Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
"Excuse me while I puke". Is that a thing people say, or have ever said? I'm not sure if I've ever heard that before.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In fairness to mad mike he is just living up to his name but forreal those are excerpts and without reading the full article it's impossible to tell what he really meant by that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am trying not to get pizzed at Martz, but I am having trouble....

1. Martz was not responsible for Kurt Warner's development because Warner was what he was before Martz was hired.
2. He was such a QB savant, that he essentially dumped a Hall of Famer due the hand issue, when all he needed was glove.
3. He struck out on most every draft pick after he was HC, and got lucky with Marc Bulger...Then he eventually allowed the Oline to become so bad, that we now have a new verb in Ram's land = Bulgerized.
4. As for Offensive play calling, how well did you adjust your offensive philosophy after the NFL caught up with you? Where else were you exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams?
5. It's a small sample size that I recognize, but it was while Sean McVay was OC of the Redskins that Cousins passed like an All Star, and got the big payday. Now, Cousin looks like hot garbage again in preseason.

I don't know Mike, I think I'll go with the 'kid' who knows today's NFL, rather than the has-been who's carping from the stands.....

Duuuude, c'mon.

Martz said some critical shit. Oh well. ED did too. That doesn't make ED any less of a HB.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
those are excerpts and without reading the full article it's impossible to tell what he really meant by that.

Those quotes are from a book.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/22/blitzed-author-stands-behind-mike-martzs-quotes/

Blitzed author stands behind Mike Martz’s quotes
Posted by Charean Williams on August 22, 2017

830933626-e1503447100445.jpg

Getty Images

Thomas George, the author of Blitzed: Why NFL Teams Gamble on Starting Rookie Quarterbacks, stands behind quotes attributed to Mike Martz criticizing Rams coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff.

George released a statement Tuesday night: “At no point in a 48-minute phone interview on April 21st for ‘Blitzed’ did Mike Martz request any off the record comments or restrain from offering his strong opinions on a variety of NFL quarterbacking subjects, including Rams head coach Sean McVay and quarterback Jared Goff. His quotes in today’s book excerpts on SBNation are completely, 100 percent accurate.”

George added that he will discuss the subject further on 710 ESPN LA on Wednesday morning.

In the book, Martz says Goff “couldn’t have gone to a worse place” than the Rams, where he struggled as a rookie last year and will now be coached by McVay, whom Martz described derisively as “a buddy for Jared.”

Martz disputed the quotes on ESPN LA 710 on Tuesday, saying that while he did point out that McVay, as the NFL’s youngest coach, is only a little older than Goff, he didn’t say the other negative things attributed to him about the McVay-Goff relationship.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
lol I haven't read everyone's replies just yet, but I'm actually shocked at Martz's lack of support for McVay. How do you explain Cousins' rise to fame?

Martz was a big reason why I became such a fanatic of the Rams at an early age, but this right here, this rubs me the wrong way. Either something was said/done behind closed doors that Martz didn't appreciate or the old man is just butt hurt. In any case, I am confident by season's end, McVay will be serving him a healthy dish of crow.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
True, although, Reid has never met a playoff game he cant lose.
Hadnt heard that story about Martz and being locked out of Rams Park.

Well he got cleared the last game of the season on Jan 1 2006. He was not allowed in booth & was fired the next day with a year on his contract. There were things going on up to that point.
It was just weird how it all went down. Mad Mike was part to blame. Jay Z was just a piece of work.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Duuuude, c'mon.

Martz said some critical crap. Oh well. ED did too. That doesn't make ED any less of a HB.
I think his style is no longer valid in todays NFL, but that's just my opinion. I do think the same outmoded style was innovative and brilliant with GSOT personnel in its time.

ninedeuce

Rookie
Sean McVay not bothered by age-based stereotypes

Former Rams coach Mike Martz played the “get off my sod” card in comments to Thomas George regarding Rams coach Sean McVay. And McVay has no issue with it.

“Coach Martz is a guy that I have always had a huge amount of respect for with what he’s accomplished, especially with just being an offensive coach,” McVay told reporters on Tuesday. “You look at the production of offenses that he’s been a part of, so as a fan of coaching — I don’t know Coach Martz, I met him real quick at the Combine a handful of years ago. Like I said, I have a lot of respect for what he’s accomplished and I can’t say anything but good things about what he’s done and what kind of coach he is.”

McVay explained that he understands his age (31) opens him up to stereotypes based on age, and that he’s OK with it.

“[W]e know that it is a production-based business,” McVay said. “We’ve got a great challenge ahead of us, but what you feel good about is the coaches and the players that we’re going to go on this journey with, these are the types of guys that you want to do that with and you feel like you have a chance to accomplish some things together and work through some adversity that we will inevitably face.”

McVay added that remarks about his age aren’t frustrating.

“[E]ver since I was so fortunate enough — as soon as I got done playing in college, I got right on with the Buccaneers. So I’ve always been around the players age, just because of the broad range with the professional level of kind of the guys that you’re dealing with. The thing that’s been really good about it, that I felt like hasn’t been an issue is that these are professional athletes, there is a mutual respect that exists between coaches and players and ultimately, it’s about us trying to help them reach their highest potential, but it starts with developing and building those relationships like you hear us talk about all of the time. I think when you do that, when you care about these guys and then you have some things that can help them have success on the field, that’s where that respect ends up coming into play and I feel fortunate that I’ve been around some great people, great players that to this point — my coaching journey has been really such a blessing. I have been around a lot of great people and I can’t say enough about it.”

McVay was so committed to the high road that he pointed out Martz’s claim that the remarks were taken out of contest.

“I certainly have an understanding and an awareness of how things can kind of get changed around and until I actually heard that directly — if he said that then everybody is entitled to their opinion and I can understand that and the bottom line is this — I’ve never been a head coach before, I haven’t won a game, I haven’t done anything,” McVay said. “So, it’s going to be a great challenge and we’re confident with the guys that we do have. I know that it’s going to be a great learning curve and I’m not going to pretend to have the answers to things that I don’t know. But what I am going to do is continue to look at myself critically and try to be the best head coach and leader that I can be for this team and this organization.”

George has issued a statement insisting that Martz’s comments were “100 percent accurate” and not made while off the record.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/22/sean-mcvay-not-bothered-by-age-based-stereotypes/

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Mcvay is class all the way. Will do his talking on the field.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yes, because NOBODY has ever criticized the Rams around these parts. Players, coaches, owner, front office personnel ... everybody agrees 100% that they are all doing a spectacular job!! Nope, not one iota of criticism of the Rams can be found anywhere on this board ... keep turning over rocks looking for it, keep coming up empty.

Hell, they should change the name of this board to Pollyannas R' Us, or Kool-Aid is Us or something like that, considering our universal agreement on all things Rams and our untarnished praise with virtually no criticism whatsoever in like, forever.

Sarcasm off ...

(smfh)

Wow. For some, I guess, it really wasn't completely obvious (that as a long time poster very aware of what happens on this message board) that I wasn't referring to ROD members criticisms of the organization.

Oh well. Hopefully, most gave it some thought and understood that I was referring to the reactions that some ROD members have towards non ROD members (media, coaches, former player) having a negative opinion about the Rams. Opinions, of which, I still don't understand why anyone would give a hoot about, but so be it.

I guess I'll try to be more clear for the masses next time.:thinking:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Well he got cleared the last game of the season on Jan 1 2006. He was not allowed in booth & was fired the next day with a year on his contract. There were things going on up to that point.
It was just weird how it all went down.

Martz was hospitalized for a bacterial infection of a heart valve in early October of 2005. It was an opportunity for Shaw and Zygmunt to can him, which they did in January of 2006. More at this link...
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1121602.html

Joe Vitt replaced Martz while he was hospitalized. I remember him coaching a Monday night game against Peyton Manning and the Colts. We had been in the lead during the first half. Marc Bulger gets hurt. Manning comes out for the second half and immediately begins whining at the refs. We lose 45-28. That's when my deep dislike for Peyton Manning began. :mad:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz was hospitalized for a bacterial infection of a heart valve in early October of 2005. It was an opportunity for Shaw and Zygmunt to can him, which they did in January of 2006. More at this link...
http://www.semissourian.com/story/1121602.html

Joe Vitt replaced Martz while he was hospitalized. I remember him coaching a Monday night game against Peyton Manning and the Colts. We had been in the lead during the first half. Marc Bulger gets hurt. Manning comes out for the second half and immediately begins whining at the refs. We lose 45-28. That's when my deep dislike for Peyton Manning began. :mad:

I have brought out bad memories about Manning, through Joe Vitt.....JOE VITT!