Fisher Was Forced To Draft Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
A gif for effect.
giphy.gif

That is exactly the clip I had in mind when I made that comment. :ROFLMAO:

HellRam

Starter
Well i think that theory has some PR merit as far as theories go, although i'm not buying it. I do think it's quite possible that there was a divide among the Rams football people in terms of Goff vs Wentz as far as who's the best franchise QB was. That would be expected. Having said that, my opinion is that the idea to trade up (for one of these QB's) was likely a majority decision. This idea that Fisher was undermined entirely (trade up...take Goff) just doesn't add up for me.

I mostly agree with this except the PR merit part. I'm curious to why so many fans think their would be such universal agreement in the world of big business. I just don't see it, its rather naive thinking ...IMO.

As for Fisher undermining management, I don't think that's the case. Management lets Fisher coach the team the way he wants (to my knowledge). The question is does management approve of the way things are being done?

Fans are quick to jump all over comments when they are not made by professional NFL players/analyst/coaches. Then when those same analyst say something they don't agree with, they are no longer credible. Not that I'm a huge "Meshawn" fan, it's just that he has sources we the fans don't. My opinion is Fisher prefered a different route but he was fine with Goff as well. The media is just spicing it up a bit...

Last edited:

RamsFan14

Starter
You're assuming that the Rams considered them equals. That's unlikely.

I highly doubt Kroenke was thinking, "You know what...why get the best QB when I can draft a guy who played in this state?"

So he can bring more fans aboard the Los Angeles Rams! There are def fans who follow college players into the pros. There are rumors going around saying Fisher didn't want Goff, so why did the Rams trade up and pick him first? I'm just saying, one reason COULD be the owner (who I bet has the power to overrule Fisher) wants to pick the QB who has ties to the brand new California team, the Los Angeles Rams. Who knows, the rumor of Fisher not wanting Goff might not be true. Just throwing theories out based on the premise Fisher didn't want Goff (apparently this happened with Fisher when the Titans wanted Vince Young). Based on what Kroenke has done the last few years, wouldn't put it past him to want to pick the Cali QB over Wentz as a PR move. My two cents.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So he can bring more fans aboard the Los Angeles Rams! There are def fans who follow college players into the pros. There are rumors going around saying Fisher didn't want Goff, so why did the Rams trade up and pick him first? I'm just saying, one reason COULD be the owner (who I bet has the power to overrule Fisher) wants to pick the QB who has ties to the brand new California team, the Los Angeles Rams. Who knows, the rumor of Fisher not wanting Goff might not be true. Just throwing theories out based on the premise Fisher didn't want Goff (apparently this happened with Fisher when the Titans wanted Vince Young). Based on what Kroenke has done the last few years, wouldn't put it past him to want to pick the Cali QB over Wentz as a PR move. My two cents.

Like the Jaguars did with Tebow? Come on, man. A NFL team isn't going to choose PR buzz over talent with a #1 overall pick.

The rumors are a bunch of crap.

RamsFan14

Starter
Like the Jaguars did with Tebow? Come on, man. A NFL team isn't going to choose PR buzz over talent with a #1 overall pick.

The rumors are a bunch of crap.

Most likely a bunch of BS, but I will say anything is possible man. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past Kroenke to do such a thing in a brand NEW city. I don't think Fisher would necessarily fall into that trap. Btw, what was the deal with Johnny Manziel? Did he convince the owner to draft him? Idr, I'm sincerely asking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most likely a bunch of BS, but I will say anything is possible man. Sadly, I wouldn't put it past Kroenke to do such a thing in a brand NEW city. I don't think Fisher would necessarily fall into that trap. Btw, what was the deal with Johnny Manziel? Did he convince the owner to draft him? Idr, I'm sincerely asking.

Haslam is a meddling fool. Bought into Manziel's reformed party boy act and believed he was a franchise guy. Browns didn't choose Manziel for the PR. You saw how they responded to all the negative PR he brought (cut him). The owner forced him on the FO because he thought he was a franchise QB. Was a massive mistake.

You can say a lot of things about Kroenke, but I simply don't believe that he's going to meddle with Fisher's football decisions. Kroenke is a lot of things.(some good, some bad) But he's not the type of owner who thrusts himself into the spotlight and meddles with how the football side of the team is run.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You can say a lot of things about Kroenke, but I simply don't believe that he's going to meddle with Fisher's football decisions.
I agree. He hired Fisher to (at the very least) bring the Rams out of the NFL cellar, be competitive and relocate the team. Mission accomplished.
Those are billionaire owner-centric objectives.

This idea that Kroenke has delved into Jerry Jones territory is kinda ludicrous to me to be honest.

RamsFan14

Starter
Haslam is a meddling fool. Bought into Manziel's reformed party boy act and believed he was a franchise guy. Browns didn't choose Manziel for the PR. You saw how they responded to all the negative PR he brought (cut him). The owner forced him on the FO because he thought he was a franchise QB. Was a massive mistake.

You can say a lot of things about Kroenke, but I simply don't believe that he's going to meddle with Fisher's football decisions. Kroenke is a lot of things.(some good, some bad) But he's not the type of owner who thrusts himself into the spotlight and meddles with how the football side of the team is run.

Yea you're right on Haslam, he bought into the Manziel hype, it wasn't PR (which is why I asked, not thinking clearly on it). We have our opinions on Kroenke though!

HellRam

Starter
I agree. He hired Fisher to (at the very least) bring the Rams out of the NFL cellar, be competitive and relocate the team. Mission accomplished.
Those are billionaire owner-centric objectives.

This idea that Kroenke has delved into Jerry Jones territory is kinda ludicrous to me to be honest.

Ive haven't seen hardly anyone say Kroenke wanted or picked Goff. Maybe a fan here or there.

Their are some fan's however that think Snead is more then just Fisher's Robbin (Batman and Robbin). Fisher coaches during the season. I bet many fans would be surprised how much work Snead puts into the draft.

Do people really believe Fisher runs the draft, scouting, rosters, salary cap and so on. Yeah Fisher probably has the biggest say. That said I'd be suprised if Snead did not operate like most GM's.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ive haven't seen hardly anyone say Kroenke wanted or picked Goff. Maybe a fan here or there.

Their are some fan's however that think Snead is more then just Fisher's Robbin (Batman and Robbin). Fisher coaches during the season. I bet many fans would be surprised how much work Snead puts into the draft.

Do people really believe Fisher runs the draft, scouting, rosters, salary cap and so on. Yeah Fisher probably has the biggest say. That said I'd be suprised if Snead did not operate like most GM's.
It's the BIG question isn't it?
It's difficult to decipher.
Here's this from 2012:
The St. Louis Rams hired the 41-year-old Snead as their general manager on Tuesday, bringing in another front-office veteran in their effort to escape the NFL cellar.

Chief operating officer Kevin Demoff said Snead, who had been director of player personnel with the Atlanta Falcons the past three years, was the first candidate the team called, even before they hired coach Jeff Fisher.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/story/2012-02-14/les-snead-gm/53091692/1

My opinion is that Snead is safer than Fisher. Fisher was brought in to relocate/get competitive and Snead was brought in to acquire talent. Take that for what it's worth(opinion). Snead gets shit done and for better or worse knows how to manipulate the draft and move around. As for his scouting department...IMO it's getting better every year.

The UDFA track record is exemplary. I've posted his overall drafting track record vs the more successful teams before(Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, Panthers, Cardinals) over the last four years and the Rams have drafted well. He's brought in and found good football players. I'll argue that till i turn blue. I think he has a solid group of scouts. We like to point to the busts(Quick, Pead, Joyner?) but if any of you take the time to actually pull up full draft classes from these other teams from the last 4 years you'll see that most teams have drafted shite.

If you wanna see it just let me know.
otmm.gif

It's coaching.

HellRam

Starter
It's the BIG question isn't it?
It's difficult to decipher.
Here's this from 2012:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/rams/story/2012-02-14/les-snead-gm/53091692/1

My opinion is that Snead is safer than Fisher. Fisher was brought in to relocate/get competitive and Snead was brought in to acquire talent. Take that for what it's worth(opinion). Snead gets crap done and for better or worse knows how to manipulate the draft and move around. As for his scouting department...IMO it's getting better every year.

The UDFA track record is exemplary. I've posted his overall drafting track record vs the more successful teams before(Packers, Seahawks, Steelers, Panthers, Cardinals) over the last four years and the Rams have drafted well. He's brought in and found good football players. I'll argue that till i turn blue. I think he has a solid group of scouts. We like to point to the busts(Quick, Pead, Joyner?) but if any of you take the time to actually pull up full draft classes from these other teams from the last 4 years you'll see that most teams have drafted shite.

If you wanna see it just let me know.
otmm.gif

It's coaching.

So we agree there.

That article is also the reason why I think its possible (please key word possible) that Snead, Fisher and who ever else was in on the Goff deal might not all have been in agreement.

Which is why I said originally that Johnsons comments may not be completely far-fetched. I just think the media is throwing some extra spicy on the situation is all, making it appear the disagreements were bigger then they actually were.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
So we agree there.

That article is also the reason why I think its possible (please key word possible) that Snead, Fisher and who ever else was in on the Goff deal might not all have been in agreement.

Which is why I said originally that Johnsons comments may not be completely far-fetched. I just think the media is throwing some extra spicy on the situation is all, making it appear the disagreements were bigger then they actually were.
Yeah idk maybe. I just think it's possible they were torn on which QB to draft once they traded up, which wouldn't be anything resembling a conspiracy if they liked both QB's.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm beyond surprised nobody has mentioned one important fact: Goff was born and raised in California, not to mention played for Cal. Some people are like "only one guy can overrule Fisher, that's Stan Kroenke." Why would Kroenke want to pick Goff? Simple, to appeal to the LA and California fans! Makes all the sense in the world to me. Not saying the rumor is true necessarily, but to a degree it does make sense.

Southern and Northern California are sports enemies. It's the Dodgers vs Giants and Rams vs Niners. Harsh rivals with 6 decades of deep seated hate.

Goff is from Northern and also a huge Niner/Sf Gaints fan. Nothing about it would excite an LA sports fan. It's pretty comical actually. He hates us and we hate him from a sports perspective. Yet the Rams are forced to draft him because we desperately need a franchise QB and he is a tremendous franchise QB prospect.

The Goff pick had nothing to do with Keoenke trying to bring in a local guy that LA loved.

From a football perspective picking Goff was a necessity. Rams had a young top defense and running game but were last in passing. If Goff could deliver in the NFL like he did in college then Rams are in serious business.

Fisher and Snead absolutely wanted Goff.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Who cares!?! They are media guys, after all! You know----morons!!!!

Remember the NFL Players Union hamstrung the NFL coaching brass by limiting the time coaches can work with players in the off|pre-season. This isn't like 1999 when Mad Mike could spend mucho time for weeks & months with Special K to get him ready in case the unthinkable (i.e., injury to Trent Green) occurred. The Union doesn't allow coaches all that extra time anymore so factor that into your computations.

Add to this Jared is coming from a shotgun-based offensive scheme and has to learn the nuances of the traditional under-the-center NFL QB schemes. He has to establish game day rapports with every single one of his fly guys. He has to learn who he can trust most with his body guards (OL crew) while learning to adjust his response time for the faster, quicker, stronger, and savvier NFL defenders who are bearing down on him with bad intentions. His throwing windows are much smaller and close so much faster, forcing him to have to refine his already impressive accuracy & touch to even higher levels to twart veteran NFL DB's.

Getting a rookie spread offense QB ready for early season play isn't a walk in the park.

I understand all of that, but he is the number 1 pick ! I wouldn't force him either if we had better options, Keenum obviously isn't going to get it done, So ease Goff in . He is bigger and taller than keenum and if the o line is going to play like they did in week 1 Keenum will struggle every game. Its only week1 and last year after week 1 we were all saying playoffs lol , so we will see

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm think that Wentz is going to be the next Big Ben and Goff is going to be the next Drew Bledsoe so I can see how Fisher would rather have Wentz. Especially if you take into account the difference in them being Pro ready and Wentz being bigger and possibly tougher.
That said, the die is cast and we have to make the best of where we are right now and i think that is with a different coach.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Love your way of thinking here Yama.

I gotta admit though... I always tell em that I'm just gonna stick the tip in. That crap works man.

Seriously though,,, great way to talk that through. (y)

Sadly all some of us have left is the tip...

Great to be back in the states and back on ROD. Been working on a project in OZ the last few months. Crazy$$$$$$ and friendly thick Sheila's. Life is good!!!
All that's left is win some damn games.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Honestly, they overpay to draft a California quarterback when the Rams move back to California.

And this would be the second time Fisher was basically forced to draft a quarterback he didn't want.

I don't know why this sounds so unbelievable. But you don't have to worry, it's not like he'll be back and coaching for the Rams next year anyway.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm beyond surprised nobody has mentioned one important fact: Goff was born and raised in California, not to mention played for Cal. Some people are like "only one guy can overrule Fisher, that's Stan Kroenke." Why would Kroenke want to pick Goff? Simple, to appeal to the LA and California fans! Makes all the sense in the world to me. Not saying the rumor is true necessarily, but to a degree it does make sense.

All good points, but the best way to make money is to win. Winning is more sustainable from a cash flow perspective. Drafting a local QB who fails does more long term damage which any smart business man knows. Lastly it just does not seem like Stans MO. He has no history of meddling.

I can see how any outsider could piece this together and make it stick. It definately is believable if you are not a Rams fan and know nothing about the team. Heck if this was the conversation in Philadelphia, I would believe Keyshawn, not knowing all the details.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
All good points, but the best way to make money is to win. Winning is more sustainable from a cash flow perspective. Drafting a local QB who fails does more long term damage which any smart business man knows. Lastly it just does not seem like Stans MO. He has no history of meddling.

I can see how any outsider could piece this together and make it stick. It definately is believable if you are not a Rams fan and know nothing about the team. Heck if this was the conversation in Philadelphia, I would believe Keyshawn, not knowing all the details.
Stan doesn't have an MO for meddling because he hires the right people to execute what he plans behind the scenes. He's a puppet master, that's the way he's worked for years. It's the way of upper level management in this country. Sometimes it's subtle, and sometimes not, but it's hardly uncommon and kind of fun to look for in pretty much anything you see :)