Fisher Was Forced To Draft Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Just more Goff and Rams hatred, everyone wants this guy to fail and I have never seen this before. He is not a villain or some cocky QB that dances around the field. The media is literally all against the rams and Goff and I would love to know why.

Because he was drafted by the Rams, most of the media hates the Rams.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Big bucket of Meh.
Could it have happened, sure. Did it? Doubtful.
Only the owner could have made that call since Fish is all things Ram on the football side, except SK. Could've He been coerced to have Fish make the trade. Sure. But risky career wise.

If true why isn't Goff starting? Why wasn't a proven OC with a history of developing rookie QB's brought in. Why would Keenum even still be on the team? If an owner is going to stick the tip in he's going to stick it all in.
That's why I think it's BS.

Fish might not like it, but this is the best gig he can get. It's business .
And does it really matter? Still have Goff.

Lots of owners mettle. Jones, Snyder, any Davis,

Love your way of thinking here Yama.

I gotta admit though... I always tell em that I'm just gonna stick the tip in. That shit works man.

Seriously though,,, great way to talk that through. (y)

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Bullshit_46346.jpg
Who knew you were an animal action photographer?

Kinda reminds me of an offensive lineman or three I saw Monday night...:thinking: :whistle: :fuelfire::deadhorse:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
From my understanding of the transcript, Keyshawn is saying that Fisher wanted to draft players with the picks and didn't even want to make the trade. If this is true, I find it hard to believe that Fisher suddenly becomes a willing participant and strikes a deal to give up so many picks for a player that he doesn't even want.

I also can't see a scenario where Snead essentially goes over Fisher's head and strikes a deal with the Titans himself. I doubt that Jon Robinson negotiates with Demoff without Fisher and Snead being in the picture either. We know that Kroenke isn't Jerry Jones and gets the deal done himself. Too many moving parts for me to buy this theory.

One of the more interesting moments during Hardknocks was Weinke's comment that "He liked Mannion last year, and he had great camp this year" Makes you wonder if he felt they needed a high draft pick at QB this year?

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I think with the way Fisher's contract is Demoff could not on football matters.

Yeah, I was thinking more broadly speaking....particularly since I agree that this reach for a QB sits squarely with Fisher & Snead. That said, he who controls the gold, makes the rules.;)

And Keyshawn has become an old woman.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have a tough time buying this...just my two cents.

Me too because Keshawn is dumber than a box of rocks. And he has no record as a news scooper. If Mort or Schefter broke, well okay then but Keyshawn? I think he needs to be reminded how to put his pants on each day.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have a tough time buying this...just my two cents.
Yeah i'm selling, not buying.

I could see a front office divide in WHICH quarterback they wanted to go get, but this is 100% Fisher's roster.
You don't ask a HC like Fisher to take his team through a difficult move and then tell him who his QB is going to be.

IMO

jap

Legend
I still don't buy this rumor. The only guy with more power than Fisher is Stan Kroenke. Demoff and Snead couldn't overrule Fisher.

Who is Keyshawn's "inside source?" THe former equipment guy who was fired for dispensing inside info to the press?

RamsFan14

Starter
I'm beyond surprised nobody has mentioned one important fact: Goff was born and raised in California, not to mention played for Cal. Some people are like "only one guy can overrule Fisher, that's Stan Kroenke." Why would Kroenke want to pick Goff? Simple, to appeal to the LA and California fans! Makes all the sense in the world to me. Not saying the rumor is true necessarily, but to a degree it does make sense.

jap

Legend
Do you have a TV? Every time they talk about the rams its reporters saying "I don't know if he's worth everything they gave up," " a number 1 pick should beat out Mannion and Keenum day 1" in the article above the guy says he wouldn't of taken Goff number 1 but he's a nice kid lol. How is that not doubting the guy? I have not heard anyone say 1 good thing about him since the draft, except the coaches saying " he's coming along" We wont know until we see him live but I just cant recall a number 1 pick ever being treated like that.

Who cares!?! They are media guys, after all! You know----morons!!!!

Remember the NFL Players Union hamstrung the NFL coaching brass by limiting the time coaches can work with players in the off|pre-season. This isn't like 1999 when Mad Mike could spend mucho time for weeks & months with Special K to get him ready in case the unthinkable (i.e., injury to Trent Green) occurred. The Union doesn't allow coaches all that extra time anymore so factor that into your computations.

Add to this Jared is coming from a shotgun-based offensive scheme and has to learn the nuances of the traditional under-the-center NFL QB schemes. He has to establish game day rapports with every single one of his fly guys. He has to learn who he can trust most with his body guards (OL crew) while learning to adjust his response time for the faster, quicker, stronger, and savvier NFL defenders who are bearing down on him with bad intentions. His throwing windows are much smaller and close so much faster, forcing him to have to refine his already impressive accuracy & touch to even higher levels to twart veteran NFL DB's.

Getting a rookie spread offense QB ready for early season play isn't a walk in the park.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beyond surprised nobody has mentioned one important fact: Goff was born and raised in California, not to mention played for Cal. Some people are like "only one guy can overrule Fisher, that's Stan Kroenke." Why would Kroenke want to pick Goff? Simple, to appeal to the LA and California fans! Makes all the sense in the world to me. Not saying the rumor is true necessarily, but to a degree it does make sense.

These sort of things sound a lot better in theory than in practice. You don't appeal to the fan-base by picking a QB who is from the state. You appeal to the fan-base by picking a franchise QB.

RamsFan14

Starter
These sort of things sound a lot better in theory than in practice. You don't appeal to the fan-base by picking a QB who is from the state. You appeal to the fan-base by picking a franchise QB.

Forsure, I see what you're saying. Goff and Wentz were the most talented QBs in the draft. Some thought Goff was number 1, some thought Wentz was number 1 (I had him as my top QB but that's me). Why not pick the guy who has more ties to the fans? I don't think it sounds silly at all considering the move to LA. You might attract more fans in the first place if you draft Goff. If you think both will be good, why not pick Goff? I see what you're saying though, it's a good point and that should be more important trying to find the best QB. However... Maybe this wasn't what Kroenke was thinking.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Forsure, I see what you're saying. Goff and Wentz were the most talented QBs in the draft. Some thought Goff was number 1, some thought Wentz was number 1 (I had him as my top QB but that's me). Why not pick the guy who has more ties to the fans? I don't think it sounds silly at all considering the move to LA. You might attract more fans in the first place if you draft Goff. If you think both will be good, why not pick Goff? I see what you're saying though, it's a good point and that should be more important trying to find the best QB. However... Maybe this wasn't what Kroenke was thinking.

You're assuming that the Rams considered them equals. That's unlikely.

I highly doubt Kroenke was thinking, "You know what...why get the best QB when I can draft a guy who played in this state?"

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Who is Keyshawn's "inside source?" THe former equipment guy who was fired for dispensing inside info to the press?

They let five coaches go this past offseason, I'd start there. Strength and conditioning coach, offensive assistant, RB and WR coach, lots of options to have some sour grapes when they see things maybe unraveling.

One thing's for sure IMO... When the dust settles Meshawn will have even less credibility than he had before, if that's even possible.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Well i think that theory has some PR merit as far as theories go, although i'm not buying it. I do think it's quite possible that there was a divide among the Rams football people in terms of Goff vs Wentz as far as who the best franchise QB was. That would be expected. Having said that, my opinion is that the idea to trade up (for one of these QB's) was likely a majority decision. This idea that Fisher was undermined entirely (trade up...take Goff) just doesn't add up for me.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

every lie must have an ounce of truth in it.