Former Rams coach Mike Martz: Sean McVay a QB expert? 'Wait a minute while I puke'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
He won it with Vermeil's team, if we are being fair. When it was "his" team (players drafted and acquired) it was so bad he got fired.
Talking about two different things.
As a GM....Millin territory.
As an O coach....fantastic.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I am trying not to get pizzed at Martz, but I am having trouble....

1. Martz was not responsible for Kurt Warner's development because Warner was what he was before Martz was hired.
2. He was such a QB savant, that he essentially dumped a Hall of Famer due the hand issue, when all he needed was glove.
3. He struck out on most every draft pick after he was HC, and got lucky with Marc Bulger...Then he eventually allowed the Oline to become so bad, that we now have a new verb in Ram's land = Bulgerized.
4. As for Offensive play calling, how well did you adjust your offensive philosophy after the NFL caught up with you? Where else were you exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams?
5. It's a small sample size that I recognize, but it was while Sean McVay was OC of the Redskins that Cousins passed like an All Star, and got the big payday. Now, Cousin looks like hot garbage again in preseason.

I don't know Mike, I think I'll go with the 'kid' who knows today's NFL, rather than the has-been who's carping from the stands.....

Martz played a significant role in the development of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger (and Trent Green). He didn't just get lucky. BTW, Warner needed the glove and his hand to further heal.

While Martz had final say on draft day, as was pointed out years ago, such say was rarely even used. I remember posting a couple articles on the subject years ago. Charlie Armey, who admitted the difficulty in making selections lower on the board, was the main culprit.

Martz may not have been exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams but he was still a good coordinator with other teams as each improved on offense as I recall.

How does Cousins look like hot garbage this preseason? He completed 1 of 2 in passing attempts in the first preseason game. He completed 61% of his passes, had a TD pass, and a 93.4 QB rating vs the Packers in his 2nd preseason game. And this with 2 new WR starters (Jackson and Garcon gone) and TE Reed out via injury.

But, I understand the deal. Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Martz always had a chip on his shoulder because he felt like he never got a chance when he was young. Shuffling from place to place as a lower level coach in the NFL.
Then went from QB coach to OC to HC in a couple of years.
He got his shot and the characteristics that made him great....stubborn, unweilding, unconventional, an "outsiders" sense of determination and paranoia....those same things were his undoing.
The irony of his salty bitter old man bitching is not lost in me. A guy without much a track record getting a shot (from Washington to the Rams no less) despite there being more on paper qualified candidates. Outside of the age difference they are the same guy. Martz should be happy for the guy.
Eventually, most of us become what we used to loath.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair to Martz Warner has said Martz was key to his development as an NFL QB.
Trent Green....a low round draft pick dumped by the Chargers
Warner....non drafted, we all know the story.
Bulger....low round draft pick who didn't stick in a couple of places before the Rams.
Kitna....Martz made him look like a good NFL QB.
Martz comes off as a bitter old man in his interview, but, his ability to develop QBs is beyond question really.
If I remember right, Mike Martz didn't even know who Kurt Warner was in camp...as for Kurt giving credit...I think he gives the water boy credit for providing a life sustaining, training substance, which helped to make him better...lol

fearsomefour

Legend
Martz played a role in the development of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. He didn't just get lucky. BTW, Warner needed the glove and his hand to further heal.

While Martz had final say on draft day, as was pointed out years ago, such say was rarely even used. I remember posting a couple article on the subject years ago. Charlie Armey, who admitted the difficulty in making selections lower on the board, was the real culprit.

Martz may not have been exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams but he was still a good coordinator with other teams as each improved on offense as I recall.

How does Cousins look like hot garbage this preseason? He 1 of 2 in passing attempts in the first preseason game. He completed 61% of his passes, had a TD pass, and a 93.4 QB rating vs the Packers in his 2nd preseason game. And this with 2 new WR starters (Jackson and Garcon gone) and TE Reed out via injury.

But, I understand the deal. Anybody that doesn't simply offer blind praise to the Rams immediately gets discredited.
The remarkable thing Martz did in SF and Detroit was take middling QBs and make them solid NFL starters. He improved both those offenses despite them not having a sliver of the talent the GSOT had.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Love Mike Martz. All respect to him and what he accomplished as a coach in the NFL but...

With Martz as the OC for the Rams today Jared Goff would be battered and beaten down after three seasons. If Martz had his way every play would have 5 wide receivers and no tight ends. He wasn't exactly known for emphasizing protecting the quarterback.

That said, the Rams long skid into the bottom of the barrel began when Martz was let go. He was the anti-Fisher.

fearsomefour

Legend
If I remember right, Mike Martz didn't even know who Kurt Warner was in camp...as for Kurt giving credit...I think he gives the water boy credit for providing a life sustaining, training substance, which helped to make him better...lol
When he first arrived Im sure that's true.
When they had 5 QBs.
To try and pretend Warner happens without Martz is foolish.

…..

Legend
Has an immature feel to it. No wonder our front office was trying to slit throats.

But you know...in these times, its actually very "presidential like" to sound like a bitter dweeb.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Martz played a role in the development of Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. He didn't just get lucky. BTW, Warner needed the glove and his hand to further heal.

While Martz had final say on draft day, as was pointed out years ago, such say was rarely even used. I remember posting a couple articles on the subject years ago. Charlie Armey, who admitted the difficulty in making selections lower on the board, was the real culprit.

How does Cousins look like hot garbage this preseason? He 1 of 2 in passing attempts in the first preseason game. He completed 61% of his passes, had a TD pass, and a 93.4 QB rating vs the Packers in his 2nd preseason game. And this with 2 new WR starters (Jackson and Garcon gone) and TE Reed out via injury.

Actually no...take that shte out to the curb

I haven't watched too much Redskins football, but I saw highlights from Cousins last game, and he looked like cr@p..His handoff caused a fumble..his timing with his WR's didn't look good. I doubt he gets 4000 yards this year. If Martz was good, then why was he fired on almost a yearly basis? Did he expose his QB's to injuries because he was too aggressive with components in an offense that were nowhere as good as GSOT?

never mind, I have other things to do...out

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler

But to be fair, Martz' criticism of McVay seems to target his age without acknowledging any of his accomplishments. To spout that McVay was brought in to be Goff's "buddy" is downright ludicrous -- especially since there has already been some signs of improvement (albeit a small sample size) in Goff's game since McVay came in.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh man this is like when you're oldest female friend you've know since kindergarden and your hot new girlfriend don't get along

I loved martz (4-35 ? No worries I got just the play ) ... but the game has passed ya by coach

Time for new Young blood

fearsomefour

Legend
in 1999, yes....how about in 2007?
So....
A guy has a track record of some of the best offenses in history and it is discounted because of a crappy year with a crappy team in SF?
He had a team that didn't have talent....O'Sullivan was the starting QB if I remember correctly....and a coach that wanted to rebuild the 85 Bears.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

arnold-diffrent-strokes.jpg

WHAT YOU TALKING ABOUT MIKE?

Perfect response!! I love Martz, BUT he waaay off the mark on this one!!

Martz does seem a bit ....

snark-meter.jpg

I am trying not to get pizzed at Martz, but I am having trouble....

1. Martz was not responsible for Kurt Warner's development because Warner was what he was before Martz was hired.
2. He was such a QB savant, that he essentially dumped a Hall of Famer due the hand issue, when all he needed was glove.
3. He struck out on most every draft pick after he was HC, and got lucky with Marc Bulger...Then he eventually allowed the Oline to become so bad, that we now have a new verb in Ram's land = Bulgerized.
4. As for Offensive play calling, how well did you adjust your offensive philosophy after the NFL caught up with you? Where else were you exceptional as a OC after leaving the Rams?
5. It's a small sample size that I recognize, but it was while Sean McVay was OC of the Redskins that Cousins passed like an All Star, and got the big payday. Now, Cousin looks like hot garbage again in preseason.

I don't know Mike, I think I'll go with the 'kid' who knows today's NFL, rather than the has-been who's carping from the stands.....
I gave you an "Ouch!" But you right! Only because Martz was once very good! But, as I said, he's way off bas on this one!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So....
A guy has a track record of some of the best offenses in history and it is discounted because of a crappy year with a crappy team in SF?
He had a team that didn't have talent....O'Sullivan was the starting QB if I remember correctly....and a coach that wanted to rebuild the 85 Bears.
Wisenhunt didn't create Warner and he had mad success outside of Martz.......but whatever..

fearsomefour

Legend
The old systems QB argument..c'mon man...
Not at all.
Just the opposite actuallly.
Most QBs can't play Marty's' style of O.
A QB like Warner could play in most systems with a degree of success.
He wasn't going anywhere until Martz arrived however and married his system with Green and Warners skill set.
To say that isent the case is sort of delusional.