Fisher Was Forced To Draft Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/9...-coach-jeff-fisher-forced-to-draft-jared-goff

On the Stephen A. Smith Show on SiriusXM Radio yesterday, former NFL and USC star WR Keyshawn Johnson said that according to his “outside and inside people”, Los Angles Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher was “forced” to draft 2016 NFL Draft #1 overall pick Jared Goff (key quote starts at 38:57 mark):

Johnson: Well, I think [Jared Goff’s benching] is about everybody. I think it’s the people that have to get Jared Goff prepared. I think it’s about the individuals that made the decision to draft him, whether it was Kevin Demoff or whether it was Les Snead with a little bit of help from Jeff Fisher.

From my outside people and the inside people that I know with the Rams, that wasn’t the choice that Jeff Fisher really wanted. I think he was basically forced to draft Jared Goff.

Smith: Who did he want?

Johnson: I think he wanted more players. I think he wanted more players because he felt that he could be more competitive with more players, but they felt they needed to make a splash moving into Los Angeles and drafting a quarterback.

Look. I don’t care what anybody say, and I say this all the time. I’ve seen Jared Goff for three years. Three years out here in the Pac-12. I like him. He’s a nice kid, but he wouldn’t have been my #1 overall pick. He just wouldn’t have been. He doesn’t give me...

This isn’t Andrew Luck or Cam Newton we’re talking about. You don’t move up to take this type of guy.

The evaluation of Goff? That’s secondary.

Consider the charge Johnson is making here. That the Rams forced their head coach, who has been reportedly in charge of personnel decisions since being hired in 2012, to trade up to the #1 overall spot to draft a quarterback not on the merits of his football capability, but to “make a splash” following the relocation of the franchise from St. Louis to Los Angeles.

That’s a damning accusation. It suggests that the Rams aren’t sincerely trying to field the best football team possible. It reinforces the suggestion I’ve made that the Rams don’t prioritize winning, but does so in much more deleterious fashion.

What Johnson is suggesting is that not only do the Rams not prioritize winning, but they’re actively subverting their chances at winning to “make a splash,” to sell fans on style over substance.

Keep in mind, this is a franchise that posted the worst offense in the NFL by several metrics and kept that offense in tact, save for former leading receiver TE Jared Cook and ex-starting QB Nick Foles. Their entire starting offense for Week 1 of 2016 was comprised of members of the NFL’s worst offense in 2015. Why? Because the Rams didn’t have the draft capital to address the offense in any meaningful way after trading up to get Jared Goff. They’ve tossed in their first-round and third-round picks from the 2017 NFL Draft as well meaning this year’s offense, which started the season by putting up a shutout in San Francisco on Monday, is unlikely to get much substantial capital support through next year’s draft.

It’s one hell of an accusation that I’m eager to see media follow up on.

Johnson is part of a new morning show for ESPNLA 710AM, Los Angeles’ ESPN Radio affiliate, with Jorge Sedano and columnist LZ Granderson debuting a week from today.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I'm not in much of a mood to defend Fisher or the Rams organization in general right now, but I think this is pure, unadulterated BS. Why would they have done the private workout with Goff before the trade, why would they have immediately eliminated Wentz once they got the #1 pick, and so on?

It's not like QB wasn't a glaring need for the Rams and that was obvious to just about anyone. I think Keyshawn is full of sh!t.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
image.jpg

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still don't buy this rumor. The only guy with more power than Fisher is Stan Kroenke. Demoff and Snead couldn't overrule Fisher.

KDS73

Rookie
I'd wait until Goff has at least taken a regular season snap before tooting your horn. ;)

Was merely pointing out where I basically said the same thing Keyshawn is saying now. That trading up to the #1 pick was all about Kroenke wanting to make a splash.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Just more Goff and Rams hatred, everyone wants this guy to fail and I have never seen this before. He is not a villain or some cocky QB that dances around the field. The media is literally all against the rams and Goff and I would love to know why.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Fisher must be one hell of an actor.I could have sworn that "8yo
seeing what Santa just brought on Christmas morning look" was real
Thats what he was wearing draft day

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Go fuck yourself Keyshawn. This is going to be a long, trying season for Rams fans if we read and listen to these assholes. As if we are not used to the Rams being shit on already.....

KDS73

Rookie
Just more Goff and Rams hatred, everyone wants this guy to fail and I have never seen this before. He is not a villain or some cocky QB that dances around the field. The media is literally all against the rams and Goff and I would love to know why.

Nobody in the media is attacking Goff, so I don't know why you're choosing to take it that way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is it so hard for people to believe that Fisher wanted a QB? He could still like Keenum and feel like Keenum gives him a good chance to win, meanwhile want to move up and get a guy for the long term.

Why can't people believe that Fish is smart enough to look at 20+ years of being a head coach and see that his years of struggle almost all have come back to the QB position?

I believe Fish was comfortable enough that he approved the move up for Goff. That is not to say he pushed for it, or that he was the ring leader in the move. But it is possible that Snead and the scouts told him "this is the guy you want" and he went with it.

IMO this type of stuff is people seeing blood in the water. Sharks are circling, and it's gonna get worse if Fish doesn't get this thing rectified quickly with WINS.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I agree with board sentiment here. TOTAL subversive BS, that needs to be met with a swift response.

Screw Johnson and his mouth. Nothing has changed from his playing days. Does he think he chimes in a vacuum?

Fisher, and all Ram parties need to rally right now around Goff. Double down on your reasons for picking him. Any USC loyalty needs to take a back seat. This fuqueer attacked FAMILY.

Is Goff the savior of this mess right now? Maybe not. But I think his potential, and his abilities are being recklessly sold short by the group-think in the media. I think Jared Goff showed in several of his throws and plays in the preseason that he is EVERYTHING he was played up to be. Unlike Case Keenum, Goff has the talent, temperament and potential to take this team all the way.

There are times to let reckless media speculation go unanswered and let the truth eventually win out. This is not one of those times.

The vultures are at the nest, circling and targeting the young Goff. Fisher and Snead sit perched on the edge of of the nest, a steady eye following the impending threat.

Except, now it is not enough. They have to take the offensive and remove the threat. Snead and Fisher, (maybe even Demoff or Kroenke) need to launch, and shut down the Johnson vulture.

Fisher needs to GET THIS KID READY TO FLY OUT OF THE NEST, and have Goff attack the Steven A. Smith vulture himself, pecking his eyes out with surgical strikes. Head-butt him until his skull turns soft, if necessary. (n)

Words AND actions are called for. Enough. Collectively grow a pair and stand for something. And before anyone responds that it doesn't matter, I say it does. Public crucifixion before he gets a chance will cause enormous undue pressure. Unnecessary and unwarranted hyper-scrutiny will narrow this kids margin for error to rediculous levels!

:rant:F these people!! I'm getting hot.

"A lie gets half way around the world before the truth has a chance to put its pants on." Winston Churchill.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Nobody in the media is attacking Goff, so I don't know why you're choosing to take it that way.

Do you have a TV? Every time they talk about the rams its reporters saying "I don't know if he's worth everything they gave up," " a number 1 pick should beat out Mannion and Keenum day 1" in the article above the guy says he wouldn't of taken Goff number 1 but he's a nice kid lol. How is that not doubting the guy? I have not heard anyone say 1 good thing about him since the draft, except the coaches saying " he's coming along" We wont know until we see him live but I just cant recall a number 1 pick ever being treated like that.