Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Man....Bitter much????

Kinda feel sorry for him....

But he's clueless about McVay...nobody knows how he'll do...but the early returns look damn good.

Old me cusses Mike out....I'm pray for the dude now...I guess he wanted the job.

I didn't mind he the way he talked about The Rams last year & Fisher . He was spot on .

McVay even from his article talks about pass perfection , learning the concepts.
-This week he talked about Jared trusting his pocket more , but also said the way he felt the pocket , & duck under & step up th hit Sammy Watkins on 3rd down for a 4 yard game was a excellent play.
He says those are the plays that are big during a game. He also said that with the Mack sack there was only one play & he can't put him in that spot & has to do a better job at that. Praised him for protecting the football.

Olson is an excellent veteran coach. He is right there as well , plus Matt LaFleur is a good young OC . McVay gave him the 2nd half to call against the Raiders.
I like that McVay is we , not me , & keeps himself accountable. He knows he is young and still learning. He Best himself from his time in Washington .
He has moved on from there , and implemented things from his coaching staff for the season . He will also play call from his personnel sets, plus game plan versus the point each week towards their weakness. Still always planning from The Rams strength.

The power running last week was a good thing to see on film. If you look at Gurley TD run . Whitworth had his guy totally stopped. He then keeps his eye on the play & just runs over to help finish it off. Just another example as well on how to play smart until the whistle.

--Not like that dumbass that hurt Carlos Thomas. Those players should get fined during the week , even without the penalty. There were 3 flags on that play. I think the Ref just had to much going on & didn't bother.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Always be grateful for what Martz brought to our team. GSOT will be a part of history.

That said, I don't really care about his opinion about McVay. Proof will be in our play, period.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
NOT drifting to politics....no politics please....
Personality wise had a lot in common with Nixon. Acknowledged by everyone who worked with him as very bright. Different guy away from work than at work. Highly capable, but, personality flaws (ego, insecurity, paranoia, stubbornness) under cut him.

They called him Mad Mike for a reason !!

Mad Mike got screwed by Jay Z when he was in the hospital. They locked him out of Rams Park !! Just F'd Up !!

Mad Mike had Alex Smith & could not do anything with him. The QB guru is Andy Reed !! He has always been solid & has always been a Winner !! Just so consistent as a play caller & HC .

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This article feels very creatively edited. Either way it is a bit of an embarrassment in my estimation.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
You have to laugh, Mike Martz sounds like an ageing Prom Queen that's been dumped for a much younger captain of the cheerleading team... A twisty bobcat pretzel of a girl.

If McVay was walking around like the next QB Messiah then ok he's set himself up for an attack like this, but I don't believe he has. He does come across an extremely knowledgeable NEW HC, that's hired an experienced supporting cast of coaches to develop his vision.

bluecoconuts

Legend
McVay is smart, look at who he has around him. It doesn't matter if you're the President of the United States or a shift leader at McDonald's, leaders are only as good as the people around them. McVay has surrounded himself with some very smart football people.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Blind praise, hardly! I see plenty of critical observations presented, all through out camp and beyond. Forgive us for not wanting to be a little encouraged and wanting to hear a little optimism from the media!!
Further more, how is the cast that Philly surrounded Wentz with different from what Goff now has?!
Last year yes, Goff had an horrific situation but we are discussing this year. I would say that the Rams have provided Goff with a structure similar to Philly!
Now McVay as a first time head coach is definitely another issue. The odds are stacked against him but forgive me, lm going to let the "doubters" doubt and and have a little " blind Faith"!!! Still love ya Martz
Go Rams!!!!
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it as I've seen critical observations presented, too.

BTW, I never understood why anyone would give a hoot as to what the media has to say about this team anyway.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Martz was a QB killer. His offense was very high octane and fun to watch but his QBs got crushed. I'm glad he is NOT our QB coach. I'm guessing Jared is as well.

Put down the salt Mike. Now back away and get back on your porch.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can't these guys say something intelligent? Publicly denouncing a HC he probably never met just bc of his age? That's all you got? Then we're fine! Where did Jeff Fisher get us with his tremendous amount of experience? Or suggest someone that you think that should've gotten the job. Actually try to add value to a conversation instead of saying random bs.

I just wish they would do more research before blabbing about others.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Where did Jeff Fisher get us with his tremendous amount of experience?

Fisher got along well with players, fellow coaches, and the media. Plus he wasn't shackled with Jay Zygmunt and John Shaw, so he has no excuses. Unfortunately he had no ability to hire the right coaches to coach the offense or how to put together a game plan that worked in the 21st century NFL. If Martz had Fisher's personality he'd still be a head coach today.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Despite the W/L success Martz had as a head coach, I cannot be anything but angry with him. His years as head coach were plagued by consistent disappointment..

2000 - worst defense in NFL history
2001 - refused to adjust play calling in super bowl - his ego lead to one of the top 5 biggest upsets in NFL history
2002 - losing record
2003 - settled for a FG against the Panthers, ultimately lost
2004 - poor defense, got lucky to be in the playoffs, got blown out after beating Seattle
2005 - losing season

Compared to what we've had after Martz, that looks great - but when Martz took over he had:

An MVP QB in his prime
MVP RB in his prime
A top 5 WR corps in NFL history, all in their primes
A talented OL
An elite MLB (maybe the best in Rams history)
An elite DE
A defense that the year before was 5th in yards allowed

Consider that Warner/Faulk/Pace are in the HOF, Bruce will be and Holt might get there a few years later. Martz had what I would call 3-4 years with all of these guys still being in their primes - I'm not sure that any NFL coach could do a worse job than Martz did if you factor in the talent he had.

I will forever be grateful to Mike Martz the OC - but Mike Martz the HC can go fuck himself.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
What makes Martz comments more cringy is the fact that young McVay is showing success, class and maturity.

Maybe when Martz grows up he can learn from Jared Goffs buddy.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
This article feels very creatively edited. Either way it is a bit of an embarrassment in my estimation.
Mike Martz: Criticism of Sean McVay hire was 'embellished'

Former NFL coach Mike Martz denied making harsh comments attributed to him in an upcoming book about whether rookie coach Sean McVay is capable of having an impact on second-year Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

In the book "Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks," due out in September, Martz was asked whether McVay can make a difference with Goff. Goff appeared in seven games last season under veteran coach Jeff Fisher. An excerpt was obtained by ESPN.

"What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared," Martz was quoted as saying in the book. "The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke."

McVay was hired at the end of last season just before he turned 31, making him the youngest head coach in modern NFL history. Goff will turn 23 in October.

In an interview Tuesday on ESPN LA 710, Martz said the quote in its entirety was "not accurate."

"I would never say something like that. [The quote] was kind of embellished. It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [author Thomas George] was there's only a couple years' difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that."

Martz was on the Rams' staff in the early 1990s, both before and after the team moved from Los Angeles to St. Louis. He was head coach from 2000 to 2005 in St. Louis after serving one season as offensive coordinator.

In the book, Martz also was quoted as expressing doubt that McVay could succeed with Goff simply because of his age.

"Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid," Martz said.

In the ESPN LA 710 interview, Martz said McVay has the capability to lead the Rams. Los Angeles won four games last season, fired Fisher and hired McVay away from the Washington Redskins, where he worked as offensive coordinator for three seasons.

"It's a tough game played by tough people, and you have to be able to provide that kind of leadership," Martz said. "And if he has that kind of leadership, he'll be all right, he'll figure it out, but he's going to have to lean on enough people at game day. In a tough game, that's when he's going to have to be at his best. It sounds like he has the capability to do that, he's just going to have to get there real quick.

"I would say it's going to take him three years in the job to really feel like he kind of knows what's going on. At that point, if he's done a good job, he'll make it in the five years. But if not, it could be a disaster."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ays-book-criticism-sean-mcvay-was-embellished

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Mike Martz: Criticism of Sean McVay hire was 'embellished'

Former NFL coach Mike Martz denied making harsh comments attributed to him in an upcoming book about whether rookie coach Sean McVay is capable of having an impact on second-year Rams quarterback Jared Goff.

In the book "Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks," due out in September, Martz was asked whether McVay can make a difference with Goff. Goff appeared in seven games last season under veteran coach Jeff Fisher. An excerpt was obtained by ESPN.

"What is he, a couple of months older than Jared? They hired a buddy for Jared," Martz was quoted as saying in the book. "The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy? And this guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke."

McVay was hired at the end of last season just before he turned 31, making him the youngest head coach in modern NFL history. Goff will turn 23 in October.

In an interview Tuesday on ESPN LA 710, Martz said the quote in its entirety was "not accurate."

"I would never say something like that. [The quote] was kind of embellished. It was a very short interview, and I think what I told [author Thomas George] was there's only a couple years' difference between them, and they probably brought him in because of his ability to communicate. With [Goff], you want somebody more his age, I guess. But all of that other garbage, I would never say something like that."

Martz was on the Rams' staff in the early 1990s, both before and after the team moved from Los Angeles to St. Louis. He was head coach from 2000 to 2005 in St. Louis after serving one season as offensive coordinator.

In the book, Martz also was quoted as expressing doubt that McVay could succeed with Goff simply because of his age.

"Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid," Martz said.

In the ESPN LA 710 interview, Martz said McVay has the capability to lead the Rams. Los Angeles won four games last season, fired Fisher and hired McVay away from the Washington Redskins, where he worked as offensive coordinator for three seasons.

"It's a tough game played by tough people, and you have to be able to provide that kind of leadership," Martz said. "And if he has that kind of leadership, he'll be all right, he'll figure it out, but he's going to have to lean on enough people at game day. In a tough game, that's when he's going to have to be at his best. It sounds like he has the capability to do that, he's just going to have to get there real quick.

"I would say it's going to take him three years in the job to really feel like he kind of knows what's going on. At that point, if he's done a good job, he'll make it in the five years. But if not, it could be a disaster."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ays-book-criticism-sean-mcvay-was-embellished

Damage Control.

A lame attempt though.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Well, OK then. Martz basically denies saying anything he's quoted as saying in the article. I believe him.

UtahRam

Rookie
Martz turned Mike Furrey into All-World.

mike_furrey_medium.jpg

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

200w.webp

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I feel Martz has more than likely never met McVay in any capacity. I respect his opinion and all, but this isn't too far off from just being a hot take generated by controversial sports analysts. Hell. Jason Whitlock said something not too far off from this yesterday when he called McVay a "12 year old".

Martz says his words were out of context, and if that's true, then fine, but his original comments sound like...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0