Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Martz and all... but this is flat out ridiculous and disrespectful. Lost a little respect for him.

I bet if he spent a day with McVay in the coaches office and film room, he'd have a different opinion on him. I bet Martz has never even spoken a word to to McVay, so who is he to judge? Let alone disrespect him like that?

Martz can fuck off. Don't @ me.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
What I don't understand is why it seems so difficult for people (whether they be journalists or experts) to express an opinion without it being taken to an extreme and becoming so hyperbolic.

If Martz thinks McVay is too young then that's fine. Why does it have to go a few steps further with comments like wanting to puke or saying that McVay is only a couple of months older than Goff. It's all hyperbole and I suspect it's as much down to the writer as Martz.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
LOLZ...yeah...this from the QB Killer.....

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
He won it with Vermeil's team, if we are being fair. When it was "his" team (players drafted and acquired) it was so bad he got fired.

Martz went 10-6 in 2000 with Vermeils team. Had a crappy D, lost in the playoffs. Rebuilt the D in 2001, went 14-2, lost in the super bowl. That was Martz's team, not Vermeil.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
"Right, he's going to be able to teach and handle and guide Jared through tough times because of all of his expertise and knowledge? Right. I'm not going to drink that Kool-Aid."
Does Martz know, that McVay also hired Olsen and Lefleur?

"I watched the Rams offense last season. It was awful football," Martz continued in the excerpt. "There was nobody there on that staff that could teach him, develop him. You have a high-value guy like that and he went to the worst offensive place, the Rams."
Not too many people would disagree with this.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.
Apparently there are hundreds of posters on here, so yes, there's going to be a certain percentage that are just going to nail your ass. :D

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If Martz was good, then why was he fired on almost a yearly basis?

His toxic personality and sky high ego wouldn't allow him to get along with those he worked with. There's more to being a successful coach in the NFL than talent and experience, one must learn to play nice with others. Ego has been the downfall of many gifted men in all professions.

Ram65

Legend
Well, give "the kid" some credit then for hiring an experienced QB coach in Olsen and for that matter an experienced DC. So he was smart enough to seek experience for not just the defensive side of the ball, but also for his QB.

Btw, he did a nice job with Cousins in Washington so there's that.

View: http://www.therams.com/team/coaches/matt-lafleur/fd03d3b3-7116-4bfd-bb25-efa756cd8391

Matt LaFleur was hired as offensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams in February 2017. LaFleur joins the Rams fresh off his first Super Bowl appearance as quarterbacks coach for the Atlanta Falcons.

LaFleur gives him another proven QB coach.

I don't think McVay thinks of himself as s QB guru. He creates a QB friendly offense with play design. There is a big difference. I'm not going to rag on MM. To my surprise I liked him as an NFL game analyst. I thought it would be interesting for McVay to have MM come to camp for a few days. I guess that will never happen now.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I think he went a little too over board, but I can see why. If McVay is really being called a "qb guru", I'd say that title is not yet warranted and a bit of an reach. I see this all the time in the fitness industry. Some new jack comes along who is extremely book smart, has a little success coming out of the gates, and now he's the talk of the town. Guys or gals like them dont last long. They teach from the book but have no actual personal experience with what their client is actually dealing with. Having bodybuilding for more than half my life, there are things that i have learned from personal experience through either muscle memory or dealing with nagging injuries that the average text book guru may have read about, but has no way to relate to it bc they themselves have not gone through it.

Anyway, just a little babble, and in no way saying McVay is going to be the new jack I described. But that scenario is way more common than the latter, hence Martz's reaction. But i can see why Martz could get his panties in a bunch of the topic.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Martz sounds worse than a scorned woman.

He is obviously bitter with the Rams.

Perhaps he is a bit bitter about that
Martz comes off as a bitter old man in his interview
Man....Bitter much????

Kinda feel sorry for him....

But he's clueless about McVay...nobody knows how he'll do...but the early returns look damn good.

Old me cusses Mike out....I'ma pray for the dude now...I guess he wanted the job.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Martz sounds worse than a scorned woman.

He is obviously bitter with the Rams.

He needs to stay up on his porch. Oh... and everybody had better stay the hell off his lawn.

I won't want my son to date his daughter.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Perhaps Martz would prefer the Rams have kept Boudreaux and his 29 years worth of experience since he values that so heavily, or maybe seeing Mike Groh as Goff's QB coach/mentor, we all know how well that worked out. Thanks, but i'll go with McVay and the QB whisperers he brought along to steer Goff in the right direction. jmo.

Going Beyond Expectations, Coach Sean McVay Has Already Changed the Rams Culture

In the second preseason game with the Raiders, the Los Angeles Rams showed that they have gone from disgruntled underachievers to a united team.
by joeyaucoin Aug 21, 2017, 10:00am CDT

usa_today_10229373.0.jpg
Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
During the off-season, we’ve heard a lot of wisdom about the expectations for the Los Angeles Rams and their new coach: “Give Coach McVay some time.” “He needs a couple years to change the culture.” “Fisher-Ball was so bad, it’ll be impossible for WE NOT ME to happen overnight.”

And maybe those sentiments will still ring true once the regular season rolls around. However, I believe that it’s already happened and that the players have bought into McVay’s culture. They are hungry to prove themselves and it came through loud and clear last night in Oakland.

Just look at this run 2nd and 1 play with Todd Gurley. They had the first down, but did they stop? Hell no. The entire offensive line willed this play into a success — as if they were going to carry Todd Gurley into the endzone. Robert Woodsjumps in and gives the huddled mass of players an extra push. Tyler Higbee even gets knocked down and leaps right back up to shove the pile forward.

What’s great about effort like this is that it’s infectious. It shows that the offense is hungry and everyone is feeling that hunger. They aren’t giving up on plays anymore. Is this how they want all of their plays to go? No. Not at all. But effort like this makes a statement to the other guys on the team.

And how about the fumble problem that plagued the Rams during their first preseason game with the Cowboys? Well, Coach McVay and his staff did a crazy thing during the week that followed: they coached the players about the importance of ball security. And just like that, we’re no longer talking about fumbles.

I know what you may be thinking, this jerk is drunk off McVay Kool-Aid. And yes, maybe I am. But I’m aware that the Rams are still an massive underdog in the grand scheme of the NFL; it’s just encouraging that McVay is fighting for them to step up and compete with the best teams out there.

The new culture even showed up at the end of the game, when you’d expect the competitiveness to have left the decrepit confines of the Oakland Coliseum. But not according to Coach McVay. The Rams wanted to win this game, calling Josh Reynolds’ number in one of the plays of the game.

So, my unexpected aspect of the game is how quickly Coach McVay has integrated his philosophy. It feels like a new team. Probably because it is.

The “We Not Me” movement is in full effect and the Rams have already changed for the better.

Ramzheart

Rookie
Martz played a significant role in the development of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger (and Trent Green). He didn't just get lucky. BTW, Warner needed the glove and his hand to further heal.

While Martz had final say on draft day, as was pointed out years ago, such say was rarely even used. I remember posting a couple articles on the subject years ago. Charlie Armey, who admitted the difficulty in making selections lower on the board, was the main culprit.

Martz may not have been exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams but he was still a good coordinator with other teams as each improved on offense as I recall.

How does Cousins look like hot garbage this preseason? He completed 1 of 2 in passing attempts in the first preseason game. He completed 61% of his passes, had a TD pass, and a 93.4 QB rating vs the Packers in his 2nd preseason game. And this with 2 new WR starters (Jackson and Garcon gone) and TE Reed out via injury.

But, I understand the deal. Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.
Blind praise, hardly! I see plenty of critical observations presented, all through out camp and beyond. Forgive us for not wanting to be a little encouraged and wanting to hear a little optimism from the media!!
Further more, how is the cast that Philly surrounded Wentz with different from what Goff now has?!
Last year yes, Goff had an horrific situation but we are discussing this year. I would say that the Rams have provided Goff with a structure similar to Philly!
Now McVay as a first time head coach is definitely another issue. The odds are stacked against him but forgive me, lm going to let the "doubters" doubt and and have a little " blind Faith"!!! Still love ya Martz
Go Rams!!!!

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'll always like Martz for the GSOT years but I just as soon forget his HC gig. Martz knows QBs though. This tirade is obviously from someone that is bitter and jealous. Martz obviously is perturbed that the young kid got a job that he thought someone like him should have. I wouldn't doubt this interview might have been conducted over a few drinks. Sounds like Martz venting his frustrations at a family and friend's BBQ a couple hours into the Evan Williams and Coke. I'm sure an apology will come later.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/22/mike-martz-tees-off-on-jared-goff-sean-mcvay/

Mike Florio

Martz sounds like he’s been drinking something stronger. He comes off as stereotypical Glory Days grump who resents a younger coach doing a job that Martz surely believes he could do better right now. But McVay has been successful as a coordinator, the same path Martz took to become a marginally successful head coach.

Yes, Martz took the Rams to a Super Bowl after succeeding Dick Vermeil after Super Bowl XXXIV. However, the Rams arguably should have been to more — and should have won at least one — with Martz at the helm. Instead, Martz had a variety of conflicts within the organization, ultimately alienating future Hall of Famer Kurt Warner and, eventually, moving on from him. The Rams later moved on from Martz, who never received serious head-coaching consideration again.

It’s unclear why Martz has a problem with McVay. Per a league source, the two men have met briefly only once. Thus, this one possibly can be chalked up to good, old-fashioned old-man resentment of the guy who is getting it down without having to walk five miles in the snow. Uphill. Each way.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Actually no...take that shte out to the curb

I haven't watched too much Redskins football, but I saw highlights from Cousins last game, and he looked like cr@p..His handoff caused a fumble..his timing with his WR's didn't look good. I doubt he gets 4000 yards this year. If Martz was good, then why was he fired on almost a yearly basis? Did he expose his QB's to injuries because he was too aggressive with components in an offense that were nowhere as good as GSOT?

never mind, I have other things to do...out

It's true. Say something negative about the Rams and one is immediately discredited. And here with very questionable opinions, IMO.

Cousins looked like garbage based on some HIGHLIGHTS you watched? Highlights?? Either way, his possible timing with his receivers being off couldn't have anything to do with 2 new starters and Reed being out instead of McVay's departure?C'mon.

Anyway, my guess is that Martz got fired so often due to coaching changes and coaches not willing to run his offense. That plus, I understand that he has an ego issue.

In the end I have no problem with one disagreeing with his view. But, to attempt to discredit him with such previously posted stuff seems silly to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
His toxic personality and sky high ego wouldn't allow him to get along with those he worked with. There's more to being a successful coach in the NFL than talent and experience, one must learn to play nice with others. Ego has been the downfall of many gifted men in all professions.
NOT drifting to politics....no politics please....
Personality wise had a lot in common with Nixon. Acknowledged by everyone who worked with him as very bright. Different guy away from work than at work. Highly capable, but, personality flaws (ego, insecurity, paranoia, stubbornness) under cut him.