pocket of any quarterback he’s worked with. "He’s just so natural."

As for those concerns about Goff’s frame, Flaherty thinks the QB will be up to "240 pounds easy" by his third season in the league. Keep in mind, Goff also doesn’t turn 22 untill the middle of his rookie season.

In the case of Wentz, an imposing 6-5, 237-pounder with good athleticism, the focus was working on his "imbalances" for injury prevention and fixing some old bad habits with his footwork.

Flaherty said because Goff and Wentz weren’t as high profile as many of his previous proteges, he’s fielded more calls from NFL GMs than ever before.

"These guys check all the boxes in terms of work ethic, always being on time, studying film and doing the extra stuff," he said.

After Thursday, the real heavy lifting begins.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
The bigger issue is Gurley' s weight considering he carries the rock. Anyone have word on that?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His weight looks fine. The dude's a QB, he doesn't need a bunch of worthless muscles making his arms look good for the fans. He's got a damn cannon, that's all that matters.

Looking at his neck, he has definitely put on some weight. Dude's gonna be fine, and I can't wait to hear the idiots in the media that have been bashing the kid eat it when he lights this league the F up.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I was looking at the press conference, before this thread, and wondered if Goff bulked up. One of the few knocks against him was his lack of weight and muscle for his height. Remember they found out Jared had trouble with enzymes breaking down protein. Why wouldn't a Rams fan wonder about his workout/weight after the offseason? Article from last year.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...-shapes-up-jared-goff-and-carson-wentz-042716
Meet the fitness guru who shapes up Jared Goff and Carson Wentz
041816-NFL-Jared-Goff-PI-4.jpg

foxsportsApr 27, 2016 at 4:22p ET
Heard of Ryan Flaherty?

My hunch is you probably haven’t, but he’s about to have a unique distinction. After Thursday’s NFL Draft, the 33-year-old former Utah State wide receiver-turned-strength/speed coach will have trained the top two overall picks in each of the past two drafts. Last year it was Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota. This year, Flaherty’s proteges are Cal’s Jared Goff and North Dakota State’s Carson Wentz.

The first time I’d met the Southern California-based coach was in early 2014. I spent a lot of time around Prolific, Flaherty’s training center for my book "The QB" as he worked with Johnny Manziel and his Texas A&M teammate Mike Evans. The big wideout would soon become Flaherty’s first Top 10 draft pick after he clocked a 4.53 40 and vertical jumped 37 inches while weighing 231 pounds at the NFL Combine.

People can diminish how much these pre-draft training camps help these players (I suspect some are rolling their eyes thinking about a QB running a 40), but Flaherty’s work, especially with Goff is noteworthy.

The former Cal star whose accuracy, field vision and pocket presence have many scouts raving did have one big issue that had drawn some skepticism: how sturdy his frame is and how well it will hold up in the NFL game.

When Goff arrived at Prolific early this winter, he measured at 6-4, 205 pounds, which isn’t much heavier than what he weighed when he arrived at Cal three-plus years ago. One of the first things Flaherty did after Goff showed up was put him through a 2000-panel blood test. The process is conducted through Flaherty’s nutritionist who then ships the player’s blood work in a dry ice box back to the East Coast. About a week later, Flaherty learned of some very interesting results.

Turns out, Goff has an enzyme deficiency that didn’t allow him to break down proteins. Typical nutrition sources where athletes load up to add bulk and muscle didn’t work for Goff, which finally explained why no matter how much he ate, he didn’t seem to be able to fill out. His body didn’t process red meat. Every college athlete chugs whey protein shakes, but they didn’t work for Goff either. Nothing seemed to.

"We had to adjust his diet and implement probiotics and get him on amino acid supplements," Flaherty said. "He’s eating lots of lean chicken, turkey and fish. Working on his diet was the big unlock for him.

"We saw big changes in Jared. The biggest thing was seeing advances in his strength."

According to Flaherty, Goff set personal records in every lift or strength test he’s done. When he first showed up, he could do a back deadlift of 330 pounds for five reps. After five weeks, that went up to 495 pounds for five reps. Beyond that, Goff’s weight now is close to 220, up almost 15 pounds, and done so while cutting about three percent body fat.

These guys check all the boxes in terms of work ethic, always being on time, studying film and doing the extra stuff.

Ryan Flaherty

Flaherty, who also has trained Russell Wilson the past two years, adds that Goff has the best footwork in the pocket of any quarterback he’s worked with. "He’s just so natural."

As for those concerns about Goff’s frame, Flaherty thinks the QB will be up to "240 pounds easy" by his third season in the league. Keep in mind, Goff also doesn’t turn 22 untill the middle of his rookie season.

In the case of Wentz, an imposing 6-5, 237-pounder with good athleticism, the focus was working on his "imbalances" for injury prevention and fixing some old bad habits with his footwork.

Flaherty said because Goff and Wentz weren’t as high profile as many of his previous proteges, he’s fielded more calls from NFL GMs than ever before.

"These guys check all the boxes in terms of work ethic, always being on time, studying film and doing the extra stuff," he said.

After Thursday, the real heavy lifting begins.

Thanks for this article. I use pre-biotic and probiotic (EXPENSIVE) powders. Got so many things to get right in our systems. My wife is head of Chemistry Department for 32 years and tests everything. I call her a vampire. If you go back I mentioned amino acids in an earlier post when I train people and give them the right supplements to heal faster as they train. I do a back/Bi...Shoulder/Tri...Chest/Legs and the all important day of rest with calves done everyday you can hit them as they grow the slowest. Everything has to be organic and pre -biotics are rare fibers that kill the bad bugs and feed the good bugs in your gut. Then you are not throwing a healthy tree in a poison swamp to die,(Pro-biotics) Thats when you start taking pro-biotics and get real results.

Good gut health that leads to colon health etc... Now Jared has the enzymes to break down his protiens so he can absorb them. Only so much Whey can be absorbed by anybody. Those expensive whey powders are over twice as much as any human ever could utilize. In other words they are a waste. So glad we have skilled nutritionists that are trainers too. To see GOFF at 235-240 would be awesome. His footwork always dazzled me and thats why I wanted him over Wentz along with his accuracy.

We are getting newer information every week to help us achieve the best US we can. A diabetic can't break down sugar in foods and it becomes poison to him and his organs . So many folks take too much or the wrong supplements and just piss them out. Urine color would be best heads up. I also only drink PH water that is 7.4 to 8.2 . AS a diet soda is acid on the scale of a 3 like coffee. Too much acid in your system is deadly. DUH. Develop GURD and other bad things. I'd even reccomend testing your own home water. Get a cheap battery operated PH meter and keep it synchronized with testing solutions. Cancer can not grow in an alkaline environment was proven by the first DR. that discovered cancer. P.H. water filters are fairly cheap on Amazon. Get the highest rated and load up on filters that are cheap.

I feel very good about Goffs future knowing he is in very good hands.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
His weight looks fine. The dude's a QB, he doesn't need a bunch of worthless muscles making his arms look good for the fans. He's got a damn cannon, that's all that matters.

Looking at his neck, he has definitely put on some weight. Dude's gonna be fine, and I can't wait to hear the idiots in the media that have been bashing the kid eat it when he lights this league the F up.

Merlin there is more to lifting weights than looks. Yes his arms don't need to look like he is pumped up but to a certain level as he is just now 22 and not fully to his muscle maturity level yet. His Quads and other area's that help him twist like his seratus muscles will protect him from being a back injury away from throwing for us. There is a fine line to weight training for a Baseball pitcher as an NFL QB. No one is even suggesting having another TEBOW okay? We got it. The kid is headed in the right direction and he was diagnosed properly or we'd be screwed. Still he will grow slower to his Roman Gabriel ultimate size. LOL...:yess:

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
A little more muscle on Goff is nice. Let's protect those bones and ligaments. However I don't think that the skills that Goff have are going to change that much from weight/muscle gain.

His release and feet in the pocket are what make him the QB he needs to be. He has everything in the arm for the elite throws. He's also shown throughout his career (college and NFL) that he can get up from a big hit.

Rob Boras in the Hard Knocks show was seen remarking how difficult the terminology of the offense was, how he struggled to pronounce certain play calls. Like the guy was trying to figure it all out himself - that's not conducive to good teaching.

Then the Mcvay press conference yesterday, Mcvay is referencing how he is refining the terminology to make sure that it all makes sense. What a world of difference this thought process is. . . It also sounds like Mcvay is bringing a lot of the Redskin offense but also mixing in things with his other top assistants.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

BAM there it is!
My thoughts exactly.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I SERIOUSLY doubt he could gain that much muscle....He's thin enough that I bet he wouldn't need to worry about flexibility until his mid to late 30's....if he did basic yoga & stretching.
Every person's body is different. He's doing fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd be way more worried if he bulked up all of a sudden.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Sorry it took so long to respond but I've spent the last few hours jerking off to all the gay talk and pictures of gossling and brady. THAT'S HOW SECURE I AM IN My MANHOOD! And, yes, I know how that sounds, but in my defense, I still don't care for bradys cheating, or lala land being nominated for so many awards. Note to self; meth experiment taking an unexpected turn on day 5 and running out of Archer episodes

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Every person's body is different. He's doing fine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'd be way more worried if he bulked up all of a sudden.
everyone's body IS different...however pro football players bodies are traditionally more muscled than the average person....For a good reason. Preventative maintenance. They all do it...It shows a commitment to your craft...that a lot of regular people just can't fathom. I don't know what "fine" is to you...I had similar concerns with Sam Bradford. If he continues to get hit, especially at his size, he's gonna get injured. All the Wentz comparisons don't wash....different style of QB'ing...dude is a stud...If Goff is gonna sit in the pocket and throw darts, he needs a lil weight on those bones....muscle...and there's no way a body like his is gonna "bulk up" all of a sudden. He needs lean muscle...You'll see it in his face, neck, arms and lower body.
Don't understand the, if it aint broke comment...it was "broke" as in, how many games did he almost get hurt in last year from tackles? Didn't he almost get concussed by Richard Sherman?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
everyone's body IS different...however pro football players bodies are traditionally more muscled than the average person....For a good reason. Preventative maintenance. They all do it...It shows a commitment to your craft...that a lot of regular people just can't fathom. I don't know what "fine" is to you...I had similar concerns with Sam Bradford. If he continues to get hit, especially at his size, he's gonna get injured. All the Wentz comparisons don't wash....different style of QB'ing...dude is a stud...If Goff is gonna sit in the pocket and throw darts, he needs a lil weight on those bones....muscle...and there's no way a body like his is gonna "bulk up" all of a sudden. He needs lean muscle...You'll see it in his face, neck, arms and lower body.
Don't understand the, if it aint broke comment...it was "broke" as in, how many games did he almost get hurt in last year from tackles? Didn't he almost get concussed by Richard Sherman?
Well those are your opinions man. Of course we're only talking about football players so I don't know why you're talking about the "average person", That seems a little off topic.

Add in your two "almosts".....Idk...

You've never seen anybody bulk up real quick on steroids in a short period of time?

Anywho, to me it's a non issue. Carry on bro.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Well those are your opinions man. Of course we're only talking about football players so I don't know why you're talking about the "average person", That seems a little off topic.

Add in your two "almosts".....Idk...

You've never seen anybody bulk up real quick on steroids in a short period of time?

Anywho, to me it's a non issue. Carry on bro.

You've never played the game outta High School. If that even. I've seen and watched tons of Backne from bumping. Lot of wife beating.(Gym fights) No ones talking bout roids here. These ARE "average people" playing a game. Thats why the whole thread has been about how and why Jared Goff has been unable till now to add muscle mass,yet on a slower scale due to the Lab work done on him. My wife runs a major Hospitals Chemistry Lab for 32 years and I added my experience after playing 8 years at ORT. Then went into running Health Spa's and training people. Yeah "average people". People with problems growing as they would like with tons of effort and then those Blessed with Genetics. Some who get maximum benefits will less effort.
If you've not been on an organized Football team you have no clue what is DEMANDED of you in the weightroom and out of it. Did all of you newbs come from PD? If you have no clue about the subject matter or anything to add from experience or expertise , then why even comment to a man like Champ46 who has? Choose the topics you choose to add to bro. We try to stay positive here and are carefull not to just dissmiss a longtime vet poster. Football players are average people who have done extremely hard extra training and work to get to the next levels. This thread has been very informative and positive about the future of Jared Goff. I personally hope he does'nt have a junk food issue after having to eat all the bland but right foods and proper supplements. We try to reward ourselves for sacrifices. :icare: