Goff Final PFF Grade

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

“Turbo set!”

Pro Bowler
I still think Goff's upside can be Tom Brady. He reminds me of him in a lot of ways.

Having said that I think the chance of him reaching that upside is not great.

What would be a good comp to a Super Bowl winning QB besides Brady? Flacco might be a good one. But he needed A LOT of help to win his ring. Phil Simms? He also needed a lot of help.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I still think Goff's upside can be Tom Brady. He reminds me of him in a lot of ways.

Having said that I think the chance of him reaching that upside is not great.

You guys worry too much. Just way too much hand wringing irt our young QB IMO. He's smart, dedicated to his craft, has a great arm/throwing motion, accurate, resilient, etc., and he's got an elite offensive mind shaping his offense from his perspective.

In terms of nuking what his future is, why? The kid already logged a 100+ passer rating season in year 2. For the millionth time go look at the list of QBs in this league considered to be among the greatest and check out their first couple years. Perspective people! :cool:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
ok as long as you give him a chance fine with me.
Keep hope alive...

For the millionth time go look at the list of QBs in this league considered to be among the greatest and check out their first couple years. Perspective people! :cool:

Different NFL now....rules favor the offense....QB's should show more...sooner...and....after 2nd year....you're pretty MAX-ed out.....Like....your most significant gains in the NFL are from the 1st and 2nd year....many say this....and you'll notice it in players.

Ok...I'll play....2 guys born/raised in northen california.....play QB.....what else do they have in common?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Different NFL now....rules favor the offense....QB's should show more...sooner...and....after 2nd year....you're pretty MAX-ed out.....Like....your most significant gains in the NFL are from the 1st and 2nd year....many say this....and you'll notice it in players.

Then look only at recent QBs. Here's the league leaders THIS YEAR in passer rating (200+ attempts for sample size purposes):

1. Alex Smith 104.7
2. Drew Brees 103.9
3. Tom Brady 102.8
4. Carson Wentz 101.9
5. Jared Goff 100.5

Top 5 QB right there by a very important measurable in season 2 brother.

Everyone was crowning Watson early in the season before he got hurt, and Garoppolo thereafter, but both those guys had small sample sizes...

Watson looks legit, but he's a running QB who plays risky ball just like Wentz does, and like Wentz got hurt and missed significant time. Garoppolo played well in a small sample size, but his 7TD to 5INT ratio is a concern in spite of the ridiculous over-hype he enjoyed.

You seriously need to relax, my man, and enjoy watching our young QB develop a bit more vice knockin the kid over things you don't like. He isn't perfect, but he's on a great trajectory already and isn't it better to enjoy what comes instead of hand wringing and being negative? We have so much to be thankful for as fans now man. Let's fix this defense and make a long run of deep playoff appearances!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Everyone was crowning Watson early in the season before he got hurt, and Garoppolo thereafter, but both those guys had small sample sizes...

Watson looks legit, but he's a running QB who plays risky ball just like Wentz does, and like Wentz got hurt and missed significant time. Garoppolo played well in a small sample size, but his 7TD to 5INT ratio is a concern in spite of the ridiculous over-hype he enjoyed.
Wentz played in 12 games....he still finished 2nd in the league in TD passes....Haven't really looked at Garoppolo much....main stat I do look at for him...dude hasn't lost a game...ever. In the pros...
Watson did Watson...like his coach said...his college coach, pass on him was like passing on Michael Jordan...and NO, I didn't see it coming.
You seriously need to relax, my man, and enjoy watching our young QB develop a bit more vice knockin the kid over things you don't like. He isn't perfect, but he's on a great trajectory already and isn't it better to enjoy what comes instead of hand wringing and being negative? We have so much to be thankful for as fans now man. Let's fix this defense and make a long run of deep playoff appearances!
I get it...most of you guys are cool with making the playoffs...after the last 14 years...I get it...actually, I'm more of a Philly 76'er model....Like the Jags...no need to make the playoffs and mess up a good draft pick,if when you get in there you don't do anything but lose in the first round. Hell, I'm a Dodgers fan...and these last 5 years have been miserable...last year being the worst.....

I'm not knocking him....I am relaxed....I keep saying he's ok....he's decent....he's not gonna keep us from winning regular season games....I just doubt he's gonna turn into Kurt Warner in the playoffs anytime soon...like never.

I think the defense...with the way it is constructed...will take some time....

I've never been much of a optimist....LA makes guys like me, glass is half empty....sorry, it's the way I'm wired now....what can go wrong, usually will.

If you're happy going 11-5....losing in the first round.....27 targets between Woods & Kupp in a playoff game...you'll never understand my rants...my sayings...never. Blame the defense all you want....they weren't dominant, but not the problem...starting slowly at home was...off target throws were...targeting the wrong players...was/is the major problem. We have Watkins...and Gurley....and they gotta share the spotlight with Kupp and Woods? In a playoff game? Almost a Marshawn Lynch/Russell Wilson goal line scandal in my book....did we really wanna win?

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
Maybe I'm off base here, or just havin a bad day, but I'm gettin a little sick of the passive/aggressiveness, move-the-goalposts, backhanded compliments, propping up ridiculous subjective "stats", and downright insults when it comes to discussing our QB. And now anyone who defends Goff is "happy going 11-5....losing in the first round". Fuck that bullshit.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe I'm off base here, or just havin a bad day, but I'm gettin a little sick of the passive/aggressiveness, move-the-goalposts, backhanded compliments, propping up ridiculous subjective "stats", and downright insults when it comes to discussing our QB. And now anyone who defends Goff is "happy going 11-5....losing in the first round". freak that bullcrap.
The rest of us have come to accept the fact he’s just jaded and will never be happy with anything Jared does. He moves goal posts, distorts reality and will hold Jared to a different standard than other QBs. He simply isn’t capable of rooting for Jared or being honest about what he does or is capable of doing.

Tano

Legend
Wentz played in 12 games....he still finished 2nd in the league in TD passes....Haven't really looked at Garoppolo much....main stat I do look at for him...dude hasn't lost a game...ever. In the pros...
Watson did Watson...like his coach said...his college coach, pass on him was like passing on Michael Jordan...and NO, I didn't see it coming.
I get it...most of you guys are cool with making the playoffs...after the last 14 years...I get it...actually, I'm more of a Philly 76'er model....Like the Jags...no need to make the playoffs and mess up a good draft pick,if when you get in there you don't do anything but lose in the first round. Hell, I'm a Dodgers fan...and these last 5 years have been miserable...last year being the worst.....

I'm not knocking him....I am relaxed....I keep saying he's ok....he's decent....he's not gonna keep us from winning regular season games....I just doubt he's gonna turn into Kurt Warner in the playoffs anytime soon...like never.

I think the defense...with the way it is constructed...will take some time....

I've never been much of a optimist....LA makes guys like me, glass is half empty....sorry, it's the way I'm wired now....what can go wrong, usually will.

If you're happy going 11-5....losing in the first round.....27 targets between Woods & Kupp in a playoff game...you'll never understand my rants...my sayings...never. Blame the defense all you want....they weren't dominant, but not the problem...starting slowly at home was...off target throws were...targeting the wrong players...was/is the major problem. We have Watkins...and Gurley....and they gotta share the spotlight with Kupp and Woods? In a playoff game? Almost a Marshawn Lynch/Russell Wilson goal line scandal in my book....did we really wanna win?
IMHO - the only reason Wentz had 33 TDs in 12 games compared to Goffs 28 TDs in 15 games is primarily due to the fact that Goff did not have reliable TE's in the red zone.

Did you know Philadelphia's Top Two Tight Ends caught 13 TDs whereas the Rams two TEs caught 3.

That's a 10 TD difference - more than a 1/2 TD a game. And I believe the majority of the TEs TDs were when Wentz was playing.

It makes a huge difference having reliable TE's in the red zone.

I am hoping that both Higbee and Everett will step up their game big time in 2018.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IMHO - the only reason Wentz had 33 TDs in 12 games compared to Goffs 28 TDs in 15 games is primarily due to the fact that Goff did not have reliable TE's in the red zone.

Did you know Philadelphia's Top Two Tight Ends caught 13 TDs whereas the Rams two TEs caught 3.

That's a 10 TD difference - more than a 1/2 TD a game. And I believe the majority of the TEs TDs were when Wentz was playing.

It makes a huge difference having reliable TE's in the red zone.

I am hoping that both Higbee and Everett will step up their game big time in 2018.
I'm sure the quality of the target matters. Ertz game reached his potential....finally...Liked him a lot coming out of the draft....Stanford has had some good TE's of late. Think they target a certain skill-set. One is tough, smart, and HUGE players. A guy my nephew play BB with, wanna say his name was??? Memory slips...Evan something...not a great basketball player, but made it to the pros in football. Nice hands...Big guy...but didn't strike me as tough.....Anyhoots, yeah it could definitely enhance ones numbers....TE's in the redzone.
I still wonder, if one guy isn't performing as expected...say, a TE or WR, when is it the QB's job to finally target another option? 2 games? 3 games? Half a season???? As often and as efficiently as we moved the ball, I'd expect more passing TD's. Esp. with the way we ran the ball in the redzone......and less FG's.

No matter how you slice it, 33 TD's in 12 games is pretty phenomenal...

Tano

Legend
I'm sure the quality of the target matters. Ertz game reached his potential....finally...Liked him a lot coming out of the draft....Stanford has had some good TE's of late. Think they target a certain skill-set. One is tough, smart, and HUGE players. A guy my nephew play BB with, wanna say his name was??? Memory slips...Evan something...not a great basketball player, but made it to the pros in football. Nice hands...Big guy...but didn't strike me as tough.....Anyhoots, yeah it could definitely enhance ones numbers....TE's in the redzone.
I still wonder, if one guy isn't performing as expected...say, a TE or WR, when is it the QB's job to finally target another option? 2 games? 3 games? Half a season???? As often and as efficiently as we moved the ball, I'd expect more passing TD's. Esp. with the way we ran the ball in the redzone......and less FG's.

No matter how you slice it, 33 TD's in 12 games is pretty phenomenal...

I'll agree with that but to have the number 1 offense in 2017 with somewhat unreliable TEs is pretty damn good as well. And I think Goff did an excellent job looking for other targets as the season moved on. Maybe we still had too many FGs last year, but I think a lot of that was having our WRs covered in the end zone and no TE getting open. I think defenses game planned the Rams in the red zone by focusing on the WRs and Gurley knowing that their TEs were limited in that area of the field.

And yes Stanford has had quite a few good TEs go pro lately.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
To have the number 1 offense in 2017 with somewhat unreliable TEs is pretty damn good as well. And I think Goff did an excellent job looking for other targets as the season moved on. Maybe we still had too many FGs last year, but I think a lot of that was having our WRs covered in the end zone and no TE getting open. I think defenses game planned the Rams in the red zone by focusing on the WRs and Gurley knowing that their TEs were limited in that area of the field.
This where overall, stats do lie....due to limited a sample size....our true offense...is probably somewhere in the last 5 or 6 games we played....not when teams hadn't adjusted to McVay's play calls. not quite the team that blew out the seahawks...and not the squad that shit the bed vs Atlanta.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

All it takes is a little googling to confirm that everything in bold is completely wrong. It's not even close. It's absolutely insane that you think you could pass this off as accurate.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All it takes is a little googling to confirm that everything in bold is completely wrong. It's not even close. It's absolutely insane that you think you could pass this off as accurate.
In a string of incredible things he's said that has to take the cake. It's funny that comment of his reminds me of a few of us talking about Drew Brees. Now he didn't hit 28 TD's until his 6th year as a starter and it took him 652 attempts to hit that number and he had 14 ints. In fact Drew has only had one season that his Int% is as low as Jared had this year. Oh yeah it was this year.

The lengths he goes to and the stuff he makes up in his effort to down play Jared are just amazing and now they're the stuff of Comedy legend.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
In a string of incredible things he's said that has to take the cake.

The lengths he goes to and the stuff he makes up in his effort to down play Jared are just amazing and now they're the stuff of Comedy legend.

There is a website term for it... I just can’t recall, but I think it rhymes with rolling

Damn, I know it will come back to me at some point

:fuelfire:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is a website term for it... I just can’t recall, but I think it rhymes with rolling

Damn, I know it will come back to me at some point

:fuelfire:
I'd venture to say you're giving him too much credit to say he's trolling.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-

Right here is where a wise man would say something about holes, and digging, and stopping at a certain depth...but I have a feeling a certain someone will hook up their tractor and trailer and move the goalposts...again