Goff Did Great: 3 and out was not his fault

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
I think Woods will be fine. The fumble was a fluky play. And even Kupp dropped a pass today. Guys are knocking off rust. Woods should settle in as either the second or third option in our passing attack.
Exactly. Preseason game 1, knocking off some rust. That's why we see so many balls hit the ground whether it's dropped passes or fumbles. Guys just aren't quite used to getting hit like they did in the 1st game. Happens all around the league. I think Woods will be a reliable target this season. Solid player.

nighttrain

Legend
Exactly. Preseason game 1, knocking off some rust. That's why we see so many balls hit the ground whether it's dropped passes or fumbles. Guys just aren't quite used to getting hit like they did in the 1st game. I think Woods will be a reliable target this season. Solid player.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
First throw, his footwork was sloppy, and the pass was inaccurate. His next pass attempt, he almost threw it over an open Todd Gurley. He still has that deer in the headlights thing going on. His next two passes were spot on though. The more and more I see him and rewatch, the more I'm starting to see what @LACHAMP46 was saying about him.
First throw, there were three cowboy defenders(not two like I said in the OP) around Woods,and Goff threw where none of those defenders could get it. It was a more challenging pass to catch by Woods, but he should have caught it if he ever wants to be considered a #1 WR.

Second Throw to Gurley...Are you high? Gurley ran his route and turned around for the ball and Todd jumped maybe 3-6 inches and caught the ball at face level. It was not close to going over his head, so how the hail can you say "he almost threw it over an open Todd Gurley?".

Scirca

Rookie
First throw, there were three cowboy defenders(not two like I said in the OP) around Woods,and Goff threw where none of those defenders could get it. It was a more challenging pass to catch by Woods, but he should have caught it if he ever wants to be considered a #1 WR.

Second Throw to Gurley...Are you high? Gurley ran his route and turned around for the ball and Todd jumped maybe 3-6 inches and caught the ball at face level. It was not close to going over his head, so how the hail can you say "he almost threw it over an open Todd Gurley?".

His first throw was just plain bad, don't make excuses for him. He should have thrown it with confidence (velocity). Second throw was a bad throw, when you have NO PRESSURE, and the guy you are throwing to is WIDE OPEN, and your strength is accuracy coming out of college, I expect it BETWEEN THE NUMBERS.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His first throw was just plain bad, don't make excuses for him. He should have thrown it with confidence (velocity). Second throw was a bad throw, when you have NO PRESSURE, and the guy you are throwing to is WIDE OPEN, and your strength is accuracy coming out of college, I expect it BETWEEN THE NUMBERS.
I'm not, but whatever.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

haha, i love it when people over analyse preseason games.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What is it that you expected out of Mannion?? I'm still at a lost as to why you didn't see what Marshall and hell even Watkins saw out of him. Are you upset of the lack of deep throws of the no touchdowns because if I remember correctly when he was scoring touchdowns in preseason it was he was doing it against backups. Honestly let me know what you wanted to see out of Mannion
I wanted to see a qb that could be a starter if Goff is out.
Won't throw the ball downfield. Can't evade any semblance of pass rush. Release is slow as molasses and needs to wind up.
Spruce got put in a bad spot because he had no chance for yac
First game for everyone and I expect to see improvement from Mannion game 2. 5.7 ypa is not what you expect from a 3rd year Guy going against scrubs

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wanted to see a qb that could be a starter if Goff is out.
Won't throw the ball downfield. Can't evade any semblance of pass rush. Release is slow as molasses and needs to wind up.
Spruce got put in a bad spot because he had no chance for yac
First game for everyone and I expect to see improvement from Mannion game 2. 5.7 ypa is not what you expect from a 3rd year Guy going against scrubs

Lol you seem to be the only one to blame Mannion for Spruce running a route that didn't take him to the first down Marker, he got sacked twice and from the game he definitely avoided many sacks and not only did he avoid them he completed big time passes. He converted on 3rd down and on 4 th down and also had a scramble of 9 yards, as far as him throwing downfield could that have been on McVay, could McVay wanted them to work the middle of the field, on one play Mannion was looking to go deep with the play action but Kupp ran the wrong route so Mannion had to throw it away, and also Mannion played against their number 2 team hardly scrubs especially when those scrubs played in a game before we did. I think this is a case of your bias against Mannion because when Goff didn't do anything last preseason you was making all types of excuses for him and your argument against Mannion is the exact opposite of what it is now. When he played last year it was the same thing he did it against scrubs but this year you expect him to light it up lol make your mind up man.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol you seem to be the only one to blame Mannion for Spruce running a route that didn't take him to the first down Marker, he got sacked twice and from the game he definitely avoided many sacks and not only did he avoid them he completed big time passes. He converted on 3rd down and on 4 th down and also had a scramble of 9 yards, as far as him throwing downfield could that have been on McVay, could McVay wanted them to work the middle of the field, on one play Mannion was looking to go deep with the play action but Kupp ran the wrong route so Mannion had to throw it away, and also Mannion played against their number 2 team hardly scrubs especially when those scrubs played in a game before we did. I think this is a case of your bias against Mannion because when Goff didn't do anything last preseason you was making all types of excuses for him and your argument against Mannion is the exact opposite of what it is now. When he played last year it was the same thing he did it against scrubs but this year you expect him to light it up lol make your mind up man.
When 144 yards and 6 points is satisfactory qb play, the bar is so low there is just no discussing.
I don't dislike Mannion, I dislike poor qb play.
As for my Spruce comment, Dallas was sitting on his routes, he had no chance for yac. The short of 1st down was totally his fault, not Mannion.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When 144 yards and 6 points is satisfactory qb play, the bar is so low there is just no discussing.
I don't dislike Mannion, I dislike poor qb play.
As for my Spruce comment, Dallas was sitting on his routes, he had no chance for yac. The short of 1st down was totally his fault, not Mannion.

I don't think the score is a reflection for what he did because all those fumbles hurt his drives stopped momentum and knocked them out of scoring range. I was looking at how he responded to pressure and all the fumbles, one thing that did impress me was that he was able to hold onto the ball when he was sacked

RamWoodie

Legend
Looking at Goff's play last year. I wouldn't rave about what he did yesterday because that's too small of a sampling to know if he's really got a grasp on things.

We all know defense is always ahead of offense at the start of preseason. However all of the Rams fumbles were just awful!

Bottom line is they won...but I don't know what they can take away from it other than really needing to work on ball security. The kid Davis looked like the 2nd coming of Wendell Tyler.

I intentionally told myself not to log in here because I had no idea what to expect. Next week...I'll start gauging the team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think the score is a reflection for what he did because all those fumbles hurt his drives stopped momentum and knocked them out of scoring range. I was looking at how he responded to pressure and all the fumbles, one thing that did impress me was that he was able to hold onto the ball when he was sacked
Sounds just like Jeff Fisher making excuses for Case Keemun

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sounds just like Jeff Fisher making excuses for Case Keemun
So what's with the excuses for Goff then last year. you called Mannion a 3yr QB which is technically true but last yr was the first time he played in the preseason to me he is basically a rookie Goff has more pro experience then Mannion. So since everything is an excuse let's not make any for Goff especially now since he has weapons

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what's with the excuses for Goff then last year. you called Mannion a 3yr QB which is technically true but last yr was the first time he played in the preseason to me he is basically a rookie Goff has more pro experience then Mannion. So since everything is an excuse let's not make any for Goff especially now since he has weapons
You are right. No excuses for Goff, this is the year where there shouldn't be any about him and we need to pressure test him to see what's really there. I THINK he is a franchise QB, but I want to see him running the total McVay offense with all of the new weapons at his disposal. GRob's mistakes are not a factor anymore, nor are WR's that run horrible routes with hands-of-stone. Goff is still learning, but he should take over some games this year and not just be a helpless reactor to circumstances.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Goff was terrible last year and needs to improve a lot if we are going to be legit. We have the coaching and we sure have the talent now so no excuses.
And he damn well better be able to put up more than 144 yards and 6 points vs back ups

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right. No excuses for Goff, this is the year where there shouldn't be any about him and we need to pressure test him to see what's really there. I THINK he is a franchise QB, but I want to see him running the total McVay offense with all of the new weapons at his disposal. GRob's mistakes are not a factor anymore, nor are WR's that run horrible routes with hands-of-stone. Goff is still learning, but he should take over some games this year, and not just a helpless reactor to circumstances.

Agreed 100%, I do think he could do it but I need more than 4 passes

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed 100%, I do think he could do it but I need more than 4 passes
Of course...but then he also should not be condemned for those few passes as well, especially since he completed 75% of them :rockon: