Fisher Was Forced To Draft Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All of a sudden Meshawn is in the spotlight. Been a long time since anyone even thought about him.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Nobody in the media is attacking Goff, so I don't know why you're choosing to take it that way.

Take step back and look at the big picture dude. It's absolutely an attack on Goff! If some POS was outside your house knocking shingles off your roof, and trying to destroy YOU, would you shrug your shoulders and say, "they are no threat to my kids inside the house". ?!!!!

KDS73

Rookie
Why is it so hard for people to believe that Fisher wanted a QB? He could still like Keenum and feel like Keenum gives him a good chance to win, meanwhile want to move up and get a guy for the long term.

Why can't people believe that Fish is smart enough to look at 20+ years of being a head coach and see that his years of struggle almost all have come back to the QB position?

On the flip side of that, why is it so hard to believe that Fisher knew this team needed far more than just a qb to start being competitive, and would rather just have all the picks?

KDS73

Rookie
Take step back and look at the big picture dude. It's absolutely an attack on Goff! If some POS was outside your house knocking shingles off your roof, and trying to destroy YOU, would you shrug your shoulders and say, "they are no threat to my kids inside the house". ?!!!!

lol. Weird analogy, but okay. If you really want to see this as an attack on Goff, have at it I guess. I don't see it that way at all.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
On the flip side of that, why is it so hard to believe that Fisher knew this team needed far more than just a qb to start being competitive, and would rather just have all the picks?

Because we all saw what the Rams future would be with case in control. A nfl quality Qb was the biggest need by the length of the earth's equator.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Consider the charge Johnson is making here. That the Rams forced their head coach, who has been reportedly in charge of personnel decisions since being hired in 2012, to trade up to the #1 overall spot to draft a quarterback not on the merits of his football capability, but to “make a splash” following the relocation of the franchise from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

For a minute lets assume this is possible. Who would be the conduit for Kroenke? My pick Demoff. He has the juice (organization power over Fisher and Snead) and has proven he will do any thing Kroenke wants. Also consider this, the evaluations were close between Goff and Wentz. If you are Kroenke: you want a California guy who can chunk the ball but only in a system contray to your best offensive weapon (Gurley) or Fisher who wants Wentz, a guy schooled in a pro style offense, who has been calling protections, plays and taking snaps under center for 5 years. Who gets the decision?.... Kroenke everyday. It is his money to make.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I don't believe that Fisher didn't want him for one second, however I put the blame solely on the coaching staff as to why Goff isn't out there as the starter right now. Fisher is a dinosaur, he needs to go for this team to fully reach its potential. Just feel bad for the kid, he absolutely has the talent to be a top 10 QB in this league but Fisher is holding him back. It's sad. Hopefully Kroenke wakes up and does something about it, my faith will be restored a bit if Fisher is fired by seasons end. I just don't see that happening.

HellRam

Starter
I'm gonna be way in the minority on this one....

While I don't necessarily believe the report, I also don't think it's as far fetched as some fans may think. This is also the 2nd time I've heard a rumor Goff was not Fisher's first option. During the draft their was a rumor that Fisher prefered Wentz over Goff. Snead and management liked Goff. The rumor had zero credibility however. That said when you compound that with the fact Goff never really had a real QB competition this preseason. Fisher's style of coaching... really does Goff seem like a Fisher QB? I just don't think it's as crystal clear as we the fans would want it to be.

Anouther note.. its perceived that Snead and Co are really just sidekicks to Fisher. IMO that's a fan perception, while I do agree Fisher probably has atleast 60 to 70 % say in team roster and personel . I don't think he gets the final say everytime he wants it. Fisher is still a coach at the end of the day and sometimes management will make decisions when they feel it's needed.

I stated before the season started, if Fisher does not get the extension before the season started this could be a make or break year for him. Afterall nothing did come together during those reported contract extension talks.

Bruce2980

Starter
Why would Kroenke FORCE Fisher to take a QB and then let Fisher put him in a zip lock bag and then store it in a freezer, lock it up, throw away the only key and say it aint ready, and leave it there for safe keeping? Keyshawn Johnson is an idiot nobody believes this story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HellRam

Starter
Why would Kroenke FORCE Fisher to take a QB and then let Fisher put him in a zip lock bag and then store it in a freezer, lock it up, throw away the only key and say it aint ready, and leave it there for safe keeping? Keyshawn Johnson is an idiot nobody believes this story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Easy... Fisher is not gonna coach the Rams forever. Heck he's in the last year of a contract.

If Goff is who management thinks can be a franchise changing player, why would they let something object them from that? Obviously much of this debate is hypothetical to a degree. As fans we will never really know..

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Ya, this is pure Bovine Feces.

giphy.gif

Memphis Ram

Legend
Look. I don’t care what anybody say, and I say this all the time. I’ve seen Jared Goff for three years. Three years out here in the Pac-12. I like him. He’s a nice kid, but he wouldn’t have been my #1 overall pick. He just wouldn’t have been. He doesn’t give me...

This isn’t Andrew Luck or Cam Newton we’re talking about. You don’t move up to take this type of guy.

I don't know if the story is true or not. In fact, I really don't care. That said, I couldn't agree more about Goff's talent not being anywhere close to being worthy of such a trade and the #1 overall selection. Not even close.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Because the evidence points the other way. None of it adds up the way it should if that were the case.

Fisher has a bad history of OC hires and he loves the run game, but he is not an idiot and he knows you gotta have a QB in today's NFL. You could see the excitement on his face in his photo ops with Goff, dude was grinning ear to ear like a kid on Xmas morning. He's just a guy in year 5 as a head coach and is not going to start a rookie unless that's his best option, because he knows the rook is going to make mistakes as he learns.

Now what Fish did not expect is that Case is already limiting the team. That's on him. And I don't know why he didn't put Mannion in during that first game. Either way, his comment about moving Goff to backup tells us a lot. It means he is positioning the depth to where Case having another bad game starts the Jared Goff era.

How do I know that? Because in HIS mind Goff is not any closer to starting based on carrying a clipboard in game 1 than he was last week when Fish called him third string. He doesn't think Goff is ready, but is almost to that point where he accepts that Goff's upside is his best chance to win over the next 15 games.

ninedeuce

Rookie
From my understanding of the transcript, Keyshawn is saying that Fisher wanted to draft players with the picks and didn't even want to make the trade. If this is true, I find it hard to believe that Fisher suddenly becomes a willing participant and strikes a deal to give up so many picks for a player that he doesn't even want.

I also can't see a scenario where Snead essentially goes over Fisher's head and strikes a deal with the Titans himself. I doubt that Jon Robinson negotiates with Demoff without Fisher and Snead being in the picture either. We know that Kroenke isn't Jerry Jones and gets the deal done himself. Too many moving parts for me to buy this theory.

Last edited:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Big bucket of Meh.
Could it have happened, sure. Did it? Doubtful.
Only the owner could have made that call since Fish is all things Ram on the football side, except SK. Could've He been coerced to have Fish make the trade. Sure. But risky career wise.

If true why isn't Goff starting? Why wasn't a proven OC with a history of developing rookie QB's brought in. Why would Keenum even still be on the team? If an owner is going to stick the tip in he's going to stick it all in.
That's why I think it's BS.

Fish might not like it, but this is the best gig he can get. It's business .
And does it really matter? Still have Goff.

Lots of owners mettle. Jones, Snyder, any Davis,

bluecoconuts

Legend
Don't buy it, if that was the case I think you'd see Goff playing, because that person would say "Look you're not going to sink the kid because you're pissed, play him or you're gone."

If the person had to fight Fisher to get Goff, then he'd have power over Fisher (which isn't many people) and would make Fisher play him.