Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'
NFL
  • Thomas Lott Omnisport

Updated at 9:19 a.m. ET

Former Rams head coach Mike Martz does not think Sean McVay was the right head coach for second-year QB Jared Goff.

"This guy is a quarterback expert? An offensive expert? Wait a minute while I puke," Martz said, in an excerpt from Thomas George's upcoming book, "Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks."

"Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid."

McVay was hired as the Rams head coach this offseason after spending the previous three years as the Redskins' offensive coordinator. In his time with Washington Kirk Cousins had two 4,000-yard passing seasons along with two seasons of 25 or more touchdown passes.

But his head coach was also Jay Gruden who is known as a quarterback guru and a great offensive coordinator and he got a lot of credit for the team's offensive success. McVay, who is 31 years old, got some of the credit, but many didn't know his name when the Rams announced him as their head coach during the offseason.

Meanwhile Martz, who was the offensive coordinator for the Rams when they won their Super Bowl in 1999 and was the head coach of the team when the Rams lost the Super Bowl in 2000, worked out both Goff and Eagles QB Carson Wentz prior to the 2016 draft. He thought both could succeed but said Goff was not put into a position to succeed with the Jeff Fisher regime in Los Angeles during his rookie season.

"I watched the Rams offense last season. It was awful football," Martz continued in the excerpt. "There was nobody there on that staff that could teach him, develop him. You have a high-value guy like that and he went to the worst offensive place, the Rams."

READ THISGoff completed 55 percent of his passes for 1,089 yards as a rookie but had a less-than-stellar TD-to-INT ratio (5-7). Now, Martz said the Rams are just hiring a friend for Goff and not a coach that can give him the instruction he needs.

"What is he, a couple of months older than Jared?" he asked. "They hired a buddy for Jared. The NFL has nothing to do with being the friend or the buddy of the quarterback. You've got to coach them and work them hard with respect. But buddy?"

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

arnold-diffrent-strokes.jpg

WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT MIKE?

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Well..I wondered what Mike Martz thought of McVay. I have to say I am pleasantly surprise. I know Martz and Vermeil somewhat agree with the McVay hire. They think he is still wet behind the ears. I guess time will tell.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Martz sounds worse than a scorned woman.

He is obviously bitter with the Rams.

He needs to stay up on his porch. Oh... and everybody had better stay the hell off his lawn.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am trying not to get pizzed at Martz, but I am having trouble....

1. Martz was not responsible for Kurt Warner's development because Warner was what he was before Martz was hired.
2. He was such a QB savant, that he essentially dumped a Hall of Famer due the hand issue, when all he needed was glove.
3. He struck out on most every draft pick after he was HC, and got lucky with Marc Bulger...Then he eventually allowed the Oline to become so bad, that we now have a new verb in Ram's land = Bulgerized.
4. As for Offensive play calling, how well did you adjust your offensive philosophy after the NFL caught up with you? Where else were you exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams?
5. It's a small sample size that I recognize, but it was while Sean McVay was OC of the Redskins that Cousins passed like an All Star, and got the big payday. Now, Cousin looks like hot garbage again in preseason.

I don't know Mike, I think I'll go with the 'kid' who knows today's NFL, rather than the has-been who's carping from the stands.....

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't hold back Martz lol. Ouch. Experience is an issue but so far nothing has seemed too much for McVay. Like I've said before, the true test comes when things aren't going right for a young head coach. But saying they hired a buddy for Goff seems a bit over the top. His comments on last season were right on though.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Mike is showing why no one will hire him again. But I would have liked the McVay staff hires even more if he had got Martz to be the QB coach.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Experience is an issue but so far nothing has seemed too much for McVay

And of course the Rams' previous HC was very experienced - but the NFL had passed him by. Much like Martz was passed by after his initial success with multiple hall of famers in their prime.

There are concerns about McVay's youth - but ANY HC hire has issues to be concerned about. But thinking he is Goff's buddy, after years of success elsewhere, just shows that Martz has never gotten over the bitterness of being unemployable by the NFL.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I respect Martz' opinion about today's Rams even less than I do Dickerson's...(Which is very little)...

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Thanks for all you did but Mike Martz is no longer relevant. Jason whitlock commented on this and said the Colts are going to stomp all over the rams week 1 . Just more rams hate my friends ! Can't wait for this team to prove these guys wrong , how is mcvay inexperienced he has been coordinating one of the best offenses in the leauge over the last 3 years.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well, give "the kid" some credit then for hiring an experienced QB coach in Olsen and for that matter an experienced DC. So he was smart enough to seek experience for not just the defensive side of the ball, but also for his QB.

Btw, he did a nice job with Cousins in Washington so there's that.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Don't hold back Martz lol. Ouch. Experience is an issue but so far nothing has seemed too much for McVay. Like I've said before, the true test comes when things aren't going right for a young head coach. But saying they hired a buddy for Goff seems a bit over the top. His comments on last season were right on though.
Anyone can be right about last season's offense. Anyone can sound like an expert about that. But from these excerpts, the only thing Martz has against McVay is his age. Ageism cuts both ways -- "too old for today's NFL" is the same as "too wet behind the ears". I just like to go by qualifications: is someone qualified? do they have something they can offer their team to help them win games? Fisher's offensive philosophy no longer works in the NFL, but it's not because he got old -- it's because he didn't keep growing & adapting. W. Phillip's D philosophy still works, and he seems to keep current in today's NFL, crafting D's that are still relevant and not just relevant but top tier, as evidenced by his work in Denver. Yet he's so old he could be McVay's grandpa.
Martz's offense worked magic at one time. But he couldn't duplicate that with Cutler, or in 49'er land, or anywhere else he went, because NFL defenses figured him out. Now he doesn't have a job anymore, sitting in his office surrounded by old memorabilia and getting quoted by authors who still think he's relevant because of his 17-year-old laurels. But Wade Phillips still has a job. And so does Sean McVay. Because they're QUALIFIED. I too am very, very interested to see what happens with Cousins this year - was it Gruden? or McVay? who was the real QB whisperer?? (who knows, maybe it's LaFleur? he's not chopped liver you know.) Anyway we'll find out real soon, but ageism is what's making a lot of sports commentators sound really stupid right now, at least all the ones who predict an awful season & base their assumptions on McVay's age; apparently, their ranks now include Mr. QB Genius, Mike Martz.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Coach Martz never received another chance to be a head coach in the NFL. Perhaps he is a bit bitter about that, considering he won 53 games in 5 + years as a head coach.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach Martz never received another chance to be a head coach in the NFL. Perhaps he is a bit bitter about that, considering he won 53 games in 5 + years as a head coach.
He won it with Vermeil's team, if we are being fair. When it was "his" team (players drafted and acquired) it was so bad he got fired.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Am I the only one who didnt know that Goff and McVay were friends.....Jared must of pulled some strings lol.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Martz then went on to say; "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN !"

He's turning into a regular grumpy old fart. :D

fearsomefour

Legend
I am trying not to get pizzed at Martz, but I am having trouble....

1. Martz was not responsible for Kurt Warner's development because Warner was what he was before Martz was hired.
2. He was such a QB savant, that he essentially dumped a Hall of Famer due the hand issue, when all he needed was glove.
3. He struck out on most every draft pick after he was HC, and got lucky with Marc Bulger...Then he eventually allowed the Oline to become so bad, that we now have a new verb in Ram's land = Bulgerized.
4. As for Offensive play calling, how well did you adjust your offensive philosophy after the NFL caught up with you? Where else were you exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams?
5. It's a small sample size that I recognize, but it was while Sean McVay was OC of the Redskins that Cousins passed like an All Star, and got the big payday. Now, Cousin looks like hot garbage again in preseason.

I don't know Mike, I think I'll go with the 'kid' who knows today's NFL, rather than the has-been who's carping from the stands.....
To be fair to Martz Warner has said Martz was key to his development as an NFL QB.
Trent Green....a low round draft pick dumped by the Chargers
Warner....non drafted, we all know the story.
Bulger....low round draft pick who didn't stick in a couple of places before the Rams.
Kitna....Martz made him look like a good NFL QB.
Martz comes off as a bitter old man in his interview, but, his ability to develop QBs is beyond question really.